Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,001 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development (9430 Views)

Why Are These Two Igbo States Hated??? / An Analysis/predictions Of The Presidential Elections In South East (igbo)states / GDP in Relation to Poverty in Nigeria: Why are Igbo States Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by lelele: 4:46pm On May 24, 2010
@Mekusyz
Guy, the fact that a place has a resource means nothing, the question is do they have it in  a production-profitable quantity? The answer to that is no, most places in Nigeria don't have enough resource to make a wildcatter or prospector blink. However I do agree with some of your comments that present governors in the region are trying, and the region has suffered the most due to neglect by FG and past corrupt governors.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 4:56pm On May 24, 2010
lelele:

@Mekusyz
Guy, the fact that a place has a resource means nothing, the question is do they have it in  a production-profitable quantity? The answer to that is no, most places in Nigeria don't have enough resource to make a wildcatter or prospector blink. However I do agree with some of your comments that present governors in the region are trying, and the region has suffered the most due to neglect by FG and past corrupt governors.

I posted those to counter Kobonjunkie whose sole aim was to prove that Igbo states have something that others do not have, and hence should have developed more. Contrary to his claims that Lagos has nothing, I have shown that Lagos has a lot of resources, like any other state. I am however, aware that raw materials on their own do not develop a state; people do, together with an ability to harness the raw materials.

Bottomline:
1. Every Nigerian region has the potential to grow
2. All Nigerian states are developing rather slowly
3. Igbo states are not the slowest in that development process
4. Igbo states lack federal presence, one of the reasons they lack good roads, bridges etc, especially those of the federal govt. The issue of the River Niger bridge and lack of fed airport are cases in point.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Cohomology: 5:52pm On May 24, 2010
@mekuszyx,

Thank you for your solid defense of Igbo interests. Many of us admire your good works.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Cohomology: 6:03pm On May 24, 2010
Kobojunkie's main problem is that she's trying to turn a relative assertion into an absolute one.

You cannot assert that Igbo states are lagging behind and expect the discourse to end there. Lagging behind what states?

This could also be a case of grammatical confusion on Kobojunkie's part. The phrase "lagging behind" uses the verb "lag" in a transitive sense. So, for such an assertion to make any sense whatsoever, she must tell the reader the states that Igbo states are lagging behind, and also the development indices that show the lag (lag here has been used in an intransitive sense - see the difference?).
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:30pm On May 24, 2010
Sunny_bobo is back

subscribes to thread! shocked
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 9:05pm On May 24, 2010
Cohomology:

@mekuszyx,

Thank you for your solid defense of Igbo interests. Many of us admire your good works.

No worries, bro. We are here not only to defend the truth but to also puncture existing, albeit wrong, perceptions. Only a stu-pid Igbo person will come on here to say that Igbo states are developed. At the same time only an ignorant, uninformed or plain mischievious non-Igbo will claim that Igbo states are lagging behind other states in the little development Nigeria as a whole has  managed to make. Nairaland may be a site where many mediocres congregate, but some of us who log in here are equipped with all the information we need, togther with the intellect to analyse them, tribalism or any perception of it, notwithstanding.

There is no part of Nigeria devoid of bragging rights. If Igbos must be expected to be doing better because of some unfounded claims of superiority, then the entire Yoruba (and not just Lagos) should also be judged similarly because both groups are the master claimants and counter-claimants to superiority.  After all, Nigeria actually began in Yorubaland, with Lagos being where the colonialists administered it from. More so, the hausa/fulani who have laid claim to superior political skills and have actualized that by ruling Nigeria for the better part of its age. Yet they have ABSOLUTELY nothing to show for it.

I can say that about 50% of the developments in Igboland are individual or community-based, something you hardly find elsewhere, and that attribute alone sets Igbos apart from other Nigerians. The entire Fed allocation to the 5 Igbo states monthly is less than what Kano alone gets. FACT.

This is not to hold brief for our thieving governors, whom in any case, are just thieves amongst other governor thieves.

Cohomology:

Kobojunkie's main problem is that she's trying to turn a relative assertion into an absolute one.

You cannot assert that Igbo states are lagging behind and expect the discourse to end there. Lagging behind what states?

This could also be a case of grammatical confusion on Kobojunkie's part. The phrase "lagging behind" uses the verb "lag" in a transitive sense. So, for such an assertion to make any sense whatsoever, she must tell the reader the states that Igbo states are lagging behind, and also the development indices that show the lag (lag here has been used in an intransitive sense - see the difference?).

She (he) has just exposed her (his) warped state of mind.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by abadaba(m): 10:35pm On May 24, 2010
@Mekus: Thanks for your last post.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Katsumoto: 10:50pm On May 24, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Abadaba = Andrew Uweh

Why do people use multiple IDs? To increase the support for one line of argument? Is that really necessary if one's argument is sound?

Andre Uweh:

Onitsha was a town that was reduced to ground Zero by the enemy forces during the Nigerian civil war. But today, what do you see at Onitsha?. Is it 5,6,7 storey buildings.
If towns such as Shagamu or Zaria had gone through what Onitsha went through during the war, do you think they would have attained the same height at which they are today?.
So who is lagging behind?.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by 006(m): 4:13am On May 25, 2010
^^^^^^
Meaning 

@mekus, keep it up.
Don't mind those dunce that shy away from the truth.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by naijaway(m): 6:03am On May 25, 2010
Very revealing and intresting. No doubt! this will recalibrate some sterotypes especially among nigerians including those that accepted such sterotypes.
Minimal insult was key in this subject. More facts and intelligent analysis. Less harsh barbs from all participants. Tyt/tight/nice. Peace.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by babapupa: 6:35am On May 25, 2010
mekuszyx:

I posted those to counter Kobonjunkie whose sole aim was to prove that Igbo states have something that others do not have, and hence should have developed more. Contrary to his claims that Lagos has nothing, I have shown that Lagos has a lot of resources, like any other state. I am however, aware that raw materials on their own do not develop a state; people do, together with an ability to harness the raw materials.

Bottomline:
1. Every Nigerian region has the potential to grow
2. All Nigerian states are developing rather slowly
3. Igbo states are not the slowest in that development process
4. Igbo states lack federal presence, one of the reasons they lack good roads, bridges etc, especially those of the federal govt. The issue of the River Niger bridge and lack of fed airport are cases in point.

But you do not lack federal representation, you have federal lawmakers/senators, federal ministers and heads of federal agencies and parastatals. It is their job to fight and look out for you and make sure your region gets what it deserves. They are not only your people, they are your elected officials. They are you federal presence.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 8:44am On May 25, 2010
Cohomology:

I am not sure where you get that from but a lag does not necessary have to be in relations to other STATES.

Cohomology:

You really think you are addressing a dunce, don’t you? Lol

Ibo States could be lagging behind standards; standards not necessarily attained by other states in the same country.  We are speaking of Nigeria here, aren’t we? Knowing this, why would you want to engage in silly comparison of states, all not even close to where they ought to be by generally accepted standards? What next, we compare Ibo states to states in a subsection of Sudan?

By the way, do not put this one on me, or the dictionary next, because what you have above is nothing but a myopic take of the application of the idiom – myopic in the sense that you attempt there to FORCE this into some useless STATE VS. STATE argument when it can be more than that. Next time, rather that try to LECTURE me in the art of RIDICULOUSNESS, may I suggest you stick to actually DISCUSSING the issue at hand?

Someone asked of how we measure development in this case, earlier in the thread – that should have clued you in to the fact that this is likely not going to be by indices alone since we are, speaking of Nigeria here. We tried the development indices route and I found that is likely not to work for this, because all the indices seem to claim that Ibo states are all doing extremely well yet Ibos do not generally believe they are true measures of life on ground in Ibo land. If you reject this, then I suggest you read some of the many complaints from Ibos on nairaland on how they are “victims” in the “contraption” called Nigeria.

(NOT A COMPARISON FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT HANDLE OBJECTIVITY OF ANY KIND)

Even though the Lagos State governor is, considered by many, the best in Nigeria, Lagosians know Lagos is not where it ought to be i.e. it still lags behind when it comes to providing the basics for the people. Indices shows that Lagos is doing extremely well in Nigeria but development wise, it is still lagging behind when it comes to standards expected in democratic states, civilized and advanced worlds (No particular democracy – and this is not talking about number of 5 or 4 story buildings or higher in the state or what not).

I am almost 100% that when the issue of the state lagging behind, is brought up maybe in the house, officers do not come up with ridiculous conclusions, that unless one can conclude it is lagging behind another state in Nigeria, there is nothing to be said.  Moreover, I sincerely hope anyone who ever thinks in that manner is fired on the spot because I personally believe stupidity of that sort ought not to be allowed in present in decision-making rooms in any government.

BACK TO THE ISSUE I HAVE BEEN ON SINCE MY FIRST POST ON THIS

In my opinion, measuring development in a Nigerians state ought to be in terms of how people-centric Government projects are, and how the successes/failures of said projects affect/have affected the lives of people.

FACT: Many of the states in Iboland have resources that are available to aid in development of each individual state. 

The Federal government has no ban in place, I know of, hindering development, and implementation of serious projects, not only help improve the basic situation of the people but improve iboland as a whole. There are no federal policies, I know of, hindering said states from investing in the wellbeing of the people, inviting investors, or developing certain industries.  No ban I know of that currently hinders governments in Iboland from investing in infrastructure development project such as construction of brigdes, where necessary, rebuilding of schools to standards comparable to international standards, re-investing in the Education sector to better develop it's work force and better complete on a global scale. 

As some have honestly stated, Ibo states are behind…. Lacking development wise. Why? Where from here? What are governments ought to be working on, that they are not? What can be done or changed?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 9:10am On May 25, 2010
ahhh come on you people, are you still on this
topic?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 9:12am On May 25, 2010
All states in Nigeria in more than one way are under-developed,
so lets not stress the issue,
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 9:13am On May 25, 2010
Apart from Abuja, i dont think any other area in Nigeria is a
Priority of the Government.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 9:15am On May 25, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
Which goes to show that if the Government whats to do
something they will go ahead and do it, even if you like
it or not, kind of like the countries some people are living
in right now,  ie your USA and UK's.

If all states in Nigeria were as developed as Abuja would people
be complaining?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by KnowAll(m): 10:09am On May 25, 2010
[size=14pt]The Igbo Governor’s are the most heartless and henious thieves in the federation, they turn a blind eye on the squalor and deprivation of their people, no wonder Kidnapping and other social vices is prominent in that enclave. (Drug dealing, Ashawo,419, e.t.c)

They turned down a visionary in Soludo only to vote an incumbent. Incumbency in the East is synonymous with stand-down, don’t expect anything from Obi in the next 4 years.

One thing you can be assured of is the Ikemba would be handsomely taking care off and remitted, and Obi would by the end of his term have achieved that warp idea of being a billionaire at the people’s expense[/size]. ( I just hope his driver and orderly would be careful when transporting the people’s common-wealth from Akwa to Lagos this time.)  lipsrsealed

[size=14pt]The key to unlock the squalor in the East is to vote for one-term Governors knowing the 2nd term is a free for all, this principle is applicable to all other federating units of Nigeria.[/size]
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by metalgong5(m): 12:38pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

The Igbo Governor’s are the most heartless and henious thieves in the federation, they turn a blind eye on the squalor and deprivation of their people, no wonder Kidnapping and other social vices is prominent in that enclave. (Drug dealing, Ashawo,419, e.t.c)

They turned down a visionary in Soludo only to vote an incumbent. Incumbency in the East is synonymous with stand-down, don’t expect anything from Obi in the next 4 years.

One thing you can be assured of is the Ikemba would be handsomely taking care off and remitted, and Obi would by the end of his term have achieved that warp idea of being a billionaire at the people’s expense
. ( I just hope his driver and orderly would be careful when transporting the people’s common-wealth from Akwa to Lagos this time.) lipsrsealed

The key to unlock the squalor in the East is to vote for one-term Governors knowing the 2nd term is a free for all, this principle is applicable to all other federating units of Nigeria.

Old fool!! sad sad sad sad
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by lelele: 1:47pm On May 25, 2010
@metal gong

I think your reaction to Know all's post brings to fore an important matter, the protection of corrupt leaders. I think Know all's post lacked tact and his language was a little blunt, but then your attack, the defense of Orji Uzor Kalu, Sani Yerima's defense and Ibori recently makes me wonder if electoral reforms are going to be effective. Our problem as a nation is a warped sense of loayalty (We are loyal to useless organisations and unprofitable institutions), and of course lack of a good educational system.

@Knowall

Bros there is no problem that is unique to the East, Nigeria is an unhealthy nation. Trying to posit a solution or ideology no matter how effective in the manner you have done earlier would arouse suspicion of tribal sentiments.

@All

This is a funny thread, if foreigners read this they would be disappointed when they get to know the places where you are comparing. Posters are basically comparing a man that died 10 years ago with a man that died yesterday, what is the use Our economy is dead! None of our cities (We don't even have cities, mayb Lagos would try a bit) is worth visiting as a tourist attraction centre. I have travelled to a few places, but I am yet to find any country like Nigeria. We have a one commodity economy, okay now I don't wanna get started (Let's just forget this argument).
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 2:33pm On May 25, 2010
babapupa:

But you do not lack federal representation, you have federal lawmakers/senators, federal ministers and heads of federal agencies and parastatals. It is their job to fight and look out for you and make sure your region gets what it deserves. They are not only your people, they are your elected officials. They are you federal presence.

I believe the number of people you have in the senate and house affects how much lobby you can make. The entire south east is underepresented in both houses (due to having the lowest number of states and LGAs), such that they are always overwhelmed when votes are needed to arrive at anything. This again brings to the fore the need to equilibrate the number of states in each region to give each region the same number of representatitives in both houses. Or, abrogate states and continue with 6 regions.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 2:36pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]The Igbo Governor’s are the most heartless and henious thieves in the federation, they turn a blind eye on the squalor and deprivation of their people, no wonder Kidnapping and other social vices is prominent in that enclave. (Drug dealing, Ashawo,419, e.t.c)

One thing you can be assured of is the Ikemba would be handsomely taking care off and remitted, and Obi would by the end of his term have achieved that warp idea of being a billionaire at the people’s expense[/size]. ( I just hope his driver and orderly would be careful when transporting the people’s common-wealth from Akwa to Lagos this time.) lipsrsealed

[size=14pt]The key to unlock the squalor in the East is to vote for one-term Governors knowing the 2nd term is a free for all, this principle is applicable to all other federating units of Nigeria.[/size]

I did not know that the entire 5 Igbo states should have voted for Soludo of Anambra state?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by lelele: 2:54pm On May 25, 2010
Anambra state, if reports are anything to go by seems to have a good governor. All these talk abt Soludo is meaningless, what will Soludo do? As an administator, he wasn't excellent. I don't even know his policies, today he is welfarist, the next capitalist. As a lecturer, fantastic! otherwise forget him. No need putting square pegs in round holes. Andy Uba is someone else that I admire in the state, too bad he has thrown his hat in the ring. Let's just forget Soludo.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by KnowAll(m): 2:56pm On May 25, 2010
I did not know that the entire 5 Igbo states should have voted for Soludo of Anambra state?

[size=14pt]Anambra State is a litmus test of what transpires in the other States in the East. Ohakim’s criminality and cruelty to an innocent journalist is well documented in every media forum be it print, electronic or otherwise.

Such cruelty is unprecedented in the annals of hooliganism in Nigeria, I need not remind you of the covet clan wars going on in Ebnonyi, nor the gross decay in Aba in Abia state.

The only one with a bit of decorum is the Enugu State guy, obviously one is not surprise as he is a qualified Law officer, to behave in way contrary to that noble profession’s ethics would have irrevocably banish the Igbo tribe in its entirety as a bunch of uncivilised scallywags that needs re-colonisation and re-orientation.[/size]
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 3:02pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Anambra State is a litmus test of what transpires in the other States in the East. Ohakim’s criminality and cruelty to an innocent journalist is well documented in every media forum be it print, electronic or otherwise.

Such cruelty is unprecedented in the annals of hooliganism in Nigeria, I need not remind you of the covet clan wars going on Ebnonyi, nor the gross decay in Aba in Abia state.

The only one with a bit of decorum is the Enugu State guy, obviously one is not surprise as he is a qualified Law officer, to behave in way contrary to that noble profession’s ethics would have irrevocably banish the Igbo tribe in its entirety as a bunch of uncivilised scallywags that needs re-colonisation and re-orientation.[/size]

Em! Do you know of the incidence in Ekiti where the Gov and his boys beat up journalists in secret rooms? I thought we are all agreed that Akala is one helluva holigan? I thought that we are all agreed that Fayose was a motor-park tout turned gov? I thought weare all agreed that Tinubu was an incompetent drug-dealing gov whose only legacy was thuggery?
http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3849:2009-10-05-13-42-43&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUQytgR7jE
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by asha80(m): 3:08pm On May 25, 2010
^^^you forgot the attempted cannibalism of the ekiti governors aides in that occasion.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 3:13pm On May 25, 2010
asha 80:

^^^you forgot the attempted cannibalism of the ekiti governors aides in that occasion.

No I did not. It is also available in my archives.lol Not to mention the absolute disappointment and ritualistic thief that Gbenga Daniel turned into
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by KnowAll(m): 3:17pm On May 25, 2010
Em! Do you know of the incidence in Ekiti where the Gov and his boys beat up journalists in secret rooms? I thought we are all agreed that Akala is one helluva holigan? I thought that we are all agreed that Fayose was a motor- park tout turned gov? I thought weare all agrred that Tinubu was an incompetent drug-dealing gov whose ony legacy was thuggery?
http://www.saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3849:2009-10-05-13-42-43&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HUQytgR7jE

[size=14pt]Akala might be ineffective but not brutal, I don’t believe he is not performing, he is performing to the best of his abilities (his abilities might not be = to minimum standard but he never pretended to punch above his weight) what do u expect from a sacked semi -illetrate Police Officer  undecided

Fayose was bullied out of office by OBJ hence his anger and aggrieved attitude. I would not blame him, if na u nko, u go, go quietly like a mugu without fighting, the man is fighting for his right and his stolen mandate.[/size]
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by asha80(m): 3:27pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Akala might be ineffective but not brutal, I don’t believe he is not performing, he is performing to the best of his abilities (his abilities might not be = to minimum standard but he never pretended to punch above his weight) what do u expect from sacked semi -illetrate Police Officer undecided

Fayose was bullied out of office by OBJ hence his anger and aggrieved attitude. I would not blame him, if na u nko, u go, go quietly like a mugu without fighting, the man is fighting for his right and his stolen mandate.[/size]

Are you giving excuses?Abeg go siddon for gutter.Obasanjo tried to bully Peter Obi out of Office why did he not succeed?

As for the bolded i do not blame you.You know it all indeed.And what were Oyo indegenes doing electing a semi illiterate police officer whose love for bleaching and owambe is unrivalled?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 3:28pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Akala might be ineffective but not brutal, I don’t believe he is not performing, he is performing to the best of his abilities (his abilities might not be = to minimum standard but he never pretended to punch above his weight) what do u expect from a sacked semi -illetrate Police Officer  undecided

Fayose was bullied out of office by OBJ hence his anger and aggrieved attitude. I would not blame him, if na u nko, u go, go quietly like a mugu without fighting, the man is fighting for his right and his stolen mandate.[/size]

Lame excuses as usual. The other thugs?

Tinubu?
Oni?
Gbenga Daniel?
and, wait for this
OBJ himself?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Katsumoto: 3:29pm On May 25, 2010
KnowAll:

[size=14pt]Akala might be ineffective but not brutal, I don’t believe he is not performing, he is performing to the best of his abilities (his abilities might not be = to minimum standard but he never pretended to punch above his weight) what do u expect from a sacked semi -illetrate Police Officer  undecided

I am sorry but you have been chatting dust since. I tried to ignore your posts but I can't any longer. What is the point of your posts when you can not even defend them? You will only succeed in turning this into a roforofo fight.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by KnowAll(m): 3:53pm On May 25, 2010
I am sorry but you have been chatting dust since. I tried to ignore your posts but I can't any longer. What is the point of your posts when you can not even defend them? You will only succeed in turning this into a roforofo fight.

[size=14pt]Who was the man who called for the colonialist to come back and rule Imo State back in 1983, the crying Governor his honourable Sam Ibakwe. The man has more sense than some of u Igbo’s who are not ready to smell the coffee.

The man knows that the Igbo’s lack the tact, patience and decorum needed to govern, the reason being that the Igbo’s inherent believe that everyman na  oga in his or her own right, such thinking does not auger well for development, it is an anti-establishment stance no wonder authorities in the East are treated with disdain and with kid gloves, the moment the Igbo’s learn to subdue themselves to authority that day they would see the light.

50 Candidates (are they really Candidates, bandits would be a more correct description of these desperadoes) for one Governorship post, I don’t think any state would ever break that record.

OBJ has never being a Governor and cannot be mentioned in tandem with these low lifers who call themselves Governors.[/size]
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 4:10pm On May 25, 2010
Katsumoto:

Perhaps he thought writing his giberrish in bold print means the defense of it.lol. He even turned you into an Igbo in the 2nd line of his last response.

Knowall:
Your name is the opposite of your true state: knownothing.  Actually not every eediotic post deserves a response.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Boko Haram Kingpin Arrested In Adamawa, Bomb Factory Closed / Reps Raise 2020 Budget To N10.6 Trillion From N10.33 Trillion / PDP Clears Cross River LG Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.