Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies (24880 Views)

I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / I Finally Had An Extra Year / Carpenter With No Child Sends 33 Strangers To University With Life Savings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by ollyruffy: 6:39pm On May 09, 2018
Can you just imagine how someone is thinking. This country is being run by stupid people.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by jinxet2000: 7:24pm On May 09, 2018
First,
why spend one year reading borrowed courses?
why spend 4 years reading how to account for money and financial transactions when it is all about income and expenditure cashflow?

why spend 5 years reading engineering when you will not design an electronic toy?

Now, this is my proposal Prof Anwuka;

Art Courses
1 (0.5 yrs) semesters for science courses
3 years for core courses with monthly exams - Not wait until semester end to set exams for all you taught months back, we no be machine.
0.5 year for project - lecturers should get their act together and stop delaying results and project review and students should be taught project research and documentation process within the 3 years of study.

Engineering courses
1 (0.5 yrs) semesters for art courses
3 years for core courses with monthly exams
1 year design, procurement, assembling and management processes with practicals
0.5 year should be allowed for the student to set up his/her engineering businesses under the tutor of assigned entrepreneurial lecturers

Medicine and surgery
4 years of first degree (either science or art)
4 years of medicine and surgery core courses

If you need more approaches or details, consult me.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 09, 2018
thoollz:
But you is this government always bent on frustrating the masses. What kind of minister is this? You are not saying anything about improving d institutions, curbing strikes, archaic lecturers, but instead u want to add to the time wasting. I wonder who advises these guys. Improve d educational sector and stop saying rubbish.

Someone that studied for 4 or 5 yrs, will extend his education for a year, please tell me what difference will it make? These people are just too dumb.
It is a suggestion. It would be better they are equipped than not having technical skills. Are you not tired of seeing job advert on 5 years experience?
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 09, 2018
HigherEd:
My own university, Covenant uni protested to NUC as regards NUCs mathematics curriculum(2007) being severely outdated and then decided to go with the 'new' 2014 curriculum created by NUC. Only to be told by NUC that the 2014 curriculum was just a recommendation and that CU must revert to 2007 just as every other Nigerian uni, which is outdated. Even the so called 2014 is outdated not to talk of 2007, yet govt wants industry relevant graduates.

Many private universities have queried a situation where a Computer Science student is compelled to take Physical Chemistry in 100 level while counterparts in the UK go straight to the point... I think its high time govt allows academic freedom and let each university determine its own path and stop this nonsense of creating a central curriculum.
If each university is given freedom, many will do worse. Many private universities might produce good results but the public counterpart will not

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 09, 2018
DonroxyII:

Mehn, See fast fingers every where oooo ...... we dey compete ni

Onto the matter sha,

It is not the number of years that one spend in school that matters but the quality of education we are receiving , as far as our lecturers keep using the same old and odd notes my uncles used during their own time , the quality of our education shall be old and outdated !!!

Only graduates who developed themselves out of the box shall thus become employable but if u stick to that modules in your school, you will remain dejected !!!

Immediately after I graduated from Unilorin , I served alongside some guys from University of Manchester ..... We were all commercial/social science students. I swear to God, when these guys were recanting their experience as undergraduate students and I compared with mine, I was world apart from them. Its exactly the same as difference between UK and Nigeria

What were they ranting?

I looked at myself and said, these are the calibres of guys I would be competing with in the Job market ....,

Nobody teaches me before I enter Google and YouTube and many Professional sites as well as other professionals to retrain myself beyond whatever my school has given me !!!

So, Professor Awukah abi wetin, A Nigerian Professor with such a proposal of extra years is suffering from Buharism

What we need is more practical and entrepreneurship ...... All science/engineering students should carry out more practicals thus , their laboratory should be world class while all social science/art/humanities and management students should go out there and do internship and report their experience back to their various department from 100L-400/500L

Exactly!

A political science student should intern with National/State House of Assembly members as well as other politicians instead using THUGs being P.A grin ......

You have a point here grin cheesy cheesy grin grin

I too sabi pass Anwukah sef grin
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by CioAngels(f): 8:09pm On May 09, 2018
Provided the lecturers will teach them rightly not given them marks after sex for not attending lectures/classes.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by Yankiss(m): 8:16pm On May 09, 2018
bentlywills:
4 years
5 years
6 years for some courses no do una na extra one year go make the students better than what the have been

What are the smoking over there in Abuja angry

Don't mind them. Take endless strikes join you will find out that they want to imprison our youths in the university forever while their children are overseas enjoying our money. There should be a new law to stop anyone with family or interests outside Nigeria from vying for public office, also for such a one to resign if in the course of service to our fatherland they send their family abroad. All these slowpoke policies will vanish. Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by KORLAR(m): 9:36pm On May 09, 2018
SammieJayh:

Yes, and will the special institutions be able to cater for the thousands of students that graduate yearly?

Don't mind them.

They're either dumb, selfish or both.
Re: Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies by mumexcellency(f): 9:39pm On May 09, 2018
Abeg Abeg. What rubbish! So you want to delay our youths again with an extra year, so that you can keep on holding to that position that is meant for the youths originally. See sense. So you want to waste their time stylishly and keep them out of job. God will not allow you. Wicked man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 UTME: JAMB Stops Use Of Cyber Cafes For Registration Of Candidates / Almajiri pupils taking Lessons on a drainage in Northern Nigeria(photo) / Gunmen Kidnap DELSU Students, Kill One (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.