Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? (42772 Views)

GUO Motors Attacked, Passengers Kidnapped, Driver Shot Dead. Girl Abandoned / Have You Seen A Nigerian Elephant?Nigeria Abandoned tourism potential / Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by engrjacuzzi: 4:50pm On May 17, 2018
wetin concern me with seaport

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by PointZerom: 4:53pm On May 17, 2018
Throwback:
Onne port in Port Harcourt is still very much active.
Mumu post.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 4:58pm On May 17, 2018
enomakos:
really?
YES REALY, I have shipped goods to both Onitsha and Onne ports, try and visit these ports so you can make an informed argument instead of following the tides of these lazy Nigerian youths

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 4:59pm On May 17, 2018
PointZerom:
Mumu post.
Instead of you to learn from that post,Onne port is very active, I shipped a container from china there 2017 two times.
last Nigerian youth

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by otokx(m): 5:00pm On May 17, 2018
Its a political issue which GEJ refused to address. Edo state is trying to do something in Gelegele. Delta state has no plan, idea, knowledge for any state owned ports though they have historical/colonial port activities. Akwa Ibom has been singing about Ibaka like the transmission man. Onne is specializing in Oil and Gas while Port Harcourt does more of food imports for re bagging eg flour, wheat, etc.

It appears the only RORO port is in Lagos.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:00pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Eastern bound cargo can always use Onne sea port, which is closer to that region. sad It is not by force to use Lagos sea port. Let the importers do the needful. undecided
The irony is that while the Lagos ports are heavily congested with ships queuing to get port calls to berth, the eastern ports are lying fallow due to little or no patronage. Apart from the Port at Onne in RiversState, the other seaports located at Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko are, mildly put, existing only in name. Another irony is that most importers who make use of the Lagos Ports have their businesses in the South South and South East geo-political zones.
under-utilization of the eastern ports on the corridors of the Federal Government and the foreign shipping lines. The government is said to have rolled out policies that have directly and indirectly stiffled the operations of eastern ports.
Prior to the concessioning of ports to private operators in 2006, the Federal Government gave up to 30 percent discount as incentives to shipping companies willing to use the eastern ports. Most of these shipping companies jumped at the bait and the result was a boom in the operations at the eastern ports. But this incentive was withdrawn after the concession. To make things worse, the freight charged for using the eastern ports was hiked. Second point, channels in Port-Harcourt Port 1 are not big enough for containerized vessels to berth,the fact that the Federal Government is not doing anything to dredge the port to pave the way for containerized vessels to come to the oldest seaport in the eastern part of the country, if you have a bigger vessel that will bring much cargo, you will spread your cost and it becomes lower than when you take a smaller vessel that will bring small cargo, small tonnage your cost goes higher when you spread it on small tonnage cargo. the challenges facing their operations, is federal government is churning out policies that were deliberately targeted at strangulating operations in the eastern ports and Federal Government is encouraging capital flight to Lagos, disparity in freight charges has greatly impaired the operations of ports in the eastern flank Let me give you a practical example. The question everybody is asking and which is begging for an answer is: “What is the rationale behind an importer who is based in Port Harcourt, Aba or Onitsha shipping his cargo to Lagos?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by itsandi(m): 5:02pm On May 17, 2018
Ibaka seaport is coming
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Myself2(m): 5:02pm On May 17, 2018
POLITICS OF MARGINALIZATION OF THE IGBOS

That's why

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:03pm On May 17, 2018
Odingo1:

I have been to Onitsha river port, nothing is happening there, I also stay in portharcourt for sometime, people import their goods from lagos which is bad.

The moment Nigeria start allowing other states to develop the better for them, you cant have only one functioning state like lagos in a big country like Nigeria and be concentrating all major infrastructural development in one state.

In Germany here major companies are giving free tax incentives for moving their companies to Eastern Germany in an effort by their FG to develop eastern germany, In South Africa international airports and seaports are built in such a way that the whole country is covered. Nobody travel from capetown to go and board a flight in Johanesbourg just to leave South Africa.
I shipped 2x 40ft from china to Onne port last year, I am also shipping another 20ft from London as we speak, so my friend if you know you KNOW!, and to be well informed, you can check live daily manifest of ships/vessels in and out of the Ports in real time on line for free. Nigerians youths are too lazy to dig deep for a bit of research!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by bbmate: 5:05pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:
bcoz militant will take advantage of it and we all know lagos is home for all.....yoruba's are very accommodating

u are very right.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:05pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:
bcoz militant will take advantage of it and we all know lagos is home for all.....yoruba's are very accommodating
craap comment from a lazy Nigerian youth!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by obailala(m): 5:07pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:

I shipped 2x 40ft from china to Onne port last year, I am also shipping another 20ft from London as we speak, so my friend if you know you KNOW!, and to be well informed, you can check live daily manifest of ships/vessels in and out of the Ports in real time on line for free. Nigerians youths are too lazy to dig deep for a bit of research!
How much more expensive is it to ship to Onne than Lagos?
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by obailala(m): 5:09pm On May 17, 2018
otokx:
Its a political issue which GEJ refused to address. Edo state is trying to do something in Gelegele. Delta state has no plan, idea, knowledge for any state owned ports though they have historical/colonial port activities. Akwa Ibom has been singing about Ibaka like the transmission man. [b]Onne is specializing in Oil and Gas [/b]while Port Harcourt does more of food imports for re bagging eg flour, wheat, etc.

It appears the only RORO port is in Lagos.
Anybody is allowed to use Onne, but I hear it cost more, so only oil companies seem to patronize it.
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2018
obailala:
How much more expensive is it to ship to Onne than Lagos?
It is more xpenssive ofcos cos it further but rest of mind, I shipped glassware from china, I saved on the risk of my container falling off appapa bridge and damaging millions, Onne port is one hour away on a smooth east west Rd to my Mini Warehouse, here is a link for you to see live arrival and departure at the Port of Onne

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ports/803/Nigeria_port:ONNE

5 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 5:10pm On May 17, 2018
post=67644563:
The irony is that while the Lagos ports are heavily congested with ships queuing to get port calls to berth, the eastern ports are lying fallow due to little or no patronage. Apart from the Port at Onne in RiversState, the other seaports located at Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri and Koko are, mildly put, existing only in name. Another irony is that most importers who make use of the Lagos Ports have their businesses in the South South and South East geo-political zones.
under-utilization of the eastern ports on the corridors of the Federal Government and the foreign shipping lines. The government is said to have rolled out policies that have directly and indirectly stiffled the operations of eastern ports.
Prior to the concessioning of ports to private operators in 2006, the Federal Government gave up to 30 percent discount as incentives to shipping companies willing to use the eastern ports. Most of these shipping companies jumped at the bait and the result was a boom in the operations at the eastern ports. But this incentive was withdrawn after the concession. To make things worse, the freight charged for using the eastern ports was hiked.
Second point, channels in Port-Harcourt Port 1 are not big enough for containerized vessels to berth,the fact that the Federal Government is not doing anything to dredge the port to pave the way for containerized vessels to come to the oldest seaport in the eastern part of the country, if you have a bigger vessel that will bring much cargo, you will spread your cost and it becomes lower than when you take a smaller vessel that will bring small cargo, small tonnage your cost goes higher when you spread it on small tonnage cargo.
the challenges facing their operations, is federal government is churning out policies that were deliberately targeted at strangulating operations in the eastern ports and Federal Government is encouraging capital flight to Lagos, disparity in freight charges has greatly impaired the operations of ports in the eastern flank
Lagos. Let me give you a practical example. The question everybody is asking and which is begging for an answer is: “What is the rationale behind an importer who is based in Port Harcourt, Aba or Onitsha shipping his cargo to Lagos?

Oga, did you read my post with an open mind, before jumping on your keyboard to type this epistle? Is Onne sea port not closer to the Southeast region, than Lagos? Is Onne port NOT operational? Are goods and raw materials not being consigned to Onne port, and cleared by importers from there on a daily basis?

So why are your importers obsessed with using Lagos ports? Produce or cite one policy that federal govt has used to strangulate operations in eastern ports. Please paste the source right here in black & white, so we can all read and verify. How come that same policy has not strangulated Onne port? shocked If freight charges are disproportional between Lagos port and Onne ports, what are your members in the Senate and house of reps doing, to review this issue?

6 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2018
obailala:
Anybody is allowed to use Onne, but I hear it cost more, so only oil companies seem to patronize it.
Nah not true, the vast majority of importers fro the south south and the south East use this port, but if you are not in the circle you wont know, they are very busy there.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by revolt(m): 5:12pm On May 17, 2018
Odingo1:

The North that is ruling Nigeria backed by the SW prefer the extra goods to go to other West African countries than to allow it to be landing in SS; I blame GEJ for not being man enough to change all this, instead he was playing political correctness to please the North.
don't mind the goat. The guy Jones thinking were one Nigeria
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 17, 2018
Hennepin:
All present and past Leaders of this country have failed us. Both major political parties have failed us and will continue. Vote with sense in 2019, in fact I will advice the youth to abandon this sinking ship while you can.

I have said it lots of times drop your green passport and move ahead Nigeria is a failed country

Those that have ears should hear

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by aribisala0(m): 5:14pm On May 17, 2018
post=67644563:
Prior to the concessioning of ports to private operators in 2006, the Federal Government gave up to 30 percent discount as incentives to shipping companies willing to use the eastern ports. Most of these shipping companies jumped at the bait and the result was a boom in the operations at the eastern ports. But this incentive was withdrawn after the concession. To make things worse, the freight charged for using the eastern ports was hiked.
Second point, channels in Port-Harcourt Port 1 are not big enough for containerized vessels to berth,the fact that the Federal Government is not doing anything to dredge the port to pave the way for containerized vessels to come to the oldest seaport in the eastern part of the country, if you have a bigger vessel that will bring much cargo, you will spread your cost and it becomes lower than when you take a smaller vessel that will bring small cargo, small tonnage your cost goes higher when you spread it on small tonnage cargo.
the challenges facing their operations, is federal government is churning out policies that were deliberately targeted at strangulating operations in the eastern ports and Federal Government is encouraging capital flight to Lagos, disparity in freight charges has greatly impaired the operations of ports in the eastern flank
Lagos. Let me give you a practical example. The question everybody is asking and which is begging for an answer is: “What is the rationale behind an importer who is based in Port Harcourt, Aba or Onitsha shipping his cargo to Lagos?

Reality

The federal government takes a lot of money out of Tin Can and Apapa bu is not prepared to reinvest anything back AT ALL and that is why the roads around there are in terrible condition.

If that same FG is not willing to put anything back how then will it spend money on speculation

By the way Port Harcourt port is not on the sea. It is several miles from the sea and was developed for EXPORT not import. Mainly to export coal from Enugu.

There is one Major road artery in PH which is struggling as it is.

Anyhow the assumption that dredging to allow bigger vessels is just as easy as signing a contract is naive.

There is a reason that place is called "DELTA" . The environmental impact of dredging and the cost has to be considered. Why dredge when there are locations by the sea already in Bayelsa and Rivers state.

The main issue is the evacuation infrastructure to connect the sea to the interior. Who will pay for that. Those states are not poor and need to start thinking ahead.

The FG is simply not going to build any more ports.

The other thing is the claim by OP that people shipto Cotono because of congestion. NOT TRUE

People ship there to avoid paying duty in short SMUGGLING.

If Goods are labelleed for Nigeria then Benin does not charge duty and the importter takes his chances at the border

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by davidif: 5:14pm On May 17, 2018
autojosh:

Note, however, that the Intels’ Onne port in River state is Nigeria’s best run and perhaps the most active ports in the country. The Intels’ Onne seaport is a privately-run seaport within the same region as the abandoned ports.

Bros you just answered your question right there. Gbam!
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:14pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Oga, did you read my post with an open mind, before jumping on your keyboard to type this epistle? Is Onne sea port not closer to the Southeast region, than Lagos? Is Onne port NOT operational? Are goods and raw materials not being consigned to onne port, and cleared by importers from there on a daily basis?

So why are your importers obsessed with using Lagos ports? Produce or cite one policy that federal govt has used to strangulate operations in eastern ports. Please paste it here in black & white, so we can all read and verify. How come that same policy has not strangulated Onne port? shocked
You got a point, that poster is uninformed. I ship to Onne port, that statement of obsession with Lagos is not true per say, I think its a Biz decision to either do Lagos or the South East. Even Onitsha ports received cargoes. Cos at the Shipping oys in china there are shipments bound for them destinations I mentioned. If I think its more profitable to ship to Lagos cos my mkt target is South West then yea.ie Bulk sales. But if I'm selling per unit then the final destination would be my target mkt.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 5:14pm On May 17, 2018
erico2k2:
Nah not true, the vast majority of importers fro the south south and the south East use this port, but if you are not in the circle you wont know, they are very busy there.
Don't mind those jokers. sad They just like peddling propaganda, that is unsupported by any kind of fact. undecided They like playing the victim. I have two friends that stopped using Lagos ports to clear their goods, and started using Onne port, since last year. The freight charge from Onne sea port using trucks to Uyo, Sapele and Asaba is far lower than what they would have paid from Lagos port, to those places.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by laudate: 5:16pm On May 17, 2018
davidif:
Bros you just answered your question right there. Gbam!

So, if Onne port is privately run by Intels (the concession has been suspended by the NPA, by the way) does it mean that importers cannot use the port to bring their goods into the country?
Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by farem: 5:17pm On May 17, 2018
computer0810:

You are correct. Militancy may have taken those ports as points of protest. I don't think the westerners could have been blowing up refineries if they're here
We need to be more mature as people.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Deadlytruth(m): 5:18pm On May 17, 2018
wink2015:
Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan wasted 6 years of his administration feeding thieves in his government.

He never thought it necessary to revamp the Warri seaport, Port Harcourt seaport.

Even his native Bayelsa deserve an international seaport. But Jonathan forgot himself.

He rather took pleasure in attempting the impossibility of buying Northerners' sympathy towards 2015 by earmarking a whopping N500bn for Almajiri schools which are of no economic value amidst their rejection by the targeted beneficiary region.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by JAWBONE(m): 5:20pm On May 17, 2018
Because we have leaders with lack of vision and foresight in the south-south

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by EarthXmetahuman: 5:20pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Eastern bound cargo can always use Onne sea port, which is closer to that region. sad It is not by force to use Lagos sea port. Let the importers do the needful. undecided
it is really funny how these flat heads cry and boast everyday that they are the only one importing things into the country. Yet, they blame lagos, yorubas and federal government for abandoning south east, even when they could have just taken their businesses to neighboring regions to prove to the yorubas they are truly in control..

Very annoying people.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Deadlytruth(m): 5:21pm On May 17, 2018
potent5:

17 of those years is by the NORTH plus 20 years before that, during which the North misruled this country

But can we in all honesty say that the Southerners who governed for part of those years did not ruin the country as well?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by jaybee(f): 5:21pm On May 17, 2018
They are waiting for DANGOTE.

After that you all will be saying "why is ONLY DANGOTE?"

Let the "ALL-KNOWING" southern businessmen and elites apply and obtain concessions there to operate the ports. SIMPLE. And stop blaming Dangote

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by erico2k2(m): 5:22pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Don't mind those jokers. sad They just like peddling propaganda, that is unsupported by any kind of fact. undecided They like playing the victim. I have two friends that stopped using Lagos ports to clear their goods, and started using Onne port, since last year. The freight charge from Onne sea port using trucks to Uyo, Sapele and Asaba is far lower than what they would have pad from Lagos port, to those places.
That's very correct, and even the risk, imagine if you container of glass tables and shelves fall , plus less wahala on the roads.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are The Four Other Seaports In Nigeria Abandoned? by Deadlytruth(m): 5:22pm On May 17, 2018
JAWBONE:
Because we have leaders with lack of vision and foresight in the south-south

Thank you. We have myopic One-Nigerianists as leaders in the SS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chain Reaction Accident Hit Truck, Cars At Dolphins - Osborne Road, Ikoyi Lagos / What ECOWAS Countries Have You Visited? How Do They Compare To Nigeria? / Amaechi Travels By Train From Abuja To Kaduna International Airport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.