Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,507 members, 7,781,558 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:00 PM

Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors (2489 Views)

Estimated Cost Of Building This House (photo) / What Is The Cost Of Building A 4 Flat House In Ikorodu / For Roofing Sheet,marble, Tiles, Louvers & All Kinds Of Building Material (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by debostar(m): 3:44pm On Mar 18, 2007
Helo people
I need ideas on how to fence a plot of land and ultimately to build a house in Nigeria without using a contractor or an Engineer.What are the cost implcations of all these Thanks in anticipation for your valuable contributions
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by Seun(m): 10:16pm On Mar 18, 2007
Cost implications of building without a contractor or engineer?
A collapsed building, of course. Lots of buildings are collapsing in Lagos for that very reason. How sad. sad
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by webbo(m): 12:55am On Mar 20, 2007
@Seun
Very funny!!!

@Debostar
It is generally advisable to work with at least one of the 2 people u've mentioned above if u think u can't afford both. Why? Even if you have the time to acquire knowledge of the idiosyncracies of putting up a building in Lagos, U would do yourself the most service by being the honourable proprietor who crosschecks what's going on on his plot with the background information he has to ensure coherence.
Secondly, i doubt very much that u're a building/civil engineer. I could b wrong though. If you're not one, then u definitely should have one pop in to your site while construction's going on. Let him/her add his/her input to the building plans - if u intend to put up a lasting edifice. Experience (and not theory only) would be the desirable trait in your engineer by the way.
At the end of the day, you can save from building with an effective, malleable yet focused small time contractor who's willing to take instructions from your engineer. Whatever u do don't leave out an engineer in your plans - or ,like Seun rightly alluded, u might b arrested one day for being the landlord of  a collapsed building.

So as far as cost implication's concerned, building without an engineer might be cheaper in terms of building cost , but costly in other depts. As per a contractor - c'mon u need one , u'll probably give up on the building if you decide to build without one.
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by naijarikan(m): 1:26am On Mar 20, 2007
debostar:

Helo people
I need ideas on how to fence a plot of land and ultimately to build a house in Nigeria without using a contractor or an Engineer.What are the cost implcations of all these Thanks in anticipation for your valuable contributions

I just fenced[b] two [/b] plots for N423,000.00 without using a contractor and I think I was 419ed.  I would advise that you get at least three estimates before u embark on this.
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by lanrew(m): 5:24pm On Aug 22, 2007
Lanrew,

Dont be a penny wise pound foolish. Yes, a mason generally called a bricklayer would build the house, but ther are some areas they can not get the technicalities which will be giving you problems in the future and of course you will be spending more money which idealy you wouldn't if you have given your house to a builder or engineer. Builders are trained to build a house which will last for a generation (99)years. I still maintain that standard. my e-mail seggs.partners@yahoo.com
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by thirdeye(m): 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2007
You need not only the contractor ,you also need the professionals in the building construction industry to have a satisfactory home.
Cutting corners always have it's own attending problems .I will advise you against such.
However, you can always get them without spending so much. It is an errorneous belief that professionals are costly to hire, because at the end they
save you cost and heartaches of seeing your investment collapsing before your very eyes. 

http://www.buildingcontractorsecrets.com/bcsprof.htm
Re: Cost Implications Of Building Without Using Contractors by LASYEM(m): 11:44pm On Aug 22, 2007
@ALL, you are all talking about what it will cost to buildor to fence a house. but you are all forgeting the main thing legalising your document on the land. there is a saying that "he who owns the slave owns the property" i.e the person that have the write paper owns the land.
secondly, no construction should go on without building plan approval.
is the land free from govt. aqusition? etc.
so my friend perfect your document first so you would not have any problem with the property at the end of the day.cheers grin

(1) (Reply)

2 Plots Of Land At Adesan, Mowe: Ogun State. / 1 residential Plot In Unity Estate, Ajah. for sale / Pictures: Desperate Sale of an uncompleted House With Bq @ Vgc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.