Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling (5136 Views)

To All Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics E.t.c Do People Know You As An Atheist? / A Thread For Atheists, Skeptics, Agnostics, deists, Irreligious etc! / Skeptics And Atheists In Nigeria: How Do You Manage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by profibadan: 10:19pm On May 23, 2010
I like to affirm that Nigeria is an unnecessarily religious country, Religion has failed to provide answers for my people, despite their blind adherence to various leechy camps and conventions parroted by religious leaders. Please I am proposing a Nigeria Skeptical Society, Let all Nigerian Skeptic come together to liberate our Nation. send me email : profibadan@gmail.com or call 07060874312 to join
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by noetic16(m): 10:30pm On May 23, 2010
and how did u come to the conclusion that prayers have failed the nation?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 10:37pm On May 23, 2010
profibadan:

I like to affirm that Nigeria is an unnecessarily religious country,  Religion has failed to provide answers for my people, despite their blind adherence to various leechy camps and conventions parroted by religious leaders. Please I am proposing a Nigeria Skeptical Society, Let all Nigerian Skeptic come together to liberate our Nation. send me email : profibadan@gmail.com or call 07060874312 to join

Liberate Nigeria eh?. . . .Am an atheist but this idea of your will not work my brother, What do you have to offer them? Do you have endless sweet lies and sweet mythologies to offer? The land is so FULLLLLL of poverty and lack, people don't reason rationally here in Nigeria any more. If you have money to offer them, then I will encourage you to ride on, Because the only God Nigerians worship is MONEY no matter how much they keep lying to themselves. What do you want to give  to them in return? Don't you know that lack of belief in religious and the god hypothesis takes a lot of intellectuality, exposure, intelligence and good reasoning? How do you expect a country that is full of illiterates, backward thinking traditions and culture to understand anything you are talking about?. . . .Nigeria will not be ready for your movement in the next 200 years IMO, you can only try to show them that it is OK to be an atheist, Even that is a very difficult task talk less of liberating Nigeria from their various religious myths and delusions. . . . .It took Europeans over a thousand years of steady education and intellectual maturity to drop their religious beliefs and their belief in the Gods, They used to be like us too. The world is changing fast and one day we will all get there but sorry, Its will not be now. . . .

2 Likes

Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 10:39pm On May 23, 2010
noetic16:

and how did u come to the conclusion that prayers have failed the nation?

How has prayer helped the nation?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by noetic16(m): 10:48pm On May 23, 2010
mazaje:

Liberate Nigeria eh?. . . .Am an atheist but this idea of your will not work my brother, What do you have to offer them? Do you have endless sweet lies and sweet mythologies to offer? The land is so FULLLLLL of poverty and lack, people don't reason rationally here in Nigeria any more. If you have money to offer them, then I will encourage you to ride on, Because the only God Nigerians worship is MONEY no matter how much they keep lying to themselves. What do you want to give  to them in return? Don't you know that lack of belief in religious and the god hypothesis takes a lot of intellectuality, exposure, intelligence and good reasoning? How do you expect a country that is full of illiterates, backward thinking traditions and culture to understand anything you are talking about?. . . .Nigeria will not be ready for your movement in the next 200 years IMO, you can only try to show them that it is OK to be an atheist, Even that is a very difficult task talk less of librating Nigeria from their various religious myths and delusions. . . . .It took Europeans over a thousand years of steady education and intellectual maturity to drop their religious beliefs and their belief in the Gods, They used to be like us too. The world is changing fast and one day we will all get there but sorry, Its will not be now. . . .

all the OP did was to make a simple "suggestion" . . . .so why the usual christianity bashing charade? If there is no God, if prayers dont work, what is the alternative?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by noetic16(m): 10:48pm On May 23, 2010
mazaje:

How has prayer helped the nation?

what do u understand by "prayer"?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 11:12pm On May 23, 2010
The issue of prayers being answered or unanswered is very relative. In the court,people go to seek  a prayer,when answered then the pple rejoices,when unanswered they seek redress at the appellate court.Same applies to all kinds of prayers in any gathering/association.One may get answers,one may not.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by profibadan: 11:18pm On May 23, 2010
If I had asked all Christians on Nairaland to shout Halleluyah, people will shout Bless you brother. Nigerians with their blind adherence to religion again. Name one invention which has benefited mankind that came via prayer.
Well I am not here to talk about prayers, it is my intention for like-minded people to come together to form a formidable team to discuss ways to educate and enlightened our people. Are you aware some Nigerian professors still believe Joshua literally asked the Sun to stand still. and that the salt we eat comes from Lot's wife.

Please guys, religion has been used to decieved us, first by the European missionaries but now by theologically illiterate pastors who lead gullible people. How many Nigerians that the book of Revelation which they quote to support the claim of Apocalyspe and Rapture was not part of the the Original Canonical Bible and the MArtin Luther with John Calvin never beleived in the Book?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 11:56pm On May 23, 2010
profibadan:

If I had asked all Christians on Nairaland to shout Halleluyah, people will shout Bless you brother. Nigerians with their blind adherence to religion again. Name one invention which has benefited mankind that came via prayer.
Well I am not here to talk about prayers, it is my intention for like-minded people to come together to form a formidable team to discuss ways to educate and enlightened our people. Are you aware some Nigerian professors still believe Joshua literally asked the Sun to stand still. and that the salt we eat comes from Lot's wife.

Please guys, religion has been used to decieved us, first by the European missionaries but now by theologically illiterate pastors who lead gullible people. How many Nigerians that the book of Revelation which they quote to support the claim of Apocalyspe and Rapture was not part of the the Original Canonical Bible and the MArtin Luther with John Calvin never beleived in the Book?

How many of them really know that the bible was written much later than the time it was said to have been written? How many of the really know that so many of the writers of the bible remain UNKNOWN to this day? How many of them know that tradition is what dictates the name given to the writers of the bible. How many of them truly know that prophet Mohammed had nothing to do with the writing of the koran and that it was written long after his death by his conies. . . .How many Nigerians truly know anything about the history of all these imported religions they are dying and killing themselves over?. . . .

2 Likes

Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 9:23am On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

Nigerians with their blind adherence to religion again. Name one invention which has benefited mankind that came via prayer.

^^ This is a very stupid and brainless way of thinking. Prayers are spiritual exercises - we all know that. Your remark above is as brainless to ask you to name any "invention" that has emerged from your skepticism. Name one. If you want to rally like-minded skeptics for your campaign, do so with some thoughtfulness rather than making very silly remarks and cheap arguments.

I really pity those who will allow themselves to be gulled by your campaign - you don't show any hint of "education" in your comments, and yet you want to form a skeptical society to "educate" who?!? What really are the socio-cultural/political and economic problems Nigeria has been facing as a nation among developing countries (I disdain the term "third world")? Are those problems peculiar to Nigeria such that no other country is trying to come to terms with them even in so-called industrialized countries? What really are you "skeptical" about; and how do you plan to use the "skepticism" of your campaign to bring about developments in the political, social, cultural and economic landscape of Nigeria? What will your "skepticism" invent for the good of anybody? What technologies will your "skepticism" invent?

People who just come out to talk the way you do should be taken for the joke you are! Religion is not your problem - it were better that you share your atheistic concerns and move on. You're not alone, and with a little help you will find other atheists in that same Nigeria who will satiate your thirst for a union or 'fellowship' of sorts.

Nigeria's problems are multifaceted - they cannot be blamed on "religion" as if that alone is the reason for the country's problems. Hiding behind such excuses is worse than illiteracy, for if you cannot appreciate the real problems the country faces, then your skepticism is limp and lazy - you cannot proffer real solutions at any level if you do not first know what the real problems are.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 9:34am On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

What a shallow thinking there from you. WTH do u think u are to come up with such nonsense that if u told people to shout hallelujah they would oblige u with bless u.

I will repeat what i said as regards prayer 'prayers being answered or unanswered is very relative. In the court,people go to seek a prayer,when answered then the pple rejoices,when unanswered they seek redress at the appellate court.Same applies to all kinds of prayers in any gathering/association.One may get answers,one may not'.

It also depends on which side u belong to. To some pple they believe that for Nigeria to be politically stable now is as a result of prayers. The NA regularly request for Nigerians to pray for the country likewise the presidency for political stability. As the country is a bit stable politically now the presidency may ascribe it ti the prayers being offered.

When u want to talk do reason and never generalise becos of ur own selfish mission of wanting to gather pple together to reap them of money in the name of a yeye[b] 'Nigeria Skeptical Society'[/b]
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 10:11am On May 24, 2010
toba:

When u want to talk do reason and never generalise becos of your own selfish mission . .

That is the whole point, really. Often is the case that many a skeptic just generalize issues for their own selfish ends, so that whatever it is they want to discuss or argue, they just sweep everyone and everything into a box of very cheap arguments.

Nigeria's problems are much bigger than religion; and they are not peculiar to just this country. Corrupt politicians have used religion as well as many other social indices to further their corrupt political tenures. But that is not to say that the main problem in Nigeria now translates into "religion".

Let's take an example: how is the Niger-Delta crisis to be solved, for instance? For the life of me, I don't know who is out there that ranks that as a "religious" problem; but that aside, how does "skepticism" solve such a problem affecting other areas in the country's existence and polity?

I think a good assessment and appreciation of the nature of the real problems Nigeria faces is the first step to finding good solutions; rather than blaming them on cheap arguments and excuses.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by profibadan: 10:24am On May 24, 2010
I pity this country, if i asked you to join a christian group, nobody will attack you but to suggest an alternative lifestyle you see some intellectual slowpoke attacking you without foundation.Is it prayer that stabilize the country and are you sure the nation is stable? A situation where 70 per cent of our graduates are unemployed and some of our girls are turned into corporate prostitutes. I am only surprise with the shallow reason of some of our people.

We have been brainwashed for so long. When the Yorubas say that Osun a great heroine turned to Osun River, the whites and even modern day Christians called our fore-fathers stupid saying it is irrational for them to believe that a human can turn to river. but when the missionaries brought the bible with the story of Lot's wife turning to salt. They say it is miracle,
My People, read and do not follow blind sentiment
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by profibadan: 10:26am On May 24, 2010
Thanks to those who are mailing already to join the group. To join the group email :profibadan@gmail.com
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 10:42am On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

I pity this country, if i asked you to join a christian group, nobody will attack you but to suggest an alternative lifestyle you see some intellectual slowpoke attacking you without foundation.

Who gives two scoobies about your inviting anyone to join a christian group? There are many who have done so and still do so without trying to launch brainless excuses on "skepticism" the way you so illiterately did with cheap arguments on "religion". And besides, your reply does not even have a foundation - did you notice? I, for one, wrote you off as a piece of joke because you had no foundation whatsoever on Nigeria's problems! Dude, wake up!

profibadan:

Is it prayer that stabilize the country and are you sure the nation is stable?

Is it skepticism (especially your brainless skepticism) that can stabilize the country? I really want an answer to that - and please tell us how that is going to happen.

profibadan:
A situation where 70 per cent of our graduates are unemployed and some of our girls are turned into corporate love-peddlers. I am only surprise with the shallow reason of some of our people.

Please tell us how many graduates your skepticism had employed. Tell us how your skepticism has improved employment indices in Nigeria. Showing us results and a willingness to discuss rather than complain is the first step to taking you seriously.

profibadan:
We have been brainwashed for so long. When the Yorubas say that Osun a great heroine turned to Osun River, the whites and even modern day Christians called our fore-fathers silly saying it is irrational for them to believe that a human can turn to river. but when the missionaries brought the bible with the story of Lot's wife turning to salt. They say it is miracle, My People, read and do not follow blind sentiment

I can't believe this is all you have for your proposed "deliverance" to make Nigeria a better country! You must be a total joke!

Look, we are interested in Nigeria's development across the areas of deep concerns. I have hinted at a few of those areas: "political, social, cultural and economic". You talked about "invention" - and I also asked you to name just one invention or technology that your skepticism has offered anybody. In neither of these issues did you betake yourself to highlight anything with substance, other than your limp excuses of an "alternative lifestyle". Perhaps next time, you would rather seek to discuss issues with some substance and not breaking wind with complaints about other people's worldviews.

For now. . . all that would have solved your problem of your proposed alternative lifestyle is to make a simple request in the OP as this:

profibadan:

Please I am proposing a Nigeria Skeptical Society, Let all Nigerian Skeptic come together to liberate our Nation. send me email : profibadan@gmail.com or call 07060874312 to join

But wait, I stand to be corrected (especially because I'm not in Nigeria), I thought that there is already a "Nigeria Skeptics Society" being headed by one Leo Igwe? How is your own proposal going to be different from Igwe's group?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by PastorAIO: 12:19pm On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

I pity this country, if i asked you to join a christian group, nobody will attack you but to suggest an alternative lifestyle you see some intellectual slowpoke attacking you without foundation.Is it prayer that stabilize the country and are you sure the nation is stable? A situation where 70 per cent of our graduates are unemployed and some of our girls are turned into corporate love-peddlers. I am only surprise with the shallow reason of some of our people.

We have been brainwashed for so long. When the Yorubas say that Osun a great heroine turned to Osun River, the whites and even modern day Christians called our fore-fathers silly saying it is irrational for them to believe that a human can turn to river. but when the missionaries brought the bible with the story of Lot's wife turning to salt. They say it is miracle,

prof, I have a feeling that you are going to get bashed here on NL religion section. Perhaps you should read some of the discussions that have gone on before before you continue posting. Not only the religious but the atheists will bash you too.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

I pity this country, if i asked you to join a christian group, nobody will attack you but to suggest an alternative lifestyle you see some intellectual slowpoke attacking you without foundation.
Dont pity this country pity your self. Gbenga Daniel the current governor of Ogun State used a slogan when he was campaigning for second term in office 'tested and trusted' How can we trust u? Christianity can still be trusted to some extent cause its been tested as way leading to God and heaven. your own untested and untrusted alternative is very risky and might be another scam and indirect way to form association to dupe people.

profibadan:

Is it prayer that stabilize the country and are you sure the nation is stable? A situation where 70 per cent of our graduates are unemployed and some of our girls are turned into corporate love-peddlers. I am only surprise with the shallow reason of some of our people.
So what has stabilized the country? even leaders of the same country attests to prayer as the only saving grace. America says 'God bless America' and to date their prayer is answering as God is blessing America

profibadan:

A situation where 70 per cent of our graduates are unemployed and some of our girls are turned into corporate love-peddlers. I am only surprise with the shallow reason of some of our people.
What will your association do to employ the 70% unemployed? Prostitution is a life in SA where every thing is better there than in Nigeria, what else can u say about your own shallow mindedness in order to justify your association?

profibadan:

We have been brainwashed for so long. When the Yorubas say that Osun a great heroine turned to Osun River, the whites and even modern day Christians called our fore-fathers silly saying it is irrational for them to believe that a human can turn to river. but when the missionaries brought the bible with the story of Lot's wife turning to salt. They say it is miracle,

Thats y u want to do your own brainwashing with your association
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 3:18pm On May 24, 2010
toba:

So what has stabilized the country? even leaders of the same country attests to prayer as the only saving grace.

Well, I don't think that prayer is "the only" saving grace in the polity of any country, nevermind what "leaders" attest to. We should be very suspicious indeed of such "leaders" making such attestations - be they political, business/economic, religious, academic leaders.

The problems of any country are not solved by prayer alone (that is not to play down the importance of 'prayer' at any level). I think that collectively, any country's development depends largely on the interplay of various factors.

Aside the example earlier about the Niger-Delta crisis, let's take another example in the broader area that affects developing countries across the board: HEALTH. I choose this example because it is a problem that affects Nigeria and other developing nations as well. When people talk in the broader context of world concerns, we have to ask questions based on a number of factors - and this is where I recommend this vid by Dr. Hans Rosling:

[flash=450,350]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10616539&amp[/flash]

Synopsis:
              Dr. Hans Rosling uses his famous Gapminder data bubble statistics
              software to unveil a fact-based world view. Using global health data,
              he demystifies the gap between the so-called developing and
              developed worlds

Is it possible that there is something to learn from studies like this? What really are the issues around development of nations; and what is largely responsible for the gaps between so-called developing and developed worlds? I think that when we begin to grapple with the reality of the issues we face, then we can begin to understand how to source for solutions. This could be far better than the simplistic (and often misleading) views we tend to make in narrowing everything down to just indices of religious or skeptic worldviews.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by aletheia(m): 3:51pm On May 24, 2010
profibadan:

If I had asked all Christians on Nairaland to shout Halleluyah, people will shout Bless you brother. Nigerians with their blind adherence to religion again.
It took just your second post to reveal your true motivations: Hatred for Christianity.

profibadan:

Name one invention which has benefited mankind that came via prayer.
Taking up your challenge.

Ronald Ross, son of an Army Major, a brilliant and polyvalent mind, poet of romantic lyrics, part time novelist, playwright, painter, musician and mathematician, who never wanted to be a medical practitioner, became a researcher by accident, designed some of the most elegant experiments with sheer instincts and his own shrewd observations and ultimately won the second ever Nobel Prize in Medicine in the year 1902.
[center]. . .[/center]
His experience with malaria as a student also probably stirred Ross's interest in malaria. True to his style, Ross composed this verse about his first impressions of malaria that killed millions:

In this, O Nature, yield I pray to me.
I pace and pace, and think and think, and take
The fever'd hands, and note down all I see,
That some dim distant light may haply break.
The painful faces ask, can we not cure?
We answer, No, not yet; we seek the laws.
O God, reveal thro' all this thing obscure
The unseen, small, but million-murdering cause.
[center]. . .[/center]
[After discovering the malaria parasite on August 20-21] Next morning Ross wrote a poem which he sent to Manson on Aug. 22:

This day relenting God
Hath placed within my hand
A wondrous thing; and God
Be praised. At his command,

Seeking his secret deeds
With tears and toiling breath,
I find thy cunning seeds,
O million-murdering Death.

I know this little thing
A myriad men will save,
O Death, where is thy sting?
Thy victory, O Grave?

August 20th continues to be celebrated as Mosquito Day!

profibadan:

Obviously because you know nothing about prayer and faith.

profibadan:

Martin Luther and John Calvin are not Jesus Christ, and they didn't write the scriptures. Your point above is meaningless.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 6:08pm On May 24, 2010
viaro:

The problems of any country [b]are not solved by prayer alone [/b](that is not to play down the importance of 'prayer' at any level). I think that collectively, any country's development depends largely on the interplay of various factors.

After haranguing the OP you just turned around to do the same thing you accused him of doing. Name just one problems of a country that has ever been solved by prayers, Just tell us how prayer contributes to solving the problems of any country since you included it as part of the a solution by saying that the problems of any country are not solved by prayers alone. . . .

aletheia:

Taking up your challenge.

What is this? . . . . He asked you to show has prayer has helped solve the problem of a country and you came up with this joke? grin grin

Obviously because you know nothing about prayer and faith.

Same old excuses again. . . .Did Joshua really make the sun stop from rotating round the earth as the bible puts it or not?. . . Its obvious you will prefer to chase shadows that answer the question grin grin

Martin Luther and John Calvin are not Jesus Christ, and they didn't write the scriptures. Your point above is meaningless.

Which part of the bible did Jesus write?. . . . .The two guys are VERY important to what you believe as a protestant, without them your belief would have been completely different.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 6:53pm On May 24, 2010
mazaje:

After haranguing the OP you just turned around to do the same thing you accused him of doing. Name just one problems of a country that has ever been solved by prayers, Just tell us how prayer contributes to solving the problems of any country since you included it as part of the a solution by saying that the problems of any country are not solved by prayers alone. . . .

Did I claim that prayers solve any country's problems? This is the problem with people who read their own misgivings into other people's posts. I have mentioned that prayers are spiritual exercises which people engage in at various levels (whether individual or as a group or community) as far as worldviews are concerned - as such, I noted that a remark like that is not to play down the importance of prayer for anyone who engages in them.

However, the examples I gave about the problems faced by Nigeria in nation development point to something more intrinsic - and that is, they show that the nature of the problems of any country first have to be appreciated before viable solutions could be proffered. Where does the OP with his brainless talk of skepticism show any sense of taking that into consideration?

How has the OP's skepticism brought about development in nation development? What are his real concerns about Nigeria's problems? How many unemployed grads have his skeptical society employed? What technology has his "skeptical society" invented?

For all I know, the OP is a non-starter. If he wanted solicit membership for his own lifestyle, no one would care two scoobies about that. But to then make the very illiterate argument that Nigeria's problems could be better helped by his own skepticism is to qualify him for the joke he is.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by aletheia(m): 7:23pm On May 24, 2010
@Mazaje:
mazaje:

What is this? . . . . He asked you to show has prayer has helped solve the problem of a country and you came up with this joke? grin grin
Unlike you who rushes in to defend his irrational foibles, I take time to read a post before replying. Here is the post I replied to:
profibadan:
. . . Name one invention which has benefited mankind that came via prayer.
Does he ask about prayer solving the problem of a country or about prayer leading to an invention benefiting mankind? I gave a specific answer to his question. Ronald Ross, the 2nd Nobel Prize winner for Medicine, discovered the vector for malaria after praying. And this has led to saving countless millions of lives.
No wonder you can't but give a muddled and incoherent defense of your atheism seeing as it largely driven by emotions rather than any rational thought.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 7:54pm On May 24, 2010
aletheia:

@Mazaje:Unlike you who rushes in to defend his irrational foibles, I take time to read a post before replying. Here is the post I replied to:Does he ask about prayer solving the problem of a country or about prayer leading to an invention benefiting mankind? I gave a specific answer to his question. Ronald Ross, the 2nd Nobel Prize winner for Medicine, discovered the vector for malaria after praying. And this has led to saving countless millions of lives.
No wonder you can't but give a muddled and incoherent defense of your atheism seeing as it largely driven by emotions rather than any rational thought.

He would have discovered the malaria with or without his prayers and that is a fact because so many other disease vectors were discovered without prayers. . . .How did the prayers help him discover the malaria vector? Did prayers turn into a microscope and help him indentify the nature of the pathogen?. . . .
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 9:08pm On May 24, 2010
mazaje:

Did prayers turn into a microscope and help him indentify the nature of the pathogen?. .

But is that what you read in aletheia's post anywhere? Who has said anywhere about turning prayers into a microscope in what aletheia posted in reply about Ross?
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 24, 2010
prof shld simply have come out and told us he hated christianity. There would have been no need for such empty noise making.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by viaro: 9:18pm On May 24, 2010
davidylan:

prof shld simply have come out and told us he hated christianity. There would have been no need for such empty noise making.

^^Touché.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by aletheia(m): 9:34pm On May 24, 2010
mazaje:

He would have discovered the malaria with or without his prayers and that is a fact because so many other disease vectors were discovered without prayers. . . .How did the prayers help him discover the malaria vector? Did prayers turn into a microscope and help him indentify the nature of the pathogen?. . . .
Where is your evidence that Ronald Ross would have discovered the malaria vector without prayer? Like I said your atheism is merely emotional and not based on intellect or rational evidence, no matter how much you try to convince yourself.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 24, 2010
aletheia:

Where is your evidence that Ronald Ross would have discovered the malaria vector without prayer? Like I said your atheism is merely emotional and not based on intellect or rational evidence, no matter how much you try to convince yourself.

and they say faith is bad.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by thehomer: 9:48pm On May 24, 2010
@ aletheia
You cheapen Ross' discovery. He made that discovery using the scientific method and that was how it came to be accepted. He did not simply sit somewhere and pray for the solution. He actually went out and did something. It is also known that one can be religious and still do perfectly good science.

viaro:

This is a very silly and brainless way of thinking. Prayers are spiritual exercises - we all know that. Your remark above is as brainless to ask you to name any "invention" that has emerged from your skepticism. Name one. If you want to rally like-minded skeptics for your campaign, do so with some thoughtfulness rather than making very silly remarks and cheap arguments.

Most Nigerians do not view prayer as just a spiritual exercise. Some people actually base important life changing decisions on it.
Skepticism is more of a mind set, a method of questioning claims that others may take for granted. It is a way by which most of us gain knowledge. People should not simply take any claims made at face value.

viaro:

People who just come out to talk the way you do should be taken for the joke you are! Religion is not your problem - it were better that you share your atheistic concerns and move on. You're not alone, and with a little help you will find other atheists in that same Nigeria who will satiate your thirst for a union or 'fellowship' of sorts.

I think that religion as it is practiced in Nigeria is still a major part of the problem because it simply gives too much room to blind faith.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 24, 2010
thehomer:

Most Nigerians do not view prayer as just a spiritual exercise. Some people actually base important life changing decisions on it.
Skepticism is more of a mind set, a method of questioning claims that others may take for granted. It is a way by which most of us gain knowledge. People should not simply take any claims made at face value.

That is ACTUALLY not true. Skepticism, as shown by your likes is simply a reflection of a mindset that is CLOSED to rational thinking. One that is not based on a method of "questioning claims". I hear skeptics crying about seeking rational answers to who Christ is . . . but i dont see anywhere those same Nigerian skeptics have ever done anything with their alleged minds to solve other pressing social or scientific problems.

thehomer:

I think that religion as it is practiced in Nigeria is still a major part of the problem because it simply gives too much room to blind faith.

This is no different from atheism.
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On May 24, 2010
aletheia:

Ronald Ross followe the scientific method as someone here said. . . .He did not sit down pray and then heard the answers from some where, many other discoveries were made without praying to any imaginary god. . . . My atheism is based on the FACT that all gods and all religions are man made, that is why NO god can be shown to exist on its own independent of man made stories and myths, man made laws, societal acceptance and man's cultural infleunces. . . .If you know any god that exist on its own independent of these points i have stated then pls point to it, only then will i assume that you have an idea of what you are talking about. . .Your religion is nothing but following the cultural values of another person, and your REMAINS a creation of other men. . .
Re: All Skeptics, Rationalists, Agnostics, Humanists: Calling by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 24, 2010
mazaje:

Ronald Ross followe the scientific method as someone here said. . . .He did not sit down pray and then heard the answers from some where, many other discoveries were made without praying to any imaginary god. . . . My atheism is based on the FACT that all gods and all religions are man made, that is why NO god can be shown to exist on its own independent of man made stories and myths, man made laws, societal acceptance and man's cultural infleunces. . . .If you know any god that exist on its own independent of these points i have stated then pls point to it, only then will i assume that you have an idea of what you are talking about. . .Your religion is nothing but following the cultural values of another person, and your REMAINS a creation of other men. . .

Where did aletheia indicate that Ross discovered the malarial vector simply by praying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Winners Chapel Financial Record Surfaces After Oyedepo’s Outcry Over CAMA / Should Christian Women Wear Pants? / Why Do Some Muslims Use Mind Games To Draw People Into Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.