Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Swinging In The Rain. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Swinging In The Rain. (500 Views)

Kiss In The Rain / The Rain - A Story By Ucmacanthony / The Rain (Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 6:27am On May 01, 2018
Hello guys,
This is my first attempt at writing a medical fiction with a Nigerian setting. I will like you guys to comment your thoughts.
And guys while you are criticizing, be mindful of the writers feelings grin biko... There is this thing called correction with love...
I will try to update regularly and will inform you if I wont be able to update.
Most importantly do not copy... Please
Yours sincerely
EKYDEL.
Re: Swinging In The Rain. by Nobody: 6:53am On May 01, 2018
following

1 Like

Re: Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 9:38am On May 01, 2018
apter one

Not so cool day

All my life I have been searching for that individual that will capture my heart but more often than not I have been disappointed. dusting off imaginary dust off my oh so flat but, I walk into the pristine hall of the Mediterranean hospital.
Here let me introduce myself, I am Lanre Tomide valentine, and I am one of the surgeon in this hospital, a neurosurgeon to be precise am proud of that fact. I am also happy and to tell you I have everything, well except…. Aimasiko blast of my phone like a code red alarm from the emergence room, sighing I picked the call, "mum, good morning"
"yes Tomide"she answered sweetly, scratch that, when she says that I know am in a whole lot of shit. Looking up to the heavens I said a quick prayer for strength.
"are you with me Tomide" her voice brought my prayer to halt, well so much for having a praying mother. "I just want you to know that we are praying for you in fact we've been on quite a number of fasting and prayer concerning your issue."
"What issue is that mom?" I answered getting quite irritated.
"You not been able to keep a man of course, you let all the good men go. Tomide it is not a good thing." She said all in one breath.
"Doctor Lanre your presence is needed in the conference room" one of the resident doctor called at me looking quite flustered.
"Well, here goes my call mom, I have to end our bonding time." I told my mum sweetly."
"Young woman don’t go sarcastic on me." she retorted.
I can picture her making her favourite don’t you dare eyes "you took after your father not me at all" is her favourite parting quote when it comes to me and she did not disappoint, as she ended the call with that or let's say I manage to hear it .

Now don’t take that to heart she says that all the time, I bounce down the hall with my braids swinging after me.
One two three… I lost count as I bounced my way up to the conference room. I was about pushing the door open when a blast of cool air hit me square on the face; sorry I wasn’t prepared for that.
"Ah! Doctor, we all have been waiting for you" doctor Olamigoke struggle to say under his breath, you see we both aren't actually best of Friends let's just say we are in a convenient work relationship.
"Good morning doctor Ola" I said in my saccharine voice.

I entered and got myself a seat near another empty space, so you see I kind of like my space. Good Morning, I greeted every one. "how nice of you to join us Miss" my director said in his most gentle voice which to me still seem like a roaring of the thunder.
Sir I retorted, " I wasn’t aware of any meeting scheduled for this time, and moreover I just finished a cerebral aneurysm clipping about 2am today sir I think I do deserve some hours of rest." It seems my day wasn’t going to get any better.

"Well you would have if you are always checking your mails, but you don’t do you? What kind of doctor does that make you? Answer me kid."
Slight murmur went up amidst my colleagues. oh, that struck but am not about to let that pass, the last time I checked 27 isn't a kid plus am way older than his firstborn who happen to have gotten married, last week I suppose.

"With all due respect sir, the last time I checked 27 isn't young, isn't that about 4 years older than your first daughter who got married last week?" I said smirking a bit
"That’s the point! only irresponsible women don’t get married by your age". Director Chuwukuka all but said in his happy mood. Jesus see shading, seriously can this day turn any worse?
"Did you not say during your autobiography of a speech the other day that you married your wife at 28, does that rule apply to her too? Anyway, sir can we not get too personal, I would like if you can lead us into the business of the day"
The room went into utter silence, it was as if the lord was about to speak. I am not actually this savage but most times this man always manage to bring out the best in me if you know what I mean.
"That was quite out of this world" a voice said next to me, I looked at him to have an over view of his looks. Not bad for a doctor I don’t actually expect him to be any better.
“Thanks, but I will say can we rather not talk about it, I like to keep my business personal”. I gave him my keep shut if you know what’s best for you look.
“But you just made your business public by your little drama with the director” he said
“See, I don’t know you but when I make my business public, I restrict the number of people who can comment and right now I don’t think you fall in to the categories of people who should comment, look around and be a good doctor don’t start your first day picking the wrong sides” I responded with my charming smile.

“Oh good, you guys have started bonding very good maybe you can keep this one” Dr Chuwukuka said breaking off our little party, but guys what is it with this people and keeping? I don’t play ball in fact I hate games, first my mum, now my director.
So he continued, “the purpose of this meeting is to introduce to you individuals who will be getting into the assistant professor of medicine position and as you know we have just two slots so I will be introducing to you doctor kelvin Nnamdi Owolabi” I was listening only to hear the chair scrape besides me, jeez can people not focus without making noise I was thinking, only to hear the conference erupt in claps I looked up to see the annoying guy get flustered. So, he is the one, its obvious others saw it coming I bet you did too. But I never did.

That isn’t even the point right now, this whole thing means that, the other annoying doctor Olamigoke will be taking the second slot. Sighs, I have worked hard for this position, well no hard feeling I only have to work harder and now they all are talking of marriage please I have a career to purs... I was rudely interrupted of my thought by a hand shaking my shoulder what in God’s name is this guy’s problem? I looked up to see other doctors’ expectant looks. What I asked him.
“I knew you won’t even be paying attention to your own name” the directors brooding voice draw back my attention to him, I turned in time to see him roll his eyes. Really? I thought.

“Despite your rudeness and attitude, Miss valentine you have been offered the second position of the assistant professor. We cannot but acknowledge the fact that you are quite good at what you do and hardworking too” he said but why do I keep noticing that he stressed the Miss title can’t he just focus on the doctor thing? Wait, did I hear my name and assistant professor in one sentence? OMG I got the position!!!!! I jumped up really happy with myself I felt someone gave my handkerchief I looked up at Nnamdi then he pointed to my face only then did I notice I had been crying.

"Thanks, I am expected to show emotions after all my amygdala is still active" I told him while I collected his offer.

I was saying that when I got enveloped in a tight hug from colleagues and some lots of congratulations and a I wish to be like you. At that statement from a student doctor I though, my dear you don’t want to suffer my plight. I will tell you about that later scratch that you are going to see that soon.
"Ok ok ok break up the party, I will like to see our assistant professor’s you guys can leave while both doctors wait, thanks." My director said all smiles. why is he happy to say that, now that makes me feel like he has something evil up his sleeves.
After the last person left, the director decided to drop his bomb shell,
"congratulations to both of you but you know…" I lost track of what he has to say this is because my director likes to tell his history all over again and I can’t count the number of times I have heard that… I looked up in time to catch his bomb shell “…so since you guys have the same position and the office is large you guys will have to share”
“what!!!” I screamed “but sir you know I love my personal space, not to mention sharing an office space with him I pointed at Nnamdi. Say something” I poked Nnamdi, if I had known he is going to add to my problems I wouldn’t have done that.
“I don’t have a problem sharing an office with her sir in fact I think it is going to be great time I could get to learn from her and since am new she gets to show me around” he said with a big grin.
“good that settles it then” the director said in a semi sing song tune. “Okay sir what large office are we moving to” I said trying to be calm.
The director to my uttermost surprise said “you my dear, are not moving out of your office you will be adjusting so he can move in. take it as a practise for when you will be living with your husband. Congratulations again” he said before strutting out of the conference room.
What in God’s name just happened this day is totally a tragedy ok maybe with a little of happiness. Must he rub my marital status on my face at all times. "And you..." I turned at Nnamdi only to see him taking a bow out of the room. Coward I thought.
I sat down tired, in hours I went from happy to sad to sad to extremely happy now to sadness and to think my day is just starting wahala wa o. Oh!I forgot to tell you I am Yoruba too.
Re: Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 9:41am On May 01, 2018
Okay, here is the very first chapter. Please don't forget to comment. Correct, but with my feeling at heart. Thanks. And Oh, don't forget to tag other readers too... Thanks
EKYDEL
Re: Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 11:37am On May 01, 2018
Onijagidijagan Gucciqueen38 Sammy07 pu7pl3 tflaymez divided nye twisteddany mercy0008 Donnellie afolabiwunmi frankdaholy miqos02 nittroboy Elfaris RickyMARIO maynia dingbang tjquib heylius collinometricx EKLE iampere Aniwhyte duruanyimhenry pheals Kingstone32 DeadRat Despirado21 sunnelzky omaigala12 lucksofy negzi vichrix jamilkb ianTOBBY 77al adedayo3193 olive33 mhizroh22 thebrightest demikol adeniyilamlek dhsfbi neurojosh Neeklaus Princehedris olumidephilip, oyindindi,
Oyinprince, shewrites,
Re: Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 6:02pm On May 06, 2018
I am sorry to say this, whether I will continue this book or not will be determined by your response... I need to know how you feel and your thoughts about the book thank you. Please comment.

1 Like

Re: Swinging In The Rain. by ekydel09(f): 2:08pm On May 07, 2018
I moved my tired self out of the conference room, I decided to make a stop at the ladies’ room before retrieving my schedule for the day at the reception. The room actually has a nice look to it, it’s my third favourite room in this hospital. I mean you can just enter one of the toilets and pull yourself together especially after a day like this, I can’t afford to take my tear stain face out to the reception, it’s going to be one hell of a news I can imagine the grape vine saying something like “Dr Lanre valentine, was finally brought down by the director for the neurosurgery department, it pained her that she cried”
like really, most of those nurses believes am too cruel to have feelings and am high handed but seriously am not the person they make me to be, I can be the gentlest lamb.
“Hmm so cool” I said to myself Cool water feels nice on the face it makes me feel refreshed. I splashed some more on my face preparing to leave. That’s when I noticed I wasn’t alone, I heard Tumininu one of the house officer under my supervision voice “she was so fierce with the director, actually she is the only one who can stand up to him that way” ok am happy, isn’t that a complement?
“That’s why she isn’t married yet! no man takes to been talked back at, she is a man and a man can marry another man well except they are gay” the other person whom god knows said.
“Don’t you know that the director was being rude too?” thank you ooo I thought. “He went to personal. And she isn’t all robot if you ask me, don’t you see the way she cried when she heard her name been called plus the way she looked at me when I said I wanted to be like her. Mehn I love that woman just… I heard she’s never liked anyone before and that spells that she can’t like me no matter how much I try.” She sounded like she gave up “But to me she isn’t all robot oo”
the funny thing is I actually prefer Tumininu to any of my medical officers she is quite good and will make a good surgeon.
Seriously, can you imagine that brat called me a man, not their fault I blame my dad for giving me a male’s name because he loved the boy child. Plus, my stand still remains that I take no shit from nobody; I simply give you your size so it doesn’t sound like I have a sacred cow. I love equity before the law not equality before the law. I finished my business after felt them leaving checking my time. I was shocked “wow so I spent twenty minutes in there…” I said when I heard something crash to the floor. I looked up to see a girl I assumed she was the other Bonga fish spewing rubbish.
“What department are you this week?” I asked her. “Emergency” she said getting scared,
I wanted to say something nasty to her but I thought of it, she must be or have been in a relationship where she isn’t allowed to talk. So, I changed my mind and gave her a thorough look, noticed a slight bruise to her face, none of my business I thought.
“miss or doctor…” I tried reading the name on her tag but I suck at it my glasses definitely need some changing.
I am part of those doctors that use thick lens. years of direct contact with your pc and bad handwritten reports from my colleagues and textbooks that looks as if the company producing it were trying to manage web space or the paper will do that to you.
“Sandra,” she supplied. I give her that she is quite perceptive.
“Ha! yes miss Sandra, it’s good to speak your mind and don’t let people talk you down especially when you are not wrong. It feels good knowing that you have said your mind.” I turned to leave but not before giving her my parting shot. “Please learn to speak for yourself because in the end nobody will” I smiled at her and swayed my way out of the room. You know the line kill them with kindness? I think I just used it! who said cartoons are not educative?
I entered my office to find Dr Nnamdi sprawled on my couch, ok our couch but could he be a little reasonable? that my sanctuary. Ok I think I can manage.
“So how are you” he said. I gave him the are you kidding look. I walked in and assessed the change slowly.
“Look, I know you don’t like me but I think that’s because we got off on the wrong side” he said throwing his arm all over the place then finally out at me and he made a doe eyes too really? What are we two? that made me want to laugh though. The look sucks on him. I considered him, since we are going to be together for a while I think we should get used to each other’s annoying presence.
“I am Lanre Tomide valentine” I deadpanned
“ok that’s a good start, Tomide I like that better I will call you that.” He said smiling. Ok I think I won’t have a problem with this guy a think I like him already, there is something about his smile that makes me want to smile too, you know those smile that makes your whole eyes flash like we do when we are checking the vitals in neurosurgery. That’s his smile. It lights up his face.
I gave him a look over and said “friends then” he gave me that smile and said “I had thought you would never say that! I was told that I am going to have a lot of difficult in that aspect” then he did the unimaginable, he hugged me!!!

(1) (Reply)

Karma's Romance - An Interesting Story / The Value Thieve (flashfiction) Akíntayo Akinjide / Our Mad Uncle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.