Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,996 members, 7,799,420 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 (5693 Views)

Acura ZDX, Honda Crosstour And The BMW X5 / Best Engine Oil For Honda Accord EOD 4 Cylinder / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:47am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Are you pulling my leg here?

There's Castrol oil and there is Coastal oil. They are different. They are both just slightly better than junk to me. I use Mobil 1 exclusively in my garage.

I thought u were mixing the two together.. Lost in translation on my part .. I live on the east coast o.. Coastal oil I have not come across it before.. Maybe coz am not looking for it .. But the ones that I see all the time is vavoline , Castrol , quaker oil ..those brands are well advertise on TV
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:51am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Google is not my friend, maybe it's yours.

Some of us create what Google captures in their database.

Castrol is simply low-grade oil. Someone else already said something similar.

Castrol with any of the other oil will work if it has the correct composition that meets the manufacturer's specifications and is of the correct weight. My issue is carrying it as if it's a premium oil. It's not.

But Audi, VW, BMW, Ranger rover do reccomend it .. I guess the manufacture are crazy... me am not understanding again
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 5:04am On May 28, 2018
dru23:
[/b]
But Audi, VW, BMW, Ranger rover do reccomend it .. I guess the manufacture are crazy... me am not understanding again

1) Any manufacturer can RECOMMEND any oil brand.

2) No manufacturer can deny your warranty because you did not use their recommended brand.

The key is as I’ve tried to explain is

1) Composition that manufacturers require. For my MY09 Jetta, VW requires an oil that meets their 502.00

2) weight, such as 0W40

3) change frequency, keep your receipt to prove

Do these things and no manufacturer will deny your claim because you didn’t use their recommended brand.

I’ve met with many factory representatives and this is first hand information.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 5:48am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

1) Any manufacturer can RECOMMEND any oil brand.

2) No manufacturer can deny your warranty because you did not use their recommended brand.

The key is as I’ve tried to explain is

1) Composition that manufacturers require. For my MY09 Jetta, VW requires an oil that meets their 502.00

2) weight, such as 0W40

3) change frequency, keep your receipt to prove

Do these things and no manufacturer will deny your claim because you didn’t use their recommended brand.

I’ve met with many factory representatives and this is first hand information.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://knowhow.napaonline.com/recommended-oil-following-manufacturers-guidance-important/&ved=2ahUKEwj8r6b3zKfbAhXIrFkKHUt5CpUQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2rx5em3bHPo0u-9Rmw-L05
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 6:00am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://knowhow.napaonline.com/recommended-oil-following-manufacturers-guidance-important/&ved=2ahUKEwj8r6b3zKfbAhXIrFkKHUt5CpUQFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2rx5em3bHPo0u-9Rmw-L05

Thank you for that link. It proves what I’ve been saying all night.

Manufacturers can’t mandate a brand.

It’s really easy stuff.

“So when it comes to oil, use any brand that meets the American Petroleum Institute (API) specifications listed in your owner's manual. And when it comes to other replacement fluids, use anything that says it meets Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) requirements.”

https://www.cartalk.com/content/oil-it-ok-use-different-brand-name
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 6:15am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thank you for that link. It proves what I’ve been saying all night.

Manufacturers can’t mandate a brand.

It’s really easy stuff.

“So when it comes to oil, use any brand that meets the American Petroleum Institute (API) specifications listed in your owner's manual. And when it comes to other replacement fluids, use anything that says it meets Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) requirements.”

https://www.cartalk.com/content/oil-it-ok-use-different-brand-name

Yes I do agree with you, u don't have to use the manufacture brand of oil ... but at the same time it also stated the reason you should use the manufacture brand or reccomdated brand
We can agree to disagree.. I prefer to use the manufacture reccomdation. .. Due to the fact that am not good with cars at all ,and I will play it safe by following their advice.. And in most cases the manufacture reccomdation is readily available.. Now if the manufacture reccomdation is not available, I than have the option to use something similar in terms weight and grade etc... in my opinion manufacture reccomdation is and will be readily available.. Worse comes to worse u can order it online.. Like I said before am not a car person.. So I will just go with their advice.. That is my own view anybody else is free to do what they fit pleases them.. And for me personally the more expensive a car is the more I will follow their advice.. For me example if I were to buy a brand new Bentley or rolls royce or any of these super sport cars.. I will for certain follow their advice o, that is non negotiable at all .. To the point that any repairs will be done at the dealership .. Cars are now getting more sophisticated now .. Can't take any chances at all
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:12am On May 28, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
Interesting.

I did a google search on German Adler lubricants a while back but it doesn't seem to have a web presence. There is a company website with product range details etc. but zero mentions of the oil on BMW and Benz user forums undecided. Or have I been looking in the wrong places?

Some of the oils being used by guys in those BMW and Benz forums I don't even see in Nigeria except mobil 1.
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 11:31am On May 28, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Some of the oils being used by guys in those BMW and Benz forums I don't even see in Nigeria except mobil 1.

^^^^
I agree with your last sentence. In some forums I have seen threads about obscure specialty oils that are unfamiliar to even hardened motorheads. The interesting thing is that some of these 'unknown' oils are approved by major motor manufacturers. Some of the key German automakers have (or used to have) online lists of approved oils and some of these oils were made by small boutique manufacturers in all sorts of places around the globe - China etc. Believe it or not - some companies in Nigeria I had never heard of before are API approved licensees with valid licences.

What isn't clear to me is why German Adler (a lubricant supposedly made in Germany) hasn't shown up on any of the Benz, Audi, BMW etc. user forums I have visited. The name 'Adler' is quintessentially German and has some significance to German notions of identity and nationhood. Surely a lubricant company that has adopted this phrase as its brand should show up at least once on user forums for German automobiles grin? Or was the company incorporated yesterday? undecided
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 12:27pm On May 28, 2018
The gentleman marketing US made Castrol on this thread gives a new meaning to the phrase "hard sell". grin. I like his style. grin

I committed the mortal sin of using Nigerian sold Castrol oil (the label stated it was EU manufactured but that was a whole new controversy on its own) and saying so publicly. Because of this I got into a long winded and completely unnecessary debate with another poster on another oil thread. In the rash of recent oil threads on NL, the major selling point of a number of US spec oils is that they are synthetic AND they also meet the viscosity requirements of most of the imported (new and used) cars sold in Nigeria today. But are these US oils really synthetic?

My limited research shows that US oil manufacturers are able to label their oils as synthetic only as a result of a court ruling arising from a trade dispute between Mobil and Castrol (Castrol again! angry) and not because they developed these synthetic oils in a lab from scratch as the Europeans and the Japanese do. So are these US spec oils really special or they are mostly marketing hype?

While there may (and I must stress the argument may) be a strong argument that US spec oils go through stricter regulatory oversight than Nigerian manufactured/blended oils, it is Euro spec oils (as a group), Japanese oils and a few others that truly meet the definition of synthetic (with all the so called advantages accruing to the label).

What has never been fully clear to me is why over the years, no major oil company in Nigeria took advantage of the gap in the market for mineral oils with viscosities of 5W 20, 5W 30, 5W 40 etc. Surely they must have seen the trends? There are thousands of used cars imported from North America into Nigeria annually which require these viscosities and they do not necessarily require synthetic oil with the most recent API rating. A number of car owners in Nigeria who started purchasing synthetic oil a few years ago were boxed into buying Mobil 1 because it was the only locally available oil with the right viscosities - but you had to pay heavily for its synthetic qualities and its high API rating. The truth is that thousands of car owners in Nigeria today do not necessarily need synthetic oils with 'SN' API ratings for their vehicles. They'll do just fine with mineral oil, regularly changed.

2 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 1:46pm On May 28, 2018
VolvoS60:
The gentleman marketing US made Castrol on this thread gives a new meaning to the phrase "hard sell". grin. I like his style. grin

I committed the mortal sin of using Nigerian sold Castrol oil (the label stated it was EU manufactured but that was a whole new controversy on its own) and saying so publicly. Because of this I got into a long winded and completely unnecessary debate with another poster on another oil thread. In the rash of recent oil threads on NL, the major selling point of a number of US spec oils is that they are synthetic AND they also meet the viscosity requirements of most of the imported (new and used) cars sold in Nigeria today. But are these US oils really synthetic?

My limited research shows that US oil manufacturers are able to label their oils as synthetic only as a result of a court ruling arising from a trade dispute [/b]between Mobil and Castrol (Castrol again! angry) and not because they developed these synthetic oils in a lab from scratch as the Europeans and the Japanese do. So are these US spec oils really special or they are mostly marketing hype?

While there may (and I must stress the argument may) be a strong argument that US spec oils go through stricter regulatory oversight than Nigerian manufactured/blended oils, it is Euro spec oils (as a group), Japanese oils and a few others that [b]truly
meet the definition of synthetic (with all the so called advantages accruing to the label).

What has never been fully clear to me is why over the years, no major oil company in Nigeria took advantage of the gap in the market for mineral oils with viscosities of 5W 20, 5W 30, 5W 40 etc. Surely they must have seen the trends? There are thousands of used cars imported from North America into Nigeria annually which require these viscosities and they do not necessarily require synthetic oil with the most recent API rating. A number of car owners in Nigeria who started purchasing synthetic oil a few years ago were boxed into buying Mobil 1 because it was the only locally available oil with the right viscosities - but you had to pay heavily for its synthetic qualities and its high API rating. The truth is that thousands of car owners in Nigeria today do not necessarily need synthetic oils with 'SN' API ratings for their vehicles. They'll do just fine with mineral oil, regularly changed.

To be frank with you .. USA spec Castrol full synethic oil is not very profitable for me to sell.. The reason is that the price that am willing to sell can't be the same as Mobil oil 1 . Am trying to make it affordable for people... I should have kept my mouth shut and just focus on mobil 1 ...I was only trying to offer a better alternatives for people that can't afford USA spec Mobil 1. Me personally Castrol is for good for regular cars ,while mobil 1 is good for high end cars. I can't sell a product that me myself can't use .. So let us clear that up.
And my conclusion to castrol is not only the price and value you get for your money.. But the great reviews it got from users of the product.. Now if you are reading a product review and out 300 people gave the product 4out of 5stars , wouldn't you take that into consideration before buying the product... next time I will keep my mouth shut and not give people alternatives . This is the same person that gave alternative to people to try elantra since corolla is very expensive.. As a matter of fact friend of mine blames me for the cost of elantras going up.. He said I made people aware of it.. This is a guy that buys cars for people.. That is why will tell you to in an old proverb ,you should always cover you pot , nobody needs to know what you are cooking...
In terms of your hype accusations... I don't go by it ,you keep forgetting that has more and more engines are high tech.. You will need better oil for them.. Your statement has no merit at all. Would you advice people to use mineral oil on a brand new car ,or use it on a G wagon or Bentley or better yet maybe we should mineral oil on a rolls royce now .. You are speaking really out of terms bro .. The benefits of synethic oil is more than the mineral oil bro .. I will rather take advice from the pros that built these cars .. Than somebody that is not in the field.. Your statement is very ill advise

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by timifakay(m): 11:55pm On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
For anyone that is serious about learning about oil please go to https://www.bobistheoilguy.com, not Google.

Thanks for sharing sir.
Thanks alot.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 12:25am On May 29, 2018
timifakay:

Thanks for sharing sir.
Thanks alot.

You’re welcome Sir

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:26am On May 29, 2018
Available 08033910382

Lagos mainland.

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by timifakay(m): 12:43am On May 29, 2018
dru23:

This is issue with Nigerians we tend not to follow directions.. If the manufacture advice that castrol oil is recommended, why use something else bro .. In the states if you go against the manufacture advice, and the engine develop faults , the warranty will not cover it.. Are u telling me u know better than the car manufacturers? Smh ...

Sir, manufacturer specification and manufacturer recommendation are 2 different things.
Recommendation is negotiable
Specification is non negotiable.
If you use the wrong specification from the recommended brand - you are at risk; right specification from a brand that's not recommended - no risk.

Specification.
Recommendation.

4 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:14am On May 29, 2018
timifakay:

Sir, manufacturer specification and manufacturer recommendation are 2 different things.
Recommendation is negotiable
Specification is non negotiable.
If you use the wrong specification from the recommended brand - you are at risk; right specification from a brand that's not recommended - no risk.

Specification.
Recommendation.

Maybe I didn't clearly clarify the two.. Bottom line to be on the safe side, people should follow either the manufacture advice or recommendation or specifications , either way Nigerians rarely do any of the above mentioned.. Look at Lagos transport system.. That was a waste of money and time .most of the buses are no longer working.. We all know why..

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by timifakay(m): 6:37am On May 29, 2018
dru23:

Maybe I didn't clearly clarify the two.. Bottom line to be on the safe side, people should follow either the manufacture advice or recommendation or specifications , either way Nigerians rarely do any of the above mentioned.. Look at Lagos transport system.. That was a waste of money and time .most of the buses are no longer working.. We all know why..

To clarify, first you gotta understand. I think that's where the problem lies.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 6:49am On May 29, 2018
timifakay:

I gave up embarassed

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by AutoElectNG: 7:57am On May 29, 2018
VolvoS60:

My limited research shows that US oil manufacturers are able to label their oils as synthetic only as a result of a court ruling arising from a trade dispute between Mobil and Castrol (Castrol again! angry) and not because they developed these synthetic oils in a lab from scratch as the Europeans and the Japanese do. So are these US spec oils really special or they are mostly marketing hype?

While there may (and I must stress the argument may) be a strong argument that US spec oils go through stricter regulatory oversight than Nigerian manufactured/blended oils, it is Euro spec oils (as a group) and perhaps Japanese oils that truly meet the definition of synthetic (with all the so called advantages accruing to the label).

I advocate correct viscosity and not synthetic.

I only advocate synthetics for those wanting long OCIs and a couple of other advantages.

You have done your homework boy

You have earned your stripes
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 11:47am On May 29, 2018
timifakay:

It is not how the message is delivered.. But did you get the message? That matters
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 12:01pm On May 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I gave up embarassed

You gave up ? You better off giving up selling coastguard or coastal oil of yours in Ibadan bro ..you bring coastguard of oil to market, nobody go tell you say the oil no dey move market bro ..na you go carry am go back to California with your two hands grin
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 29, 2018
Please let the record show that I do not sell nor recommend Coastal engine oil or lubricants.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 6:12pm On May 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

I only advocate synthetics for those wanting long OCIs and a couple of other advantages.

^^^
Exactly.

I run synthetics in my vehicle for precisely the reason you listed above - long OCIs and I run my vehicles for several years - sometimes till they die. It might not make sense for a vehicle user to run synthetics in a very high mileage vehicle with short OCIs - and if the owner intends to sell off the vehicle in a couple of years.

I try to do my homework wink. Its all part of being an educated consumer - there's always something new to learn each day and you can never know it all. I only wish I was still a boy with the energy of youth grin. I'll give you an idea of how long I've been around: I can still remember the coup speech announcing your current president as head of state during his first coming in the 80s... wink
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:09pm On May 29, 2018
AutoElectNG:

sho mo age e ni? Better go and dobale kia kia grin
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:10pm On May 29, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
Exactly.

I run synthetics in my vehicle for precisely the reason you listed above - long OCIs and I run my vehicles for several years - sometimes till they die. It might not make sense for a vehicle user to run synthetics in a very high mileage vehicle with short OCIs - and if the owner intends to sell off the vehicle in a couple of years.

I try to do my homework wink. Its all part of being an educated consumer - there's always something new to learn each day and you can never know it all. I only wish I was still a boy with the energy of a youth grin. I'll give you an idea of how long I've been around: I can still remember the coup speech announcing your current president as head of state during his first coming in the 80s... wink

Uncle ancestor emabinu si omo yen grin

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 8:21pm On May 29, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Uncle ancestor emabinu si omo yen grin

^^^
grin

U mu du bawun

Translation: I have forgiven him... grin

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by AutoElectNG: 9:32pm On May 29, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
Exactly.

I try to do my homework wink. Its all part of being an educated consumer - there's always something new to learn each day and you can never know it all. I only wish I was still a boy with the energy of a youth grin. I'll give you an idea of how long I've been around: I can still remember the coup speech announcing your current president as head of state during his first coming in the 80s... wink

Used the word "BOY" with a sense of excitement, admiration, and respect and in no way in an attempt to denigrate.

It continues to be a pleasure to read from you.

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by thebigkendo(m): 9:50pm On May 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Are you pulling my leg here?

There's Castrol oil and there is Coastal oil. They are different. They are both just slightly better than junk to me. I use Mobil 1 exclusively in my garage.

grin grin grin
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by thebigkendo(m): 10:04pm On May 29, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
Exactly.

Alagba!!!!

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by timifakay(m): 7:36am On May 30, 2018
dru23:

It is not how the message is delivered.. But did you get the message? That matters

No, it's what you type we read, not what was on your mind.

2 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 8:35am On May 30, 2018
timifakay:

No, it's what you type we read, not what was on your mind.

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 12:05pm On May 30, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Used the word "BOY" with a sense of excitement, admiration, and respect and in no way in an attempt to denigrate.

It continues to be a pleasure to read from you.

^^^
grin

Its all good.

I'm learning from you with each post
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 8:17am On May 31, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Please let the record show that I do not sell nor recommend Coastal engine oil or lubricants.

Thanks.

Haha but you use it now.. So you can't recommend products that you use ? ....you are naughty boy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Method To kw Oil And Oil Filter change is due / Is Benz E350 Wise For A First Time Driver? / Toyota Corrolla Verso Or Toyota Matrix?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.