Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,934 members, 7,803,062 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 08:28 AM

10 Nights in Dubai - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Nights in Dubai (77208 Views)

Three Nights In Paris! / Where Could These Be In Lagos at Nights? / Two Men Pay To Spend Two Nights In Prison Just To Have The Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by samee72(f): 1:27pm On May 20, 2018
Sapphire86:

To me, it wasn't just worth the hype... over sold but under delivered. There was nothing out of the blues order than iPad controlled room.

I pray whatever it is that makes you frequent the hospital will vanish suddenly oooo.

Amen, thanks dear

7 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Lucasbalo(m): 2:15pm On May 20, 2018
chicoMX:
Following

Although I have never left the shores of this country, but I think giving #200 to the second officer could have saved you a lot of stress. Judging from the fact that you were stuck in traffic and angry with uber driver.
She did the right thing. It's bribing public officials that makes the situation worse. Been to Nigeria several times for business and seeing my parents and never bribed any one in my time in Nigeria. The problem of Nigeria is corruption and If it's not curbed, it will send Nigeria to the grave.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Trenton: 9:08pm On May 20, 2018
Lucasbalo:
She did the right thing. It's bribing public officials that makes the situation worse. Been to Nigeria several times for business and seeing my parents and never bribed any one in my time in Nigeria. The problem of Nigeria is corruption and If it's not curbed, it will send Nigeria to the grave.

we are in the grave already

6 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Lucasbalo(m): 6:41pm On May 21, 2018
Trenton:

we are in the grave already
Hopefully things will turn around for Nigeria. I don't even live in Nigeria but i am more optimistic about Nigeria than a lot of you guys.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by SkinnyNigga: 7:26pm On May 21, 2018
Do they have olosho there??
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 21, 2018
Lucasbalo:
Hopefully things will turn around for Nigeria. I don't even live in Nigeria but i am more optimistic about Nigeria than a lot of you guys.

That explains your optimism. Come back to Nigeria and live then try being optimistic again.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Agbaletu: 7:52pm On May 21, 2018
NewBea:

That explains your optimism. Come back to Nigeria and live then try being optimistic again.
lol

4 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by DisGuy: 8:07pm On May 21, 2018
Very interesting...wish there's more touristy reviews and pics but seems shopping is the number 1 priority for most Nigerian tourist especially females cheesy

Lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 9:44pm On May 21, 2018
DisGuy:
Very interesting...wish there's more touristy reviews and pics but seems shopping is the number 1 priority for most Nigerian tourist especially females cheesy

Lalasticlala

I don't get it,are you not a mod? Is pushing stuff to fp only 'doable' by lala?

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Lucasbalo(m): 10:20pm On May 21, 2018
NewBea:

You are absolutely right but i am very used to Nigeria because my parents retired to Nigeria many years ago and i make it my point of duty to see them as many times as I can and i visit Nigeria at least twice or thrice yearly for my parents and business. There's no utopian country in the world because I can give you many reasons not to be optimistic about America even though I grew up in US. The bottom line is we have to keep the pressure on our political leaderships to right the wrongs.

14 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by afos002: 10:50pm On May 21, 2018
Sapphire86:
I woke up that certain Wednesday feeling ‘oh, the day has finally come’. I was still running up and down doing last minute packing, attending to a dozen issues while trying to remember a dozen more still undone. I am not one for last minute rush, but this time was different – delays here and there with the visa and ticket both finally coming through less than 48 hours before departure.

I called for an Uber (while silently praying for safe arrival to the airport because I have been hearing stories about Uber & Taxify drivers lately) and 30 minutes later (even though the app said 11 mins) I was on my way to the airport. Traffic was terrible; this was the first journey-to-the-airport traffic I have ever experienced, and it got to a point that I was like ‘ah, ah, have my village people followed me to the airport?’ Finally, we reach the airport though I was a bit pissed with the Uber driver because 1., he deliberately took a longer route with traffic when we started the journey (maybe he wanted my trip fare to be deliberately high) and 2., he didn’t know any shortcuts! We were just stuck in traffic; one thing about commercial bus drivers is that they would always find another way when they sight traffic ahead except if there is truly no way out. But this Uber driver just sat there because even if we got to the airport 3 hours later, it really wasn’t his concern!

Got to the airport an hour plus later and then it hit me that I was back at the Nigerian Airport! First, it was the policemen unnecessarily hailing me before I realized that they wanted me to part with money; then it was unknown personality who came, held my bag & ‘offered’ to help me carry it. I’m like ‘emm, no, thank you’ and in my mind, I’m like ‘my hands don’t look broken; I ain’t parting with no naira, dollar or even cent’. I thought ‘oh, the harassment has ended’ forgetting that I was STILL at the Nigerian airport.

I did my check-in and made my way to immigration and it was there I was reminded that I was still in Nigeria. First immigration officer was nice but wanted a tip and in my mind I’m like ‘why should I give you money because I am travelling; don’t you know how much dollar is?’ The second immigration officer was where the issue was. He checks my passport because it’s a new passport and sees no stamp, immediately starts harassing me (it was a new passport but not my first time travelling). Then he goes ‘let me just stamp for you because if I send you down there, they will harass you, but you MUST give me something’. Now, the difference between the first & second immigration officer was that the first asked nicely for a tip, this one flat out demanded a BRIBE. Is there a law that says new passport holders cannot travel? How will the passport stop being new if it is not used in travelling out? Well, since I didn’t ‘tip’ the first officer though he asked nicely, I refused to BRIBE him. True to his word, he sent me and my passport down to the association-of-immigration-officers corner thinking he has dealt with me. The lady he sent my passport to asked me for my visa, checked with my passport, asked for my travel allowance and when she saw I was legit, she gave me my passport and asked me to go and get stamped. As I left, my eyes and that of the second immigration officer met and he could see my victory stare and smile.

.... to be continued
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:50pm On May 21, 2018
DUBAI: A BEAUTIFUL to be.

I thank God for the experience!
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 10:50pm On May 21, 2018
WTF.. Nigeria is better than Dubai sad

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Haryoureendey4(m): 11:00pm On May 21, 2018
Already gotten to front page lol
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by TheKingIsHere: 11:02pm On May 21, 2018
chicoMX:
Following

Although I have never left the shores of this country, but I think giving #200 to the second officer could have saved you a lot of stress. Judging from the fact that you were stuck in traffic and angry with uber driver.

People like you are the reason why corruption abounds in this country.

Kudos to the OP

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 21, 2018
Dubai is very fun.

Can't get tired of holidaying there.

Was there for 2 weeks in March with my family, our 4th holiday there in 5 years.

Stay in Bur Dubai (except the last time where we used Oud Metha).

I enjoy Dubai but my family have gotten tired of it.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by kstyle2(m): 11:08pm On May 21, 2018
This country has a long way to go. The same oil they have is what we have in our country yet the best we can boast of is shoe polish kit, wheelbarrow, hoes and keke as means of empowerment. I used to be optimistic about things getting better but when you realise that people will still canvass for the likes of okorocha, yahaya bello, dino, fayose, okowa, Dickson, buhari etc, you begin to have doubts

10 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:09pm On May 21, 2018
peacengine:

Easy bro, this is Africa not West. N200 will not kill her or saying she doesn't have money will not make her miss flight. It's wrong of him to ask, but na their way. Fill complaint form and submit, things will change one day. One day we will become better than Western countries
You Sir is a big fool.. can you even listen to yourself.. things will change one day and it must start from one person. Why should she give the man a bribe. You people are the problem with this country

12 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Ojuororun(m): 11:11pm On May 21, 2018
chukxie:

This is Nigeria! Not "this is Africa..." Corruption is prevalent in almost every sector of the economy in Nigeria. The way the police, custom, immigration, NDLEA officers at the Lagos Airport demand for money from travelers is shameful.
they call them, fine bara,or fine beggers....these set of idiots beg in a copperate way..can you imagine.grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by muyiwa22(m): 11:11pm On May 21, 2018
A du or etisalat is just 10AED
chicoMX:

It seems all the malls in Dubai are always on sales, a gentleman's way to steal money from people. How did you come about your conversion rates (it's less than $50)?
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Phut(f): 11:17pm On May 21, 2018
chicoMX:
Following

OMG! Mentalities like yours (just give them #200) abound in Nigeria. That is why things such as taking vacations remain out of the reach of the average Nigerian.

Nigerians shout all day everyday about their leaders being corrupt. Yet most Nigerians are corrupt. Maybe if we all tried in our little way, to be honest in our daily dealings, Nigeria would be a better place. Be the change that you want to see. After all, little drops of water make an ocean.

Finally, the Ploiticians were once common men like you and I. They were not honest in the small things, and hence lack the ability to be honest in the big things.

#Chegharia!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Phut(f): 11:18pm On May 21, 2018
chukxie:

Why should he or any traveler for that matter tip immigration, custom officers or officers of any other agencies at the airport? Nigeria is terribly messed up because acts that would land people in other countries in jail are seen as normal here.

Gbam! Nigerians are their own biggest, problem.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Phut(f): 11:20pm On May 21, 2018
chukxie:

Good thing you know how messed up things are in Nigeria. That's the more reason we ( ordinary citizens) should refrain from joining party with the people who are messing things up.

Exactly! Nigerians need to chegharia!
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Pentools(m): 11:27pm On May 21, 2018
Sapphire86:
I woke up that certain Wednesday feeling ‘oh, the day has finally come’. I was still running up and down doing last minute packing, attending to a dozen issues while trying to remember a dozen more still undone. I am not one for last minute rush, but this time was different – delays here and there with the visa and ticket both finally coming through less than 48 hours before departure.

I called for an Uber (while silently praying for safe arrival to the airport because I have been hearing stories about Uber & Taxify drivers lately) and 30 minutes later (even though the app said 11 mins) I was on my way to the airport. Traffic was terrible; this was the first journey-to-the-airport traffic I have ever experienced, and it got to a point that I was like ‘ah, ah, have my village people followed me to the airport?’ Finally, we reach the airport though I was a bit pissed with the Uber driver because 1., he deliberately took a longer route with traffic when we started the journey (maybe he wanted my trip fare to be deliberately high) and 2., he didn’t know any shortcuts! We were just stuck in traffic; one thing about commercial bus drivers is that they would always find another way when they sight traffic ahead except if there is truly no way out. But this Uber driver just sat there because even if we got to the airport 3 hours later, it really wasn’t his concern!

Got to the airport an hour plus later and then it hit me that I was back at the Nigerian Airport! First, it was the policemen unnecessarily hailing me before I realized that they wanted me to part with money; then it was unknown personality who came, held my bag & ‘offered’ to help me carry it. I’m like ‘emm, no, thank you’ and in my mind, I’m like ‘my hands don’t look broken; I ain’t parting with no naira, dollar or even cent’. I thought ‘oh, the harassment has ended’ forgetting that I was STILL at the Nigerian airport.

I did my check-in and made my way to immigration and it was there I was reminded that I was still in Nigeria. First immigration officer was nice but wanted a tip and in my mind I’m like ‘why should I give you money because I am travelling; don’t you know how much dollar is?’ The second immigration officer was where the issue was. He checks my passport because it’s a new passport and sees no stamp, immediately starts harassing me (it was a new passport but not my first time travelling). Then he goes ‘let me just stamp for you because if I send you down there, they will harass you, but you MUST give me something’. Now, the difference between the first & second immigration officer was that the first asked nicely for a tip, this one flat out demanded a BRIBE. Is there a law that says new passport holders cannot travel? How will the passport stop being new if it is not used in travelling out? Well, since I didn’t ‘tip’ the first officer though he asked nicely, I refused to BRIBE him. True to his word, he sent me and my passport down to the association-of-immigration-officers corner thinking he has dealt with me. The lady he sent my passport to asked me for my visa, checked with my passport, asked for my travel allowance and when she saw I was legit, she gave me my passport and asked me to go and get stamped. As I left, my eyes and that of the second immigration officer met and he could see my victory stare and smile.

.... to be continued

Nice one OP, I like the way you handled the immigration officers had similar experience on my very first trip to the US which was literally my first time leaving Nigeria.
I will hopefully make a thread someday regarding how Nigerians are being scammed by immigration officers mostly when they see your passport is a virgin one.

Those guys nearly use me do yeye seeing my passport was a virgin passport, mehn crazy enough I caused a nasty scene there, one even threatened to delay me n make sure I miss my flight, that was when all hell broke lose, I started screaming untop of my voice with my cell phone out like I'm recording but I really wasn't.

However I've come to understand something about this people they don't need a mild approach, if u do ajibo for them then get ready to exhaust all ur cash on tips.
Very useless set of people, we are complaining about NPF n SARS but airport security own na worst. Annoying enough when I came back n called the attention of the airport CSO through my legal team, the old fool claimed he doesn't know about his men's extortion to travelers, very hectic experience.

15 Likes

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by deliveryboy: 11:28pm On May 21, 2018
I'm planning a few days vacation to Dubai soon on my own. I've been there twice on company expense and didn't really feel the cost. What's the range of a nice budget hotel say in Deira?
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Yesbody: 11:35pm On May 21, 2018
Sapphire86:
I thought the immigration at the airport had undergone reformation some years back, but I guess they are now back to their ‘business as usual’ mode of operation. Only in Nigerian airport do immigration officers harass Nigerians and ask for tip/bribe. In the few countries I have been to, not one immigration officer has ever asked for money not even those in other African countries. Clearly, it is a Nigerian thing!

Honestly, my opinion of workers (both immigration officers & airline staff) at the airport is that they probably are angry or jealous when they see fellow Nigerians escaping sorry leaving the country. I stand to be corrected but that’s how I feel. Now, I know that Nigerians are angry naturally – angry at their choice of a president, angry prices are skyrocketing but salary is stagnant or even nose-diving, angry at traffic, angry at the economy, you name it! We are angry! But they are polite to foreigners and even celebrities, but they will just be squeezing face and acting drama for regular folks. I don’t have time for their drama, I simply just have a discussion (long or short) with their Maker (God).

Finally, I board my Emirates flight to DXB and issa breeze. The cabin crew were nice and white (lol) I wonder why no African heck even Nigerian was on board; maybe they are on American route grin grin grin. Usually, my observation of cabin crew ladies was that they were HOTTTT and YOUNG. Now, these crew members were not ugly, but you could see that they were veterans in the game. Where were all the young and short-skirted ladies? Maybe they are still in Emirates Aviation Academy! I am not gay or bi but it always amused me how those young cabin crew would strut around the plane attending to passengers, very eager to please. Or maybe they were assigned to the first and business class cabins (oh Lord, bless me na), only time would tell. I always observe the uniform of the cabin crew of airlines and I must say Emirates does it for me. Their uniform from their head to their shoes with their bright red lipstick is always on point. Heck, their uniform makes me want to be part of the Emirates crew but then I know that I would eventually roll my eyes at some passengers so why start something only to get written up?

Flight EK 782 to DXB was great; the cabin crew served and served from an hour after take-off till 30 minutes before landing but Business & First class was from sitting down to 30 minutes before landing (oh Lord, I need an upgrade). It was really flowing; Pepsi to red wine, juice to champagne; food to biscuits. The aroma of the food woke me (yes, it was that strong and that nice)! I ate with a ‘last supper’ appetite while still applying decorum (of course). The entertainment was on point; though was a bit disappointed because Wedding Party 2 ‘narrowly missed’ the list of movies shown; I thought the movie cost would be taken from my flight ticket (pleaseee, I had heard about the mixed reviews and I was not about to waste 2.5k for that could-be disappointment). I guess the reviews must be correct if the movie hype didn’t last long the way the first one did!

Landed in DXB; journey was smooth, but the landing was smoother. It was my 2nd time at the Dubai Airport and things had certainly changed! The airport was like a beautiful 5-star hotel; I am not exaggerating or acting like someone straight out of the village but if you know how the airport of my birth country looks like, you will appreciate the beauty and grandeur of the Dubai International Airport. It is beautiful, elegant, classy and looks like Arab money on a mission. The immigration officers were polite but not friendly (at least the one who checked me in wasn’t but since I wasn’t stressed, why should I care? He’s done his job, now it’s my turn to do mine which is turn up). Changing money at the airport was just an unavoidable evil – expensive but necessary; the beauty was that I wasn’t changing ALL at the airport (I know their tricks & tariffs so I wasn’t falling for it). This is where I give credit to O.R. Tambo Airport Johannesburg, their rates were much friendlier. The lady the Travelex booth in Dubai Airport was like ‘oh, why not change $200? If you don’t finish spending it, you can change it back at the same rate when you come back’. In my mind I was like ‘I wasn’t sent to come and guarantee your May salary after charging 15 AED for $100’. It’s very hard to bring Dirham back to the airport because Dubai has everything that will enable you spend and even spend on credit. This wasn’t my first time in Dubai so let nobody come and give me fairy tales.

.... to be continued. Thanks to everyone reading and following

what was Ur mission in Dubai
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 21, 2018
Sapphire86:

Let's digress a bit and talk about the malls in Dubai. So the biggest mall is obviously the Dubai Mall; next is the Mall of Emirates (MOE), followed by the Deira City Centre and then you have the Mirdif City Center and last Al Ghurair City Centre. Al Ghurair is the smallest mall in Dubai but it's about 5 or times the size of Ikeja City Mall. It is one of the oldest malls but it is more beautiful than Dunes Abuja or even Jabi Lake Mall. It is huge and beautiful.

Al Ghurair mall is home to Swissotel Al Ghurair, it is a 5 star hotel - beautiful and of course expensive. What it means is that you can from the hotel connect to the mall and as of today, the mall has 5 entrances/exits.

Contrary to what i thought some days back that the food stores were centered around the food court area, yea it is true but what i didn't know was that there are food courts on every floor of the mall and today i went to all floors. The last floor had KFC, Italian Pizza, Wendy's (American franchise) Mc Donald's and many, many more. It was organized and peaceful. Nobody was harassing anybody 'please these chairs belong to KFC only) like they do in Nigeria. I had lunch today at Mc Donald's so dinner will be somewhere else.

vZ

*sorry for the picture angle, it will get better.
P.S. if you enjoy the story, comments and or like.
thank for the info I really enjoy the story, pls how much is the flight ticket to Dubai, and processing fee want to go for vacation soon but will like an estimate. pls
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Pentools(m): 11:35pm On May 21, 2018
Sapphire86:

.... to be continued

Nice one OP, I like the way you handled the immigration officers had similar experience on my very first trip to the US which was literally my first time leaving Nigeria.
Hopefully i will still make a thread someday regarding how Nigerians are being scammed inside our int'l airports by immigration officers mostly when they see your passport is a virgin one.

Those guys nearly use me do yeye seeing my passport was a virgin passport, mehn crazy enough I caused a nasty scene there, one even threatened to delay me n make sure I miss my flight, that was when all hell broke lose, I started screaming untop of my voice with my cell phone out like I'm recording but I really wasn't. My last visit to the US mid last year I was gonna travel with my parents, and my mum had a virgin passport but the kind frown I give those officers, they no see face ask for a dime.

However I've come to understand something about this people they don't need mild approach, if u do ajibo for them then get ready to exhaust all ur cash on tips.
Very useless set of people, we are complaining about NPF n SARS but airport security own are worst. Annoying enough when I came back n called the attention of the airport CSO through my legal team, the old fool claimed he doesn't know about his men's extortion to travelers, very hectic experience.

1 Like

Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:40pm On May 21, 2018
Story for the gods, Abeg the story too long.
grin

grin
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 11:59pm On May 21, 2018
Oluwa bless my hustle.
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by CoolFreeday(m): 12:06am On May 22, 2018
you're one hell of a writer, beautiful piece.
Re: 10 Nights in Dubai by Nobody: 12:09am On May 22, 2018
CoolFreeday:
you're one hell of a writer, beautiful piece.
when am done schooling, i would visit liverpool in England...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Man Who Climbed Azman Aircraft At Lagos Airport Is From Niger Republic - FAAN / Inside Canada Ice Hotel With 15 Suites, Bar And Wedding Chapel(Pics) / Peace Mass Transit In Accident At Okogbo Town. No Survivors (graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.