Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,470 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! (16476 Views)

Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / I Wonder What Ghananians Are Turning In To: (it's A Shame) / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:13am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Mba. tongue
ogini
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 2:14am On Aug 05, 2008
gabrywyl:

Heheh! I agree with that but in a good way.  tongue

@Topic,
If I were to speak my Mother tongue, I am suppose to know to speak in mandarin, Hakkha, Hokkien, Cantonese, Malay, Kadazan and Murut but so far I can only speak Malay, Hakkha and a little Mandarin. Does that make me a shameful being?

of course not, but at least you can speak 3 other languages besides english. i only speak english.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:14am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

ogini  
nsogbu adighi smiley

naija_diva:

of course but at least you can speak 3 other languages besides english. i only speak english.
Are you trying to learn your native tongue? Because of course i speak english and i also know spanish. but it is very important i speak Igbo.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:16am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

nsogbu adighi smiley
Are you trying to learn your native tongue? Because of course i speak english and i also know spanish. but it is very important i speak Igbo.
did you just say you love me mba, don't say that again.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:17am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

did you just say you love me mba, don't say that again.
No slowpoke. it means "there is no trouble."
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:18am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

No slowpoke. it means "there is no trouble."
was the name calling necessary? i would call you a bitch in return, but i reserve it.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:19am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

was the name calling necessary? i would call you a bitch in return, but i reserve it.
Oka i will take it back. you are right in this occasion.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:19am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

of course not, but at least you can speak 3 other languages besides english. i only speak english.

English is good enough cvause its an international language.

I think if people were to blame people whom could not speak their native language, they should not blame us but to blame our parents. Cause they are the ones whom raise us and if they think that our native language is important, they should teach us how to speak it to begin with before our brains becomes rusty when we grow older.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 2:19am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

nsogbu adighi smiley
Are you trying to learn your native tongue?

yea all the time. i go online to find igbo lessons that are helpful but it's nothing when there's no one to help and interact with you. when i went to nigeria this winter, i specifically told them to speak to me only in igbo but they were more interested in me teaching them american english. i'm like english is english and you guys already speak english, fluently.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:21am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka i will take it back. you are right in this occasion.
it's too late, idiot. okay, i'm just kidding grin
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:22am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

yea all the time. i go online to find igbo lessons that are helpful but it's nothing when there's no one to help and interact with you. when i went to nigeria this winter, i specifically told them to speak to me only in igbo but they were more interested in my teaching them american english. i'm like english is english and you guys already speak english, fluently.
This is the story of my life. undecided

gabrywyl:

English is good enough cvause its an international language.

I think if people were to blame people whom could not speak their native language, they should not blame us but to blame our parents. Cause they are the ones whom raise us and if they think that our native language is important, they should teach us how to speak it to begin with before our brains becomes rusty when we grow older.
Well actually. . . both my parents and grandma spoke igbo to us most of the time. But some how we didn't pick up the language. undecided

HCH3COO:

it's too late, idiot. okay, i'm just kidding grin
Are you sure you are not jiving with me? tongue
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:23am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Well actually. . . both my parents and grandma spoke igbo to us most of the time. But some how we didn't pick up the language. undecided

In that case, its their responsibility to push and encourage you guys to speak Igbo. Dont you think so?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:24am On Aug 05, 2008
gabrywyl:

In that case, its their responsibility to push and encourage you guys to speak Igbo. Dont you think so?
Actually my mom forced us to learn the Lord's Prayer in igbo, but all me and my siblings wanted to do was watch Sesame Street. undecided
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:25am On Aug 05, 2008
gabrywyl:

In that case, its their responsibility to push and [b]encourage you guys to speak Igbo. [/b]Dont you think so?
they did. that's what she said.

onyinye2:

Are you sure you are not jiving with me? tongue
whatever.  i wasn't kidding.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:26am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

whatever.  i wasn't kidding.
Oh really? OUCH!!! embarassed
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:26am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Actually my mom forced us to learn the Lord's Prayer in igbo, but all me and my siblings wanted to do was watch Sesame Street. undecided
you see, gaby?  it's their fault, not the parents.

onyinye2:

Oh really? OUCH!!! embarassed
you will get over it in 10 seconds.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:27am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

you see, gaby?  it's their fault, not the parents.
Actually he is right. undecided It was our fault. We weren't really into learning the language at the time. Now we are suffering for our ignorant choices now. embarassed

HCH3COO:

you will get over it in 10 seconds.
Yeah you're right.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 2:28am On Aug 05, 2008
Well actually. . . both my parents and grandma spoke igbo to us most of the time. But some how we didn't pick up the language

same story.

gabrywyl:

true, i hate to say this but nigerians (not all) are obsessed with anything that's not nigerian and that's a shame. they tell u not to be ashamed of where u come from but at the same time they're ashamed of being nigerian that they'll go as far as to speaking in a fake ass accent. they tell you "you must learn your language" but at the same time they stay speaking english to you.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:28am On Aug 05, 2008
No. . . Than your parents should set rules like if you learn 2 sentences in a day, I will bring you to the zoo. Or something like that. . . .

I remembered when I was young, my grandma wanted me to speak in Hakkha so badly that every single day, she told me that if I learn 3 sentences and remember it, she would play with me badminton every evening, So I did and she played and after a month, she got back ache and when my parents ask her what happen, she look at me and smiled.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:29am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Actually he is right. undecided It was our fault. We weren't really into learning the language at the time. Now we are suffering for our ignorant choices now. embarassed
that's what happens when you love sponge bob, or mickey mouse is it?
Yeah you're right.
like always.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:31am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

that's what happens when you love sponge bob, or mickey mouse is it?like always.

I LOVE SPONGEBOB AND MICKEY MOUSE!!!!!!

But when I was young, I dont have a TV or a radio. We spend our days playing outside with other children.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by motunrayo4(f): 2:31am On Aug 05, 2008
naija_diva:

same story.

true, i hate to say this but nigerians (not all) are obsessed with anything that's not nigerian and that's a shame. they tell u not to be ashamed of where u come from but at the same time they're ashamed of being nigerian that they'll go as far as to speaking in a fake ass accent. they tell you "you must learn your language" but at the same time they stay speaking english to you.
Its not only Nigerians but most Africans. . . . . . .

I know its my fault and thats why I regret it embarassed
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:31am On Aug 05, 2008
gabrywyl:

No. . . Than your parents should set rules like if you learn 2 sentences in a day, I will bring you to the zoo. Or something like that. . . .

I remembered when I was young, my grandma wanted me to speak in Hakkha so badly that every single day, she told me that if I learn 3 sentences and remember it, she would play with me badminton every evening, So I did and she played and after a month, she gor back ache and when my parents ask her what happen, she look at me and smiled.
You don't think they tried. there was a time they didn't even speak english to us, but we weren't interested. all we wanted to do was watch Barney and Sesame Street. undecided

naija_diva:

same story.

Actually i am very proud to be nigerian and igbo. I just wish i was wiser when i was younger. But yeah im proud of my culture.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:32am On Aug 05, 2008
gabrywyl:

I LOVE SPONGEBOB AND MICKEY MOUSE!!!!!!

But when I was young, I don't have a TV or a radio. We spend our days playing outside with other children.
tente and suwe, right?
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:32am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

that's what happens when you love sponge bob, or mickey mouse is it?
Oka spongebob and mickey mouse are throw so i don't know what you are jiving about.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:33am On Aug 05, 2008
[
Actually i am very proud to be nigerian and igbo.
I don't know why, it's not like you get a medal.  Just so happened that you were born into it.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by onyinye2(f): 2:35am On Aug 05, 2008
HCH3COO:

[I don't know why, it's not like you get a medal.  Just so happened that you were born into it.
Oka so i should be ashamed? I don't carry if i get any recognition for it. I'm glad that i was born into it.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:35am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka spongebob and mickey mouse are throw so i don't know what you are jiving about.
that's not true.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by naijadiva2(f): 2:35am On Aug 05, 2008
motun_rayo:

i know but i'm speaking from a nigerian perspective since i'm nigerian.

Actually i am very proud to be nigerian and igbo. I just wish i was wiser when i was younger. But yeah im proud of my culture.

sam here.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:36am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka so i should be ashamed? I don't carry if i get any recognition for it. I'm glad that i was born into it.
you don't have to be ashamed. you can be stale. really makes no difference.  you would be equally proud if you were born a ghanaian too.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by Gabry(f): 2:36am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

You don't think they tried. there was a time they didn't even speak english to us, but we weren't interested. all we wanted to do was watch Barney and Sesame Street. undecided

Gosh. . . You guys are some stubborn kids huh? In that case, the TV should be thrown off.  tongue

HCH3COO:

tente and suwe, right?

Huh? What's that?

naija_diva:

Nah. . . Not just Nigerians. Even Malaysian as well. We have like a bunch on Indian Malaysian trying so hard to be like the blacks and the Chinese trying so hard to be like the whites and the Malays tried to so hard be in between the Black and Whites. . . . Its all being mixed up.
Re: Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! by HCH3COO: 2:37am On Aug 05, 2008
motun_rayo:

how do you know it's most africans?  did you survey them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yoruba People And insults / The Edos / Eluku Festival: Notice Of Movement Restrictions In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.