Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,985 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? (4694 Views)

What's Going On In The North? - Deji Adeyanju Reacts To Crowd At Kaura PDP Rally / From Denial To Blame Game — Army And Lagos Governmet Spat On Lekki Shooting / Photo Of The Nigerian Air Force Jet That Crashed In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 4:09am On May 22, 2018
The Nigerian army is building an air force and the Nigerian air force is building an army. The latter already has two dedicated Special Forces Units and has plan for more. But why is there so much interservice rivalry between both services of the armed forces?

The trend became noticeable when the Nigerian army lost the initiative in the campaign against Boko Haram, suffering a number of embarrassing defeats. The capture and beheading of two Nigerian fighter pilots by Boko Haram after they were shot down by anti-aircraft and the lacklustre rescue operation did not help.

The Nigerian armys lays some of the blame on the lack of close air support and expresses its dissatisfaction with Air Force response times continue. It didn’t take long for the army to request an independent aviation unit.

Countering this request were the Air commanders who strongly reluctant to give up some control of the air war.

This interservice rivalry has spilled into the battlefield on several occasions. In one incident, the Army received credible intelligence that Boko Haram terrorists were planning a major attack on troops of the 233 Battalion stationed at the forwarding base in Sassawa, 35 kilometers East of Damaturu. Members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) affiliated to the Army and villagers had informed the troops after discovering that Boko Haram members were congregating in the area.

Following the receipt of the information, Army Intelligence officers notified the Nigerian Air Force and requested for air cover. Curiously, however, the request was not acted upon until the terrorists struck, killing Lieutenant Shuaibu, eight soldiers and seriously injuring 3 others.

The situation report showed that the Army only managed to send a few gun trucks to fortify the base after learning of the impending attack. This followed the failure of the Nigerian Air Force to provide air cover to the troops. Incidents like this took relations between both services to new lows. The army decided it wanted an independent air arm to provide credible air support to ground troops. A move that infuriated the Air Force.

The establishment of the Army Aviation Corps (AAC) was announced by Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai in 2016. The Nigerian Army Aviation became operation in early 2018, with calls for extra budgetary allocations, to the disapproval of the Air Force.

On its part the Nigerian Air Force has been building its own army. In 2016 the Nigerian Air Force announced it had established another Special Forces command to help the Nigerian army on its operations in the North-East.

The Chief of Air Marshal, did not give details of the establishment of the new command, he said it was part of the planned restructuring of NAF’s operational command to conform with contemporary demands on national security. He said :

The Air Force is not only fighting in the air, and therefore, whatever it is that we need to have to fulfill our mandate in the face of the present challenges is what we are working toward putting on the ground.

In late 2017 the The Nigeria Air Force announced it has trained more than 500 personnel of its special forces in asymmetric warfare in the past six months.

The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar in a statement said

“the current NAF leadership has made deliberate efforts at repositioning the NAF into a highly professional fighting force’’.

“Several air and ground related capacity building initiatives have been conducted in recent times to enable the NAF have depth, flexibility and capability to operate either alone or in conjunction with other sister services.’’

In January 2017 the Nigerian government deployed 200 Air Force Special Forces troops from the 117 Air Combat Training Group (ACTG), and other air assets to enforce an ECOWAS Mandate in the Gambia, much to the chagrin of the army. This was the first time the Nigerian military had carried out peacekeeping operations without the army. The NAF Special Forces Regiment now gets deployed on peacekeeping operations. An army mission.

In September 2017, the Nigerian Air Force graduated additional 150 personnel of the Regiment Specialty, who had just undergone an 8-week intensive Special Forces training conducted by an Israeli company.

The COAS, Air Marshal Abubakar, who was the Guest of Honour at the Combined Graduation Ceremony, stated that the objective of the Special Forces Course and the other courses was to bridge the identified gap between force projection and force protection. He further said that the exploits of the NAF in projecting air power in the various conflict areas in Nigeria, and even beyond the shores of the country, was not in doubt.

The army on its part announced it is inching closer towards its goal of deploying attack helicopters for the first time. It currently fields a few helicopters but is looking to acquire new attack helicopters to equip its newly formed Army Aviation Corps.

The Army Chief, Tukur Buratai said the new stand-alone counter-terrorism air unit will be tasked specifically with providing aerial support to ground forces fighting the Boko Haram insurgency in the north and north-east of the country rather than rely on the NAF, thereby guaranteeing long-term national security. In his words :

“We have compiled a list of platforms from Russian, American and Chinese origin, including certain simulators and UAVs,” the general said.

“Emphasis was however made on the Russian made Mi-17 due to its ruggedness, operability and multi-role capability. As a result, different contractors submitted their proposals for supply, which are still being considered.

“Recently, the NA also considered the South African made Rooivalk attack helicopters after witnessing a demonstration in South Africa on the capability of the platforms and its employability.”

This turf war between the two services that continues to grow as each service is building up forces with little apparent regard for the battlefield needs of the other.

In April 2018,

The Nigerian Army announced it is working with some of its indigenous and foreign partners in the defence industry to produce prototype helicopters for its operations.

“The Nigerian army is already working on its own prototype helicopter.

“This is one issue –prototype helicopter that we are very much concerned about and we hope to have it on the ground very soon,’’ Mr. Buratai said.

He said the army had been working in the past few years to get value for the research it had embarked upon to produce some of its aircrafts locally, adding that “this is our target.’

In the area of close air support, the Army has fought long and hard for the creation of an independent air arm, and is currently clamouring for funding for the procurement of new attack helicopters and drones, to give the ground commander the responsive air support it does not feel the Air Force will provide.

On the other hand, the Air Force has forged military partnerships with the British and Israeli’s in the area of training. The NAF currently has two Special Forces ground components that have seen deployments to the frontlines in the northeast.

The NAF has some of the best ISR and information gathering assets on the continent. Acting quickly on information gathered , providing point defence of air assets and launching rescue operations for downed pilots have long been a mission the army has been unwilling or unable to carry out. In response to this, the Air Force created its own infantry like airbase defense units. During the Boko Haram attack on the NAF Base in Makurdi, the NAF witnessed a great unwillingness by the army to assume the airbase defense role for the Tactical Air Command, even though it was their primary source of air support.

The Air Force requirement to provide airlift and Close Air Support for the Army, both intertheater and intratheater, has historically received a low priority in the Air Force. As a result, the Army has attempted to increase its organic lift capability through procurement transport helicopters. Because these aircraft support Army requirements, they have not been able to successfully compete for budget dollars with weapon systems that support more purely Air Force missions.

Conclusion.

The long history of conflict between the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Air Force is being caused by organizational structure factors, human factors, and competition for limited resources. The structural factors include the basic organizational mismatches between the two as well as the unresolved overlap and conflict between their roles and missions.

The human factors include the differing perspectives of the people who make up each service and some common psychological traps that they fall into. Competition for limited resources is directly related to service competition for a larger share of the defense budget, which is never large enough to satisfy all the legitimate requirements of all the services.

https://defensenigeria.com/2018/05/22/whats-going-on-between-the-nigerian-army-and-nigerian-air-force/
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:14am On May 22, 2018
Something serious must be done ASAP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by persius555(m): 4:17am On May 22, 2018
Waiting for the NAF to acquire Abram tanks grin. Before then, let's see who is most effective.

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by okey777(m): 4:32am On May 22, 2018
That is Nigeria factor, they will leave the object and start pursuing image.

3 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by enoch273: 4:41am On May 22, 2018
A normal individual won't fight for this country not to talk of dying for it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:15am On May 22, 2018
Sincerely in all fairness, from my persoective as a southeasterner based in Borno, i can boldly say the Nigeria Airforce is the weakest link in this Insurgency battle lipsrsealed

E.g the attack at Rann KalaBalge on March 1st where i lost 3 of my Humanitarian colleagues, the Army battled with Bokoharam's Barnawi/Mamman Nur Faction for over an Hour and 30mins...

It takes just 20 minutes for a fighter jet in Maiduguri to get to Rann and Bombard these idiots. I only see the NAF coming out when it is an attack in Maiduguri... eg last month attack by bokoharam in Maiduguri Metropolis .

Well the rest is history

9 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Cr7sBabe(f): 5:29am On May 22, 2018
Chai!!! and the OP expects me to read all this...
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by chriskosherbal(m): 5:35am On May 22, 2018
They should put away thier differences and fight thier common enemy.

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by project8(m): 6:03am On May 22, 2018
The nigerian airforce is known for showoffs bt very lazy in operation.most of my guys in northeast prefer air cover from chadian army cos of consistencies and precisions unlike our airforce who bombards own troops and poor idps

2 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by CaptainStephen(m): 6:13am On May 22, 2018
someone will just wake up and write nonsense under the banner of free speech. okpabana fire you there !
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by laribari(m): 6:13am On May 22, 2018
Mr. OP, even the US Marine (navy seals) have ground troops, they carry machine guns, they carry out ground rescue operations too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by slimfit1(m): 6:55am On May 22, 2018
You would think Buhari would have thought them the need to work together.
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Throwback: 6:57am On May 22, 2018
laribari:
Mr. OP, even the US Marine (navy seals) have ground troops, they carry machine guns, they carry out ground rescue operations too.

How is the US Marine Corps the same as Navy Seal?

Marine Corps is a military force of its own that is synonymous with USA, while Navy Seal is a Naval special group of Sea Air and Land (SEAL).

3 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by casualobserver1: 7:05am On May 22, 2018
This interservice rivalry is one of the reasons that I favor the approach of the Canadians when it comes to defense.

The Canadians have the Canadian Forces, with army, Navy and air groups all under one banner. This approach might be seen as strange, but just that fact that they are under the same banner does a lot to build deeper cameraderie.

I'm sure my suggestion might upset some people, but I think that we should look into merging Army, Navy and Air Force into a single Nigerian Defense Force like the Canadians have.

Such a merger will take a decade at least, but we will definitely reap gains as the time and effort spent fighting amongst the different branches will be reduced over time.

8 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 7:21am On May 22, 2018
none of my business
that's sshithole nation for u
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 7:40am On May 22, 2018
And this is happening in the regime of a government whose head had served in the military before.

And what does Buhari have to say to this?

Anyway, I know that the Navy has its own air operations. That is understandable I think, but the army? What will now be the job of the air force?
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 7:46am On May 22, 2018
5thElement:
And this is happening in the regime of a government whose head had served in the military before.

And what does Buhari have to say to this?

Anyway, I know that the Navy has its own air operations. That is understandable I think, but the army? What will now be the job of the air force?

rushing to type rubbish
how is it the peoples sweat that airforce/ army are at loggerheads
both can wipe demselves out for all we care

Nigeria aka shithole and animal kingdom has gone to the dogs and will never, I mean never be redeemed.

what suppose to pre occupy our minds is the total division of Nigeria
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by TheKingIsHere: 8:09am On May 22, 2018
Since Buhari the ediotic dullard entered, there has been transmission of confusion everywhere.

Lalasticlala food is ready o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Paperwhite(m): 8:21am On May 22, 2018
Inter-agency egocentric rivalry became more pronounced in the clueless Buhari's regime.
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by ebixy(m): 8:24am On May 22, 2018
There is nothing new here, the US NAVY has helicopters and pilots (i don't know whether they have fighter jets).

Sometimes it is important to have certain skills under your control too for easy deployment.

Imagine the COAS has some attack helicopters under his control, he wouldn't wait for the AIR FORCE every time.

For me there is nothing strange here, both are just equipping themselves for future challenges.
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by omololu2020(m): 9:10am On May 22, 2018
ebixy:
There is nothing new here, the US NAVY has helicopters and pilots (i don't know whether they have fighter jets).

Sometimes it is important to have certain skills under your control too for easy deployment.

Imagine the COAS has some attack helicopters under his control, he wouldn't wait for the AIR FORCE every time.

For me there is nothing strange here, both are just equipping themselves for future challenges.

the US NAVY has fighter jets,only the US army does not have
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by laribari(m): 10:43am On May 22, 2018
Throwback:

How is the US Marine Corps the same as Navy Seal?

Marine Corps is a military force of its own that is synonymous with USA, while Navy Seal is a Naval special group of Sea Air and Land (SEAL).

See what you wrote. Naval special group of sea, air and land. However, ordinarily, the army is for ground troop (land), navy for sea and air force for air; but you just confirmed wat I said. Marine has to do with water oo!

Anyways, u have confirmed by point that there is noting wrong with the army having its own air team and air force having their own ground troop like the army, after all navy seals does all.

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by spartan117(m): 10:54am On May 22, 2018
We should just follow the US model and empower the Navy above the other 2. The US Navy has the most elite assault squad in the world i.e the US Navy seals. They also control the air to a reasonable extent with their aircraft carriers and the various fighter jets that take off from it.

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 11:51am On May 22, 2018
LochOtieno:

rushing to type rubbish
how is it the peoples sweat that airforce/ army are at loggerheads
both can wipe demselves out for all we care

Nigeria aka shithole and animal kingdom has gone to the dogs and will never, I mean never be redeemed.

what suppose to pre occupy our minds is the total division of Nigeria

From which asylum did you break out of? I think you need to go back there and resume your treatment.
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 11:58am On May 22, 2018
5thElement:

From which asylum did you break out of? I think you need to go back there and resume your treatment.

check this out

https://www.nairaland.com/4517317/could-prevent-one-event-nigerias
people are tired being in one Nigeria with u people

God if u can do this for us, we will forever praise u

we want Nigeria to be divided

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 11:59am On May 22, 2018
5thElement:

check this out

oga naija is not worth anything again

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 22, 2018
LochOtieno:

check this out

oga naija is not worth anything again

So you can actually type without insults. Good.

I'm in support of Nigeria's disintegration and yes there are only two ways Nigeria can move forward,

1. Changing from a democratic rule to a supreme monarchical rule that has an emperor or a king as the supreme ruler

2. Or the total disintegration of the various component parts of Nigeria.

Even restructuring won't solve that.
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 22, 2018
5thElement:

So you can actually type without insults. Good.

I'm in support of Nigeria's disintegration and yes there are only two ways Nigeria can move forward,

1. Changing from a democratic rule to a supreme monarchical rule that has an emperor or a king as the supreme ruler

2. Or the total disintegration of the various component parts of Nigeria.

Even restructuring won't solve that.

yesssssss

Now u talking....am against any emperor or monarchical rule....

what is need is total disntegration of nigeria......

North and Sw can retain nigeria or hv a new name
se and Ss will remain same as biafra.....and if any part of Ss wants to join nigeria they are free to do so.

1 Like

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Phythondancer(f): 12:18pm On May 22, 2018
This only exists in your mind and doesnt make sense,
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 12:19pm On May 22, 2018
LochOtieno:

yesssssss

Now u talking....am against any emperor or monarchical rule....

what is need is total disntegration of nigeria......

North and Sw can retain nigeria or hv a new name
se and Ss will remain same as biafra.....and if any part of Ss wants to join nigeria they are free to do so.

You know what, the problem with you people from the east is that you think other people want to stay with you.

You have been falsely indoctrinated to believe that the Westerners want you in their abode.

You, where are you resident and where are you typing from?

Lemme guess, west of Nigeria.

If you are in the east I'm sure majority of your family members reside in the west. Or north.

Yet, you are here on an online forum screaming secession.

Are you going to build your republic by proxy from another man's land?

Do you know why nobody takes your secession screams seriously?

Because we all know y'all just want attention like a baby that cries for no reason but just to attract the attention of its mommy. That's all.

If you guys are really serious about building your own republic why don't you start by moving back to that republic. All of you.

Staying in Yoruba land and shouting "we want Biafra" is foolish.

2 Likes

Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by SalamRushdie: 12:20pm On May 22, 2018
It's very normal for most Modern militaries to have specialist components of other arms as units within them these ...In the US the US Navy has it ground forces known as Marines and also has it's very deadly aviation wing consisting of some of the baddest sfike aircrafts around , the US Army has a it's own dedicated Army aviation consisting of the dreaded AH64 apache attack copter, cobra attack copters, AC130 flying artillery and ofcourse the ever dreaded A10 warthog flying gun who all provide fantastic close air support for the army's men on ground
Re: What’s Going On Between The Nigerian Army And Nigerian Air Force ? by Nobody: 12:27pm On May 22, 2018
5thElement:

You know what, the problem with you people from the east is that you think other people want to stay with you.

You have been falsely indoctrinated to believe that the Westerners want you in their abode.

You, where are you resident and where are you typing from?

Lemme guess, west of Nigeria.

If you are in the east I'm sure majority of your family members reside in the west. Or north.

Yet, you are here on an online forum screaming secession.

Are you going to build your republic by proxy from another man's land?

Do you know why nobody takes your secession screams seriously?

Because we all know y'all just want attention like a baby that cried for no reason but just to attract the attention of its mommy. That's all.

If you guys are really serious about building your own republic why don't you start by moving back to that republic. All of you.

Staying in Yoruba land and shouting "we want Biafra" is foolish.

firstly, I never add yoruba to SS or SE....i added them to note coz we already they will go that way....#fact#

scondly there are igbos outside nigeria....what it entails is to adapt to their laws and pay ur tax.....it will be myopic of u to claim that for igbos to go....they hv to go back home....that is childish...afterall other countries hv their independence and igbos are there....

and the development of igboland should be ur concern in issue of secession.......igboland can be developed from anywhere....

thirdly am delta and won't dare to leave biafra and join nigeria....na lie I wont....

also....what we are asking is division....then the rest whether development or not should be left to us......

In God we trust.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Children Deserve Proper Care, Says Enugu Governor's Wife / I'll Be Supporting ESN With 50 Million Naira / Oodua Defence Force Dares Nigeria On Attack Against Sunday Igboho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.