Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,774 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

What Is Life? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Life? (24646 Views)

The Testimony: The Word Is Life. / Jesus Christ Is Life; And You Say He Is Not God? / Such Is Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Life? by MrMystrO(m): 2:41pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Hmm... Deep.

Thanks for sharing this words of wisdom. Thanks for your kind words.

Always happy to contribute the little i can, My pleasure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 06, 2018
Life means many different things to different people

To some, life is journey of self discovery

To others, life is experienced while we breathe etc

Nonetheless, none of these definitions captures the absolute definition of life in itself. It is subject to the readers interpretation based on personal life experiences

Often times, we have encountered difficult spells at a stage in life that makes us doubt ourselves and question everything we have been told.
I.e. it makes us question our history, religion God etc., especially as we reach adulthood.

Yet, this in itself is not a bad thing, as it is an important aspect of growing up

Nonetheless, it might lead us to start fantasizing about a past that was never perfect. We will soon forget what we have been through in the past or we may start getting a feeling of deja vu

Therefore, many people might start to seek an escape route and some may see death as the ultimate escape route i.e. they see life as simply the absence of death,

However, we should always remember what makes us feel alive at the moment we are feeling down. We should remember the milestone we have crossed in the past and the joy we derived from those moments

We should also remember our families and how much they love us.

So to the question of the op

I will say life is an experience of pain and relief

life is in the moment but bordering on the events of the past

It is a journey alright, but to an unknown destination. Choose a path and follow with caution and dedication, and just maybe you might be able to come up with your own meaning for life. i.e. tell your story

but always remember the words of the great Nelson Mandela which is;

"after climbing a great hill. One only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by MrMystrO(m): 3:19pm On May 06, 2018
greiboy:
Life means many different things to different people

To some life is journey of self discovery

To some life what is experienced while we breathe etc

Nonetheless, none of these definitions captures the absolute definition of life in itself. It is subject to the readers interpretation based on personal life experiences

Often times, we have encountered difficult spells at a stage in life that makes us doubt ourselves and question everything we have been told.
I.e. it makes us question our history, religion God etc., especially as we reach adulthood.

Yet this is not bad thing as it is an important aspect of growing up

Nonetheless, it might lead us to fantasying about a past that was never perfect. we will soon forget what we been through in the past or we have a feeling of deja vu

Therefore, Many will start to seek an escape route and some may see death as the ultimate escape route i.e. they see life as simply the absence of death,

However, we should always remember at that moment what makes us feel alive. We should remember the milestone we have crossed and the joy derived from those moments

We should also remember our families and how much they love us.

So to the question of the op

I will say life is an experience of pain and relief

live is in the moment but bordering on the events of the past

it is journey all right, but to an unknown destination. Choose a path and follow with caution and dedication, and just maybe you might be able to come up with your own meaning for life

but always remember the words of the great Nelson Mandela which is; "after climbing a great hill. One only finds that there are many more hills to climb.”

Well said.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by MrMystrO(m): 3:19pm On May 06, 2018
Re: What Is Life? by sisisioge: 3:26pm On May 06, 2018
Hmmm.......

Life is simple as far as I'm concerned. Life is all about acceptance and carefully selecting the things you want to worry about and the things you don't want to lose sleep over.

You can decide to pick some simple things of life to live for or decide to till the land till you achieve big and be happy while doing it. It's a choice.

You can live your life according to other's definition or just define yours and stick with it...another choice.

Someone once made a simple analogy with his life. He said when he was younger he wanted so much out of life, the fast cars, money, women, good food, etc. Then he grew older and achieved a lot of his dreams but realized he didn't live while gunning for these things. Now he wished he had paid more attention to his health, his family, his surroundings and beyond, music, etc. He wanted the simples now. Isn't this what the critics of Abraham Maslow were talking about?

I think the simpletons are the real salt of this earth.

I say take things easy, look around you more, hug your loveys more, listen, get a massage, smile, laugh, don't mind Buhari, listen to music, know that 24hrs is not enough in a day, allow yourself some indulgence, don't be afraid, be appreciative, be fair in your dealings, make peace with your inner self, don't allow negative people rub off you, try on different shades of lipsticks every other week...find your pace.

This here would annoy the heck outta my Mom if she reads it grin grin grin but na me be me cool

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by Jamie90(m): 3:42pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Please this post is not for the feeble or dull minds.

Is this life worth anything?

What is life?

Because, I've come to realize that we're just living to die. And is this life worth the whole stress of living? If my question makes any sense.

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?
Is it worth the stress that issues will keep coming up and you don't even get to sit back and enjoy?

Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless. We're insatiable.

What is life? I'm tired of living, living this hard life knowing I'm going to die anytime and my goals and dreams that I'm working for becomes nothing at the end. I'm tired of getting almost everything wrong. Tired of not being happy all the time and the stress that keeps coming up.

What is the essence of life if we're just living and suffering only to die. Because in this life, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. We're just going through hell, just to die at the end.

You are obviously having suicidal thoughts. If that's the case, I won't encourage you not to because everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their life.

I find it ironical that a feeble minded person said that her thread isn't for the feeble mind.

Yes!, you are feeble minded; If not, you should have known that the challenges we face in life is what makes it interesting and fun. life is full of challenges but when properly managed, they could become opportunities.

And no, we don't live to die; that's not the purpose of life.
Whatever happened to our fallen heroes; Nnamdi azikiwe, awolowo, ahmadu bello, uthman dan fodio, and even your beloved Ghanaian Kwame Kyeretwie Boakye Danquah, who was arguably the greatest nationalist in Africa. Did these men live to die? No!, they properly tackled the challenges they faced, and in turn, these challenges gave them the opportunity to become heroes

We live to make a mark; to create a legacy that shall live on even when are gone.

Try to make yourself proud, and I bet you - your mentality about life will change.

#happy Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by princfred(m): 4:24pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:

What is life?

Because, I've come to realize that we're just living to die. And is this life worth the whole stress of living? If my question makes any sense.

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?
Is it worth the stress that issues will keep coming up and you don't even get to sit back and enjoy?

Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless. We're insatiable.

What is life? I'm tired of living, living this hard life knowing I'm going to die anytime and my goals and dreams that I'm working for becomes nothing at the end. I'm tired of getting almost everything wrong. Tired of not being happy all the time and the stress that keeps coming up.

What is the essence of life if we're just living and suffering only to die. Because in this life, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. We're just going through hell, just to die at the end.

"Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless". Thats the problem and solution. Meanwhile i feel someone you love hurt you hence these thoughts . Life is money, good health, love and purpose. The purpose to find those and help others do.
Re: What Is Life? by mhisbliss(f): 4:34pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:

What is life?

What is this life?

Life is difficult because you and i made it what it is, every hardship in life is as a result of our own undoing, God didn't want this for us, he gave everything free, then we came along and added a price tag to everything, now everyone have to fend for himself for if you don't nothing will come your way, so life is what we have to do to survive, or you can take the easy way out by dying, and thats cowardly

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 5:06pm On May 06, 2018
princfred:
"Being a child is the best thing that happened to us all. Because then you had no worries, as we grow, our needs becomes endless". Thats the problem and solution. Meanwhile i feel someone you love hurt you hence these thoughts . Life is money, good health, love and purpose. The purpose to find those and help others do.
Not at all. Wasn't hurt.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 5:11pm On May 06, 2018
mhisbliss:
Life is difficult because you and i made it what it is, every hardship in life is as a result of our own undoing, God didn't want this for us, he gave everything free, then we came along and added a price tag to everything, now everyone have to fend for himself for if you don't nothing will come your way, so life is what we have to do to survive, or you can take the easy way out by dying, and thats cowardly
Life gives us the hardship sometimes. Remember that child with blue eyes that was chased from the family because she had beautiful set of blue eyes, and her family were superstitious? What did she do to deserve it? She didn't make her circumstances. It's what life gives that we take. Life shapes us into what we're.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by LordKO(m): 5:13pm On May 06, 2018
Life as a variant of choice: it will simply be what you wish/make it to be - excluding perfection, because that's exclusively for the sole creator of the world - subject to sound personal philosophy. Sound personal philosophy begets good principle(s). And believe you me that with good principles you can creat an eldorado life for yourself, one where only bad natural occurrences can cause you unhappiness.

Embrace non-conformism (powered by conscientiousness and grit) and minimalism (powered by kindness). Living life at the periphery of conventionalism and doing so conscientiously will help you to find its true meaning.

Just bear it in mind that no one can make a sustainable personal advancement without self-denial, so also no one can make sustainable contributions towards others without self-sacrifice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 5:17pm On May 06, 2018
Jamie90:

You are obviously having suicidal thoughts. If that's the case, I won't encourage you not to because everyone has the right to do whatever they want with their life.

I find it ironical that a feeble minded person said that her thread isn't for the feeble mind.

Yes!, you are feeble minded; If not, you should have known that the challenges we face in life is what makes it interesting and fun. life is full of challenges but when properly managed, they could become opportunities.

And no, we don't live to die; that's not the purpose of life.
Whatever happened to our fallen heroes; Nnamdi azikiwe, awolowo, ahmadu bello, uthman dan fodio, and even your beloved Ghanaian Kwame Kyeretwie Boakye Danquah, who was arguably the greatest nationalist in Africa. Did these men live to die? No!, they properly tackled the challenges they faced, and in turn, these challenges gave them the opportunity to become heroes

We live to make a mark; to create a legacy that shall live on even when are gone.

Try to make yourself proud, and I bet you - your mentality about life will change.

#happy Sunday.
How can challenges in life be fun? If a sickle cell patient is feeling this way, will you tell the person it's fun? You'll have to explain in details how challenges we face is fun.

What if life doesn't give you the chance to leave a legacy behind by dying early? What has that person achieved by dying around 23?
Thanks for your wonderful advice.

10 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 5:18pm On May 06, 2018
sisisioge:
Hmmm.......

Life is simple as far as I'm concerned. Life is all about acceptance and carefully selecting the things you want to worry about and the things you don't want to lose sleep over.

You can decide to pick some simple things of life to live for or decide to till the land till you achieve big and be happy while doing it. It's a choice.

You can live your life according to other's definition or just define yours and stick with it...another choice.

Someone once made a simple analogy with his life. He said when he was younger he wanted so much out of life, the fast cars, money, women, good food, etc. Then he grew older and achieved a lot of his dreams but realized he didn't live while gunning for these things. Now he wished he had paid more attention to his health, his family, his surroundings and beyond, music, etc. He wanted the simples now. Isn't this what the critics of Abraham Maslow were talking about?

I think the simpletons are the real salt of this earth.

I say take things easy, look around you more, hug your loveys more, listen, get a massage, smile, laugh, don't mind Buhari, listen to music, know that 24hrs is not enough in a day, allow yourself some indulgence, don't be afraid, be appreciative, be fair in your dealings, make peace with your inner self, don't allow negative people rub off you, try on different shades of lipsticks every other week...find your pace.

This here would annoy the heck outta my Mom if she reads it grin grin grin but na me be me cool
Thanks sis, you made me feel better.

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by sisisioge: 5:23pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Thanks sis, you made me feel better.

You're welcome darling...enjoy please wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by TheEminentLaity: 5:32pm On May 06, 2018
Is this some sort of a poor (wo)man's poetry or a suicide note, makydebbie?
Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 5:35pm On May 06, 2018
TheEminentLaity:
Is this some sort of a poor (wo)man's poetry or a suicide note, makydebbie?
No, it's neither. Just wanted to pour out my mind.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by mhisbliss(f): 5:58pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Life gives us the hardship sometimes. Remember that child with blue eyes that was chased from the family because she had beautiful set of blue eyes, and her family were superstitious? What did she do to deserve it? She didn't make her circumstances. It's what life gives that we take. Life shapes us into what we're.
We're both saying the same thing in a different way dear, life is difficult because we humans made it difficult

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 6:03pm On May 06, 2018
mhisbliss:
We're both saying the same thing in a different way dear, life is difficult because we humans made it difficult
Fair enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by Martinez19(m): 6:07pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:

What is life?

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can't just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?

Don't worry yourself too much dear, we will all die and we may all face down times. Whatever be case, just be merry, follow your interest and passion and be happy. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 6:10pm On May 06, 2018
Martinez19:
Don't worry yourself too much dear, we will all die and we may all face down times. Whatever be case, just be merry, follow your interest and passion and be happy. grin
Hmm..
Thanks dear.
Re: What Is Life? by Martinez19(m): 6:15pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Hmm..
Thanks dear.
my secret is that I place happiness over money. From personal experience, If we make money the must important thing in our lives, as we have done inevitably at one point in time, the kind of worrying that will kill you is out of this world grin. Happiness and your passion should come first, that way you will most happy and fulfilled.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 6:19pm On May 06, 2018
Martinez19:
my secret is that I place happiness over money. From personal experience, If we make money the must important thing in our lives, as we have done inevitably at one point in time, the kind of worrying that will kill you is out of this world grin. Happiness and your passion should come first, that way you will most happy and fulfilled.
Money brings happiness lol, happiness brings what?

1 Like

Re: What Is Life? by Martinez19(m): 6:22pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Money brings happiness lol, happiness brings what?
it's true that money brings happiness, temporarily but happiness brings permanent satisfaction with life. grin

3 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 6:23pm On May 06, 2018
Martinez19:
it's true that money brings happiness, temporarily but happiness brings permanent satisfaction with life. grin
Lol, okay then.
Re: What Is Life? by Sugar97(f): 6:30pm On May 06, 2018
We will eventually die someday but I do not believe life ends at death. Neither does the reality of death make life (or living) worthless.

I think the most important question would be "how did you live your life"? People like Mother Teresa and Martin Luther etc. still live in the hearts of many. They are still a source of inspiration to many even though they are dead.

Your goals, accomplishments, dreams etc. need not be useless after you are dead, they can inspire many too.

I don't know what is you're going through specifically but I hope you find strength smiley

Cc Makydebbie

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by princfred(m): 6:53pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Not at all. Wasn't hurt.
Alright then engage in something that gives you joy and you are passionate about to catch fun and appreciate the beautiful things of life that way you no go reason death matter sef. This is why every man needs a woman and every woman needs a man.
Re: What Is Life? by princfred(m): 6:54pm On May 06, 2018
Martinez19:
No be lie.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Life? by makydebbie(f): 7:02pm On May 06, 2018
princfred:
Alright then engage in something that gives you joy and you are passionate about to catch fun and appreciate the beautiful things of life that way you no go reason death matter sef. This is why every man needs a woman and every woman needs a man.
Lol, okay.

Beautiful things of life lol. The only thing life promises us is death.
Re: What Is Life? by princfred(m): 7:10pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, okay.

Beautiful things of life lol. The only thing life promises us is death.
Death doesnt matter. Live well, catch fun and hope to die smiling. I promised myself i will die smiling so death nor the thought of it, can't even steal my joy but not living well can.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by Jamie90(m): 7:29pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:
How can challenges in life be fun? If a sickle cell patient is feeling this way, will you tell the person it's fun? You'll have to explain in details how challenges we face is fun.

What if life doesn't give you the chance to leave a legacy behind by dying early? What has that person achieved by dying around 23?
Thanks for your wonderful advice.

Are you trying to be funny? Being a sickler is a challenge but certainly not fun. In essence, not all challenges are fun.

Life would certainly be less fun if we had our way with everything. Let's take for a example, an undergraduate trying to make First Class. Making First Class becomes a challenge while reading and working hard becomes fun. If the latter wasn't a prerequisite for the former, then you'd certainly agree with that school wouldn't be fun anymore.

Another typical example was the challenges faced by African nationalists. They derived some sort of fulfilment in working towards freeing us from the shackles of the colonial masters.

Simply put, without challenges, life wouldn't be worth living.
Both co-exist

2 Likes

Re: What Is Life? by UDUJ(m): 7:51pm On May 06, 2018
makydebbie:

What is life?

I've also come to understand you don't live happily at any point. Things will happen and situations will keep stressing you at every point. When you're poor, you want to be rich so that you can solve your problems. But when you're also rich, there'll be stress. You'll start trying to make sure you don't go back to poverty and invest wisely. You can't just sit and enjoy your wealth. Situations will keep cropping up. Sometimes I'm scared to be happy because happiness doesn't last. Something bad must always happen.

What is this life?

Your question is unique; as is any question pondering on the meaning or purpose of life.

The essence of life is one’s innate characteristics, quality and substance of thoughts and actions. A person of the aforesaid qualities, generally, radiates personality flair. Let me give an example of such person from history:

His name was Goethe a German philosopher, poet and other attributes. In his own life he experienced much sorrow, but gradually he gained an inner command over life’s difficulties and attained a detachment and calm which brought peace to him. Napoleon first saw him when he was over sixty. As he stood in the doorway, there was something in his face and figure, an untroubled look and bearing so full of dignity, that Napoleon exclaimed: “Voila un homme!” meaning (Look) “What a man!”

Whoever acquires detachment and calm following difficult time may emerge a person with essence of life spreading fragrance of his/her qualities. There are many dignitaries in this category, but the above just flashed in my mind.

So in summary, to me the essence of life is To Know Thyself. For me "know thyself" means to know your authentic self, true you or sincere core. Name it however you'd like to.

It's to know your real:

Goals (what do you want in life?)
Values (why do you want to achieve your goals?)
Style (how do you want to achieve your goals?)
From here one can move towards their dreams and have happy, fulfilled life.

In my opinion, it's not enough to "know thyself", you need to "be thyself". You might find out your true want but still doing a job you hate. You've got to have guts to follow your heart. You will thank yourself later for this. smiley

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Life? by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 06, 2018
UDUJ:

Your question is unique; as is any question pondering on the meaning or purpose of life.

The essence of life is one’s innate characteristics, quality and substance of thoughts and actions. A person of the aforesaid qualities, generally, radiates personality flair. Let me give an example of such person from history:

His name was Goethe a German philosopher, poet and other attributes. In his own life he experienced much sorrow, but gradually he gained an inner command over life’s difficulties and attained a detachment and calm which brought peace to him. Napoleon first saw him when he was over sixty. As he stood in the doorway, there was something in his face and figure, an untroubled look and bearing so full of dignity, that Napoleon exclaimed: “Voila un homme!” meaning (Look) “What a man!”

Whoever acquires detachment and calm following difficult time may emerge a person with essence of life spreading fragrance of his/her qualities. There are many dignitaries in this category, but the above just flashed in my mind.

So in summary, to me the essence of life is To Know Thyself. For me "know thyself" means to know your authentic self, true you or sincere core. Name it however you'd like to.

It's to know your real:

Goals (what do you want in life?)
Values (why do you want to achieve your goals?)
Style (how do you want to achieve your goals?)
From here one can move towards their dreams and have happy, fulfilled life.

In my opinion, it's not enough to "know thyself", you need to "be thyself". You might find out your true want but still doing a job you hate. You've got to have guts to follow your heart. You will thank yourself later for this. smiley

RESPECT BOSS!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is Marrying More Than One Wife A Sin / 10 Things That Happen Every Christmas Day / Ten Characteristics Of A Church Choir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.