Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,495 members, 7,781,482 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:18 PM

What Makes You A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Makes You A Christian? (5888 Views)

Praying, Worship Or Praises, Which Makes You Feel Closer to God? / Female Pastor: Eating Draw Soup Makes You Accessible For Kingdom Of Darkness / "If Paying Tithes Makes You Rich, Bill Gates, Zuckerberg Would've Been Poor" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes You A Christian? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:43pm On May 20, 2018
Written by Brother Inioribo Tamunotonye @Tonyebarcanista

Wrong Perception
We live in an age where Christianity has become bastardized and relegated to mere religiosity. An age where people proclaim themselves to be Christians and are proclaimed as such by virtue of parentage or place of birth. This negative branding of Christianity has in no small way contributed to the improper perception of Christianity. The Christian faith, which is ideally meant to reflect way of life to the faithfuls has been reduced to mere religion and title that has no distinctive feature beyond nomenclature.

What Makes One A Christian
Christianity is about living Christlike, and living Christlike is about living according to the dictate and commandments of Christ. It is about accepting and loving Jesus Christ by keeping HIS commandments. You can't claim to be a Christian without displaying love for Jesus Christ and you can't say you love Jesus Christ without keeping his commandments. For He says in his word in John 14:15;

"If you love me, keep my commandments"

Characteristics of A Christian
1. Proclamation of the superiority of God and belief in Jesus Christ in words and in conduct.

2. Showing unconditional love towards Jesus Christ by being compassionate to the downtrodden:

"And the King will say, I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!" (Matthew 25:40)

The "brothers and sisters" in this context refers to people that are in need irrespective of their faith, character or attitude. The poor, downtrodden, the prisoner, the prostitute, thieves, criminals etc.

3. Show of unconditional love and forgiveness even to enemies and oppressors:

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44)

In fact, Jesus went further to say that when we are slapped we should turn the other cheek (meaning, we should not take to self help when oppressed)

As "insane" as this may sound, it is a key attribute that endeared unbelievers to Christ during the persecution of the early Christians by the Roman empire.

It is important to note that vengeance is not the job of Christians but of the Lord.

4. Love for Humanity and giving cheerfully to people in need

5. Living Exemplary Life:
"Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your father which is in Heaven" (Matthew 5:16)

Christians living in this world filled with temptations and immorality are expected to bring glory to God by leading a lifestyle worthy of emulation, which reflects the life of Christ.

Jesus Christ, the perfect example came to this world to reconcile man with God and lead man to the original path as purposed by God in the beginning before the fall of man. The early believers earned the title "Christians" due to their exemplary behavior and conduct that were in accordance with the lifestyle and dictate of Christ.

As a Christian, it is expected of us to honor God with our words and keep His Commandments. It is our job to conduct ourselves in ways that bring glory and adoration to Jesus Christ. This is what makes you a Christian, it is what makes us Christians.

May God give us the grace to follow His Path and be His true Ambassadors... Amen

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by CarlosTheJackal: 12:51pm On May 20, 2018
A good Christian needs to stand and believe in what is right and not in

2014: Supported Buhari like a Zealot

2015: Supported Gen because he might share the money

2015: Supported IPOB

2016 Supported Lower Niger Congress

Dec 2016: Supported One Nigeria.

Jan 2017: Supported Dankwambo for President under PDP

March 2017 : Left PDP and called them gathering of crooks and vowed never to go back there again.

Aug 2017: Supported APDA a new political party and was the spokesman and shadow youth president .

December 2017: Romanced Tinubu to join them but Pas I ng shot and Seumsg were already under the table eating the crumbs there so no space.

Jan 2018: Returned back to PDP and became a shadow youth spokesman.

March 2018: Starts Supporting Makarfi with same zeal he supported others and making us believe he is a GOOD CHRISTIAN.

TONYE, I'm a GOOD Christian but I can't be your type of Christian

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:55pm On May 20, 2018
You are welcome Mr CarlosTheJackal
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by CarlosTheJackal: 1:08pm On May 20, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
You are welcome Mr CarlosTheJackal
calm down and read. We still friends but stop using *Brother* to give yourself a good Christian tag

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by internationalman(m): 1:21pm On May 20, 2018
thank God you said nothing about church
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by internationalman(m): 1:21pm On May 20, 2018
thank God you said nothing about going to church

2 Likes

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:28pm On May 20, 2018
CarlosTheJackal:
calm down and read. We still friends but stop using *Brother* to give yourself a good Christian tag
Irrespective of whatever title we possess or assign to ourselves, we are all brothers (and sisters) in Christ.
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:33pm On May 20, 2018
[s]
CarlosTheJackal:

March 2017 : Left PDP and called them gathering of crooks and vowed never to go back there again.

Aug 2017: Supported APDA a new political party and was the spokesman and shadow youth president .

December 2017: Romanced Tinubu to join them but Pas I ng shot and Seumsg were already under the table eating the crumbs there so no space.

March 2018: Starts Supporting Makarfi with same zeal he supported others and making us believe he is a GOOD CHRISTIAN.

[/s]
I see a pained soul and troll but being a believer I will only overlook and pray for you.

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by bennyann: 5:29pm On May 20, 2018
Please, no one should turn this into a political quagmire.

Is today Sunday? I'm wondering cos the front page materials doesn't reflect it. What's happening?

Lalasticlala, are you in Nigeria at all?

OAM4J what's happening?

Seun, has it gotten to this level?

2 Likes

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by sonofthunder: 12:20am On May 21, 2018
bennyann:
Please, no one should turn this into a political quagmire.

Is today Sunday? I'm wondering cos the front page materials doesn't reflect it. What's happening?

Lalasticlala, are you in Nigeria at all?

OAM4J what's happening?

Seun, has it gotten to this level?
help me ask them
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by Kelamma(m): 6:05am On May 21, 2018
It is the humanity in you that makes one a christian and not the congregation you belong to, how many bible verses you can quote, or speaking in tongues. Remember, the greatest commandment of all is love your neighbour as you love yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by Azazi(m): 6:06am On May 21, 2018
On a Monday morning bah
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by Nobody: 6:08am On May 21, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
Written by Brother Inioribo Tamunotonye @Tonyebarcanista

Wrong Perception
We live in an age where Christianity has become bastardized and relegated to mere religiosity. An age where people proclaim themselves to be Christians and are proclaimed as such by virtue of parentage or place of birth. This negative branding of Christianity has in no small way contributed to the improper perception of Christianity. The Christian faith, which is ideally meant to reflect way of life to the faithfuls has been reduced to mere religion and title that has no distinctive feature beyond nomenclature.

What Makes One A Christian
Christianity is about living Christlike, and living Christlike is about living according to the dictate and commandments of Christ. It is about accepting and loving Jesus Christ by keeping HIS commandments. You can't claim to be a Christian without displaying love for Jesus Christ and you can't say you love Jesus Christ without keeping his commandments. For He says in his word in John 14:15;

"If you love me, keep my commandments"

Characteristics of A Christian
1. Proclamation of the superiority of God and belief in Jesus Christ in words and in conduct.

2. Showing unconditional love towards Jesus Christ by being compassionate to the downtrodden:

"And the King will say, I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!" (Matthew 25:40)

The "brothers and sisters" in this context refers to people that are in need irrespective of their faith, character or attitude. The poor, downtrodden, the prisoner, the prostitute, thieves, criminals etc.

3. Show of unconditional love and forgiveness even to enemies and oppressors:

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44)

In fact, Jesus went further to say that when we are slapped we should turn the other cheek (meaning, we should not take to self help when oppressed)

As "insane" as this may sound, it is a key attribute that endeared unbelievers to Christ during the persecution of the early Christians by the Roman empire.

It is important to note that vengeance is not the job of Christians but of the Lord.

4. Love for Humanity and giving cheerfully to people in need

5. Living Exemplary Life:
"Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your father which is in Heaven" (Matthew 5:16)

Christians living in this world filled with temptations and immorality are expected to bring glory to God by leading a lifestyle worthy of emulation, which reflects the life of Christ.

Jesus Christ, the perfect example came to this world to reconcile man with God and lead man to the original path as purposed by God in the beginning before the fall of man. The early believers earned the title "Christians" due to their exemplary behavior and conduct that were in accordance with the lifestyle and dictate of Christ.

As a Christian, it is expected of us to honor God with our words and keep His Commandments. It is our job to conduct ourselves in ways that bring glory and adoration to Jesus Christ. This is what makes you a Christian, it is what makes us Christians.

May God give us the grace to follow His Path and be His true Ambassadors... Amen

How can you have both South South and South West name? Odd combination if you ask me.. Tamuno Tonye!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by ollah2: 6:12am On May 21, 2018
shocked

For Monday morning?? Guess a new born again mod is in town
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by NothingDoMe: 6:15am On May 21, 2018
What in tarnations is going on?!
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by NothingDoMe: 6:16am On May 21, 2018
Arondizuogu:

How can you have both South South and South West name? Odd combination if you ask me.. Tamuno Tonye!!!!!!!!!!!
What are you saying? Are you sure you are a Nigerian?
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by allanphash7(m): 6:18am On May 21, 2018
Tonye forming to be Reno
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by AtYourCervix: 6:20am On May 21, 2018
Christians should answer the question in the below post to see if they've been Christlike or they just pick and chose what's Christlike and discard Jesus commandments they don't agree with

Peruse the below post

HardMirror:
Luke 14:12-14 New International Version (NIV)

12 Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

This is an express command from Jesus christ himself, it is not a metaphor, this is clear and express. Jesus did not mix words here. Yet it is a commandment almost no christian practices. Why?

As a Christian do you practice the above? how many Christians do you know that hearken to the above instructions?

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by HARDDON: 6:24am On May 21, 2018
Coupled with all you've said OP,

1. Being Christians endows us the ability to control the affairs of life generally. It grants us the right to absolute freedom, riches, honour, strength, power etc.

2. It affords us the rare privilege of living above all that thus the earth beset ( sicknesses, diseases, evil occurrences, poverty and untimely death). For darkness cannot comprehend nor inhibit light .we are sitted far above principalities and powers....

3. It grants us the sole right to execute judgement on unrepentant wicked ones and become touch nots

4. We live a life of signs and wonders

However, for lack of knowledge, a lot of Christians suffer from all that Christ has paid for on our behalf.
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by ruggedmallaam(m): 6:31am On May 21, 2018
is today sunday?
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by sexdoll: 6:31am On May 21, 2018
CarlosTheJackal:

sir, we talking christianity here not politics. wink

1 Like

Re: What Makes You A Christian? by ItzBIM(m): 6:40am On May 21, 2018
Going to church !
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by Dam5reey(m): 6:48am On May 21, 2018
Its simple,

You follow Christ !
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by AbuMikey(m): 6:48am On May 21, 2018
I'm not a Christian.
I'm a nonreligious theist, and super proud of it.
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by Afec1000givers: 6:49am On May 21, 2018
benniali:
Anyone know more about
www.Donnieallen. and his betting tips and if they really are fail proof?
They are criminals, they'll block you once you are given a failed game. betting is not a good way to raise fund.
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by AtYourCervix: 6:56am On May 21, 2018
AbuMikey:
I'm not a Christian.
Care to share what makes you so proud of being an irreligious theist?
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by victoroo: 6:57am On May 21, 2018
Good one sir tell them
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by HardMirror(m): 7:05am On May 21, 2018
AtYourCervix:
Christians should answer the question in the below post to see if they've been Christlike or they just pick and chose what's Christlike and discard Jesus commandments they don't agree with

Peruse the below post

As a Christian do you practice the above? how many Christians do you know that hearken to the above instructions?
dont bother those whitewashed-graves wont answer you. They want to be seen as world changers but they are nothing but money worshippers
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by MuttleyLaff: 7:06am On May 21, 2018
AbuMikey:
I'm not a Christian
Good

AbuMikey:
You need to be and start being religious though
You need that religious characteristic that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless
Its a game changer AbuMikey
Re: What Makes You A Christian? by spdamibiz: 7:18am On May 21, 2018
AbuMikey:
I'm not a Christian.

beleiving that God exist doesnot mean God is pleased with you, Only those who beleives in the holy trinity can get to the father, you get to the father through the son, And that is what christainity is about

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Catholic Pope To Be Charged To Court (ICC, Hague) For Crimes Against Humanity! / Is Epilepsy Spiritual? / Picture Collections That Christians Would Not Want You To See.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.