Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers (12813 Views)

I Was Asked To Pay N300k Plus "Spreading Legs" For UNICAL Job Offer - Lady Says / Professional CV and Cover Letter Templates For Job Seekers / Woman With Placard Searching For Job For Her Husband In Lagos (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by savio93(m): 10:44am On May 07, 2018
yeyerolling:
Una don start again. I have worked for 2 banks, 2 big four audit firms, and a consulting firm. I no sabi anybody. The so called pple wey say mk i bring cv after nysc failed me. With this mindset u no fit progress o. Go to nairaland job section pple are getting jobs in kpmg,pwc,access bank, etc. Dey der

Guy, you are right.
But the point of the OP is also true.
Look at this memo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Mike008(m): 10:50am On May 07, 2018
Benjom:
Quite unfortunate

Are the one still advertising CV writing?
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Mike008(m): 11:00am On May 07, 2018
savio93:

Guy, you are right.
But the point of the OP is also true.
Look at this memo

It is common and "official" phenomenon as proved. All top public officials have slots, Senators, Ministers, Rep members, ambassadors etc.

Its a total waste of time applying for public jobs. Only do so if you need to improve your experience in job applications otherwise hangup.
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Smartconcept1: 11:05am On May 07, 2018
Lol
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Smartconcept1: 11:06am On May 07, 2018
Mike008:

It is common and "official" phenomenon as proved. All top public officials have slots, Senators, Ministers, Rep members, ambassadors etc.

Its a total waste of time applying for public jobs. Only do so if you need to improve your experience in job applications otherwise hangup.
Lol
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by pedrilo: 11:09am On May 07, 2018
yeyerolling:
Una don start again. I have worked for 2 banks, 2 big four audit firms, and a consulting firm. I no sabi anybody. The so called pple wey say mk i bring cv after nysc failed me. With this mindset u no fit progress o. Go to nairaland job section pple are getting jobs in kpmg,pwc,access bank, etc. Dey der
bros chill, i also dont know anybody and i work and earn well but dat doesnt mean the op is wrong or won't progress. over sabi just dey worry u.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Wantedmiller: 11:09am On May 07, 2018
skarlett:

A content and copy writer that doesn't know the difference between geared and jeered. You truly did not deserve the job bro

Receive Sense dear.......... English queen!!!

you don't correct people in that manner....

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by diegwu02: 11:09am On May 07, 2018
Unfortunately, this ugly trend is everywhere in Nigeria, Its so painful. Our problems most times are not necessarily our Political Leaders.
Everybody has a list of Candidates, Pastors, CEO, Management, politicians. No one sees any wrong in it. The same attempt was almost employed to ruin the N-power program, Politicians wanted to be given scores of slots, luckily the FG scuttled the plans.; Same with the Niger Delta Amnesty Program, the Major Warlords complied list of friends families and their Girlfriends who later benefited and where sent abroad at the expense of the victims of the ND struggle. major oil coys in Nigeria started declining when Nigerians where being placed in very top management positions, majority of new intakes are always relatives of Senior management personel who sneak in without any form of advertised vacancy.
The problem in Nigeria is what we see when we look at the Mirror.
Everyone is Wicked, Very Selfish, Bigoted and corrupt when occasions present themselves, same issues we blame of Leaders of everyday.
The Op should take heart, his own time will come, and when it does, he shouldn't repay evil as was done to him.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Nobody: 11:13am On May 07, 2018
diegwu02:
Unfortunately, this ugly trend is everywhere in Nigeria, Its so painful. Our problems most times are not necessarily our Political Leaders.
Everybody has a list of Candidates, Pastors, CEO, Management, politicians. No one sees any wrong in it. The same attempt was almost employed to ruin the N-power program, Politicians wanted to be given scores of slots, luckily the FG scuttled the plans.; Same with the Niger Delta Amnesty Program, the Major Warlords complied list of friends families and their Girlfriends who later benefited and where sent abroad at the expense of the victims of the ND struggle. major oil coys in Nigeria started declining when Nigerians where being placed in very top management positions, majority of new intakes are always relatives of Senior management personel who sneak in without any form of advertised vacancy.
The problem in Nigeria is what we see when we look at the Mirror.
Everyone is Wicked, Very Selfish, Bigoted and corrupt when occasions present themselves, same issues we blame of Leaders of everyday.
The Op should take heart, his own time will come, and when it does, he shouldn't repay evil as was done to him.

Simple truth

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by xynerise: 11:22am On May 07, 2018
Mhorlaitan:

you disappointed all of them cox it wasn't d boss that brought those candidates and cox you are in a high position more than those peeps.. Cox even you sef they will av to put another person in place for you..

anyways kudos to you

When you are a problem solver in the company, even the CEO will be afraid to replace you wink

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by JARUSHUB: 11:22am On May 07, 2018
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Princedapace(m): 11:30am On May 07, 2018
yeyerolling:

what u stated above doesnt mean that long leg no dey bro.. I dont like it when people try to hide truth.. He never said no one can get a job without knowing anyone. He didnt say that. he only shared his experience.

Take it or leave it, chances of landing a job without knowing anyone is slimmer compared to when u have the right connection.

At the same time, there are people who secured a job without knowing anyone. Just that few of such positions exist and the competitions are usually to the extreme.. Our society has gone really bad and we must tell our selves the truth before we can solve it..

Denying that what he stated above doesnt happen means we may never solve this issue. Just the way Buhari is hiding from reality.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by gonkin(m): 11:57am On May 07, 2018
70 percent of people you see in most companies are employed via long leg. This life sha. Why would i take a stranger when i have someone i can tellu about.
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by FunnyDude(m): 1:06pm On May 07, 2018
Nigeria is rubbish con3.. I'm leaving here anytime soon.. I'll rather die than live in Nigeria to suffer, I'm going through Mediterranean Sea to Europe.

Get rich or die trying..

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 07, 2018
Ugosample:

Your experience notwithstanding, the op has a point, and except we want to lie to ourselves, this practice is quite rampant in Nigeria.

Though people through persistence, still get ahead, they are in the minority

Whenever I hear these stories, I just laugh. Tons of people have been employed in great companies without knowing anyone. Do your research, apply, and give your A game at interviews, and see if you won't get a job.
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Ugosample(m): 1:37pm On May 07, 2018
Bagehot:

Whenever I hear these stories, I just laugh. Tons of people have been employed in great companies without knowing anyone. Do your research, apply, and give your A game at interviews, and see if you won't get a job.
You are validating my point.

it is possible

but it's for the minority with that uncommon zeal .

Some places have already kept slots for the children of some big men from the SE that I know via third party that ar3 still schooling abroad
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Kobicove(m): 1:55pm On May 07, 2018
hypergig:

Yeah I know, it doesn't only ring a bell, it strikes a chord, we all wish we had long legs or tentacles, then our job hunting days would be over long before it even got started.

I was all jeered geared up, I knew I was the perfect pitch for the job, I had my sterling qualities all lined up, bullets points well rallied around my achievements as a content writer and copywriter, the finer part of my professional experience was well chronicled in my CV, I took a good look at my CV and give a side smirk, a reassuring nod of how good I am at what I do.

We were ushered into a conference room, generic questions were rolled out, a brief history and bio profile of the company was relayed reeled out, a company personel personnel was right behind me and in came another, they let out small whispers and what I heard left me helpless,
The Blob employee : "I get Candidate for this post oh and na him we go pick"

The other blob employee: " why u come let them waste time come here"
He waved him aside and said "Choi forget that side"..

Oladejo Mayowa

You really need to improve on the quality of material you put out if you want to be taken serious as a content writer undecided

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by elshz(m): 3:37pm On May 07, 2018
yeyerolling:
you are just one of the very few people that got job without connection. Do you know how many jobless competent graduate out there? How many employees do you think these firms you mentioned employs per year as compared to the number of jobless graduate in the country?. Your point is subjective, you need to be realistic before men give you slap.

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 07, 2018
Ugosample:

You are validating my point.

it is possible

but it's for the minority with that uncommon zeal .

Some places have already kept slots for the children of some big men from the SE that I know via third party that ar3 still schooling abroad

For starters, if you start out disadvantaged, why shouldn't you have uncommon zeal? I keep saying this thing is a myth, cos I have hired dozens - maybe even hundreds in my time in banking and investment management that didn't know anyone. This 'long leg' thing is mostly hype: unless you are coming from Obasanjo or Osinbajo, no first-rate bank or company would break their backs to take you in - and even the calibre of people that can get you in probably won't want to cash in their good-will by always helping every tom, harry and jones with a job.

I have seen countless candidates from top-people in Nigeria that didn't get jobs; think about it: how many positions are in large companies compared to the number of VIPs in Nigeria? Have you ever asked why you give your resume to that top-man or chief, and never get a response? Its cos there are so many people currying favours, that top executives can't be bothered - they would only play to the gallery.

Do you even imagine the people running the companies are stupid that they would stock their firms with incompetent people in the name of doing favours to all sorts?
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Buffalowings3(m): 5:22pm On May 07, 2018
skarlett:

A content and copy writer that doesn't know the difference between geared and jeered. You truly did not deserve the job bro

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Buffalowings3(m): 5:23pm On May 07, 2018
Kobicove:

You really need to improve on the quality of material you put out if you want to be taken serious as a content writer undecided

undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Tunagee(m): 5:45pm On May 07, 2018
Bagehot:

For starters, if you start out disadvantaged, why shouldn't you have uncommon zeal? I keep saying this thing is a myth, cos I have hired dozens - maybe even hundreds in my time in banking and investment management that didn't know anyone. This 'long leg' thing is mostly hype: unless you are coming from Obasanjo or Osinbajo, no first-rate bank or company would break their backs to take you in - and even the calibre of people that can get you in probably won't want to cash in their good-will by always helping every tom, harry and jones with a job.

I have seen countless candidates from top-people in Nigeria that didn't get jobs; think about it: how many positions are in large companies compared to the number of VIPs in Nigeria? Have you ever asked why you give your resume to that top-man or chief, and never get a response? Its cos there are so many people currying favours, that top executives can't be bothered - they would only play to the gallery.

Do you even imagine the people running the companies are stupid that they would stock their firms with incompetent people in the name of doing favours to all sorts?

U better be realistic cos u know the truth. This is Nigeria.
Re: The Menace Of "Long Legs" For Job Seekers by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 07, 2018
Tunagee:

U better be realistic cos u know the truth. This is Nigeria.

I just told you that I have been a hiring manager at various blue-chip firms, and a majority got in without knowing anyone.

You better double your hustle (cos that's the truth) . . . this is Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Was Your Most Embarrassing Interview Moment? / Apply For Sabmiller Plc Fresh Job Recruitment (11 Positions) / Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.