Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship (8882 Views)

Hadith For Muslims / Hadith For All Christians / Evil: An Important Subject Of Islamic Philosophy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by balash(m): 12:28pm On May 03, 2018
Muslims claim to love Rasul-ullah (saws). Many prove that by keeping beards, using miswak and wearing pants above ankle. No doubt all these are sunnah and practicing any sunnah is commendable and will be rewarded.But it is equally important that one should be keen to follow the Prophet’s example in interpersonal relationships with others: wife, children, relatives and fellow Muslims. These same people beat and mistreat their wives and children and even slap on the face which in Islam is strictly forbidden even for animals.

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet said, “If I were to order anyone to prostrate himself before another, I would have ordered a woman to prostrate herself before her husband.” [At-Tirmidhi] However, although some have declared it Sahih on the basis of similar ahadith, some others have declared it weak. In fact, Tirmidhi himself calls it weak after quoting it in his Sunan.

Whenever I ask in a gathering about the above hadith, everyone says he has heard it. But when I ask about the hadith concerning eleven women, not a single person would have heard of it. The hadith about sajdah and the common people’s saying: “A man should kill a cat on his wedding night so that wife should be terrorized to fear the husband,” has done great harm to the relationship of the spouses.

The following ayah from Surah Rum in the Qur’an and the hadith of Muslim emphasizes the importance of the husband and wife relationship in Islam.

“And among His Signs is this that He created for you wives (spouses) from among yourselves, that you may find repose in them, and He has put between you affection and mercy. Verily, in that are, indeed, signs for people who reflect.” (The Qur’an, 30: 21)

Jabir reported that Allah’s Messenger said: “Iblis places his throne upon water; he then sends detachments (for creating dissension); the nearest to him in rank are those who are most notorious in creating dissension. One of them comes and says: I did so and so. And he says: You have done nothing. Then another says: I did not spare so and so until I sowed the seed of discord between a husband and a wife. The satan goes near him and says: ‘You have done well.’ [A’mash said:] He then embraces him.” (Muslim)

The Hadith of the Eleven Women

Muslim narrated the following hadith:

Narrated ‘Aisha: Eleven women sat (at a place) and promised and contracted that they would not conceal anything concerning their husbands.

The first one said: “My husband is like the meat of a lean weak camel which is kept on the top of a mountain which is neither easy to climb, nor is the meat has fat, so that one might take up the trouble of fetching it.”

The second one said: “I shall not relate my husband’s news, for I fear that I may not be able to finish his story, for if I describe him, I will mention all his defects and bad traits.”

The third one said:”My husband is a tall man; if I describe him (and he hears of that) he will divorce me, and if I keep quiet, he will neither divorce me nor treat me as a wife.”

The fourth one said:”My husband is a moderate person like the night of Tihama which is neither hot nor cold. I am neither afraid of him, nor am I discontented with him.”

The fifth one said:”My husband, when entering (the house) is a leopard, and when going out, is a lion. He does not ask about whatever is in the house.”

The sixth one said:”If my husband eats. he eats too much (leaving the dishes empty), and if he drinks he leaves nothing, and if he sleeps he sleeps alone (away from me) covered in garments and does not stretch his hands here and there so as to know how I fare (get along).”

The seventh one said:”My husband is a wrong-doer or weak and foolish. All the defects are present in him. He may injure your head or your body or may do both.”

The eighth one said:”My husband is soft to touch like a rabbit and smells like a Zar’nab (a kind of good smelling grass).”

The ninth one said:”My husband is a tall generous man wearing a long strap for carrying his sword. His ashes are abundant and his house is near to the people who would easily consult him.”

The tenth one said: “My husband is Malik, and what is Malik? Malik is greater than whatever I say about him. (He is beyond and above all praises which can come to my mind). Most of his camels are kept at home (ready to be slaughtered for the guests) and only a few are taken to the pastures. When the camels hear the sound of the lute (or the tambourine) they realize that they are going to be slaughtered for the guests.”

The eleventh one said:”My husband is Abu Zar`ah and what is Abu Zar`ah (i.e., what should I say about him)? He has given me many ornaments and my ears are heavily loaded with them and my arms have become fat (i.e., I have become fat). He has pleased me, and I have become so happy that I feel proud of myself. He found me with my family who were mere owners of sheep and living in poverty, and brought me to a respected family having horses and camels and threshing and purifying grain. Whatever I say, he does not rebuke or insult me. When I sleep, I sleep till late in the morning, and when I drink water (or milk), I drink my fill. The mother of Abu Zar`ah and what may one say in praise of the mother of Abu Zar`ah? Her saddle bags are always full of provision and her house is spacious. As for the son of Abu Zar`ah, what may one say of the son of Abu Zar`ah? His bed is as narrow as an unsheathed sword and an arm of a kid (of four months) satisfies his hunger. As for the daughter of Abu Zar`ah, she is obedient to her father and to her mother. She has a fat well-built body and that arouses the jealousy of her husband’s other wife. As for the (maid) slave girl of Abu Zar`ah, what may one say of the (maid) slave girl of Abu Zar`ah? She does not uncover our secrets but keeps them, and does not waste our provisions and does not leave the rubbish scattered everywhere in our house.”

The eleventh lady then added, “One day it so happened that Abu Zar`ah went out at the time when the milk was being milked from the animals, and he saw a woman who had two sons like two leopards… (On seeing her) he divorced me and married her. Thereafter, I married a noble man who used to ride a fast tireless horse and keep a spear in his hand. He gave me many things, and also a pair of every kind of livestock and said, ‘Eat (of this), O Umm Zar`ah, and give provision to your relatives.” She added, “Yet, all those things which my second husband gave me could not fill the smallest utensil of Abu Zar`ah.”

‘Aisha then said: Allah’s Apostle said to me, ‘I am to you as Abu Zar`ah was to his wife, Umm Zar`ah.’”

If we contemplate on this hadith we learn the following important lessons:

Women do talk about their husbands more than men talk about wives
Some husbands are going to be very bad, and some excellent, and others in between. It describes the entire spectrum of husbands in the society.
Notice that the name and identity of the bad ones is not exposed, whereas the good ones are mentioned by name.
If someone has 5-6 daughters he should not expect that all their husbands will be excellent.
If husband is not good, women should be patient hoping for reward from Allah. At the same time, they should work on improving them.
Observe the honesty and fairness of the last woman who praises her ex-husband even after he divorced her.
The most important lesson for all husbands is the concluding sentence of the hadith. The Prophet has praised and endorsed the behavior and pampering of Abu Zar`ah.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by balash(m): 12:28pm On May 03, 2018
Mukina2

1 Like

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 11:38am On May 04, 2018
Jazakumullahu khairan

1 Like

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by Nobody: 11:38am On May 04, 2018
Jazakum llahu khairan
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by Hkana: 11:40am On May 04, 2018
Jazakallahu khayr. Really enlightening.

Showietee, come and read.
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by Bimpe29: 11:48am On May 04, 2018
May Allah perfect us for our wives and make our wives apple of our eyes. That's quite interesting and insightful.

8 Likes

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by marriedmum(f): 11:48am On May 04, 2018
Jazaakumullahu khayr.... beautiful

2 Likes

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by dawahlarry: 12:01pm On May 04, 2018
JazaakaLlaahu Khayr Akhee

1 Like

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by balash(m): 12:38pm On May 04, 2018
Harbioye:

Islam had lots of enemies buh none and I mean NONE ever called Muhammad (S.A.W) whatever you just called him.

So, why do I need to take ur rants very important?

Ignore him
please

1 Like

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by verycheese: 12:56pm On May 04, 2018
Masha Allah.
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by Prettyenit18(f): 12:59pm On May 04, 2018
Wives should endure their husbands and be obedient to them even if they are not been treated properly. Should men endure their wives if they are not been treated properly??

1 Like

Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by chillychill(f): 1:27pm On May 04, 2018
kiss jazakumllahu kairan
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by dovereignsbaba: 2:23pm On May 04, 2018
Baraka ALLAH U fikum
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by balash(m): 2:37pm On May 04, 2018
Prettyenit18:
Wives should endure their husbands and be obedient to them even if they are not been treated properly. Should men endure their wives if they are not been treated properly??

The hadith stated practically on husband and wife, We have to endure and tolerate ourselves in a plain context to have a happy home. Do only to people how you want to be treated..

May Almighty Allah Continue to Guide And Bless Us All
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by Prettyenit18(f): 2:39pm On May 04, 2018
Ameen. Thank you for replying.
balash:

The hadith stated practically on husband and wife, We have to endure and tolerate ourselves in a plain context to have a happy home. Do only to people how you want to be treated..

May Almighty Allah Continue to Guide And Bless Us All
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by madridguy(m): 6:39pm On May 04, 2018
Nice one.
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by balash(m): 7:03am On May 05, 2018
Prettyenit18:
Ameen. Thank you for replying.

You welcome my sister
Re: An Important Hadith For Husband-wife Relationship by moufan: 12:51pm On May 05, 2018
nice one op,jazakhumllahu akhiran

(1) (Reply)

The Intense Love Of The Holy Prophet Muhammad To The World / 7 Habits Of Successful Muslim Youth / Where Is Allah? An Intellectual Discourse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.