Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,402 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant (40110 Views)

Nigerian Man Asked To Leave UK After His Cheating Wife Files For Divorce / Nigerian Children - Boys Were Asked To Slap A Girl. See What Happened Next! / Lady Accused Of Abandoning Her House Help At A Restaurant Speaks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TalkTalkTwins(m): 2:44am On May 03, 2018

The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has ordered a Toronto restaurant to pay a black customer $10,000 Canadian dollars for racially discriminating against him and his friends.

Emile Wickham was celebrating his 28th birthday with three friends when the group decided to grab a bite at Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant on May 3, 2014.
The four were the only black patrons in the restaurant, Wickham said, and they were stunned when the waiter demanded they pay before they were served
When the group complained, they were told it was policy, according to their testimony.
"I still felt skeptical, so then I approached other tables," Wickham told CNN. No one else he spoke with had been asked to prepay, he said.
"There was frustration initially. And that frustration turned into a feeling of dejection and sadness," he said.

The restaurant's response
Nearly a year after the incident, Wickham, who is originally from Nigeria, could not stop thinking about what happened.
As the anniversary approached, he filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal.
The restaurant said it had seen an influx of dine-and-dash incidents, and that it asked customers who weren't "regulars" to prepay, according to the ruling.
But adjudicator Esi Codjoe said she found no evidence such a policy was real. Earlier this month, she ruled the restaurant had racially profiled the students.

It says it will appeal
In a statement shared with CNN, Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant expressed deep concern over the situation and highlighted that management has since changed.
"There are a number of sensitivities and considerations about this situation, and for that reason, the tribunal outcome is under appeal by legal representatives.
"At this time we cannot comment further, beyond emphasizing that the current owner and staff are dedicated to be a committed, inclusive and responsible member of the community."
Wickham said he will continue to fight his case if needed.
"It happens in our daily life, work life, social activity," he said.
"The average Canadian never calls themselves racist, but if a significant part of the population have legitimate stories of being discriminated against, this has to be seen beyond the scope of a restaurant claim."

Source: http://www.reporter247.org/2018/05/a-black-customer-was-asked-to-prepay.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Worksunlimited: 3:06am On May 03, 2018
Justice!.. Racial discrimination shouldn't be encouraged..

First to comment.. cheesy

56 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by iomoge2(f): 3:07am On May 03, 2018
cheesy
Good judge.
Appeal fire.
They shu just give my brother man his 10k bay

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by obaival(m): 3:07am On May 03, 2018
Can someone sleep and live us alone

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Badboiz(m): 3:08am On May 03, 2018
Make I sleep small, I will comment when I wake up

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by mayowascholar(m): 3:08am On May 03, 2018
Noted
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by koxi: 3:10am On May 03, 2018
Good one...
Even here in the U.S. we face different forms of racism and discrimination...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by bomasek(m): 3:10am On May 03, 2018
Make I sleep,una ndo
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Dawalexdg8: 3:11am On May 03, 2018
I pray he win d appeal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by foliman(m): 3:13am On May 03, 2018
I feel no sorry for you guys... We'll be supporting you right from here when such issue arises and yet you choose to be over racist to us.

Thinking out loud for Christ sake who remember the J. Cole comment by one African American to Nigerians?

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Boss13: 3:13am On May 03, 2018
That was how one Asian man asked me today at a restaurant in Mississauga if he could help me. The way I squeeze my face answer am, he quickly respected himself. I was highly disappointed because I visit the restaurant frequently despite the fact they gave me rice without seasoning and salmon to eat the last time. He was very fortunate that I was in good spirit else I would have raised my voice against his discrimination. Nonsense!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by martinlooter(m): 3:14am On May 03, 2018
If I have five Friends, we will just do eat and run, when these restaurants ask us to prepay, we sue and get 10k to share

All of you saying you want to sleep, me I can't sleep, cos I am so broke I can't buy data, I am only using MTN Pulse night plan at N25. After now, I can't browse till 12midnight tomorrow.

If you want to buy data for me, my number is 08138129166. I will appreciate.
Thanks

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Uyi168: 3:14am On May 03, 2018
ETHNIC sentiments we practise here is far worse..

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Awoofawo(m): 3:16am On May 03, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by hischoice(m): 3:17am On May 03, 2018
The narratives have to change.

We've all got these biases. We've thought it in our hearts. Sometimes, careless enough to let it out through our mouths and our deeds.

It's just a rather too sensitive place our world's become.

Would you continue to serve non-prepaying Yorubas in your restaurants if 20-30% of his kind bail after dining every day?

And this, sure wouldn't be about you being his brother or not. First instinct is the survival of your business viz-a-viz your wife, daughters and/or sons.

No business, in today's world, I believe sets out to be deliberately racially discriminatory; so much as to push the agenda through their staff training.

I live, not in Nigeria and I have been racially discriminated against. Yes. But not more than I have been ethnically profiled back home. And no less than I have, subconsciously, racially and ethnically profiled persons too; and acted favourably or otherwise based on my bias.

What I have learned therefore is to relish the moment if I find myself a victim today (so long there is no threat to my life). The table turns rather too often.

And if for some reasons my villain and I would have to endure a medium to long term relationship (like co-workers), what I do is work on myself, my attutudes, et al to earn his trust. The humanity in him will prevail.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by emmabest2000(m): 3:19am On May 03, 2018
obaival:
Can someone sleep and live us alone

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by ayourbamie: 3:20am On May 03, 2018
And someone said slavery was by choice

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Promismike(m): 3:22am On May 03, 2018
Ok
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Dembuk2009: 3:25am On May 03, 2018
Boss13:
That was how one Asian man asked me today at a restaurant in Mississauga if he could help me. The way I squeeze my face answer am, he quickly respected himself. I was highly disappointed because I visit the restaurant frequently despite the fact they gave me rice without seasoning and salmon to eat the last time. He was very fortunate that I was in good spirit else I would have raised my voice against his discrimination. Nonsense!

I find this funny..... cheesy
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by ThinkWISELY(m): 3:28am On May 03, 2018
Nigerians gat no chill, i was walking past a restaurant in Lagos today and I saw a sign post in front the restaurant,which reads : "A very happy sales boy needed apply within“.

I was like wtf, which one is a very happy sales boy again, are they pre installed sad ones cry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by sisisioge: 3:33am On May 03, 2018
grin grin grin

Chinese peeps too being racists in a country not theirs? Ndi aras!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Sharon6(f): 3:37am On May 03, 2018
When are we going to get this kind of justice system in Nigeria?

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheUpsetGirl(m): 3:41am On May 03, 2018
Black people always claiming victims...

Africans do discriminate against whites here too
nonsense..

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Lexusgs430: 3:43am On May 03, 2018
Discrimination is not allowed...... Serves them right and hot.....

NB: They should roll out prepay option, for all....... Nando's, Spoons etc etc does it, and never experience dine & dash customers.........
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by BeckyLynch(f): 3:44am On May 03, 2018
I really support the motive of the restaurant!

Not everything is racially motivated as some inferiority complex laden Blacks usually paint it.

It could have been that blacks especially Nigerians usually run away in that restaurant without paying after their meal. Blacks are very terrible people. Am certain of what am saying because I have seen them do it most times in Italy. Nigerians just eat and bolt! They call it "street meal". So, I won't be surprised if this man has experienced it so many times from some shitt holeans and decided not to sell to blacks especially Nigerians!

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Lexusgs430: 3:46am On May 03, 2018
Chinese people flock to Africa, we treat them as king's & queen's..........

An African travels to China, they show him/her how very racist and unwelcoming they are.......

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by TheUpsetGirl(m): 3:47am On May 03, 2018
BeckyLynch:
I really support the motive of the restaurant!

Not everything is racially motivated as some inferiority complex laden Blacks usually paint it.

It could have been that blacks especially Nigerians usually run away in that restaurant without paying after their meal. Blacks are very terrible people. Am certain of what am saying because I have seen them do it most times in Italy. Nigerians just eat and bolt! They call it "street meal". So, I won't be surprised if this man has experienced it so many times from some shitt holeans and decided not to sell to blacks especially Nigerians!

just my thoughts initially

now they wanna claim victims

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by DHighPries: 3:47am On May 03, 2018
FAKE NEWS

Hes's not a NIGERIAN.
Why cant you guys verify an information before making it public.

He's from Trinidad and Tobago.

(CNN)The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has ordered a Toronto restaurant to pay a black customer $10,000 Canadian dollars for racially discriminating against him and his friends.

Emile Wickham was celebrating his 28th birthday with three friends when the group decided to grab a bite at Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant on May 3, 2014.
The four were the only black patrons in the restaurant, Wickham said, and they were stunned when the waiter demanded they pay before they were served
When the group complained, they were told it was policy, according to their testimony.
"I still felt skeptical, so then I approached other tables," Wickham told CNN. No one else he spoke with had been asked to prepay, he said.
"There was frustration initially. And that frustration turned into a feeling of dejection and sadness," he said.
Nearly a year after the incident, Wickham, who is originally from Trinidad and Tobago, could not stop thinking about what happened.
As the anniversary approached, he filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal.
The restaurant said it had seen an influx of dine-and-dash incidents, and that it asked customers who weren't "regulars" to prepay, according to the ruling.
But adjudicator Esi Codjoe said she found no evidence such a policy was real. Earlier this month, she ruled the restaurant had racially profiled the students.
It says it will appeal
In a statement shared with CNN, Hong Shing Chinese Restaurant expressed deep concern over the situation and highlighted that management has since changed.
"There are a number of sensitivities and considerations about this situation, and for that reason, the tribunal outcome is under appeal by legal representatives.
"At this time we cannot comment further, beyond emphasizing that the current owner and staff are dedicated to be a committed, inclusive and responsible member of the community."
"The average Canadian never calls themselves racist, but if a significant part of the population have legitimate stories of being discriminated against, this has to be seen beyond the scope of a restaurant claim."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/world/toronto-restaurant-discrimination-trnd/index.html

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by ebuk4real(m): 3:49am On May 03, 2018
Canada, here I cometh...

Discriminate me & I screw you....
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Oyerinde16(m): 3:50am On May 03, 2018
the mod that moved this to FP around 2am werdorn Sir I say werdorn sir....
Re: Nigerian Asked To Prepay For His Meal In Canada To Be Paid $10,000 By Restaurant by Lexusgs430: 3:50am On May 03, 2018
DHighPries:
FAKE NEWS

Hes's not a NIGERIAN.
Why cant you guys verify an information before making it public.

He's from Trinidad and Tobago.

(CNN)The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal has ordered a Toronto restaurant to pay a black customer $10,000 Canadian dollars for racially discriminating against him and his friends.

Nearly a year after the incident, Wickham, who is originally from Trinidad and Tobago, could not stop thinking about what happened.
It says it will appeal

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/30/world/toronto-restaurant-discrimination-trnd/index.html

Most are not commenting due to nationality, but colour.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A 50-year-old Man Impregnated My 16-year-old Sister. / Anthonia Aniemene Dead: Widow Falls Sick, Dies, Was Forced To Drink Concoction / Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.