Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. (16713 Views)

PDP Plotting Secret Voting To Take Over 9th National Assembly, APC Senators-elec / Electronic Voting Machines For Kaduna LG Elections (Photos) / El-Rufai Introduces Residency Card In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by naptu2: 7:06am On May 06, 2018
Niceiroko:
Vote does not count

This was one of the issues raised in the National Assembly when Professor Jega attempted to introduce electronic voting and it is also one of the issues that bothers me about electronic voting.

I saw the disaster that was called the 1983 elections and one of the problems with that election was that people felt that the ballot boxes were already stuffed with ballot papers before any voting was done. FEDECO used opaque wooden ballot boxes and you couldn't tell if there was already something inside the box before voting commenced.

This was one of the problems that Professor Humphrey Nwosu was trying to avoid and that's why he introduced the open ballot system. In the open ballot system, voters queued behind the symbol of their party or picture of their candidate. The number of voters in the queue was counted and everybody could easily see who won the election. So there was no room for rigging.

However, human rights groups complained that voters could easily be intimidated because everybody could see who you voted for. I saw this live in the 1991 elections when a politician's security guard voted for the politician's opponent. The man sacked the security guard that same day.

So Professor Nwosu introduced the open-secret ballot system (which we use now). The ballot boxes are transparent, so you can see if there's anything in it. The voter goes to a secluded place and thumb prints the ballot paper and then he comes out in the open to put the ballot paper in the ballot box. This way, nobody knows who you are voting for, but everybody can see that the ballot box has not been stuffed.

The challenge with electronic voting is that it is not "open" enough for Nigerians to believe in it. How will you know/believe that the machines have not been hacked or pre-programmed to favour a candidate?

3 Likes

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by khadaffi(m): 7:13am On May 06, 2018
naptu2:

State independent electoral commissions have always conducted local government elections. It's actually in the 1999 constitution.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#StateIndependentElectoralCommission
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by khadaffi(m): 7:14am On May 06, 2018
Double post
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by khadaffi(m): 7:16am On May 06, 2018
naptu2:

State independent electoral commissions have always conducted local government elections. It's actually in the 1999 constitution.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm#StateIndependentElectoralCommission
I never said state electoral commissions were not responsible for the conduct of LG elections. If you saw that in my post point it out. My point is that the fact that various states are now hurriedly conducting LG elections might be a pointer that the powers might soon leave that of the state and move to the Federal
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by NairaMaster1(m): 7:19am On May 06, 2018
Ichokwu:
Electronic Rigging Machine, you mean?

I wonder ooo

1 Like

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by naptu2: 7:22am On May 06, 2018
khadaffi:

I never said state electoral commissions were not responsible for the conduct of LG elections. If you saw that in my post point it out. My point is that the fact that various states are now hurriedly conducting LG elections might be a pointer that the powers might soon leave that of the state and move to the Federal

Regardless, it is the duty of states to conduct local government elections when they are due. That is democracy. I would rather have states conduct local government elections than to have the practice in the past in which state governors appointed sole administrators, instead of conducting elections. That was certainly not democratic and shouldn't happen in a democracy.

1 Like

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by enlady(f): 7:35am On May 06, 2018
Always a pleasure reading historical nuggets from you

naptu2:

This was one of the issues raised in the National Assembly when Professor Jega attempted to introduce electronic voting and it is also one of the issues that bothers me about electronic voting.

I saw the disaster that was called the 1983 elections and one of the problems with that election was that people felt that the ballot boxes were already stuffed with ballot papers before any voting was done. FEDECO used opaque wooden ballot boxes and you couldn't tell if there was already something inside the box before voting commenced.

This was one of the problems that Professor Humphrey Nwosu was trying to avoid and that's why he introduced the open ballot system. In the open ballot system, voters queued behind the symbol of their party or picture of their candidate. The number of voters in the queue was counted and everybody could easily see who won the election. So there was no room for rigging.

However, human rights groups complained that voters could easily be intimidated because everybody could see who you voted for. I saw this live in the 1991 elections when a politician's security guard voted for the politician's opponent. The man sacked the security guard that same day.

So Professor Nwosu introduced the open-secret ballot system (which we use now). The ballot boxes are transparent, so you can see if there's anything in it. The voter goes to a secluded place and thumb prints the ballot paper and then he comes out in the open to put the ballot paper in the ballot box. This way, nobody knows who you are voting for, but everybody can see that the ballot box has not been stuffed.

The challenge with electronic voting is that it is not "open" enough for Nigerians to believe in it. How will you know/believe that the machines have not been hacked or pre-programmed to favour a candidate?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by tech18: 7:42am On May 06, 2018
naptu2:

Local government elections are conducted by state electoral commissions. They are not conducted by INEC. The Kaduna State Government is purchasing electronic voting machines for the Kaduna State Independent Electoral Commission (SIECOM) to use in conducting the local government elections in Kaduna on May 12th. According to them, it will be the first time that electronic voting machines are used in Nigeria.
Good,educate wailers.They suppose to know the functions of SIEC

1 Like

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by waveman2: 8:36am On May 06, 2018
Especially in Nigeria where the executive arm of government controls parastal like inec.who pays the piper detects the tone.

naptu2:

Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by otokx(m): 8:38am On May 06, 2018
A revolutionary
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by deebrownneymar: 8:56am On May 06, 2018
El Rufai shouldn't be the one to introduce such. He wants to rig it all.
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by sweetgala(m): 9:02am On May 06, 2018
slightlyMad:
Lol, daft midget trying to do inecs job for inec
Is he that desperate?

Inec do not conduct local government elections that job is for the state electoral commission which is under the governor. NW who is the ignorant one.

I salute the move by el rufai he might be a spiteful midget but he has done very well in Kaduna
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by AntiWailer: 9:56am On May 06, 2018
naptu2:

Local government elections are conducted by state electoral commissions. They are not conducted by INEC. The Kaduna State Government is purchasing electronic voting machines for the Kaduna State Independent Electoral Commission (SIECOM) to use in conducting the local government elections in Kaduna on May 12th. According to them, it will be the first time that electronic voting machines are used in Nigeria.

ignore those ignorant dudes.
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by enlady(f): 11:36am On May 06, 2018
Oga Naptu2 thanks for this thread. I did some reading and found out electronic voting is not entrenched globally as most Nigerians tend to think. Even in the west it is mostly used for diaspora voting and some municipal elections. Only a few countries like Belgium, Brazil utilize electronic voting for all statutory elections. France recently shelved the idea due to concerns about cyber security. I read a report detailing how easy it is to manipulate electronic voting and the widespread instances in Brazil. In India the electronic voting system is a hybrid with voter verified paper trail. I do not think are we ripe in Nigeria for now
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by isah80: 4:00pm On May 06, 2018
naptu2:

In 2005, we used electronic voting in my department, so it is not the first time in Nigeria but to him
Re: El-rufai Introduces Electronic Voting To Nigeria. by Nonaira1: 4:08pm On May 06, 2018
OhiOfIhima:
Hope it will be use to send Buba back to Daura! Make dem check am because dis kind machine might in turn work against d populace.

It can. A machine goes by how you program it. A programmer could easily manipulate it and have it giving APC The win each time. This is just a note 21st century rigging

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obi Could Have Gone Far, But Obidients Can’t Control Their Mouths - Reno Omokri / INEC Budgets N1.9bn To Defend Buhari, Others’ Mandate In Court / Sagay: Only A Mad Person Will Say North Will Remain In Power For 100 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.