Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,093 members, 7,807,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Is A Foetus A Parasite? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A Foetus A Parasite? (12764 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by myettiallah: 11:04pm On May 24, 2018
Yoruba4Life:
Wait... what's all these 'Encyclopedia' terms and biology jargons on here?

Abeg, make I commot before dem talk say I no go school now grin
I am not suprised, because the only thing u know is IPOB, mumu!!

1 Like

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Joshuamilarge(m): 11:05pm On May 24, 2018
Hennepin:
Technically, it is a parasite. Depends on perspective. It is a good parasite to expecting mothers and baby mamas of celebs but a bad parasite to a teenager preparing for WAEC
U are out of this world.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:05pm On May 24, 2018
See question grin
A parasitic relationship is one in which one party benefits from it while the host suffers adversely from it

The relationship between a fetus and its mother is more like a symbiotic one, where one party benefits from the relationship and the host isn’t affected negatively or positively
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Cosplay: 11:06pm On May 24, 2018
Uyiii:
No.

There are at least 10 scientific distinctions between a parasite and a fetus.

A parasite is an organism of one species that lives in or on an organism of another species and receives nourishment from the host.

Parasites are invasive organism that come from an outside or external source. A fetus comes from an inside or internal source (ie fertilized egg)

Parasites are generally harmful to the hosts, fetuses may make a pregnant woman experience adverse health effects, but not nearly to the same level that a parasite generally does.

A parasite makes direct contact with the host's living tissues. A fetus lives in the placenta, fed by the umbilical cord, both of which are fetal tissue (ie the cells come from the baby).

When a parasite invades a host, the host tissue will usually respond by encapsulating the parasite in order to cut it off from other surrounding tissue. In the case of a fetus, the mother’s tissue will create a lining tissue that connects, rather than cuts off contact with other tissues (placenta lining).

Parasites usually elicit a surge of antibodies as an immunological response. With the fetus, however, a mother’s trophoblast (the shell of cells surrounding the embryo) will naturally block these antibodies so as not to reject the fetus. This reaction is only found in the embryo-mother relationship.

A parasite will generally weaken the cellular reproductive capacity of the host.For a fetus, the effect is the opposite.

Parasites generally stay with the host for life, a fetus leaves upon birth.

Parasitical relationships are mostly harmful and unnecessary to the host, generally damaging the host in a variety of ways. A newborn (fetus post-birth) is very healthy for the mother, bringing benefits of an emotional, cognitive and chemical nature.

The most obvious one, a fetus is a human being in development. It will never become anything other than human. Even a first trimester fetus will have fully developed arms, legs, ears, facial features, sex organs and a functioning heart, as well as sufficient neurological development to feel pain. A parasite is not a human and never will be.

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-fetus-be-scientifically-and-biologically-categorized-as-a-parasite-If-not-how-does-it-fail-to-meet-the-criteria-for-one

Give Credit to the source.

1 Like

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 24, 2018
It’s her raging hormones that causes tiredness, nausea and the rest, not the baby in itself grin
OrestesDante:

Even at the presence of proper care there are some symptoms that will still manifest
Like Anaemia, Vomiting, tiredness and metabolic disorder.

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 24, 2018
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Ojuororun(m): 11:09pm On May 24, 2018
aboladejohnny:
The problem with Nigeria is as follows;

Boko-Haram

Unemployment

Herdsmen

Armed Robbery

Recession

Insecurity

Put all the first letters together to see what the REAL PROBLEM is.
click like if you understand
ALL OF THE ABOVE YOU HAVE JUST MENTIONED ARE STILL UNDER "CORRUPTION"
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Ivorianaija(f): 11:12pm On May 24, 2018
Yoruba4Life:
Wait... what's all these 'Encyclopedia' terms and biology jargons on here?

Abeg, make I commot before dem talk say I no go school now grin

Uneducated person in a conversation of the intellectuals. Please stay in your lane.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 24, 2018
It’s not BBN or assurance or snake or Tonto Dike so he can’t relate
Ivorianaija:

Uneducated person in a conversation of the intellectuals. Please stay in your lane.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by otunbadan(m): 11:14pm On May 24, 2018
OrestesDante:
There is a serious debate here.

Is a fetus a parasite to its mother?

I yam not understand why this kind of stup.id topics make front page these days
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Dbrainiac1(m): 11:15pm On May 24, 2018
dominique:

Retired parasite

I'm good, you cheesy

I wan give you parasite tongue

I'll be a vector, you'll be the host. grin

wink kiss
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Offpoint: 11:18pm On May 24, 2018
SoapQueen:
Ofcourse not!..

A parasite will generally weaken the cellular reproductive capacity of the host. For a fetus, the effect is the opposite .

Parasites are invasive organism that come from an outside or external source. A fetus comes from an
inside or internal source (ie fertilized egg)

Reference :Quora
Sperm no be external source ni? abi sperm no dey invasive ni? fetus na parasite.... no long story and grammar abegy
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Josh44s(m): 11:20pm On May 24, 2018
125diCalcitriol:
A fetus is not a parasite

A parasite is an organism of one species in or on an organism of other species & deriving nourishment from the host

A foetus is an organism of one species living in the uterine cavity of an organism of the same species and deriving nourishment from the mother. A dependent relationship, but not a parasitic relationship

A parasite is harmful to some degree to the host

A foetus does not usually cause harm to the mother, provided proper care & nutrition is provided by the mother

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by sotall(m): 11:21pm On May 24, 2018
KillaBeauty:
See question grin
A parasitic relationship is one in which one party benefits from it while the other one suffers from it

The relationship between a fetus and its mother is more like a symbiotic one, where one party benefits from the relationship and the other party isn’t affected negatively or positively

So the vomitting, morning sickness, tiredness, swollen body, mood swings, pains, and ultimately labour wahala isn't negative or adverse effect

No matter how you guys twist it, a baby is a parasite to the mother nutritionally or otherwise.

A parasite isn't defined based on whether it is from the host or outside the host

A parasite isn't defined based on it's inversive nature or otherwise.

The most important attribute of a parasite is that it benefits from the host while causing harm to the host no matter how little the harm is .

#EOD

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 24, 2018
Those responses you mentioned are stimulated by her raging hormones grin
If you still insist that a baby is a parasite, well it’s a parasite that we all love kiss
sotall:

So the vomitting, morning sickness, tiredness, swollen body, mood swings, pains, and ultimately labour wahala isn't negative or adverse effect

No matter how you guys twist it, a baby is a parasite to the mother nutritionally or otherwise.

A parasite isn't defined based on whether it is from the host or outside the host

A parasite isn't defined based on it's inversive nature or otherwise.

The most important attribute of a parasite is that it benefits from the host while causing harm to the host no matter how little the harm is .

#EOD
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Offpoint: 11:23pm On May 24, 2018
Delivar:
Here is a dictionary definition of a parasite:

Going by that definition, the keyword there is "without benefiting". Since pregnant women benefit from the foetus by obtaining the joy of having a baby then a foetus is not a parasite.

and you skip the without killing it part to portray your point.
as long as they're still living inside their host "their mother" they're definitely parasite... no grammar and long story
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by sotall(m): 11:24pm On May 24, 2018
KillaBeauty:
Those responses you mentioned are stimulated by her raging hormones grin
If you still insist that a baby is a parasite, well it’s a parasite that we all love kiss

Yes raging hormones that are produced as a result of the presence of the baby
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Fatherofdragons: 11:28pm On May 24, 2018
k
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Fatherofdragons: 11:29pm On May 24, 2018
Ren
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Delivar(m): 11:31pm On May 24, 2018
Offpoint:

and you skip the without killing it part to portray your point.
as long as they're still living inside their host "their mother" they're definitely parasite... no grammar and long story
Foetuses don't ALWAYS kill pregnant women so you cannot say a foetus kills when the number of successful pregnancies are way higher than than the unsuccessful ones. The keyword as I stated there is the benefit a pregnant woman derives from the pregnancy. It is key thing that distinguishes a foetus from a parasite
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 24, 2018
KillaBeauty:
See question grin
A parasitic relationship is one in which one party benefits from it while the host suffers adversely from it

The relationship between a fetus and its mother is more like a symbiotic one, where one party benefits from the relationship and the host isn’t affected negatively or positively
Is that symbiotic? I know I did biology last about 7 yrs ago but I think symbiotic is when both parties benefit from each other mutually.

1 Like

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by abdullahi45: 11:34pm On May 24, 2018
Delivar:
Here is a dictionary definition of a parasite:

Going by that definition, the keyword there is "without benefiting". Since pregnant women benefit from the foetus by obtaining the joy of having a baby then a foetus is not a parasite.

That definition of paradite is epileptic, a parasite can kill its host.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Yoruba4Life: 11:36pm On May 24, 2018
Ivorianaija:

Really? African way of being educated! grin

I hear you, educated fellow!

1 Like

Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by johnmattew: 11:36pm On May 24, 2018
125diCalcitriol:

A parasite is an organism of one species in or on an organism of other species & deriving nourishment from the host

A foetus is an organism of one species living in the uterine cavity of an organism of the same species and deriving nourishment from the mother. A dependent relationship, but not a parasitic relationship

A foetus does not usually cause harm to the mother, provided proper care & nutrition is provided by the mother
epiphytic relationship
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 24, 2018
That’s mutualistic
charliboy654:

Is that symbiotic? I know I did biology last about 7 yrs ago but I think symbiotic is when both parties benefit from each other mutually.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by millomaniac: 11:39pm On May 24, 2018
OrestesDante:
There is a serious debate here.

Is a fetus a parasite to its mother?

Going by the definition then Definitely yes. However it is a very welcome parasite.
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by johnmattew: 11:39pm On May 24, 2018
kayusdguy:

Does that make it a saprophyte?
epiphyte i es the right word
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Mikeross62: 11:41pm On May 24, 2018
125diCalcitriol:

Gbam
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by johnmattew: 11:41pm On May 24, 2018
charliboy654:

symbiotic is the right word...
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by IJOBA2: 11:43pm On May 24, 2018
LET ME ASK IMAM LUCASBALO AKA ABBEYBAILEY
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by Offpoint: 11:50pm On May 24, 2018
Delivar:

Foetuses don't ALWAYS kill pregnant women so you cannot say a foetus kills when the number of successful pregnancies are way higher than than the unsuccessful ones. The keyword as I stated there is the benefit a pregnant woman derives from the pregnancy. It is key thing that distinguishes a foetus from a parasite
Read my mention again
Re: Is A Foetus A Parasite? by oshomoshi: 11:51pm On May 24, 2018
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate Directs FG To Build E-validation Portal Against Fake Results / Ongoing Project At Federal University Dustin Ma (FUDMA) Permanent Site / What Do You Miss About Your Primary And Secondary School Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.