Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

What If This Was Your Son: - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / What If This Was Your Son: (1297 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If This Was Your Son: by shotster50(m): 11:50pm On May 26, 2010
Too unfit to run: Two-year-old who smokes 40 cigarettes a day puffs away on a toy truck

By Mail Foreign Service

Taking a deep drag on his cigarette while resting on the steering wheel of his truck, he looks like a parody of a middle-aged lorry driver.

But the image covers up a much more disturbing truth: At just the tender age of two, Ardi Rizal's health has been so ruined by his 40-a-day habit that he now struggles to move by himself.

The four-stone Indonesia toddler is certainly far too unfit to run around with other children - and his condition is  set to rapidly deteriorate.

But, despite local officials' offer to buy the Rizal family a new car if the boy quits, his parents feel unable to stop him because he throws massive tantrums if they don't indulge him.

His mother, Diana, 26, wept: 'He's totally addicted. If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick.'

Ardi will smoke only one brand and his habit costs his parents £3.78 a day in Musi Banyuasin, in Indonesia's South Sumatra province.

But in spite of this, his fishmonger father Mohammed, 30, said: 'He looks pretty healthy to me. I don't see the problem.'

Ardi's youth is the extreme of a disturbing trend. Data from the Central Statistics Agency showed 25 per cent of Indonesian children aged three to 15 have tried cigarettes, with 3.2 per cent of those active smokers.

The percentage of five to nine year olds lighting up increased from 0.4 per cent in 2001 to 2.8 per cent in 2004, the agency reported.
A video of a four-year-old Indonesian boy blowing smoke rings appeared briefly on YouTube in March, prompting outrage before it was removed from the site.

Child advocates are speaking out about the health damage to children from second-hand smoke, and the growing pressure on them to smoke in a country where one-third of the population uses tobacco and single cigarettes can be bought for a few cents.

Seto Mulyadi, chairman of Indonesia's child protection commission, blames the increase on aggressive advertising and parents who are smokers.

'A law to protect children and passive smokers should be introduced immediately in this country,' he said.

A health law passed in 2009 formally recognizes that smoking is addictive, and an anti-smoking coalition is pushing for tighter restrictions on smoking in public places, advertising bans and bigger health warnings on cigarette packages.

But a bill on tobacco control has been stalled because of opposition from the tobacco industry.

The bill would ban cigarette advertising and sponsorship, prohibit smoking in public, and add graphic images to packaging.

Benny Wahyudi, a senior official at the Industry Ministry, said the government had initiated a plan to try to limit the number of smokers, including dropping production to 240 billion cigarettes this year, from 245 billion in 2009.

'The government is aware of the impact of smoking on health and has taken efforts, including lowering cigarette production, increasing its tax and limiting smoking areas,' he said.

Mr Mulyadi said a ban on advertising is key to putting the brakes on child and teen smoking.

'If cigarette advertising is not banned, there will be more kids whose lives are threatened because of smoking,' he said.

Ubiquitous advertising hit a bump last month when a cigarette company was forced to withdraw its sponsorship of pop star Kelly Clarkson's concert following protests from fans and anti-tobacco groups.

However, imposing a non-smoking message will be difficult in Indonesia, the world's third-largest tobacco consumer.

Tubagus Haryo Karbyanto, a member of the National Commission of Tobacco Control, said Indonesia must also address the social conditions that lead to smoking, such as family influence and peer pressure.

'The promotion of health has to be integrated down to the smallest units in our society, from public health centres and local health care centres to the family,' he was quoted as saying by the Jakarta Globe on Friday.

Health Minister Endang Sedyaningsih conceded turning young people off smoking will be difficult in a country where it is perceived as positive because cigarette companies sponsor everything from scholarships to sporting events.

'This is the challenge we face in protecting youth from the dangers of smoking,' she said in a statement on the ministry's website.

Re: What If This Was Your Son: by alienYOUTH(m): 1:27am On May 27, 2010
:DThis is a joke, it defn'tly cant be real. the kid can barely feed himself, let alone hold a cigarrette and inhale/exhale smoke with d req'd coordination.

Baa, go find another story 2 tell!!! tongue
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by shotster50(m): 2:49am On May 27, 2010
^^^^^^Google Ardi Rizal. Some people think with their mouth as  opposed to their brain.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2987307/First-shocking-pictures-of-smoking-toddler-Ardi-Rizal.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1281538/Smoking-year-old-Ardi-Rizal-40-cigarettes-day.html

PS I bet your brain feels as good as new, seeing that you've never used it.
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by montelik(m): 7:39am On May 27, 2010
But, despite local officials' offer to buy the Rizal family a new car if the boy quits, his parents feel unable to stop him because he throws massive tantrums if they don't indulge him.

His mother, Diana, 26, wept: 'He's totally addicted. If he doesn't get cigarettes, he gets angry and screams and batters his head against the wall. He tells me he feels dizzy and sick.'

Which kain nonsense talk be dis. I recall during my days of growing up. If I dared to throw any type of baseless tantrum over rubbish, my mother would almost kill me. Let him bang his head against the wall, so long as you know you are doing what is best for him. If you are afraid of doing what is best for him now that he is still a baby, because of his tantrums. How will you handle him when he gets older, that is if he even manages to get that far along smoking 40 a day at 2 years old sad
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by alienYOUTH(m): 10:30pm On May 27, 2010
^^^^^^Google Ardi Rizal. Some people think with their mouth as opposed to their brain.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2987307/First-shocking-pictures-of-smoking-toddler-Ardi-Rizal.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1281538/Smoking-year-old-Ardi-Rizal-40-cigarettes-day.html

PS I bet your brain feels as good as new, seeing that you've never used it.

grin Quit d hating bro, d mere fact it's on d net/newspapers dont mean it's 4 real; use ur own head now, a two year old smoking?!?

I might believe if he had a drinking problem, but smoking requires coordination. U obviously dont smoke, cool

Besides, i dont care if he lives in d Kalahari desert, no civilization will condone this kinda nonsense; the parents would have been locked up long time.
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by shotster50(m): 10:15am On May 28, 2010
If I throw a stick, will you go away??
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by Nobody: 10:30am On May 28, 2010
@post
no comment is necessary, just watch and dont let your jaw hit the desk!~

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMAgj-VSF8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by alienYOUTH(m): 10:53pm On May 29, 2010
Ok, i'm gonna accept defeat; but i aint gonna watch d Vid (scared maybe). Damn, still cant imagine stuff like this happens in d world,  *mutters on incoherently*
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by shotster50(m): 12:09am On Jun 02, 2010
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by member31: 8:09am On Jun 02, 2010
jus blazin
Re: What If This Was Your Son: by Osama10(m): 5:22am On Jun 04, 2010
Would clap for him.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Weird Facts About N Korea's Late Leader / Nigeria: The New African Diplomatic Leader, At Expense Of South Africa / UN Killing Africans In Haiti (sponsored By USA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.