Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,210 members, 7,780,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:19 PM

Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? (10561 Views)

She Can't Stand His Family,what should she do? / "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? / Im Going To Nigeria This Dec, What Shall I Get For His Entire Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by joja155: 1:54pm On May 21, 2010
Hello NL,i have been working for four to five years now without savings and it gives me a sense of concern.I stay in satellite town festac side Lagos,and work in V/I with one man business and my salary is N80k.There is no allowance,just N80k ,no other source of making money.As a family man,I am very worried because the said amount does not cater for me and family.Atimes the money will finish even before the month end,and you know what it means.I have been trying to find another part time job to do to augment the salary,also have been trying to find more higher paying job but none up till now.Every time i do tell myself,is this how i will make it as a man,depending on a single source of income that is not even enough every month?.Apart from that,nobody prays for bad thing but what if something happen to the one man business?,Not even a single savings or investment!.Truly,i m worried.Please my fellow NL and other family men/women in this forum,how can i go with this,as it is very frustrating.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 21, 2010
How many Kids do you have? What is your Spouse doing?

I advise you start up a business for your Spouse if she is not doing anything yet. She can go along way to alleviate the condition of your family. Sit her down and inform her that you should do a team work to run your home. There is much you can achieve with your present salary if you plan well with your spouse.

I had similar experience six years ago. Mine was 60k with two kids then but we have three kids now,  I had to setup a petty business for my wife and she was so dedicated to it. The business grew to where she could save almost my salary in a month. It got to a stage where both of us had to add more capital and it blossomed. Today, we have a car, built 2 houses (one in the city and another in the village). Truth is my spouse is very enterprising!!! At the moment our monthly savings (my salary and her business savings) is above 200K after family expenditure.

You must be discipline and be transparent to your spouse for you to achieve all these. Some of my colleagues in the office cannot still boast of having a car. They believe our salary is too small to make do with. You must not wait to get the best of jobs before you make good use of your finances. If you can't do it with little pay, you just cant do it with better one.

5 Likes

Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by marami: 2:41pm On May 21, 2010
Big-Man:

I advise you start up a business for your Spouse if she is not doing anything yet. She can go along way to alleviate the condition of your family. Sit her down and inform her that you should do a team work to run your home. There is much you can achieve with your present salary if you plan well with your spouse.

I had similar experience six years ago. Mine was 60k with two kids then but we have three kids now, I had to setup a petty business for my wife and she was so dedicated to it. The business grew to where she could save almost my salary in a month. It got to a stage where both of us had to add more capital and it blossomed. Today, we have a car, built 2 houses (one in the city and another in the village). Truth is my spouse is very enterprising!!! At the moment our monthly savings (my salary and her business savings) is above 200K after family expenditure.

You must be discipline and be transparent to your spouse for you to achieve all these. Some of my colleagues in the office cannot still boast of having a car. They believe our salary is too small to make do with. You must not wait to get the best of jobs before you make good use of your finances. If you can't do it with little pay, you just cant do it with better one.

I am inspired by your advice above. I work in a private firm for the past four months now we have not been paid our salary. I am thinking of going into a business to support my husband, but for now I do not have money to rent a shop to start up business. Please what i advice/encouragement can you give me. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 21, 2010
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 21, 2010
@marami
If you want to succeed in life you don't have to listen much to Gossips. I set a goal with my wife back Jan 2004. We agreed that both of us could make it through team work undermining my salary (60K) then. But i kept telling her to overlook what people will say about what she is doing if we must make it in life.

She started this business popularly called "OKIRIKA" that is fairly used clothes with just 20k. She was selling it in front of our rented apartment because there was no money to rent a shop. Sometimes she goes Hawking the clothes along streets. People called her all sorts of names when she carry clothes on her head selling. After six months, i rented a small Batcher (woody shop) for her.

By Jan 2006, we rented a complete shop and changed the business to new (ready made) clothes no longer OKIRIKA. She did this till June 2007 before we moved to a bigger twin shop and changed to a boutique where we sell both Nigerian and foreign made. Today, She is a supervisor of the boutique. She has people working under her. Some of those women who made mockery of her now come to beg for daily bread.

She is even asking us to supplement it with another business that she will be able to manage both. I just needed our kids to get to some level in their Education before i approve that. I want to fully exploit her know-how in business because i don't have any knowledge in business. Honestly, i couldn't have achieve anything with my poor salary. People around us think my job is the secret of our finance.

4 Likes

Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by femmy2010(m): 4:10pm On May 21, 2010
You call N80K just?when very many families live on much less than that.
Man Du pe tie(BE THANKFUL OF YOUR CONDITION)

1 Like

Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Ofido(m): 4:19pm On May 21, 2010
gwam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, big man just said it all, u must be an igbo brother rigth? big man
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 21, 2010
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 21, 2010
Eiiiiiiiiiiiiyah!

Errrrm, where are the volunteers? do you guys have a job you can get for this poster . .  maybe a 150k job? Poster no? Okay maybe 250k!  cool
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by femi4love(m): 4:25pm On May 21, 2010
I like this thread. I hope some sychos don't come and spoil it as usual.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Day11(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2010
chaircover:

There is no shame in making money no matter how small one starts from, so long as it is made legitimately.

wink  wink winkword

@ Poster, Cut ur suit according to ya size, na today we hear hear 'am. U call 80k *JUST*, I know of a civil servant with 4kids and his wife sell oranges, he lives in a single f***kin room. guess how is his paycheck monthly? But they still f***kly Survive.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by busybody20: 4:29pm On May 21, 2010
Big-Man:

@marami
If you want to succeed in life you don't have to listen much to Gossips. I set a goal with my wife back Jan 2004. We agreed that both of us could make it through team work undermining my salary (60K) then. But i kept telling her to overlook what people will say about what she is doing if we must make it in life.

She started this business popularly called "OKIRIKA" that is fairly used clothes with just 20k. She was selling it in front of our rented apartment because there was no money to rent a shop. Sometimes she goes Hawking the clothes along streets. People called her all sorts of names when she carry clothes on her head selling. After six months, i rented a small Batcher (woody shop) for her.

By Jan 2006, we rented a complete shop and changed the business to new (ready made) clothes no longer OKIRIKA. She did this till June 2007 before we moved to a bigger twin shop and changed to a boutique where we sell both Nigerian and foreign made. Today, She is a supervisor of the boutique. She has people working under her. Some of those women who made mockery of her now come to beg for daily bread.

She is even asking us to supplement it with another business that she will be able to manage both. I just needed our kids to get to some level in their Education before i approve that. I want to fully exploit her know-how in business because i don't have any knowledge in business. Honestly, i couldn't have achieve anything with my poor salary. People around us think my job is the secret of our finance.

God bless you Big Man . This is so Motivating; How i wish people will learn from this. and not come to the internet begging for money or help  undecided

Thanks for sharing

Ujujoan:

Eiiiiiiiiiiiiyah!

Errrrm, where are the volunteers? do you guys have a job you can get for this poster . .  maybe a 150k job? Poster no? Okay maybe 250k!  cool

grin   grin  Uju
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 21, 2010
busybody20:

grin grin Uju

What nau? I'm just trying to help! wink cheesy

Big-Man:

@marami

Hey look here man, what's your problem? So you expect his wife to be selling okirika when her mates are dirving lexus jeep!

You expect them to suffer with just 80k in a month when people are earning 800k!

You expect them to cut their coat according to their size when they want to be rich and drive luxury cars and live in big houses overnight!

Abeg oh, leave this man alone! angry angry tongue cheesy

1 Like

Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by trublu1(f): 4:38pm On May 21, 2010
I agree with everything Big-Man has said.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by maxtop(m): 4:43pm On May 21, 2010
joja155:

Hello NL,i have been working for four to five years now without savings and it gives me a sense of concern.I stay in satellite town festac side Lagos,and work in V/I with one man business and my salary is N80k.There is no allowance,just N80k ,no other source of making money.As a family man,I am very worried because the said amount does not cater for me and family.Atimes the money will finish even before the month end,and you know what it means.I have been trying to find another part time job to do to augment the salary,also have been trying to find more higher paying job but none up till now.Every time i do tell myself,is this how i will make it as a man,depending on a single source of income that is not even enough every month?.Apart from that,nobody prays for bad thing but what if something happen to the one man business?,Not even a single savings or investment!.Truly,i m worried.Please my fellow NL and other family men/women in this forum,how can i go with this,as it is very frustrating.

@ POSTER, ALWAYS GIVE THANKS TO GOD IN EVERY SITUATION,SOME PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM DO NOT GET THAT AS THERE SALARY AND YET THEY STILL PERSEVERE.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by meetmuyiwa(m): 5:01pm On May 21, 2010
I also agree with Big man.
let me just add this,
i work in an higher institution where the cleaners and security men collects between 6k and 10k monthly. these are married men with WIVES and CHILDREN. how they do it i still cant explain but the truth is that they are surviving.
i personally blive it all depends on how you hv trained urself overtime. if u cannot save and invest from 80k, in can assure u that u cant do that with 800k (Have u not heard about parkinson's law of income and expenses).
my advices is that u look ahead into the future. set a long term goal and spend each day moving towards it, a small step at a time. ur children dont hav to wear the best clothes now, they dont need all the toys now, they can still go to schools that are a bit less expensive FOR NOW. By cutting ur expenses u will be able to save and invest little by little. it may hve little or no impact right now but check out the outcome in the next five years,
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by babsmii(m): 5:02pm On May 21, 2010
chaircover:

Big-man thank you so much for sharing the truth on here. Hopefully people will tap into it and hit the ground running.

My very first business was buying a box of 100 mixed balloons and a reel of curling ribbon in various colours and packaging them into packs of 10 and cutting the ribbon into yard lenghts and selling them on e.b.ay.

The little money I made from that, I used to buy organza bags and other venue decorating items from China and the USA and sold on e.b.ay.

Of course everyone else eventually joined the band waggon but I was one step ahead and branched out into other things; see my profile.

I can honestly tell you that I haven't attended a single minutes business course/training in my whole life so you don't even need an MBA to run a  business.

There is no shame in making money no matter how small one starts from, so long as it is made legitimately.

im inspired and highly motivated, you're indeed a super woman,
ive fofund it a bit challenging to start small, ive always wanted to start big and earn big, i need to use my head a bit now, lol
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by rapstar: 5:09pm On May 21, 2010
so you cal 80k a small moni, is not your fault
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by squad1: 5:56pm On May 21, 2010
@ Poster
80k might not be enough but it not not "small" at all,

@Big-man
Im inspired
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by emvick: 6:07pm On May 21, 2010
Big-man were u from? God bless u real good.
I suggest u become a marriage/family counselor. Ur so filled with thoughts for 2moro.

some kinda of ppl say 80k is small, ask them how did they feed daily.
Ur advice is good and can improve a poor family to another level. 80k is not enough/to much to spare.

I think the fellow should think of possible means of survival.
petty trading will help,learning a handwork will also help, open a bank account or akawo[thrift] will help.

i did same and payed my school fee from level 100-500[each fee is 65-70k per session]
pray for wisdom and understanding from God, seek other advices from successful couples u know, talk with a trusted elder[pastor, etc].

ill pray 4 u, just believe God and His word, all things are possible with HIM.dont loose hope,ignore what they will say, ur family is more important than them, focus on your dream and God will make a way 4 u. talk to HIM.

God bless u richly

mail me vyktor9@yahoo.com, ill send u material that will help u,
c u later
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Wallie(m): 6:16pm On May 21, 2010
To people saying 80k is a lot, well, it all depends on how much you’re spending. If your monthly expenses is 80k or greater, not only would you not have any savings, you can also go into debt.

Try to live within or below your means and you will have money left over to save.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Johnnny(m): 6:22pm On May 21, 2010
@ Poster
Now I know that procastination does not help me at all.  I work in one of the banks in Lagos as a contract staff, paid N28,000 monthly.  I am married with a kid.  My wife lost her job in November last year, she's done series of interviews and tests still no job.  She's been pleading with me to help her gather some money between 10K - 15K to start an egg supplying business,  I've been giving useless excuses that I dont have enough, thinking if I was paid like 60K monthly I would have been able to do something.  

But with this your case of 80K, I think its better to start now than wait for increase in my salary.  'cos like someone rightly pointed out, if I cant do something with the little I have, how will I be able to do anything with much money.

Thank you all, I have learned a very good lesson here today.  I hope I succeed like Big man did.  I know we will suffer for a while, but in the next 2 to 5 years things will become better for us.  Thanks, Thanks, Thanks,

A journey of many miles starts with a step, and I am taking mine tonight when I get back home.

My advice to you is that you stop cutting your coat according to your size but cutting your coat according to your cloth, by this I mean cut down your expenses, it will be difficult, but you can do it. I am going to do it even with 28K .

2 Likes

Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by femmy2010(m): 8:01pm On May 21, 2010
Johnny,thanks for the wise word.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by blank(f): 8:08pm On May 21, 2010
Ofido:

gwam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, big man just said it all, u must be an igbo brother rigth? big man

More like his wife is an Igbo sister grin grin grin
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by namski(m): 9:08pm On May 21, 2010
@ Poster, I sincerely do not know how to advise you. But men, how about Big-Man! What an inspiration - well done mate!!
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Nobody: 9:09pm On May 21, 2010
@Jonny, abeg am interested in that egg supply business. 10- 15 k. I need an extra income source
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Amjustme: 10:42pm On May 21, 2010
Ok o! beware of fraudulents peeps sha o! Some few hours someone who says he is jobless n fatherless made a breakthru on NL, and all of a sudden dis poster opens a fresh account to complain, its my opinion sha o! I cant stop u guys from helping but nobody wants 2 be duped so be careful.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by larimo(m): 10:57pm On May 21, 2010
Big-Man:

I had similar experience six years ago. Mine was 60k with two kids then but we have three kids now, I had to setup a petty business for my wife and she was so dedicated to it. The business grew to where she could save almost my salary in a month. It got to a stage where both of us had to add more capital and it blossomed. Today, we have a car, built 2 houses (one in the city and another in the village). Truth is my spouse is very enterprising!!! At the moment our monthly savings (my salary and her business savings) is above 200K after family expenditure.

God bless u for your post. Very informative and educative. We have been havng some really great posts recently on NL wink smiley cool
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by biggiedol: 12:35am On May 22, 2010
Mr Man,u better sit-up,my own father earned between 45-60k and was able to train 3 of us in university,and he works there at Adeola Hopewell str,V/I also,u better plan nd stop complaining
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by Outstrip(f): 2:11am On May 22, 2010
What does your wife do. 80K is not a million but you can do something with that. I think you got some very good advice here. You can use that 80k better than you think you can. Do you have a budget? No amount of money is too small to start something. Especially in Nigeria. Take advantage of that.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by rickie4us(m): 8:28am On May 22, 2010
Outstrip:

What does your wife do. 80K is not a million but you can do something with that. I think you got some very good advice here. You can use that 80k better than you think you can. Do you have a budget? No amount of money is too small to start something. Especially in Nigeria. Take advantage of that.

very true

with valuable comments from BIGMAN and CHAIRCOVER and some others in this forum, this is all the poster needs to stay focussed.
Re: Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:46am On May 22, 2010
Wow! Inspiring comments from Bigman & chaircover.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

false reasons why some people believe feminists hate men / Please Help Me, What Do I Do To An Ungrateful Wife? / My Parents Are Always Quarelling And Fighting What Do I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.