Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,082 members, 7,807,240 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! (4035 Views)

6 Keys to Success in Setting Up Your Small Business / Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress / Bodybuilding Supplements (shipment To Nigeria) Advice Or Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 3:01pm On May 25, 2010
Dear All:

A UK charity is planning on setting up in Nigeria.

What are the legal frameworks that must be met?

Please advice.

Many Thanks,

K

PS: This is real. Only genuine commentators please!
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by emmanuel93(m): 3:12pm On May 25, 2010
its very easy K,
Im places like lagos with such an AMAIZING governor and administration, going to the government for support will always help. The govenment will ususally help charities in their development process. NIGERIA NEEDS CHARITIES so your contribution will be aknowledged and appreciated by the Lagosian Governor who is an amaizing man and is very westernised in thinking. Unlike many leading Nigerian politicians, He is in the job to help Nigeria grow and not for the money.

My sister actually started a charity in nigeria and with his help, the charity is very much in great shape. He contributed N2m to it. Though that is little, every little helps and many other governments wont. Now she has a manager there and two social workers working there. She actually has a family here in London so only occasionally travels to Nigeria. You would be wise to follow her footsteps, the lagosian government are quite nice people, lol
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 3:26pm On May 25, 2010
Thanks Emmanuel93.

How do we get in touch with him? Perhaps we can schedule a meeting in London with the Charity directly. I am currently in Nigeria at the moment, but can make neccessary arrangements.

Not really concerned about financial contributions but more the legal requirements to make such a thing happen in order that the organization can have a soft landing.

In the future can you email me any confidential details on ken.okolo@engage-skills.com

Cheers,

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by emmanuel93(m): 8:09pm On May 25, 2010
well our family actually had links in the government. However, You can book a meeting with one of the government associates very easily. BUT!, you have to be very organised. ensure that you have a business plan, done market research, DONE EVERYTHING! if not, they wont take you seriously. It will also help if you have past expirence with a charity or social work. But if everything is in order, you can definately get government contact detalis from ANYWHERE, even the internet.

Obviously, you wont get straight to the govenor, but one of the associates will help. You can probably book a meeting with someone or something like that. HOPE IT HELPED! AND GOODLUCK WITH YOUR CHARITY!!! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 8:36am On May 26, 2010
Thanks Emmanuel for the advice!!!
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by jamesyins(m): 11:52am On May 26, 2010
Very encouraging and well done guys, we need better and good charities in Nigeria.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by zebra543: 5:17pm On May 26, 2010
it not difficult as long as you have a good pr plan, charities are easy to set up if you have many friends
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 5:21pm On May 26, 2010
Hi Zebra:

Thanks for your comment. Can you clarify what you meant by "many friends"? Specifically how that can help the setting up of a charity in Nigeria.

Cheers,

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by EmmyBoy2(m): 10:15pm On May 28, 2010
I think for starters, you need to have your Charity duly registered at the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Since its a Charity, I believe its non-profit making so it has to be registered under Part C
i.e. for NGO's. As soon as you are duly incorporated, then you can begin to work out a business plan etc
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 2:21pm On May 29, 2010
Thanks Emmy Boy!
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by ayo84(m): 9:53am On May 30, 2010
that's a very good idea,a lot of charities thrive abroad,they are formed with the sole aim of helping the under priviledged ,and in nigeria, there are a lot of problems that need solutions,thousands of children roam the streets hawking items, these kids need an education,millions of jobless youths looking for jobs, so many people dont eve have money to afford quality health care services , i think you should start one asap,but you should have one that touches on the lives of the common nigerian , you know a lot of people open some of these so called charities to make money, they don't even channel these funds they get to the people that really need them, i
wud advise that you incorporate and get a well designed website,i cud even do that for you, then also,have a good PR campaign, both offline and online, they more you allow the world to see the good you are doing, the more people will lend you support,ans also try addig online donation tools to your website,so that even people abroad can donate money to your charity online and even anonymously
dutonialmx@gmail.com
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 10:12am On May 30, 2010
Hey Ayo:

Thanks very much for your advice. It is a very strong charity based in Tower Hamlets in London and running quality educational programmes for young people accros London and in more recent times in several cities in the UK. I actually worked for them as a project coordinator in London for about 2 years so I know first hand the impact that their work can have on the young people. I think a key aspect of my work with this charity here will be transparency and genuine interest in helping young people in Nigeria. I will email you a list of some of the courses we will be churning out as soon as we start.

Thanks for your encouraging words once again. I will keep you posted.

Kind Regards,

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 31, 2010
We dont need your charity in Africa,you continue to decive us ,you an entreprenur ,using Africa as a source.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 6:21pm On May 31, 2010
Wow Ayo!

I thought about your post for quite a while in terms of what to say in reply and I concluded well maybe it doesn't really deserve a reply.

Have a good day.

Ken

PS: Just so you know the courses will be run for free for young people.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by BizCoachC(m): 9:41pm On May 31, 2010
Since your main interest for now is more about the legal angle, your first port of call is the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). However, one of the hurdles of registration is that the Charity needs an office address. It might be better for you to hand over the CAC issue to a lawyer experienced in that area. I wish you the best!
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 8:22pm On Jun 01, 2010
Thanks BizCoach! That seems to be the general feeling that I would need a lawyer. I will be contacting one shortly who helped to set up the Nigerian office of a UK university.

Thanks very much for your very kind assistance!

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by nat138: 1:41am On Jun 02, 2010
Hi,
Well guess all have been said already about the setting up, where do you intend to set it up? in Lagos? Well let me know cos if it is in Abuja, I could give you a contact of someone in CAC who will do it for you. It doesn't take much time. But ensure you do everything appropriately, do not get into shady deals with people. Also there is a wide range of NGOs that the charity could partner with. Then finally, you will be surprised to know that there are lots of youths who are willing to volunteer.
All the best in setting up.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by PASTEE: 4:50am On Jun 02, 2010
Much had been said you can still contact INDEPENDENT RESEARCHERS ON YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AND NATION BUILDING for ground work it is an NGO that could help you in detailed preparation and other information you can fin out more by just typing the name in any search engine i.e google.com or call +2348055136914
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by PASTEE: 4:52am On Jun 02, 2010
Much had been said you can still contact INDEPENDENT RESEARCHERS ON YOUTH DEVELOPMENT AND NATION BUILDING for ground work it is an NGO that could help you in detailed preparation and other information you can fin out more by just typing the name in any search engine i.e google.com or call +2348055136914
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 9:31am On Jun 02, 2010
@Nat138: Thanks for the advice. Will be definitely needing a lot of youth volunteers. We will be running a peer motivators scheme where young people will volunteer time to help other young people on our courses. Obviously we will care for all their necessary expenses incurred in doing so plus they get a UK OCN level 2 accreditation whilst doing it. As regards the name of the individual at the CAC can you please forward me his details to: ken.okolo@engage-skills.com? We will be setting first in Lagos though and then Abuja.

@Pastee: I will give them a call today. Thanks for providing that information!
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by hailtopsy(m): 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2010
TO POST, I currently work with an established NGO here in Lagos and ve vast experience for 3 years now on several programmatic and operational activities, the vision of the NGO is in provision of free and quality education for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in Lagos, we presently service over 400 children.

To set up an NGO,
Although the CAC registration is important, u have to obtain some relevant tools before you can be considered e.g an office space, a board, policy documents, a vision, and a registered name. But operation could still commence before this registration but it wld be advisable you make advocacy to the LGA where you intend setting up. In return, you would be issued an LGA certification which is legal and can be used for your operations, CAC can be obtained later in course of your operations just that the NGO won't be able to seek interantional grants.

For more info on operations, i could recommend some existing NGOs with relevance that can nurture your project.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 6:23pm On Jun 10, 2010
Hi HailTopsy:

Thanks very much for the details.

I have already started work on the registration side of things using the services of a lawyer, however your advice on the relevant tools needed were valuable.

You mentioned the possibility of other NGO's that might be able to nurture something like this. Would you mind dropping me a few details on ken.okolo@engage-skills.com? Also will like to know more about your NGO and perhaps ways we might be able to work together.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by ThatBoy: 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2010
i would love to participate in this charity work. mail me if you are looking for volunteers bigmodo at gmail dot com
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by kenoye: 12:11pm On Jun 16, 2010
Hi Thatboy:

Thanks for your interest. I will send you an email!

Cheers,

Ken
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by cotex(m): 6:34pm On Jun 16, 2010
what i will tell you is to pray to GOD and try to find out if they are for real. i tell you Nigeria really need that kind of organizations.
thank you and GOD bless Nigeria
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by Irewo: 10:16pm On Jun 16, 2010
Kenoye,

The plan to set a charity organisation for Nigerian youth is a step in a right direction.

At a reasonable fees, Babson Consulting will be willing to render accounting services such as setting up and maintaining the proper books of accounts and records for the charity. You can contact us through our emails: babsonconsulting@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by Meddler(f): 8:31pm On Jun 19, 2010
Hey this sounds really interesting I would like to know more about your charity organization. I'm open to volunteer work grin. If you don't mind me e-mailing you for additional information. Thanks
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by befrank: 6:05am On Jun 20, 2010
hey coach, need more highlight if u know better.hv got al d required materials for my NGO registration but dont have an office but we have a base in the village where we hav started doing our charity work for almost a year now, is it stil going to b a hurdle if i use d villa as an office without getting a proper office?cos am about to file for registration after settling d little little problem CAC is currently having to register me, thanks alot and ur reply will be appreciated.

Frank,
Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by befrank: 6:13am On Jun 20, 2010
Kenoye: its a welcomed idea and development,keep working smart and hard on it,though not going to b easy, may God b ur strength.hav started mine in a village called Igbedor but the FOUNDATION is stil undergoing registration at CAC,save u d details but wil b looking forward to working wif u in d nearest future.tanx
Frank

1 Like

Re: Uk Charity Planning On Setting Up In Nigeria - Advice Needed! by befrank: 6:22am On Jun 20, 2010
hey nat138,my NGO registration is undergoing some kind of delay at CAC Abuja.if u hav contact of someone dere who can help in the registration,pls do help sending it to my email bill2frank@gmail.com. tanx.
Frank.

(1) (Reply)

Which Busness Can I Start As A Banker / Guide On How To Start A Kerosene Supplier Business / 19 Legit Platforms / Apps To Get Instant Loan Without Collateral In Nigeria 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.