Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,377 members, 7,800,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution (23351 Views)

Gbemisola Saraki: Why Nigeria Is Linking Niger, Landlocked Countries With Rail / Tinubu On Track To Become APC Flagbearer As Delegates Endorse Him: Vanguard / Amaechi: Buhari Creating Jobs With Rail Projects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by deafeyez: 12:23pm On May 18, 2018
Is the rail now TRANSMISSIONING
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Patosky4U: 12:23pm On May 18, 2018
We hope so.......

Naija anything is possible
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by ybalogs(m): 12:23pm On May 18, 2018
Amaechi ia working. Keep on keeping on.
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by aribisala0(m): 12:24pm On May 18, 2018
wellmax:
This is one area I have seen Buhari working very hard to correct the mistakes of the past.
God Bless Nigeria
Much of what is going on in raail he inherited

Thereis nothing new that he initiated

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Koolking(m): 12:26pm On May 18, 2018
PMB government deserves accolades, encouragement and support.

We are indeed on track for turn round.

Long live the Presidency!
Long live Nigerians!!
Long live Nigeria!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by grandstar(m): 12:27pm On May 18, 2018
First and foremost, Nigeria can not be a trans shipment point for cargo with it's inefficient ports and punitive import duties. Transhipment traffic will still flow through Benin and other countries.

I very much doubt that the trains will be economically viable.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by opeyemicollins(m): 12:27pm On May 18, 2018
We appreciate the good efforts of PMB adminstration.this administration is full of hope for the people of this country

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by cantok(m): 12:36pm On May 18, 2018
presidency:

will ensure that within the next 12 months, passenger travel by rail from Lagos to Kano will be faster and safer, while for the first time in over a decade, contracted and scheduled freight rail services can once again be offered.
-The best part of the news that I could not settle down to read
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by seguno2: 12:37pm On May 18, 2018
ada9ja:
Transformation

Of transfusion grin
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by micchi(m): 12:39pm On May 18, 2018
Nice Deleopmwnt

God Bless Amaechi
God Bless PMB
God Bless Nigeria
[/quote]. .God bless them for Benue taraba Adamawa southern Kaduna ethnic killings undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by waldigit: 12:43pm On May 18, 2018
PrinceVM:
How Will Somebody Go To
Swimming Pool With Soap And
Sponge??
If I Mention The Tribe Now It
Will Look As If Am Insulting
Yoruba People.

Mr JJC mind your mouth. The last time I checked they say you must be from those BB Naija race

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Xander85: 12:44pm On May 18, 2018
Does anyone from the SE or SS (the back burner) have anything to be excited about with this report?

Just asking! smiley
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by CSTR1003: 12:45pm On May 18, 2018
What nonsense.
I should thank him for doing his job by continuing projects he inherited.
Alright, thank you buhari for doing the job you are paid generously for.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by CSTR1003: 12:48pm On May 18, 2018
Xander85:
Does anyone from the SE or SS (the back burner) have anything to be excited about with this report?

Just asking! smiley
Castigating whole regions because of one man.
Regions that provide the oil that drives your very standard of living.

For A man whose productivity and contribution to national prosperity is less than a mustard seed.
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by aribisala0(m): 12:49pm On May 18, 2018
grandstar:
First and foremost, Nigeria can not be a trans shipment point for cargo with it's inefficient ports and punitive import duties. Transhipment traffic will still flow through Benin and other countries.

I very much doubt that the trains will be economically viable.
Nigeria is already a transhipment point.
Import duties do not apply to onward cargo.
Define punitive import duties with one example.

We do not have t open ourselves to dumping waste items of all sorts from Europe in the name of competing

What we need is more harmonized customs integration across the zone.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by WhoBeThisMan: 12:53pm On May 18, 2018
presidency:
Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution

Just days before President Buhari met with President Trump at the White House, history was made in Washington, DC, with the signing of a landmark infrastructure agreement between the Nigerian Government and a consortium of multinational firms led by the American digital industrial giant, General Electric (GE). The implementation of that agreement, worth US$45 million in the first phase, will ensure that within the next 12 months, passenger travel by rail from Lagos to Kano will be faster and safer, while for the first time in over a decade, contracted and scheduled freight rail services can once again be offered.

This milestone project is the outcome of President Buhari’s single-minded determination to develop, upgrade and modernise Nigeria’s transport infrastructure, as well as the relentless push by the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, to fully deliver on the President’s vision.

Since Mr. Amaechi took office in November 2015, as Minister of Transportation, there has been a renaissance in Nigeria’s rail industry, in line with the President’s oft-stated vision. This planned revamp of the Narrow-Gauge Rail Network by the international consortium comprising General Electric, Transnet of South Africa, Sino Hydro of China and APM Terminals (part of the Danish Maersk Group) – after two years of meticulous planning, negotiating and contracting, offers strong proof of the seriousness with which the Buhari Administration is taking its railway modernisation ambitions.

Nigeria’s Narrow-Gauge Rail System was conceived in the 1890s and built between 1898 and 1926, with a total length of 3,500 kilometres. It consists of two primary lines – Lagos to Nguru and Port Harcourt to Maiduguri – with spur lines to Eleme, Baro, Kaura Namoda and other places.

These critical economic assets have since become decrepit, having suffered significant decline due to lack of investments in infrastructure maintenance. A few years ago, a previous administration commenced a rehabilitation programme, which saw the Lagos-Kano line come back to life. But that rehabilitation was not accompanied by corollary improvements in operations and engineering management capacity, thus failing to fully exploit the massive freight and passenger potential of the narrow-gauge network.

The Buhari administration, as part of its infrastructure development vision, has now finally taken the long overdue bold steps to modernise the rail network. On August 18, 2017, the Federal Executive Council, following a competitive procurement process, approved the concession of the Narrow-Gauge Rail System to the GE-led Consortium. The Government is advised by a multidisciplinary consortium led by the Africa Finance Corporation.

The initiation of that concession agreement is what has now finally taken effect following the signing in Washington, DC yesterday, ahead of President Buhari’s bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday.

Sources within the GE Consortium have disclosed that the first set of 3 locomotives and sixty wagons (out of 10 locomotives and 200 wagons) are ready to be shipped to Nigeria.

The benefits of this intervention are immense: increased economic productivity, job creation, private sector investment, human capacity development and much-needed world class expertise. Worldwide, rail infrastructure has been proven to reduce costs and wastage of goods; increase economic trade between farmers/miners and industry and between traders and consumers; and grow business competitiveness and increase operational efficiency.

The Narrow-Gauge Concession with the GE-led Consortium is only one of many projects conceived in the sector. In July 2016, President Buhari commissioned the Abuja (Idu) to Kaduna (Rigasa) Standard-Gauge Rail Line, which runs two round trips daily between the two cities, creating an alternative for the over 20,000 motorists who ply the route.

Also, that month, Minister Amaechi signed a renegotiated agreement with the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation that revised the cost – originally negotiated by his predecessors – of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Railway Project downwards by 800 million dollars.

Again, in March 2017, Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo flagged-off construction of the 156-kilometre Lagos-Ibadan Standard-Gauge Line, following the payment of the federal government’s 15 per cent counterpart funds about two hundred million dollars to the Chinese Export Import Bank. The project is expected to be completed within three years and it forms the second phase of the Lagos to Kano Standard Gauge Line, after the Abuja-Kaduna Line. This Standard Gauge project is different from the existing Narrow-Gauge line being concessioned to the GE Consortium.

Furthermore, in December 2017, the Federal Executive Council approved the acquisition of nine locomotives, one hundred and twenty-eight Passenger Coaches, and one hundred and ninety wagons to support Standard Gauge rail operations.

The Abuja Monorail project will be commissioned during the second quarter of 2018. The first phase of the 45-kilometre rail project has 12 rail stations and connects the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport to Abuja’s Central Business District.

In his 2018 New Year Speech, President Buhari announced that negotiations were advanced for the construction of the Frontier Rail Line from Kano to Maradi in Niger Republic emanating from Kano through to Kazaure, Katsina, Jibia and finally to Maradi.

Also noteworthy is the development of the Coastal Rail Line from Lagos to Calabar via Lagos-Ore-Benin City-Sapele-Warri-Yenagoa with sidings to Otuoke, Port Harcourt, Aba, Uyo, Calabar and branch line from Benin-City, Obudu, Onitsha including Onitsha rail bridge. These developments are significant, as they will position Nigeria as a major transhipment hub for millions of tons of goods being imported from and exported to land-locked countries including Niger, Chad, Burkina Faso and Cameroon.

For centuries, rail networks have formed the foundation for industrialisation, productivity and economic efficiency for many developed nations. For instance, rail infrastructure stock in the United States of America increased 16-fold from 14,000 kilometres in 1850 to over 220,000 kilometres today. The United States’ rail network has annual revenues of about $60 billion, provides 221,000 jobs and delivers 5 million tons of freight and transports approximately 85,000 passengers every day. One third of all exports from the United States is facilitated by rail transport.

In the 2017 Budget and the 2018 Budget Proposal, the federal government provisioned more than 300 billion naira for railway projects, mainly as 15 per cent counterpart funds to unlock additional concessionary funding from the Chinese Export Import Bank.

This is an unprecedented commitment, which, combined with the GE-led Consortium’s drive to modernising Nigeria’s rail infrastructure, will add immense value to Nigeria’s long term economic growth and productivity.

Ibeleme writes from Abuja

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/05/18/nigeria-getting-back-on-track-with-rail-revolution/
locomotives? Seriously?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by OfficialRasheed: 12:54pm On May 18, 2018
Avedonn:
I don't really like some of Buhari's policies especially his handling of security and economy, but as faulty as its, things are gradually falling in place.

Let's just give him a chance to conclude some of his good policies.

I don't really like his style of leadership especially his nepotism but I know deep in my mind, he's a honest and sincere man that have the zeal of changing things.

Buhari's only undoing is his loyalty to the North which is the cause of all his problems. Perhaps he don't want to bite the hands that fed him that's why he find it difficult to take some drastic measures against his kingsmen.

we should give him a chance to conclude the killings you talked about?
Stupid post

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Oju4190: 12:58pm On May 18, 2018
Igbos will not like this.....They prefer a Dormant President that will b siphoning money
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by thunderbabs: 1:00pm On May 18, 2018
Avedonn:
I don't really like some of Buhari's policies especially his handling of security and economy, but as faulty as its, things are gradually falling in place.

Let's just give him a chance to conclude some of his good policies.

I don't really like his style of leadership especially his nepotism but I know deep in my mind, he's a honest and sincere man that have the zeal of changing things.

Buhari's only undoing is his loyalty to the North which is the cause of all his problems. Perhaps he don't want to bite the hands that fed him that's why he find it difficult to take some drastic measures against his kingsmen.

Haaaa, conclude wetin? The next president will continue the project make he no worry. Abeg shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by otokx(m): 1:08pm On May 18, 2018
When will the south and east benefit from this rail transformation?
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by contigiency(m): 1:09pm On May 18, 2018
Buhari remains the most patriotic Of all the previous presidents of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by LadySarah: 1:09pm On May 18, 2018
Presidency,ask your Oga Amaechi if it is legal for passengers to pay for their luggages on the train.

I used the train service for the first time last week,Ph--Aba.I was happy with what i saw including the #200 fare.my happiness would later turn to bile when i noticed some stuffs;
1.The conveniences were converted to cargo area even when there were spaces the passengers could keep them.I soon discovered that the NRC workers charge them and put it in their pockets.If they refused to pay they flung out their goods.
2.They picked ppl on the way while the train was moving.Very dangerous cos i learnt it crushed someones leg that morning .These ones are seen standing inside the train.They also collect money frm them without giving them tickets which means this money isnt remitted to the govt.
I noticed nobody could say anything so i confronted them and told thrm i will make sure it gets to the appropriate agency.They now replied me that their oga sent them,but i noticed they never came back.
The passengers say it has been going on for sometime now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by kamalcole3000: 1:10pm On May 18, 2018
BMC doing all they can to portray Bubu as working.
He is and will always be
A MONUMENTAL FAILURE.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by LadySarah: 1:12pm On May 18, 2018
otokx:
When will the south and east benefit from this rail transformation?

There are train services in the east.Ask around.
Btw,i'm igbo and i use it alongside thousands of others.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by grandstar(m): 1:25pm On May 18, 2018
aribisala0:

Nigeria is already a transhipment point.
Import duties do not apply to onward cargo.
Define punitive import duties with one example.

We do not have t open ourselves to dumping waste items of all sorts from Europe in the name of competing

What we need is more harmonized customs integration across the zone.

You are right that import duties don't apply to onward cargo. Anyway, Nigerian ports are lawless and some of that lawlessness has some deep roots in importers trying to dodge high import duties.

Import duties on tokunbo cars is around 70% if I'm correct, hence the desire of car importers if route their cargo through Benin Republic. Nigeria is notorious is West Africa for its protectionism which has failed to revive its manufacturing sector.

If Nigerian companies can not compete against their competitors in Europe where salaries are at least 20 times higher than Nigeria and energy expensive, then they should close.

Nigerian factories are not competitive and many are focusing resources on areas the country lacks comparative advantage. Hence, the perennial outcry for protection.

Countries do best when they focus resources in areas they have comparative advantage. Countries do well when they pour resources in areas they excel in and not in areas they suck as the Nigerian governments keeps encouraging to do.

If you have comparative advantage in a niche, you don't need to have high tariffs to thrive. Low tariffs will compel Nigerian industry divert from areas they suck to areas they can thrive.

The best thing the government can do for the real sector in Nigeria is to slash lending rates to single digit levels between 4-8%.

At such low rates, companies will feel confident borrowing and importing machinery that will make them competitive with their foreign counterparts. Low lending rates will do far more for the real sector here in Nigeria than 24 hour power supply.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by wink2015(m): 1:30pm On May 18, 2018
First of all, work on the Power Sectors first.

Investing in Railway and train transportation should be secondary.

If electricity is efficiently supplied to consumers it will technically solve to some extent unemployment.

As youth will create their own jobs while the factories will increase production to employ more workers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Ikpongiton: 1:31pm On May 18, 2018
kun chi ubanku
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by seguno2: 1:33pm On May 18, 2018
contigiency:
Buhari remains the most patriotic Of all the previous presidents of Nigeria.

Since when did patriotism equal the killing of Nigerians by Fulani herdsmen
Do you mind explaining?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by aribisala0(m): 1:37pm On May 18, 2018
grandstar:

You are right that import duties don't apply to onward cargo. Anyway, Nigerian ports are lawless and some of that lawlessness has some deep roots in importers trying to dodge high import duties.

Import duties on tokunbo cars is around 70% if I'm correct, hence the desire of car importers if route their cargo through Benin Republic. Nigeria is notorious is West Africa for its protectionism which has failed to revive its manufacturing sector.

If Nigerian companies can not compete against their competitors in Europe where salaries are at least 20 times higher than Nigeria and energy expensive, then they should close.

Nigerian factories are not competitive and many are focusing resources on areas the country lacks comparative advantage. Hence, the perennial outcry for protection.

Countries do best when they focus resources in areas they have comparative advantage. Countries do well when they pour resources in areas they excel in and not in areas they suck as the Nigerian governments keeps encouraging to do.

If you have comparative advantage in a niche, you don't need to have high tariffs to thrive. Low tariffs will compel Nigerian industry divert from areas they suck to areas they can thrive.

The best thing the government can do for the real sector in Nigeria is to slash lending rates to single digit levels between 4-8%.

At such low rates, companies will feel confident borrowing and importing machinery that will make them competitive with their foreign counterparts. Low lending rates will do far more for the real sector here in Nigeria than 24 hour power supply.

This is a salad of facts that adds up to nothing but incoherence. Too many "facts" all totally unrelated

Nigeria has every right to prootect itself from becoming a dumping ground for rubbish
Nigerian companies should not close just because you say so.

International trade is more political than economic so this "competition" that you talk about is as much political as economic though I do not see what that has got to do with the topic

India was given exemption from the WTO for many years to enable it raise its game. African countries need the same now.We should not just throw our borders open to imports.

How are we going to pay for the imports? Crude oil?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by seguno2: 1:38pm On May 18, 2018
wellmax:
This is one area I have seen Buhari working very hard to correct the mistakes of the past.
God Bless Nigeria

If you mean his mistake of cancelling Jakande’s metro project, you will be correct.
If you mean anything else, you are dead wrong.
Buhari has done nothing new beyond completing and continuing what was started by others.

nawtyme:
Previous Govts Initiated ‘Most Of The Things This Administration Is Doing’ – Adesina

A majority of the projects the Muhammadu Buhari administration is working on was inherited from previous administrations, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity has said.

Mr Femi Adesina said this when he appeared on Channels Television’s special Independence anniversary programme on Sunday.

“Most of the things this administration is doing – 60 to 70 percent of them – were initiated by previous governments,” he said.

“That shows you that in the past a government will come and say ‘this is not our project’ And it will discard what was being done and start fresh ones.”

As a result, Mr Adesina said there are many half and quarter-completed abandoned projects.
But rather than abandon the project, he explained that the current administration will complete it.

An example is the Abuja-Kaduna rail project which the Presidential aide said was up to maybe 60 to 70 percent complete when the last administration left.

https://www.channelstv.com/2017/10/01/previous-govts-initiated-most-of-the-things-this-administration-is-doing-adesina/
Re: Nigeria Getting Back On Track With Rail Revolution by Fatherofdragons: 1:47pm On May 18, 2018
TheAngry1:
Just wait for it: Soon Chinedu and his cousins will rush here to spew hatred and malice grin grin grin. If the government is getting it right, commend them. If they are wrong, condemn them. Don't perpetually remain at negative default setting

Or u mean olu and his head collection?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tinubu's Certificate: "Rufai Oseni Has Apologised To Me" - Reno Omokri / Is There A Conspiracy Between APC And The media To Conceal Boko Haram Attacks? / Keyamo Disagreed With Lagos Assembly On How Tinubu Was Cleared (

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.