Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Learn How To Find Out What Google Knows About You And Limit The Data It Collects - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Learn How To Find Out What Google Knows About You And Limit The Data It Collects (458 Views)

Manatee: This Creature Was Killed In Badagry Yesterday. Who Knows The Name? / This Is How Much Google Knows You / How To Find What Google Knows About You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Find Out What Google Knows About You And Limit The Data It Collects by MICIBAMA(m): 11:53pm On May 12, 2018
Here's an article on how you can hover on google and know everything it knows about you. Google knows a lot more about you than you probably think it does.

If you use its products, such as Gmail, Google Search or even an Android phone, the company is collecting your data to make its services better for end users.

http://techusnaija..com.ng/2018/05/Google-data-collection-limit.html

It's not hiding that it knows this -- a quick peek at its privacy policy makes it crystal clear that Google knows this information -- but it might be surprised just how much it knows.

As a quick sampler, while I worked on this guide, I discovered Google knows the following about me:
- My name, gender and birthdate
- My personal cell phone numbers
- My recent Google searches
- The websites I've visited
- That I turned on my bedroom lights last night
- Exactly where I've been over the past several years
- That I like American football, games, jazz, audio equipment, my favorite food & drink and more.
- Where I work
- Where I live
- The YouTube videos I've watched and my YouTube searches
- Every time I've used my voice to interact with Google Assistant (complete with recordings of my voice.)

Tap the links in each topic below to get a direct link to the proper spot to learn about what Google knows about you. Also follow the links I've provided to help you limit what Google is tracking, in case you don't want it storing that information.

Find out what ad topics Google thinks you're most interested in
First, make sure you're logged into your Google Account and then tap this link to Manage Ads Settings, which shows exactly what topics Google thinks you like.

You'll see a picture similar to the one above. Scroll down the page and you'll see your gender, age and ads you've blocked. How to limit this information: On the top of the Manage Ads Settings Page, toggle the button to turn off "Ads Personalization."

Find out where Google knows you've been
Google's Location History page shows a complete guide to everywhere you've been, in addition to your home and work, which you may have saved in Google Maps. It knows almost everywhere I've been since 2010. The map above shows a detailed look at the places Google knows I've visited. How to limit this information: On the bottom of the "Location History Page" tap "Pause Location History."

See your Google Activity
Google stores data on the voice actions you've requested from Google Assistant, whether on a smartphone or Google Home, as well as the sites you visited. Here you can see it tracked me asking a Google Home to turn off the living room lights (complete with an audio recording) and that I visited the Apple Care website.

Visit the Google My Activity page to see your own history. How to limit this information: Visit the Google Web & Activity Page and click "manage activity." To limit what Google stores.

http://techusnaija..com.ng/2018/05/Google-data-collection-limit.html

(1) (Reply)

⚡Solar Panels And Batteries In Nigeria - Special Dealer Clearances Only 1 Week⚡ / Africa's 1st Passenger Carrying Drone / Best Network Traffic Monitoring Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.