Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng (701 Views)

Ban Tomato Importation - Dangote Tomato MD Tells FG / Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / Tomato Factory: Dangote, Kubau Communities To Resolve Land Dispute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by Opinionated: 3:14pm On May 14, 2018
We recently published an article written by Aroms Aigbehi on how Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote who ultimately controls what happens in the Dangote Group invested in a tomato company in Kano but has had to close it for now. The article generated a lot of online debate with some observers questioning the validity of Mr Aigbehi's submissions.

However, further research by our team supports Mr. Aigbehi's submissions.

Our Findings

Nascon Allied Industries, a subsidiary of Dangote Industry Limited, producer of Dangote salt and DanQ seasoning, recorded strong performance in 2017.

Nascon recorded impressive turnover of N27.06 billion, profit after tax improved by 121% from N2.42 billion in 2016 to N5.34 billion. An expanded fleet operation with the addition of 98 new trucks contributed over N3bn to revenue. Through intense focus, accelerated productivity, and operational discipline, it maintained financial stability with healthy cash reserves of N9.4 billon.

Its core salt business remains the major revenue driver, while its DanQ seasoning brand has just one percent market share. However, the tomato paste segment is still experiencing drawbacks, and unable to find a foothold in the highly competitive fast-moving-consumer­-goods market, as the Triple Tomato Concentrate required to make tomato paste remain on the restricted list of the Federal Government.

Local suppliers of tomatoes are unable to meet the required quantity to run the plant efficiently, because locally grown tomatoes contain too much water, unfit to make quality tomato paste.

But as part of its backward integration policy, in 2018 the company plans to mitigate counter-party risks, to ensure quality control, and to optimize route-to-market efficiency.

Our Conclusion

The summary is that Dangote built a factory without guaranteeing his source of raw materials. This is a classic case of how not to conduct a business. This does not take anything away from his achievements as Africa's richest man and probably largest single employer. It is also interesting to note that the company is now trying to rectify the anomaly. It just goes to show how complex business is to the extent that even successful people make big mistakes.

Source: Aroms was Right, Dangote Goofed on his Closed Tomato Factory

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by Opinionated: 3:16pm On May 14, 2018
See original thread and debate here https://www.nairaland.com/4500631/why-dangote-closed-tomato-factory

Some people were right, others were wrong. Can you tell who was wrong or right?
Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 14, 2018
I think this is the second time I am seeing this article, the reality is that Nigeria and the entire West Africa is a good market for tomato paste.The truth is that Government is not incitifying farmers neither is it putting the require policy in place to stop imports from China.The truth is the supply of tomatoes is part of the supply chain mechanism that go wrong.I believe proper feasibility study was done,but what happens in the field is always different. It is better to close shop and cut your lose than continue to be acquiring debts.Although I believe I know how to turn things around,if my consultation is required Alhaji knows how to get me.
Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by Opinionated: 3:36pm On May 14, 2018
uruba23:
I think this is the second time I am seeing this article, the reality is that Nigeria and the entire West Africa is a good market for tomato paste.The truth is that Government is not incitifying farmers neither is it putting the require policy in place to stop imports from China.The truth is the supply of tomatoes is part of the supply chain mechanism that go wrong.I believe proper visibility study was done,but what happens in the field is always different. It is better to close shop and cut your lose than continue to be acquiring debts.Although I believe I know how to turn things around,if my consultation is required Alhaji knows how to get me.

Really?
Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 14, 2018
Opinionated:

Really?
Yes I am is unofficial junior honorary adviser a position i gave myself lol,good thing Senior Honorary adviser is now a CEO
Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by hisgrace090: 4:49pm On May 14, 2018
That Nigerian tomatoe was watery and unfit for tomatoes pste.

In fact what we need is total overhaul of the system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Tomato Factory Closure: Aroms Was Right - Opinions.ng by maclatunji: 12:21pm On May 15, 2018
hisgrace090:
That Nigerian tomatoe was watery and unfit for tomatoes pste.

In fact what we need is total overhaul of the system.

It is news to me that our tomato is 'watery'.

(1) (Reply)

Pet Bottles Needed In Portharcourt From Manufacturers!!! / Use this car For Your Biznes for just 7k per day! 9am - 6pm / Quickteller Paypoint Stops Collection Of N100 Transaction Fee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.