Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,218 members, 7,807,746 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! (13428 Views)

Help GTB Cleared My Account And My Account Balance Is Now In Debit / Money Was Wrongfully Transfered Into My Account, What Should I Do? Pls Advise / Opening A Joint Account, What Is The Minimum Amount Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by KAYD007(m): 2:48pm On May 24, 2010
leave the money miss rd in ur account and quickly do wht TCRACK said [but,withdraw all the money that is truely yours (you old balance) from the account iam sure you wont want an "unexpected withdrawal" to come and sweep everything ]
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by lexicon(m): 2:53pm On May 24, 2010
Pls go to d bank and confirm the transaction . . . . . if possible , trace the origin . . . . . Dont do what will put u in a debt , xpecially if its ur salary accout . . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by EEVICTOREE(m): 2:56pm On May 24, 2010
I wish i was lucky like this,
Me wey need money pass Goodluck Jonathan,   grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by femmy2010(m): 3:13pm On May 24, 2010
hmmm
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 24, 2010
pls return the money its obviously an error and if you dnt rtn it u'll still have to pay eventually when they catch up with u infact it could be classified as fraud.do yourself a favour and return it.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by OlayinkaL: 4:08pm On May 24, 2010
GLORY BE TO GOD, NIGERIANS ARE NOW HAVIN GOD FEARIN MIND. i'm really happy about all the reply or comment made by naialanders. may god bless u for all ur advice for Isrideal or wahtever he called himself. if the guy now do otherwise, i mean do not report the case for retification, it is then left with him and God almighty to judge .
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by maddock(m): 4:14pm On May 24, 2010
See person see temptation, anyway inspite of the many advices one thing is certain here, some will definitely pay for that money should you decided not to do the RIGHT thing. That could ruin a life,just imagine an OND holder with a salary of 30k being asked to refund that amount of money. I would have adviced you to vamoose with the money just to teach those selfish bank a lesson but 500k is not going to bankrupt any bank. So go back and report the issue.Kapish.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by larimo(m): 4:14pm On May 24, 2010
[size=16pt]Please return, without a second thought, that sum of money. [/size]
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 24, 2010
Someone who knew your account number deposited the funds for you.

It was a blessing from God. [Surprise Package] Think about it. u have got debts to pay

Ask the bank if it's an error. If they confirm it is NOT. Spend iT - Problem Solved
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by benabbey(m): 4:50pm On May 24, 2010
Don't think it is a form of luck that has brought the money to your account. Elsewhere some Cashier/Tellers may loose their JOB on that simple error. The Cashier must ensure that the name on the Deposit Slip Tallies with the one the system, failure to do so the Teller will be a gonner. The call over officer who suppose to call over the Teller Job to ensure compliance who fail to see the error is also a gonner. The operations manager who signed of on the days transaction is also a gonner. The compliance officer of the branch who is the internal Auditor who fails to see such error is also a gonner.

Friend do you see the chain of people you will put into problem if you do not quickly return the money before. the beneficiary escalate the issue and lead to a loss of so many job. And do not forget for one person working in Nigeria today so many people are tied to their apron. please i beg you in the name of everything that is good return the money immediately.

Remember the Yoruba name Ajeigbe. Do you know the meaning. please find out
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by babsmii(m): 4:54pm On May 24, 2010
LeoMax:

[b]If you are in Lagos, call the bank to inform that you receive funds in your account and that you have been expecting cash (same amt as posted). Then take the fastest flight to Abuja, use ATM there to pull out the cash (up to daily limit) and return back to lagos, call the bank with Lagos Landline to say work holds you that you will make it. First and second call should be between 1Hr 30 mins. Make sure you go to the bank and tell them that u wanna confirm who sent the cash, then bank will certainly know that withdrawal has been made. Then ask them "BY WHOM"? and tell them and HOW, if they detect thats it from ATM at ABUJA, shout and say, my ATM is with me in LAGOS, how can that happen, NIGERIAN BANKING SECURITY IS POOR WATER. They will tell you that they will look into it. Use night flight and enter Abuja again and pull another (full daily limit). By now you have made up to 240,000 depending on your bank limit, less flight expenses, and make sure you report back to the bank as early as 8 am next and say who want to see the bottom of it. Please note that your flight ticket should not be bought with your name, nor your signature on the ticket. And make sure you dont call or receive calls during your sharp trips to Abuja. At the end, Bank security unit will allege ATM clone, and issue you new one, when thats offered, tell them you simply wanna close the account and open new since you dont want a recurrence. Meet me for more tips on how to reap where you didnt sow. [/b]

can u imagine how a citizen analyzed his criminal thought in this post above, guy u must be a thief, i dont pray to ever meet people like you, chai
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by yelanst(m): 5:01pm On May 24, 2010
good citizens in a bad nation.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by bones1(m): 5:08pm On May 24, 2010
isthis4real

We can all see that you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea - either you report the incident to the bank and risk one of theofficers of the bank converting the money to his/her personal use OR you keep quiet, pray (?)and play the waiting game in the belief that after probably a few weeks nobody will raise an eyebrow and you will be free to spend the money.

I believe that is a concise summary of your predicament.

From the posts so far the majority of members prefer you to report the incident, albeit in a very wise manner so as to deduce whether the crediting of your account was intentional or in error. I tend to agree with this line of action. Why you may ask ?

Form the simple reason that you are already in debt, by your own words. So why do you want to risk mounting up more debt by spending a huge amount of money which does not belong to you. you may be able to spend it in three month;s time and get away with it but who is to say tyhat sometime in the future , maybe in 6, 7 or 8 months time the (erroneous) crediting of your account is not discovered.

My advice is to simply ensure the money is returned to the bank - ensure the return is DOCUMENTED and copied to as many bank officials as you can (you can even put the head office of the bank in the loop).

To spend the money will mean your heart will always be in your mouth or skip a beat whenever you see a strange number calling you or you hear a knock at your door.

In this case it is better to err on the side of caution. The money is not worth the risk.

I rest my case !
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by philip0906(m): 5:10pm On May 24, 2010
@poster
u r on a long thing.think thrice grin grin grin grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by bones1(m): 5:11pm On May 24, 2010
As tempting as it might look, please ignore advice of babsmii !
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 24, 2010
Poster, am tempted to call you a thief for coming to ask for advice.

Since you are not expecting any money in that region, it simply means it's not your money.

Call the attention of the bank and see how a heavy moral burden will be lifted up from your shoulder.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Carlosein(m): 5:56pm On May 24, 2010
bones1:

the bad advise was not by babsmii.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:13pm On May 24, 2010
Wen I first saw d topic, I tot so many nlandrs would tel d poster 2 kip d money bt alas I was provn wrng. It shws we STIL GOD fearing pple in Naija.

@poster, listn 2 d words of Wisdom wich is d applicatn of Knowledge n Knowledge is d accumulatn of info. All d info u av gatherd 4rm peopl's posts shld b enuf 2 guid u. wat is nt urs is DEFINITELY nt urs. Sum1 is gona pay 4 dat error nw or later. this might jst b a test 4rm GOD. my broda if u fail it, u don lose b dat.

I remembr a tellr ovapayin a customr wen I ws doin my yut servis in d bank. Dis error put so much stres n tension d lady. She jst startd workg in d bank wen it happend evn d supervisors wer nt help matters. She was thinjkg on how she was gona pay d moni n she is d breadwinner of hr famly. Luckily 4 hr, d mata ws reslvd. D custmr's account was placed on alert-so he wldnt b abl 2 withdrw mony 4rm hs a/c. D custmr cam lata n wen he was askd abt it he said he tot d bank was doing a money bonanza.

My relativ was also ovrpaid. It was wen he got hom he notisrd d excess. He wnt d followg day 2 return d excess. D teller who paid him was tryg 2 remembr who she ovrpaid. Dat action alone savd her 4rm query, memo n job loss.

@poster, hope u learnt sumtin 4rm d stories u av learnt sory read. Save urself, family n unborn generations trouble n problems. a WORD IS ENUF 4 D WISE dat is IF u ar wise!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by SeanT21(f): 6:24pm On May 24, 2010
Its not your money, return it!!

Do the right thing.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by pewekac: 6:44pm On May 24, 2010
pewekac on Today at 11:11:52 AM]having worked in a bank before i can tell it's most likely wrong posting by a teller. if they have their correct controls in place (call over etc) they should be able to detect in in 24hours and reverse the posting. if they don't and the money stays for say 2 weeks o boy then chop the money (especially if you have a gross to settle with them). by then it will be gross negligence and they won't really be able to threaten you. you can simply say you rightly though it was payment for a business transaction you did and all the staff involved will be seriously queried.

the only thing is if the account is one of your most used ones and you have other monies/interests in the bank, then they'll go hard on you.[/quote]

[quote author=Double N:

It is not always the case of wrong posting,bankers do this all the time to launder cash in the bank. In order to prevent large deposits being reported to CBN when they are made,they split it into several accounts then effect transfers after a period of time. Trust me,you do not want to withdraw such cash cos they will send people to come looking for you. Except you did not use your correct details to open the account,which i am sure you did.

bros it's evident you haven't worked in a bank before. the phrase "bankers do this all the time" is totally wrong. it's not easy to commit fraud there as a staff, there are checks and balances and to scale through you need a lot of cooperation (by form of password compromise, or negligence to duty by some colleagues). and "the sending of people to look for him" thing is highly unlikely. bankers are not mafias.

I'm 99% sure it's a case of wrong posting. either the depositor or supposed beneficiary of funds raises a complain or the teller/call over officer/supervisor/control=compliance guy realises the mistake. if this is not done like say after 1 week feel free to chop the money. the only downside will be guilt or possible repayment later on. once they realise their mistake they can only beg you to repay not threaten.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by hilli666(m): 7:03pm On May 24, 2010
Transfer the money into my account so I can proceed with further investigations. That way you are covered, if any body ask just direct them to me. I will convert the money and give you 100k of clean legit money its up to you, but act quick my offer will not stand forever. grin
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by ibgreat(m): 7:10pm On May 24, 2010
The fear of EFCC is the beginning of wisdom!!!

Thou shall not take what does not belong to him or her.

This is not a matter of luck. If you take it you will pay for it in a more difficult way.

Pray for God gifts always. Satan is at work.

Beware.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by CashInfo(m): 11:11am On May 25, 2010
Please ooo.Just be honest and return the money.Remember,honesty is the best policy!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by btlasisi(m): 12:48pm On May 25, 2010
My dear friend,

I will advise you to jettison the idea of helping yourself with somebody else money and think you can evade being caught.

This exercise might be turning point of your life. Return the money to the Bank and move on with your life or  convert it to your private use and have yourself to blame in future.

Let take critical analysis of this:- What do you stand to gain by not returning this money? and What do you stand to Loose if you do not return the money.

I do not want to write too much, but be reminded that this little matter can lead you to jail and set you back for the rest of your life.

Wait for God's Time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by babsmii(m): 3:14pm On May 25, 2010
bones1:

i was criticizing the bad a bad advice given by another NLder, i didn't give it ok, thank your God im in good mood
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Chuckdee(m): 3:27pm On May 25, 2010
[quote Insert Quote
If you are in Lagos, call the bank to inform that you receive funds in your account and that you have been expecting cash (same amt as posted). Then take the fastest flight to Abuja, use ATM there to pull out the cash (up to daily limit) and return back to lagos, call the bank with Lagos Landline to say work holds you that you will make it. First and second call should be between 1Hr 30 mins. Make sure you go to the bank and tell them that u wanna confirm who sent the cash, then bank will certainly know that withdrawal has been made. Then ask them "BY WHOM"? and tell them and HOW, if they detect thats it from ATM at ABUJA, shout and say, my ATM is with me in LAGOS, how can that happen, NIGERIAN BANKING SECURITY IS POOR WATER. They will tell you that they will look into it. Use night flight and enter Abuja again and pull another (full daily limit). By now you have made up to 240,000 depending on your bank limit, less flight expenses, and make sure you report back to the bank as early as 8 am next and say who want to see the bottom of it. Please note that your flight ticket should not be bought with your name, nor your signature on the ticket. And make sure you dont call or receive calls during your sharp trips to Abuja. At the end, Bank security unit will allege ATM clone, and issue you new one, when thats offered, tell them you simply wanna close the account and open new since you dont want a recurrence. Meet me for more tips on how to reap where you didnt sow.
[quote][/quote]

Ol boy, You go fear fear now!, My guy, you are truely the best definition of the word: CRIMINAL MINDS!

Shege!
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by loudboy5: 8:03am On May 26, 2010
Guy do what you think is right.
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by kay0195: 8:44am On May 27, 2010
So what have u done now?
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by Striker1(m): 1:39pm On May 28, 2010
HAHAHA POOR GUY !! THANK GOD I'M NOT IN HIS SHOES !!!
WE ALL KNOW THE RIGHT THING TO DO, BUT GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING IT, THE FACT THAT HE IS BROKE, THE FACT THAT WE HAVE A SHITTY BANKING SYSTEM THAT IS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO DISCOVER THIS ERROR, MANY OF US WOULD BE REALLY TEMPTED, AND END UP MAKING THE WRONG CHOICE(KEEPING IT). IT'LL TAKE A LION HEART TO DO THE RIGHT THING !, AND PEOPLE WHO POSSESS SUCH A HEART ARE RARE, HENCE THE REASON, OUR POLITICIANS ARE STEALING, IF WE WERE IN THEIR SHOES, MOST OF US WOULD DO THESAME THING !
GUY !, DO WHAT U MUST DO, WHATEVER U DECIDE TO DO, THERE IS A CONSEQUENCE !,

P.S. YOU'LL NEED A WHOLE LOT OF INTEGRITY TO RETURN THAT MONEY !!! HAHAHAHA POOR U !,
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by nellyyme: 10:45am On May 30, 2010
Get the depositors information and comfirm from him/her if he made any payment to your account, dont eat from where you did not sow cos it might return to you tommorrow
Re: Unexpected money in my account - What do I do? I have bills to pay! by niger2011: 12:02pm On May 30, 2010
babsmii:

can u imagine how a citizen analyzed his criminal thought in this post above, guy u must be a thief, i dont pray to ever meet people like you, chai
This is dangerous man. You may land in jail and you must know that fraudsters now implicate innocent by sending some money to their account. This money may be from someone kidnapped or threat to do so. You may later be arrested!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Again Naira Falls, Sells At N465 Per Dollar / Controversial Ibaka Seaport Relocated And Renamed. / Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.