Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Bonds Investors Hub - Investment (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Bonds Investors Hub (51265 Views)

Nigeria Bonds Rise After Tinubu Subsidy Removal / Which Is Better; Fixed Deposit Or Bonds? / Nigeria Bonds Rise After Buhari Presidential Election Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Graduateacher(f): 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
Guruindahouse:
I am into treasury bills though. I will start reading from page 1, hopefully I can get better ideas on how bond works.

Thanks, I will like to learn more about it too
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Guruindahouse(m): 4:26pm On Jul 14, 2019
No problem. Which one do you wanna know, Bond or TBills?
Graduateacher:

Thanks, I will like to learn more about it too
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Graduateacher(f): 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2019
Guruindahouse:

FGN Bond
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by AreaFada2: 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2019
awesomeJ:

You should be able to fund a Eurobond investment from your dorm if your dealing through a bank. However if it's through a brokerage or investment house, you'll have to transfer the forex.

And lest we forget, the $200k is just for one firm. There may others that'll take from $10,000. I'll make findings and give updates.

So what did you find out my brother?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jul 14, 2019
Which is better in the following investment? And has higher interest rates

Bonds (FGN bonds, FGN savings bonds, Eurobonds)
Treasury bills
Shares (Stock market)
Fixed Deposit
Money market
Mutual funds
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by kryptem: 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2019
awesomeJ:

Bonds are kinda sold in units with each unit having a face value.
so if you buy a 15% APR 2023 FGN bond with 10m at its original price, you'd be having 100,000 units of the bond, and since the coupon is 15%, your annual interest would be 1.5m

Now when you buy at the secondary market, you often don't buy at the original unit price. You may get to buy at say N90 per unit, which implies that you'd only be paying 9m to get thesame 100,000 units.

But at the end of the year, both you who bought at 9m and the other person that bought at 10m, you'd each get 1.5m as interest, because you hold the same number of units. But while his own yield is 15%(1.5m on 10m input), yours is 16.67%(1.5m on 9m input)

So coupon rate indicates the rate at which interest is paid on a bond based on its face value, while yield indicates the actual rate of returns to an investor.

The coupon rate is always indicated in the name of most bonds, and it doesn't change throughout the lifetime of the bond.

Only changes in purchase prices bring about changes in yields to bond investors.

Bonds bought at prices below their face values have higher yields, and vice versa.

Kindly ask for any further clarification if....
Thanks for the effort.
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 5:52pm On Jul 14, 2019
Graduateacher:

Thank you, which of them will you advise?

Both are fine, to buy from primary market you need 50m secondary should be 20m.

But if that's on the high side, you can go for savings bonds

2 Likes

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 7:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
Novartis:

Treasury bills
Shares (Stock market)
Fixed Deposit
Money market
Mutual funds

This question is a bit tricky because all of this instruments are unique in there own risk and structure.

But if you really want an out right answer, stock's will be the your pick, but then stocks don't give interest, they give capital appreciation and dividend.
Bonds a long term debt instruments, let's say I forsee interest rate dropping in future, then it will be favourable for me to lock in my funds in bonds at a good rate for a long period of time, example a few years ago when treasury bills was returning around 18%, I recommended a client to add suku bond which was 16.5% then but he refused because treasury bills was giving him better but down the line treasury bills rate has fallen. I don't know if you understand what am saying?

2 Likes

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Graduateacher(f): 10:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
ernie4life:

Thanks. It's high for me, I'll go for FGN savings bond, how can I key into this? is it still on offer?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 6:05am On Jul 15, 2019
Graduateacher:

Thanks. It's high for me, I'll go for FGN savings bond, how can I key into this? is it still on offer?

Savings bond is sold every month, kindly contact your broker and tell them you want to buy savings bonds, they will inform you once its on sale

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Ifexontop(m): 12:45am On Jul 16, 2019
awesomeJ:

Bonds are kinda sold in units with each unit having a face value.
so if you buy a 15% APR 2023 FGN bond with 10m at its original price, you'd be having 100,000 units of the bond, and since the coupon is 15%, your annual interest would be 1.5m

Now when you buy at the secondary market, you often don't buy at the original unit price. You may get to buy at say N90 per unit, which implies that you'd only be paying 9m to get thesame 100,000 units.

But at the end of the year, both you who bought at 9m and the other person that bought at 10m, you'd each get 1.5m as interest, because you hold the same number of units. But while his own yield is 15%(1.5m on 10m input), yours is 16.67%(1.5m on 9m input)

So coupon rate indicates the rate at which interest is paid on a bond based on its face value, while yield indicates the actual rate of returns to an investor.

The coupon rate is always indicated in the name of most bonds, and it doesn't change throughout the lifetime of the bond.

Only changes in purchase prices bring about changes in yields to bond investors.

Bonds bought at prices below their face values have higher yields, and vice versa.

Kindly ask for any further clarification if....
thanks guy for your good work! Please when we fed bonds start again? I want to invest.
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by needful: 5:33am On Jul 16, 2019
ernie4life:

How can I buy from secondary market pls
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 6:24am On Jul 16, 2019
needful:

How can I buy from secondary market pls

Contact your broker or you can send me a pm
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by DaBogu: 9:36am On Jul 25, 2019
Novartis:

Treasury bills
Shares (Stock market)
Fixed Deposit
Money market
Mutual funds
This question is a bit tricky because all of this instruments are unique in there own risk and structure. The bolded for is the best
Treasury bill are usually for those that have spare cash and want to have residual income. Share for me is very volatile. FD no no
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Tgiirl(m): 7:03pm On Jul 27, 2019
Have you tried Greenwich Plus? Invest amd thank me later

What is the Greenwich Plus Money Market Fund?
Greenwich Plus Money Market Fund is a mutual fund which collects monies from various individuals for the purpose of investing in Treasury Bills of the Federal Government of Nigeria and Bank Deposits of investment grade Banks. The Fund aims to generate income as well as preserve investor capital by diversifying investments across a range of high- quality, short-term debt securities or money market instruments as approved by the Securities & Exchange Commission ("SEC" or "the Commission"wink; and short term debt securities issued or guaranteed by the Federal Government of Nigeria

What do I stand to gain if I invest in the Fund?
• Professional Management: Your investm ent is managed by professional fund Managers • Diversification: You are opportune to invest in a wider array of money market instruments in order to maximize return
• Simplicity: We take the strain that may be associated with direct investment off your hands
• Enhanced Liquidity: Upon request, the Fund is obligated to redeem investments within 5 working-days
• Free and Easy Entry and Exit – Free Exit: You can subscribe into and/ or withdraw from the Fund whenever you want to
• Transparent and Regulated: T he Fund is listed regulated by SEC
• Investor Protection: The Fund’s assets are held by a distinct and separate entity (Custodian) and also monitored by a Trustee and Investment Committee

What are the risks involved?
There is no risk involved in the Fund as the assets of the fund is invested in Bank Deposits and FGN Treasury Bills.

Who can invest in Fund?
Individuals, Groups/ Associations, Institutions; the Fund is open to anyone with a minimum of N 10,000 for investment. It can be used as gifts for newborns, birthdays as well as a child education/ investment/ endowment account.

How do I subscribe?
(i) Simply walk into Greenwich Trust offices, and sign* the Subscription form and attach 2 passport photos and photocopies of investor’s:
• Drivers License/ Bio Data page of your International Passport/ National I.D card
• Utility Bill showing address of the investor
(* signature should be that of the investor or such appointed person that will acting on his/her behalf)

For more info;
Email: adetomiwa.temitayo@gtlgroup.com
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Nobody: 5:05am On Aug 03, 2019
Morning bosses
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by obembet(f): 6:40am On Aug 03, 2019
Guruindahouse:

Please teach me more about bond... I really want to know how it works and the advantage over TB, fixed deposit and forex.. I will also like to know the terms and condition

I hear suku bond too... Pleaee what is the meaning
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 6:55pm On Aug 06, 2019
This union bank bond. What was the minimum amount that can be invested. 5 mil?
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by kryptem: 6:50pm On Aug 14, 2019
With the current global trends in seemingly economic imbalance agross the globe, I hope all these investments in a particular economy will not be negatively impacted; looking into what the future holds...

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 9:58pm On Aug 14, 2019
kryptem:
With the current global trends in seemingly economic imbalance agross the globe, I hope all these investments in a particular economy will not be negatively impacted; looking into what the future holds...

Well we can't say there won't be an impact, but we can forecast who gets the most impact and what this impact will translate to.

So for a country like Nigeria, if our income from oil and taxes are stable, you can be assured that they will always honour their debts. Also we pray the use this funds wisely to develop our economy so it grows and in the long run these debts will benefit everyone.

For corporate organisations, its necessary that we continue to watch when they over borrow and what there policies are like, are they considering their debtors when making polices, who and who are in charge? What are their backgrounds like? Do they have a history of mismanagement of funds etc

2 Likes

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2019
How much am I making if I invest 50m on 2022 16.39% bond. Thanks
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Uchefrancis16(m): 11:05am On Aug 22, 2019
Barrytone:

2022 bond at 16.39%? Am just hearing this for the first time. Mind throwing more light on the name, and how to go about it? Cos i know FGN bond has a lot lower rate.

Sorry i couldnt contribute to your own question brother.
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 22, 2019
Uchefrancis16:

2022 bond at 16.39%? Am just hearing this for the first time. Mind throwing more light on the name, and how to go about it? Cos i know FGN bond has a lot lower rate.

Sorry i couldnt contribute to your own question brother.

Is OK bro, always on channels TV news bar
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by HeliosHay(m): 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2019
Barrytone:

You're making N8,195,000 per annum

You'll earn a total of N24,585,000 in interest for the 3 years
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 8:57pm On Aug 22, 2019
Hi,@ernie4life
Hope you are doing great? Please which investment firms do you know that can accept to buy eurobonds for 10k dollars.... I believe you have mentioned in the past you have such info.
Thnks a lot for anticipated response
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 9:00pm On Aug 22, 2019
Anyone aware of any bank or financial institution that can help purchase fgn/corporate bonds at minimum investment of say a million? (besides fgn savings bonds of course)
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 9:48pm On Aug 22, 2019
ernie4life:

Contact your broker or you can send me a pm
Hi,@ernie4life
Hope you are doing great? Please which investment firms do you know that can accept to buy eurobonds for 10k dollars.... I believe you have mentioned in the past you have such info.
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 8:00am On Aug 23, 2019
wuwu2:

Hi,@ernie4life

send me a pm

1 Like

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by smartking1: 12:57pm On Aug 23, 2019
Infopalace International in conjunction with Web Experts invite you to Cryptocurrency/Blockchain Conference Scheduled to hold on Saturday 24th August, 2019, at Shekinah House, 23, Ajao Road, near Time Square Event Center, Off Awolowo way, Ikeja, Lagos. Time: 10am
For detail content of the programme visit
https://www.infopalace.com.ng/invitation-to-cryptocurrency-blockchain-conference-in-lagos/

Re: Bonds Investors Hub by wuwu2: 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2019
ernie4life:

send me a pm
Not sure I know how to but I have tried to
Re: Bonds Investors Hub by ernie4life(m): 7:17am On Aug 27, 2019
wuwu2:

Not sure I know how to but I have tried to

I have replied, Check your email

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Who Has Been Matched For Payment By MMM / South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc / NAIRALANDERS: Be Careful Of Where You Invest Your Money On This Platform.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.