Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,871 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:20 AM

Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG (42653 Views)

Hensard University Announces Policy On Installmental Payment Of Tuition / UNICAL Students Protest Hike Of Tuition Fees By 100% / Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by sirgalahad26(m): 5:37pm On May 09, 2018
i hope this law is duely implemented with immediate effect!!!
the way UNIBADAN is milking students dry is so alarming! Psamiel, Nltaliban, SyncAce, Diamondville, Towbaba500, Pes13, I think this has been breeding the strike action rumours!

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by BlackyOne(m): 5:50pm On May 09, 2018
Story, even though my school fees breakdown indicated that tuition is free, I still had to pay several fees running over 100k, so much for tuition is free!
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by thatigboman: 5:53pm On May 09, 2018
chuks34:
angry If only they will hear and keep to it
wount work. They will just write tuition - Nil, and then start charging exhorbitant fees for all manners of auxillary fees.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by thatigboman: 5:54pm On May 09, 2018
BlackyOne:
Story, even though my school fees breakdown indicated that tuition is free, I still had to pay several fees running over 100k, so much for tuition is free!
exactly. Naija universities are fraudstars

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Cmanforall: 5:56pm On May 09, 2018
So after collecting fees as University vice chancellor, he is now kicking against it as Okorocha's in-law? Let the same type of free education in Imo state be extended nationwide?
Please don't bury our education system that is already in ICU

quote author=Ecstasy154 post=67418850]The Federal Executive Council stated on Wednesday that no federal university should charge tuition fees, saying the law does not allow it.
The Minister of State for Education, Anthony Anwuka, stated this while briefing State House correspondents after the cabinet meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

The minister said the council discussed the school fees being charged by various universities "and noted that as of law, no federal university should charge tuition fees."
He also stated that the council understood that some federal universities charged fees per course unit,

The minister said the government would investigate and stop this.
Anwuka said the National Universities Commission had been directed to clarify and update the council on the matter.

He said: “We understand some universities now charge fees per course unit and we are going to make sure that we investigate that properly and make it stop.
"Students can pay other auxiliary fees, but not in excess. Various university councils and management should be able to fix what fees students should pay that is affordable and acceptable to the students. That is the position

"The federal government does not determine fees for private and state universities. It only takes responsibility for fees paid in the federal universities.”
The minister also disclosed that the council approved the insurance of provisional licence for the the establishment of Skyline University in Kano.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/fg-bars-federal-universities-from-charging-tuition-fees-249806.html
[/quote]
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by OGHENAOGIE(m): 6:06pm On May 09, 2018
It's high time we stop fooling ourselves in this country free education is scam without the workable arrangement for it... that's yy standard are abused here and there today We have lots of mushroom private secondary schools here and there without checks

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by lonelygem(m): 6:11pm On May 09, 2018
faithugo64:
angryayam not understanding
Am about to pay my tuition fee on Monday
Does it mean am not to pay anymore tongue?

If you know what is good for yourself, run like power bike and pay your fees oh. This government is nothing but set of jokers. Even the minister of education is working with target like bankers. The minister wll mount the podium tomorrow to declare generating additional billions of naira at the detriment of the masses and the same FG will applaud him with an award for extorting innocent Nigerians on account of Education...
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by martineverest(m): 6:23pm On May 09, 2018
faithugo64:
angryayam not understanding
Am about to pay my tuition fee on Monday
Does it mean am not to pay anymore tongue?
no try urself o

u no wan write exams be dat
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by freecocoa(f): 6:39pm On May 09, 2018
Oga anyhow you people like make una do, we no want again. This relationship is over.

But why do I still feel like Buhari will still be president come 2019? Could it be because they always rig elections?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by faithibe: 6:44pm On May 09, 2018
good move by federal govt
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by haywire07(m): 6:45pm On May 09, 2018
Shebi tuition fee is that one we call school fees. ?

They want to cancel it?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by pedrilo: 6:45pm On May 09, 2018
U Hav not said anytin sorry
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Bruemath(m): 6:47pm On May 09, 2018
are they serious?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Nltaliban(m): 7:09pm On May 09, 2018
sirgalahad26:
i hope this law is duely implemented with immediate effect!!!

the way UNIBADAN is milking students dry is so alarming!
Psam
Nlta
Sync
Diamo
Towbab
Pes
I think this has been breeding the strike action rumours!

No federal school is charging you for tuition.

You're only paying some developmental levy
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by justtoodark: 7:18pm On May 09, 2018
immhotep:

sai babarians just want free Arabic classes by fire by force grin grin

Cc salamrushdie lzaa pointzerom iceberg3 shalomc onyeoga madridguy buhariguy itsmeaboki

why are you mentioning me in such things....?...i dont care about Universities stuff...

what do they learn their....??...how to compete in bbn...

dont mention me no more in nonesense things..... angry angry

its pissing me off.....tell your sister to dont mention me either,,,,, angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by gbadekunle(m): 7:32pm On May 09, 2018
That is not the issue as they will simply rename it or add it to Development levy, Acceptance fee... They always have a way of putting it back just a change of nomenclature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by ultron12345: 7:48pm On May 09, 2018
docadams:
Seeing comments above make one wonders when the so called 'leaders of tomorrow' will take their destiny in their own hand. Here we have a government saying no more school fees and went further to clarify that such practice is alien to our laws. But what do we have, deliberate attempt to rubbish the move, some have even started providing different camouflage by which the school authorities can circumvent the directive. Na wa. In my time, students set the tune for the govt and school authorities. I started and ended my university education on a school fees of N120 and accommodation fee of N90. Aluta is obviously moribund.
you see how silly you are. So federal university's should start charging N120 and N90. Instead of us to be clamouring for increase in fees in order to increase quality of education, however, I'm not surprised, Nigerians prefer free but useless education to paid-for and world class education

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 09, 2018
maryjan8:
They will just change the name from tuition fee to something else.

How come me they are just realising it!

The name has never been tuition fees, look at the breakdown, most times you'd be seeing things like "development levy" "municipal charges" "ICT fees", etc, before you know it you'd be having 45k fees for a university that is supposedly tuition free, it's a big problem.

1 Like

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 09, 2018
ultron12345:
you see how silly you are. So federal university's should start charging N120 and N90. Instead of us to be clamouring for increase in fees in order to increase quality of education, however, I'm not surprised, Nigerians prefer free but useless education to paid-for and world class education

Do you know that there are countries that are tuition free not just for their citizens but also to foreigners? Google those countries, they provide the most quality education in the whole wide world!
If you understand the need for education, you'd know that education just like potable water supply, should be a basic human amenity.
Federal universities in Nigeria have been tuition free since their inception, why should our generation start paying fees? Instead of you to be advocating for return of merit based federal government scholarships for further education for deserving graduands, you're here going the reverse direction.
Perhaps you don't even know that the money students pay to federal universities all these years have been corruption money because there has never been anything like tuition fees for all federal institutions!
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Ekeseges(f): 8:05pm On May 09, 2018
Super story. It is better they charge tuition fee oo. because they say it is tuition fee but other charges in the school prospectus pass tuition.mtchewwwwww.Federal government has been deceiving us.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by ultron12345: 8:23pm On May 09, 2018
SnowJay92:

Do you know that there are countries that are tuition free not just for their citizens but also to foreigners? Google those countries, they provide the most quality education in the whole wide world!
If you understand the need for education, you'd know that education just like potable water supply, should be a basic human amenity.
Federal universities in Nigeria have been tuition free since their inception, why should our generation start paying fees? Instead of you to be advocating for return of merit based federal government scholarships for further education for deserving graduands, you're here going the reverse direction.
Perhaps you don't even know that the money students pay to federal universities all these years have been corruption money because there has never been anything like tuition fees for all federal institutions!
go and check the taxes citizens of those counties pay and compare with the peanut you pay as tax here. Countries over there have tax to GDP ratios of over 40% while Nigeria is at 4%. They pay very high tax rates, rates that if introduced here, people like you will insult the government saying they want to suffer the common man.

The reason for the rot in our education system is that is is heavily subsidized by the government, and the government doesn't have enough money to adequately fund them, so they give Nigerians what they want, dirt cheap and useless education. The government was able to adequately fund back then because we had just about 7 universities with about 50000 students. Compare that to the millions of students we have today. Quality education has to be paid for, either indirectly by high taxes, or directly by adequate tuitions. This is the same problem our health sector is facing, lack of adequate funding.

If there's no tuition for federal universities, it should start now. What you should be advocating for is that the tuition is used for the purpose for which it is meant.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Elouise: 8:32pm On May 09, 2018
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Iceberg3: 8:33pm On May 09, 2018
justtoodark:

why are you mentioning me in such things....?...i dont care about Universities stuff...

what do they learn their....??...how to compete in bbn...

dont mention me no more in nonesense things..... angry angry

its pissing me off.....tell your sister to dont mention me either,,,,, angry angry angry angry

Shaarraap!

Accept ipob and be free. grin
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Iceberg3: 8:38pm On May 09, 2018
Will they hear? Especially Unilag and that stuppid Uniben. angry
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by asksteve(m): 8:42pm On May 09, 2018
maryjan8:

That has already being done in some institutions, they call it "Development levy".
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Chymoxky(m): 8:44pm On May 09, 2018
We as a nation are good in making nice laws but our problem is in the implementation.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by obisco4u: 8:56pm On May 09, 2018
So this is why the mgt of Alex Ekwueme Federal University ndufu alike aka FUNAI bombard us which so much fees.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Chukazu: 9:02pm On May 09, 2018
Various university councils and management should be able to fix what fees students should pay that is affordable and acceptable to the students. That is the position.

Keep playing to the gallery

at the end who determines what is "affordable and acceptable, is it not the same Universities?
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by pennywys(m): 9:38pm On May 09, 2018
maryjan8:

University of Port Harcourt called a tuition fees of 45k nd approximately 200k for freshers school charges

That's how they still the name
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by Shalomc(f): 9:44pm On May 09, 2018
immhotep:

sai babarians just want free Arabic classes by fire by force grin grin

Cc salamrushdie lzaa pointzerom iceberg3 shalomc onyeoga madridguy buhariguy itsmeaboki
Justtoodark an ambition.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by docadams: 10:10pm On May 09, 2018
ultron12345:

We call your type back then Zuwo -the worstt idiotic being on earth.
Re: Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG by dhestiney(m): 10:16pm On May 09, 2018
clefstone:
UNIBEN was still tuition free as at 2008
very true, but i paid 73,400 as my first semester school fees in early January in uniben this year . Tuition fee or no tuition fee, it won't change much, the school management will just simply give it another name, e.g development fee etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘shameless’ Slay Queen Shows Off How She Defeated Her Lecturers During Exams / Kogi State University 2016/2017 Admission Thread / Teacher Recounts His Seduction Experience In Female Secondary School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.