Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? (18232 Views)

Mosques And Churches To Reopen In Lagos On August 7 & 9 Respectively / Queen Of CYON Lagos Archdiocese: Right For Churches To Organize Beauty Pageants? / Pastor Enenche Blasts Critics Asking Churches To Build Industries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 8:03am On May 20, 2018
This trend has been going on for years in Catholic churches but one can only look aside on any thing pertaining Roman catholic idealogies of their long aged magnitude of haphazard kind of worship.
But recently Redeemed churches too joined the age lond trend and the occassion is a sight to behold seeing different people with cultural attires displaying all manner of antics in church.
A man even demonstrated some usage of charms and herbs on stage citing it as a cultural believe before christianity and at the end cultural dance was exhibited by various groups.

My question is,"where has some of these churches lost it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by dajoaneke(m): 8:28am On May 20, 2018
Yes I believe it's a good way to remove the immorally acceptable norm in culture and tradition of a people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by UAE123(m): 8:38am On May 20, 2018
First of all @ OP, The Catholic way of worship is "haphazard" as you claim, so please note this correction. To your topic, cultural celebration in the Church is very ideal & good because each & everyone of use Nigerians has a tribe & all tribes has its own uniqueness. We should all be proud to celebrate our culture in all place in as much as that culture is not glorifying Satan.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Samsimple(m): 8:49am On May 20, 2018
I tire 4 Nigeria church ushers person no fit sleep 4 e papa house again

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Gullah: 9:07am On May 20, 2018
There's nothing wrong with it

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 9:27am On May 20, 2018
UAE123:
First of all @ OP, The Catholic way of worship is "haphazard" as you claim, so please note this correction. To your topic, cultural celebration in the Church is very ideal & good because each & everyone of use Nigerians has a tribe & all tribes has its own uniqueness. We should all be proud to celebrate our culture in all place in as much as that culture is not glorifying Satan.
But this culture u advice us to be proud of includes conjuring some idol demons.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by NwaAmaikpe: 9:38am On May 20, 2018
shocked

Yes it is,
It actually shows that we are thanking God for our diversity. We first had culture before we even became Christians. Christianity does not erase our culture, instead it validates them.

My church even takes it further,
On our cultural day, you are either expected to come with your native food, dress like your village's masquerade or bring a charm.

As long as it is to the glory of God, it doesn't matter.
(1 Cor. 10: 26-31).

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by MrAnele(m): 9:38am On May 20, 2018

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Sarang(f): 9:39am On May 20, 2018
NO!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by swiz123(m): 9:39am On May 20, 2018
This trend has been going on for years in Catholic churches but one can only look aside on any thing pertaining Roman catholic idealogies of their long aged magnitude of haphazard kind of worship.

Why would a mod move this piece of trash to front page.

The op was clearly insulting Catholics and the mods validated it by moving it to front page.If the diabolical church you attend wear weird clothes and display charms, please note that catholics don't do it.

If I were to insult or rather say some ugly truths about Islam, would the mods push it to front page? ;heck! I might even been given 3 months ban.

Mynd44 take note of this.

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by cosmatika(m): 9:39am On May 20, 2018
Yes. I'll give u reasons after Church service today

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Emmyziski(m): 9:40am On May 20, 2018
Be asking irrelevant questions.
Is it right for Buhari to contest for second term?
If your answer is no,
GO GET YOUR PVC sad sad sad
yeyerolling:
to vote who. atiku abi. U are mad
Did I ever endorse any political aspirant here?
Social media has done people like you the favor of being stupid without identity.
Fire on bro!!!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by martineverest(m): 9:40am On May 20, 2018
ask urself this question:is it right to have white wedding in church?

white wedding is a culture of Europeans , usually done in church....then appreciating out culture in church isn't wrong...

btw,did Bible ask us to dress in European attire only?

23 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by maticdamian(m): 9:40am On May 20, 2018
Don't ask me am a Nonreligious believer
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Deltayankeeboi: 9:40am On May 20, 2018
Sarang:
NO!
says who?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by HeyCorleone(m): 9:41am On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:

What exactly is that statement supposed to mean?

Haphazard kind of worship?

No. It's just plain wrong. Because you don't understand something doesn't make it "haphazard". Do not just judge from the outside. Have you ever attended a single Catholic mass in your life.

I was once attending Redeem but I went to the Catholic church once and never went back. I was awed.

At least in the Catholic Church there is no stress on tithing and other mundane form of extortion to enrich the Priest like in Redeem.

And what is the issue with cultural day? Have you no culture? What is bad if the church decides to promote culture?

One unique thing about the Catholic church is they always try to fuse or highlight the culture of the people with whom they reside. If that is what you term as "magnitude haphazard kind of worship", then I can only pay that one say you come to your senses and realise the grave error you committed by the statement.

Funny thing is the one-man-business Pentecostal churches keeps fighting the Catholic church and never get a reply. That speaks volume. Like when Christ admonished us to turn the other cheek.

In my church on cultural day everyone is expected to dress in their cultural attire. Certain hymns are rendered in various native tongues. Then, at times, there is a minifeast after mass with people identifying by their culture.

If you or your Pentecostal pastors think there's a problem with that then you all are mentally deranged.

So "we have lost it" by choosing to celebrate our culture?

It is mental slaves like you that the white man likes. I bet you bear 2 English names and have never been to your village. But you would want to have an English wedding even tho it has no place in the Bible and is purely a European thing? Smh. People like you are the reasons why Africa won't grow. You feel being developed means doing away with your culture but that very thing can seriously hinder development. Why do you think Asians are getting it right?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. Because you're a born again Pentecostal doesn't mean you sacrifice commonsense on the altar of pleasing your pastor.

97 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by computer0810(m): 9:41am On May 20, 2018
it is right,d fact that we r Christians does not mean we should forget our source

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by dfrost: 9:41am On May 20, 2018
cheesy grin

This question deserves an ugly truth. So that angel of the ugly truth should speak up else forever remain silent.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by constant1960: 9:41am On May 20, 2018
OP is a good ideal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Okuchris(f): 9:41am On May 20, 2018
interesting topic.
want to know too

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:42am On May 20, 2018
HeyCorleone:

What exactly is that statement supposed to mean?

Haphazard kind of worship?

No. It's just plain wrong. Because you don't understand something doesn't make it "haphazard". Do not just judge from the outside. Have you ever attended a single Catholic mass in your life.

I was once attending Redeem but I went to the Catholic church once and never went back. I was awed.

At least in the Catholic Church there is no stress on tithing and other mundane form of extortion to enrich the Priest like in Redeem.

And what is the issue with cultural day? Have you no culture? What is bad if the church decides to promote culture?

One unique thing about the Catholic church is they always try to fuse or highlight the culture of the people with whom they reside. If that is what you term as "magnitude haphazard kind of worship", then I can only pay that one say you come to your senses and realise the grave error you committed by the statement.

Funny thing is the one-man-business Pentecostal churches
keeps fighting the Catholic church and never get a reply. That speaks volume. Like when Christ admonished us to turn the other cheek.

In my church on cultural day everyone is expected to dress in their cultural attire. Certain hymns are rendered in various native tongues. Then, at times, there is a minifeast after mass with people identifying by their culture.

If you or your Pentecostal pastors think there's a problem with that then you all are mentally deranged.

So "we have lost it" by choosing to celebrate our culture?

It is mental slaves like you that the white man likes. I bet you bear 2 English names and have never been to your village. But you would want to have an English wedding even tho it has no place in the Bible and is purely a European thing? Smh. People like you are the reasons why Africa won't grow.
You feel being developed means doing away with your culture but that very thing can seriously hinder development. Why do you think Asians are getting it right?

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
Because you're a born again Pentecostal doesn't mean you sacrifice commonsense on the altar of pleasing your pastor.

OH.... THE IRONY.
WANTED TO PASS BUT.. COULDN'T RESIST.

- THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COLLECTS TITHE.
- THE CATHOLIC CHURCH COLLECT OFFERINGS EVERY SUNDAY, YOU'LL HEAR THINGS LIKE FIRST COLLECTION, SECOND COLLECTION, THIRD COLLECTION.. AND SOMETIMES "SPECIAL COLLECTION". ALL THIS DURING A SINGLE MASS. THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DOESN'T COME OUT STRAIGHT TO DEMAND FOR COINS BUT USES SUPREME TECHNIQUES TO EXTORT IT'S MEMBERS.

- YOU MUST REALLY BE A CHILD TO THINK THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT A ONE-MAN BUSINESS. ALL THE CATHOLIC CHURCHES IN THE WORLD SENDS MOST OF THEIR MONEY MONTHLY/YEARLY TO ROME. OR HAVEN'T YOU HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT "TARGET"?
THE CHURCHES ARE MANDATED TO MEET THIS OR THAT TARGET MONTHLY.. THAT'S WHY THEY'RE ALWAYS DEMANDING THIS AND THAT OFFERINGS UP TO FOUR COLLECTIONS PER MASS. AT THE END THEY SEND ALL THE MONEY TO THE DIOCESE.. THEN TO ROME THROUGH THE APPROPRIATE CHANNEL.

THIS IS ORGANIZED SLAVERY. BLACK MAN SENDING MONEY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHITEMANS VATICAN CITY... WHILE OUR OWN LANDS STAY POOR... IN THE NAME OF RELIGION. RUMOR HAS IT THAT THE VALUE OF GOLD IN THE VATICAN IS ENOUGH TO FEED THE ENTIRE AFRICAN CONTINENT FOR A CENTURY.

YOU FAILED AT PAINTING PENTECOSTAL PEOPLE BAD, WHATEVER THEY DO WAS BORROWED FROM YOUR BELOVED CATHOLIC CHURCH.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by HeyCorleone(m): 9:43am On May 20, 2018
Lilisticlili:

At times I wonder if mods even read stuff before pushing it to front page because if they do certain posts would even be deleted.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by ekensi01: 9:43am On May 20, 2018
Don't be equally yoked together with unbelievers
What fellowship do light and darkness have. 2cor 6vs14

That's the Bible
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Jamiubond009(m): 9:43am On May 20, 2018
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 20, 2018
so called churches and their hypocrisy!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Okuchris(f): 9:44am On May 20, 2018
Samsimple:
I tire 4 Nigeria church ushers person no fit sleep 4 e papa house again
its meant for worship and not for sleep
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Greatzeus(m): 9:44am On May 20, 2018
Culture is simply a way of way. What you do the same way everyday is your culture of doing that stuff. So churches can celebrate good,godly cultures to imbibe in it's members sense of morality, responsibility,virtue etc.
Unfortunately in Africa,when we hear culture,we think of masquerade,juju and palm wine lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 9:45am On May 20, 2018
Emmyziski:
Be asking irrelevant questions?
Is it right for Buhari to contest for second term?
If your answer is no,
GO GET YOUR PVC sad sad sad
to vote who. atiku abi. U are mad

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Nobody: 9:45am On May 20, 2018
There is nothing wrong with it. The headquarters of the catholic church is not where it is founded. Going by your logic, all the European culture that has become part of church doctrine is sinful because it is not Jewish culture.

Christianity borrows from the culture of the land of its followers. Most of what you practice as a christian is European culture, if you're orthodox; or American Evangelistic culture, if you are a Pentecostal believer.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Celebrate Cultural Day In Church? by Jamiubond009(m): 9:46am On May 20, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your Pastor Is Not Your Daddy - Reno Omokri (pic) / Is It A Sin When You Don’t Go To Church On Sunday? / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.