Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,535 members, 7,770,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:17 AM

What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? (3361 Views)

Meaning Of The Five Lines On A Palm / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Magnoliaa(f): 2:05pm On May 12, 2018
.... came across it in ‘Women of Owu’ by Femi Osofisan. It's a pretty name and I want to know what it means.

Modified after years: grin

Asking also because I was going to use it for a character's name. I choose it finally, and came up with
: Ademisola Iyunloye Ilori.

Pretty unique (I think) lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Africaman: 2:32pm On May 12, 2018
Magnoliaa:
.... came across it in ‘Women of Owu’ by Femi Osofisan. It's a pretty name and I want to know what it means.
Hi,

Breaking it down, 'Iyunloye' means:

Iyun = A type of beads in Yorubaland
ni = is
Oye = Chieftaincy

Thus, 'Iyun beads are as valuable/worthy as a chieftaincy title'.

This is similar to the name 'Segilola', where 'Segi' is another type of Yoruba beads,

Segi = Another type of beads in Yorubaland.
ni = is
Ola = Wealth

That name means 'Segi beads are wealth'.

Hope this helps.

ciao

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Magnoliaa(f): 3:40pm On May 12, 2018
Africaman:
Hi,

ni = is
Oye = Chieftaincy

This is similar to the name 'Segilola', where 'Segi' is another type of Yoruba beads,

ni = is
Ola = Wealth

Hope this helps.

ciao

wow. Thanks cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Emilokoiyawon: 3:15am On May 13, 2018
cool
Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by scholes0(m): 4:41am On May 13, 2018
Africaman:
Hi,

ni = is
Oye = Chieftaincy

ni = is
Ola = Wealth

Hope this helps.

ciao

Nice one.

Ola is not really just "wealth" in Yoruba though.

Wealth is just a very simplistic translation of Ola... which is more in the line of "Glory"

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Africaman: 2:13pm On May 15, 2018
Magnoliaa:

wow. Thanks cheesy
You're Welcome.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Africaman: 2:14pm On May 15, 2018
scholes0:

Nice one.

Wealth is just a very simplistic translation of Ola... which is more in the line of "Glory"
Cheers... wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by ElsonMorali: 7:05pm On Jun 06, 2018
scholes0:

Nice one.

Wrong. Glory is ogo in Yoruba.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by jara: 7:18pm On Aug 03, 2018
He is right, Ola means glory.

You have to be careful with Ogo. It has both positive and negative meanings: Olorun make ki a ri Ogo can be negative. But Ogo means more or less iyannu, that is miracle.

ElsonMorali:

Wrong. Glory is ogo in Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Olu317(m): 8:52pm On Aug 03, 2018
jara:
He is right, Ola means glory.

You have to be careful with Ogo. It has both positive and negative meanings: Olorun make ki a ri Ogo can be negative. But Ogo means more or less iyannu, that is miracle.

Nah....òlà is neither wealth nor glory but rich(es)/affluent, success,breakforth. Wealth in Yoruba is ‘òrò' . And îyànù is ‘wonder' .The word is a combination of four words that's compressed(contraction)into one : ìyà nì lé nù(surprise-wonder). Although It is also used for ‘miracle'.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by jara: 3:51am On Aug 04, 2018
I am surprised that you are also caught up in translating OLA as riches or affluence. This is today's translation since we are in material age.

OLA can have wealth as a factor but not a major or important part. Many people had OLA bestowed on them that are not rich.

When Olola Obafemi Awolowo became prominent, he was not rich. The same with many people from decent home without riches.

Mind you many men of valor were not necessarily rich.

Olu317:
Nah....òlà is neither wealth nor glory but rich(es)/affluent. Wealth in Yoruba is ‘òrò' . And îyànù is ‘wonder' .The word is a combination of four words that's compressed(contraction)into one : ìyà nì lé nù(surprise-wonder). Although It is also used for ‘miracle'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Olu317(m): 4:39am On Aug 04, 2018
jara:
I am surprised that you are also caught up in translating OLA as riches or affluence. This is today's translation since we are in material age.

OLA can have wealth as a factor but not a major or important part. Many people had OLA bestowed on them that are not rich.

When Olola Obafemi Awolowo became prominent, he was not rich. The same with many people from decent home without riches.

Mind you many men of valor were not necessarily rich.

I am not doubtful about such factor that òlà has a connection to ‘wealth,' although more closely related to riches or affluent and not the way Yorubas try to interpret òrò in the ancient times. The Yoruba language is extremely deep and at times, English translation may not really connect to the real meaning of Yoruba words. Forum as this, is where we share our knowledge based on research to showcase Yoruba history . I strongly believe, we are all students of history. You see, NL has not helped Yoruba history as such with a lot of misinterpretation or misinformation on Yoruba names etc by people who have faint knowledge on this Race .Honestly, in the ancient, certain names are restricted to some families even in their panegyrics. This was how serious, it was. Let me infer on two more words at this moment with the same three letters. Apart from,òlà which is rich.Òlá is tomorrow. Olà(o là) is he/she pierce,to cut through ,divide through etc. Òlòlà is honour or nobility. Òlòlà is borne because of noble birth, given as a nickname, someone who did great exploit, given as a name based on birth which may not be connected to child's family but on IFA dictates etc. Awolowo's surname is a pointer to his ancestors. ìlè là mà un(ù) wo kì à to sò'mò lorùkò.
Some Yorubas like Daniel Ayodele Adeniran and Dr. Kunle Johnson and others have written about these names or surnames. If you consult some Yoruba dictionary,you will not even find some words used daily in our Yoruba dialects,which have done some harm to our Yoruba language's continuum. Literary translation has always been a big problem for us all. Yoruba names carry in them deeper meaning than the way ,many of us see them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by jara: 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2018
Olu317,

I agree with you that it is difficult to translate one language to another. I think you gave a wider meaning of OLA which is the point I was trying to make.

But to reduce that name to riches only reflects today's obsession with riches or affluence.

We had rich men without OLA and many with it. So I feel glory as in the name Gloria, reputation and noble background is closer to OLA than riches.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Olu317(m): 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2018
jara:
Olu317,

I agree with you that it is difficult to translate one language to another. I think you gave a wider meaning of OLA which is the point I was trying to make.

But to reduce that name to riches only reflects today's obsession with riches or affluence.

We had rich men without OLA and many with it. So I feel glory as in the name Gloria, reputation and noble background is closer to OLA than riches.
I agree with you totally on the closer meaning of òlà to noble than riches.

Cheers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by armygoes: 4:51pm On Oct 13, 2018
[quote author=Magnoliaa post=67498053].... came across it in ‘Women of Owu’ by Femi Osofisan. It's a pretty name and I want to know what it means. [/quote.
I am sorry i am going completely off point, i sent you a dm(go**s**tu*z@gmail.com).it's nothing spectacular though,just wanted to connect with you.Take care
Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by armygoes: 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2018
Magnoliaa:
Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by adexpa(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
Africaman:
Hi,

ni = is
Oye = Chieftaincy

ni = is
Ola = Wealth

Hope this helps.

ciao

Good day sir, I commend ur work on the translation, but I stand to be corrected,

Iyun is not a type of BEAD, Iyun is bead in Yoruba land.
iyunloye means bead is chieftaincy. they are trying to say with beads you identify chiefs. not just anybody wears bead in yoruba land in those days

On the issue of Ola; Ola, oro, Ogo, asiki are all synonymous to wealth in Yoruba land And it does not mean having money but properties and influence

When we are to talk of rich..... Olowo, when some one is well to do, he is called OLOWO
Olowo ati Oloro are commonly use for the rich n the wealthy, there more yoruba words for wealthy which are oro,ola,ogo, asiki......

Iyunola is from the full name iyunlola that is bead is wealth. They identify wealthy people with bead in those days because they easily give them titles n title always come with bead.

I stand to be corrected

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of The Name ‘Iyunloye’? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:38am On Mar 29, 2020
adexpa:

Good day sir, I commend ur work on the translation, but I stand to be corrected,

Iyun is not a type of BEAD, Iyun is bead in Yoruba land.
iyunloye means bead is chieftaincy. they are trying to say with beads you identify chiefs. not just anybody wears bead in yoruba land in those days

On the issue of Ola; Ola, oro, Ogo, asiki are all synonymous to wealth in Yoruba land And it does not mean having money but properties and influence

When we are to talk of rich..... Olowo, when some one is well to do, he is called OLOWO
Olowo ati Oloro are commonly use for the rich n the wealthy, there more yoruba words for wealthy which are oro,ola,ogo, asiki......

Iyunola is from the full name iyunlola that is bead is wealth. They identify wealthy people with bead in those days because they easily give them titles n title always come with bead.

I stand to be corrected

Hm...

Another explanation/perspective.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is More Hard Working? African Or Western Women / Most Populous Language In Nigeria apart from pigin and english / Kegite. Karid Entity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.