Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,360 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:53 AM

Word Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Word Of God? (739 Views)

The Word Of God Is Powerful! / Word Of God? / The Power Of God’s Word – W.F. Kumuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Word Of God? by dalaman: 5:58pm On May 22, 2018
"Don't trust anyone who speaks for God. Stop putting words in God's mouth. Let God show up and speak for Himself. It's what everyone would want for themselves and others. It's the Golden Rule. It's just Common Sense."
-- Darrell G Punningham

YOU HAVE GOD'S WORD?

Sometimes, Christians look you in the eye and tell you in deadly earnest, "God gave you His Word. You either believe it or you don't. It's up to you."

Let's overlook the passive-aggressive tone because there is a much more important problem with this.

God did NOT give his word to me. Nor did he give his word to billions of people. MEN told me what they claim God told them--men who are long dead and anonymous. I have no way to question these men, and they offered no evidence that their words are true. Other men told me to just accept those words as true without offering any evidence themselves.

I have no idea if these men were honest, or if they were liars, deluded, mist aken or had an agenda that they did not disclose. I do know the stories these men told include much magic and superstition and fantastical events that cannot be verified and are hard to believe. And I know they made serious mistakes when describing the world and the universe.

Honestly, even if these men were alive today and I could talk to them, I would be reluctant to believe their stories without compelling evidence. But they offered no evidence at all.

To me, this puts these men in the same league as the smartly dressed man wearing a solid gold Rolex you meet in a pub. You know the one. The one who offers to sell you London Bridge at a knockdown price.

Thank you, but no thank you.

- Bill Flavel.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Word Of God? by AtYourCervix: 6:33pm On May 22, 2018
religion is not faith in God, its faith in what Men says about God so while its presented as faith in God, it's actually faith in men

Men since time immemorial have proven and are still proving to be untrustworthy, I'd take whatever faith they're trying to sell me about God with a pinch of salt till that all powerful God talks directly to me. I'd never put the cart before the horse like they're tying to have me do by telling me to believe something to be true first and evidence would come later. This makes no sense as belief can make one see evidence where there's none at all because a strong enough faith overrides common sense, the mind can be easily deceived especially religions that discourage rigorous testing to prevent falsifiability. Its also hypocritical that people who preach believe first didn't give other faith a chance. I mean they should've believed islam is true first too and check to see if evidence would come, isn't it convenient that the only faith they believed first happened to be the "True Faith"?

Nice one Dalaman!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Word Of God? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:02pm On May 22, 2018
NICE ONE, DALAMAN.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Word Of God? by dalaman: 7:28pm On May 22, 2018
AtYourCervix:
This makes no sense as belief can make one see evidence where there's none at all because a strong enough faith overrides common sense, the mind can be easily deceived especially religions that discourage rigorous testing to prevent falsifiability.

I truly like this.
Re: Word Of God? by tintingz(m): 7:58pm On May 22, 2018
Nice one man.

1 Like

Re: Word Of God? by hakeem4(m): 10:19pm On May 22, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

NICE ONE, DALAMAN.
I like this Hitchens quote grin

2 Likes

Re: Word Of God? by dalaman: 3:14pm On May 23, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Word Of God? by dalaman: 1:19pm On May 25, 2018
Let all.the Gods learn to speak for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Word Of God? by Niflheim(m): 4:12pm On May 30, 2018
@Dalaman,

This your post is fantastic!!! Were you around when Bill Flavell came to Freedom Park?
Re: Word Of God? by dalaman: 6:52pm On May 30, 2018
Niflheim:
@Dalaman,

This your post is fantastic!!! Were you around when Bill Flavell came to Freedom Park?

Nope I wasn't. The guy has a great mind.

1 Like

Re: Word Of God? by dalaman: 6:21pm On Jan 12, 2020
Words of deluded men.

(1) (Reply)

See How Quran Proves The Existence Of God / The Book Of Enoch: Discussion / Atheists Do Not Believe In A God Or Gods, What About Ghosts And Spirits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.