Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. (15781 Views)

Fact-Check: Court Did Not Declare Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Illegal / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Ayo25: 5:41am On May 20, 2018
Adelani Adepegba
The Federal Government has faulted claims by the Lagos State Government that a Federal High Court has shut down the Ikoyi Marriage Registry , insisting that the report is false.
The Ministry of Interior said that the court presided over by Justice Chuka Obiozor simply upheld the judgment of a Federal High Court delivered in 2002 which was not appealed.
It explained that the case, Suit No : FHC/L /CS /1760/16- Egor Local Government Area of Edo State & three others Vs. Ministry of Interior & others, cited by the Lagos State government was actually struck out by Justice Obiozor in his judgment delivered on April 30, 2018.
The Director of Legal , Ministry of Interior , Bola Odugbesan, made the clarification in a statement in Abuja on Friday, in reaction to a press statement on Thursday by the Director , Public Affairs, Lagos State Ministry of Local Government and Community Affairs, Bisi Olufuwa.
Olufuwa had claimed that the Lagos State had secured a court injunction restraining the Ikoyi registry from conducting marriages .
Dismissing the claims, Odugbesan presented a copy of the judgment by Obiozor who described the case as an abuse of court process and struck it out .
Checks by our correspondent also showed that the Lagos State Government was not a party to the suit .
Clarifying what transpired in the suit , Odugbesan said, “ In the case, the court was invited to interpret the provisions of the Constitution conferring on local governments, the powers to register marriages .
“ The Minister of Interior, through his Counsel , Bola Odugbesan, argued that under item 61 of the Exclusive List , matters connected with marriage under the Marriage Act , issuing of marriage certificate and its registration are outside the purview of state and /or local governments.”
The director further explained , “The Federal High Court in its judgment dated April 30 , 2018 , struck out the case of the Plaintiffs, ie , Egor LGA & Ors . The court held that the case is an abuse of the court process in view of the earlier judgment of the court in 2002 which upheld the sanctity of the rights of the Minister to issue licences to places of worship to conduct marriages , and the Registrar under the Marriage Act to register marriages . It is instructive to note that Lagos State was not a party in the case,”
Odugbesan insisted that the Federal High Court never ordered the closure of Ikoyi Marriage Registry as claimed by Olufuwa.
http://punchng.com/court-didnt-close-ikoyi-marriage-registry-fg-tells-lagos-govt/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by fashoo2010(m): 5:50am On May 20, 2018
Let the drama continue

3 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by updatechange(m): 6:47am On May 20, 2018
okay
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by myners007: 6:48am On May 20, 2018
ok na.Court order to close court

3 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Matherson(m): 6:48am On May 20, 2018
I need to leave Nigeria.

15 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by francotunsco: 6:48am On May 20, 2018
Please. let a lawyer come and explain this in "lay man's terms'!

12 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Sarah20A(f): 6:48am On May 20, 2018
Transmission of confusion undecided

25 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by package7(m): 6:50am On May 20, 2018
I disagree with the Court ruling. ..for crying out loud someone wants to deprive of getting marry.. Omo ko le werk. shocked
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Mac2016(m): 6:50am On May 20, 2018
I didn't understand a thing in this write up... I mean.. Transmission or confusion... ehm.. Sorry sir... But transmission.. Transmission

25 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by idonhammer: 6:51am On May 20, 2018
I see
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by youngbabaj(m): 6:51am On May 20, 2018
have known this before
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by package7(m): 6:51am On May 20, 2018
I disagree with the Court ruling. ..for crying out loud someone wants to deprive me of getting marry.. Omo ko le werk. shocked

1 Like

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Alejoc(m): 6:51am On May 20, 2018
Game up people grin!
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Bantino(m): 6:52am On May 20, 2018
Confusion everywhere...

Today, manhunt for journalist, tomorrow, no manhunt for journalist
Herdsmen kill 100 in Benue, tomorrow, no only 10 were killed
Otedola to run for Governor, tomorrow, Otedola is not running for governor
Transmission video was doctored, no it was a spiritual attack
Buhari flies to London for medical check up, tomorrow, no he is there on official duty
72 APC state chairmen emerge, no it's only 36
etc

Who did this to Nigeria?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by sinkhole: 6:57am On May 20, 2018
Why I even come open this thread self? I read read, I kno fit understand wetin dem dey talk grin

11 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Aystarz: 6:58am On May 20, 2018
Lagos State Government and its insatiable appetite to amass public funds.

20 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by goshen26: 7:00am On May 20, 2018
Lawyers in d house over to u, cos I'm confused

6 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by idris4eva(m): 7:01am On May 20, 2018
This transmission is confusing

3 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Alejoc(m): 7:01am On May 20, 2018
Stop messing with our head people..... What are we to believe now?

5 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by awa(m): 7:02am On May 20, 2018
Issorit, so how does this change the price of garri in the market?

2 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by okc4nairaland: 7:03am On May 20, 2018
All they are fighting for is to monopolise the funds coming from marriage

5 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by OBAGADAFFI: 7:03am On May 20, 2018
Lagos State, should have clarified this before rushing to the press.

Minister to issue licences to places of worship to conduct marriages , and the Registrar under the Marriage Act to register marriage

6 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by alfredfrddy(m): 7:06am On May 20, 2018
Matherson:
I need to leave Nigeria.
Make we go together. I am more tired than you are. Before transmitted disease of transmission go catch person.

5 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by CertifiedFreak(m): 7:09am On May 20, 2018
Simply means Lagos State goofed big time. The court upheld an earlier decision reached in 2002 confirming the powers of the minister of interior to grant marriage licenses and register registries.
According to this write up, the jurisdiction of the Ikoyi registry was never subject to litigation.

5 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Nobody: 7:13am On May 20, 2018
francotunsco:
Please. let a lawyer come and explain this in "lay man's terms'!

I read it three times and couldn’t make head or tails of it.

And I read contracts for a living angry

10 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by oyetunder(m): 7:13am On May 20, 2018
lipsrsealed loopholes everywhere in all our structures-except in our corruption structure. Those who should sit down, deliberate and correct all the mistakes are too lazy for such complex work. Instead, they are collecting unknown salaries and the time they should use to research on issues are for prostitutes.

4 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by seunmsg(m): 7:17am On May 20, 2018
There is really no need to fight over this matter. With a population of 180million, the marriage business can still go round everybody. Lagos state government should stop being greedy. Federal government should do their thing and state governments should do theirs unhindered. There is enough money to be made by everybody from the marriage business.

8 Likes

Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by Authoreety: 7:24am On May 20, 2018
Bbbh
Re: Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. by petuniaevents(f): 7:25am On May 20, 2018
Couples love going to Ikoyi registry oo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kids On Bikini Dancing Sexy With Themself !! What A World.. / Four Siblings Die In Fire Outbreak In Lagos / Disciplining Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.