Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety (8640 Views)

Stock Market Loses N71 Billion As Investors Play Safe / Equities Market Loses N170bn / Forex Reserves Gain $455m In One Week Amid Intervention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by dipoolowoo: 4:03am On May 27, 2018
By Dipo Olowookere

The heating up of the political terrain in the country is gradually having a negative effect on the Nigerian stock market, Business Post reports.

During the just-concluded trading week, the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) lost about N416 billion as a result of huge selling pressure at the market.

Analysts had predicted that trading during the week would be positive as a result of improving macroeconomic indices in the domestic space, especially with the further ease in the inflation rate, positive GDP growth, passage of the 2018 budget and retention of the interest at 14 percent by the apex bank.

However, these did nothing to drive the equity market up last week as the stock market did not record any single rise throughout last week.

This was attributed to profit-taking activities by investors, especially foreign investors, who are parts of the major drivers of the local bourse. It was observed that foreign investors are reassessing their portfolio compositions so as to limit their losses as a result of political intrigues in the country ahead of the 2019 general elections.

Business Post reports that at the close of transactions last week, the All-Share Index (ASI) depreciated by 2.84 percent to settle at 39,323.62 points, while the market capitalization decreased by N416 billion to finish at N14.244 trillion against its previous close of N14.660 trillion.

During the week also, a total of 14 equities appreciated in price, lower than 20 in the previous week, while 61 stocks depreciated in price, higher than 54 equities of the previous week, and 94 counters remained unchanged, lower than 95 recorded in the preceding week.

A total turnover of 1.372 billion shares worth N16.022 billion in 21,099 deals were traded last week by investors on the floor of the exchange in contrast to a total of 1.457 billion shares valued at N23.666 billion that exchanged hands the previous week in 19,674 deals.

It was further observed that the Financial Services Industry, measured by volume, led the activity chart with 1.010 billion shares valued at N8.670 billion traded in 12,049 deals; thus contributing 73.62 percent and 54.11 percent to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.

The Services Industry followed with 107.246 million shares worth N229.715 million in 712 deals, while the third place was occupied by Consumer Goods Industry with a turnover of 71.946 million shares worth N5.506 billion in 3,818 deals.

Trading in the top three equities; Zenith Bank, African Alliance Insurance Company and Ikeja Hotel, measured by volume, accounted for 276.876 million shares worth N2.939 billion in 2,112 deals, contributing 20.18 percent and 18.35 percent to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.

The top gainer for the week was Ikeja Hotels, which rose by 44.94 percent to settle at N2.58k per share.

It was followed by MRS Oil Nigeria, which appreciated by 21.18 percent to finish at N36.05k per share, and Law Union and Rock Insurance, which increased by 20.99 percent to close at 98k per share.

Niger Insurance grew by 19.05 percent to end at 25k per share, while Consolidated Hallmark Insurance increased by 11.11 percent to finish at 30k per share.

On the flip side, Eterna closed the week as the worst performing stock after shedding 22.27 percent of its value to close at N5.27k per share.

It was trailed by Japaul Oil, which went down by 20 percent to end at 24k per share, and Dangote Flour, which decreased by 16.82 percent to close at N8.90k per share.

Transcorp declined by 16.35 percent to close at N1.33k per share, while AIICO Insurance fell by 16.18 percent to end at 57k per share.

Also traded during the week were a total of 70 units of Exchange Traded Products (ETPs) valued at N1,943.00 executed in 7 deals, compared with a total of 153,246 units valued at N4.009 million that was transacted in the preceding week in 22 deals.

In addition, a total of 10,754 units of Federal Government bonds valued at N11.412 million were traded during the week in 5 deals, compared with a total of 7,508 units valued at N7.506 million transacted in the previous week in 12 deals.

https://www.businesspost.ng/2018/05/27/nigerian-stock-market-loses-n416b-in-one-week-amid-political-anxiety/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Nobody: 7:28am On May 27, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Zane2point4(m): 7:28am On May 27, 2018
How does this huge money figures benefit the average Nigerian,we only hear big big figure only in looting or unaccomplished huge projects, yet no benefit.

The earlier we return to regionalism the better.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by perryy(m): 7:29am On May 27, 2018
Sai baba forever
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Nobody: 7:30am On May 27, 2018
Stop blaming Ramos

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by globalresource: 7:30am On May 27, 2018
Kai baba grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Nobody: 7:31am On May 27, 2018
angry

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by tsamson(m): 7:34am On May 27, 2018
Trending Alarm for stock dealers,
Soon.. Market will rise,

One thing i know is Nigeria will be great again, Someday, Some years, don't know when but, im certain..
My beloved Nigeria will be great again

*Modified*

Please Lets Support Our Own Person

https://www.instagram.com/pexiee

Hi guys ��

It’s Me, Taiwo Oluwapelumi Popularly Known As Pexiee,

I’m contesting for face of unilorin 2018 �

If I am Elected As The Face of Unilorin, A Campaign Against Drug Abuse is Elected

When You Vote Pexie as the Face of Unilorin (FOU), You Take Stand for a Sain, DrugAbuse-Free World,

Abuse of Drug, Immoral Dressing is the Trend in the world, Decency and Modesty is Something of the Past,

I am no saint but, i look to a future, where people who stood against Drug Abuse Won't be seen as a kill joy,

Please vote for DrugAbuse Free Unilorin,
Please vote for Pexiee

����

*To Vote* visit |url]http://instagram.com/faceofunilorin_[/url]

Like Taiwo Oluwapelumi aka Pexiee picture

Voting starts *6pm, Saturday 26 May, 2018*

and pls remember to follow @faceofunilorin on instagram so that your votes will count �
You can also follow my IG account to be in touch by clicking on the link above
Thanks �
God bless

#kickagainstdrugabuse❌

#VotePexie
#teampexie

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by seguno2: 7:37am On May 27, 2018
Anything that Buhari touches turns into failure.
Fuel price increase.
Exchange rate increase.
Terrorists increase.
Inflation increase.
Buhari is a monumental error of gargantuan proportions that must be corrected in 2019!
Do you have your PVC ready and does everyone around you have their PVCs ready

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by ExpiredNigeria: 7:43am On May 27, 2018
Let it lose everything.
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by scopusng(m): 7:48am On May 27, 2018
Buhari again
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by sowore2019: 7:52am On May 27, 2018
No doubt President Buhari has failed in governance, he lack the mental capacity and drive to administer a modern Nigeria. Let us Take Nigeria back from analogue leadership
#Sowore2019

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Horus(m): 7:53am On May 27, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4Cwz3Pca8

Nigerian Stock Market - Low trade persists at the exchange

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by omoadeleye(m): 7:55am On May 27, 2018
that means we Nigerians are in soup right?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by SniperSmurf(m): 8:00am On May 27, 2018
Buhari why?
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by eezeribe(m): 8:02am On May 27, 2018
Zane2point4:
How does this huge money figures benefit the average Nigerian,we only hear big big figure only in looting or unaccomplished huge projects, yet no benefit.

Go to investment section,you will see average Nigerians like you who benefit from these huge figures.
Search for threads on NSE pick alerts,MF and NTB,etc ... I decided to use abbreviations so that whoever goes in search of those threads would subtly pay some dues by searching...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by olaniyi50(m): 8:03am On May 27, 2018
Zane2point4:

You are not so bright, are you?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by sonety2k(m): 8:07am On May 27, 2018
cool
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by eezeribe(m): 8:08am On May 27, 2018
olaniyi50:

You are not so bright, are you?
I understand your question;the masses are always quick to think that everyone is in the same boat with them..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by olaniyi50(m): 8:17am On May 27, 2018
eezeribe:

I understand your question;the masses are always quick to think that everyone is in the same boat with them..
I meant "you really don't know much about the stock market" do you?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by tiredoflife(m): 8:17am On May 27, 2018
tsamson:
Trending Alarm for stock dealers,
Soon.. Market will rise,

One thing i know is Nigeria will be great again, Someday, Some years, don't know when but, im certain..
My beloved Nigeria will be great again

*Modified*

Please Lets Support Our Own Person

I hear people say Nigeria will be great again
Was Nigeria ever great
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by lafuria1(m): 8:18am On May 27, 2018
This stock thing is just rich people problem, the message is thst, some rich people decided to withdraw their money from business and keep it because they are afraid they might start making loses in the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by caprini1: 8:24am On May 27, 2018
ajibolabd:
Stop blaming Ramos
Forget the hypocrisy of Nigerians,when I was little , there was this African nations cup match between Algeria and Nigeria,a Nigerian player was given a red card and Algeria had an upper hand,but one of our defenders Sunday Eboigbe(can't forget him) , totally destroyed the Algerian most dangerous striker called Medane,s right knee,as in removed the knee! the referee did not see it ,and Algeria had made their three changes and the game balanced at 10 against 10........Nigerians , including my late Dad,celebrated someone getting butchered on the field of play like a goal.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by risos(m): 8:27am On May 27, 2018
Lost to N416 billion to which persons account?
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by SpaceAngel: 8:43am On May 27, 2018
u tiredoflife:

I hear people say Nigeria will be great again
Was Nigeria ever great

Please watch this and know whether Nigeria was ever great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5m9Fn9RBg

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by InvertedHammer: 8:43am On May 27, 2018
Zane2point4:

/*

There are 4 groups involved:
1. The people making money
2. The people losing money.
3. The people who love to complain.
4. The folks who don't care.

Kindly read group 3 again.

/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by 34webers(m): 8:44am On May 27, 2018
Idiotic pigs of biamumus will agree with the loss 100 percent because they grow fat on bad news so that they can insult buhari. The other time when gain was reported, the same idiotic pigs of biamumus were demanding for pictures and at the same time asking how it affects the common man and in the end, the pigs said it was a cooked story so that they can still insult buhari. Good or bad, the idiotic pigs of biamumus must insult buhari because they are cursed animals.
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Ugosample(m): 9:37am On May 27, 2018
ExpiredNigeria:
Let it lose everything.
Are you ok?
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Ugosample(m): 9:39am On May 27, 2018
eezeribe:

Go to investment section,you will see average Nigerians like you who benefit from these huge figures.
Search for threads on NSE pick alerts,MF and NTB,etc ... I decided to use abbreviations so that whoever goes in search of those threads would subtly pay some dues by searching...

Help me tell am o
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by Nobody: 9:48am On May 27, 2018
grin fear of loss is the beginning of wisdom.
Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by SBG04: 10:10am On May 27, 2018
Mr dipoolowoo and business day, please let's be very careful with the kind of Journalism we practise. Emerging markets worldwide have been tanking since rates increased in the US. Rates in American securities are around 3.1% now, the highest since 2012. Emerging markets like Egypt, Argentina and South Africa have been feeling the heat from FPI withdrawals since February. Nigeria just started feeling it last month. The naira is now falling on the I&E window even with increasing reserves, which is unusual.
We don't hear South Africans or Argentinians playing politics with simple international economics. It's stupid Nigerians that always turn something so simple upside down. Are you telling me that out of 180million Nigerians, nobody opens Bloomberg.com or watches CNBC? Or even CNN money? It's just shameful!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N416b In One Week Amid Political Anxiety by webizone(m): 10:36am On May 27, 2018
SBG04:
Mr dipoolowoo and business day, please let's be very careful with the kind of Journalism we practise. Emerging markets worldwide have been tanking since rates increased in the US. Rates in American securities are around 3.1% now, the highest since 2012. Emerging markets like Egypt, Argentina and South Africa have been feeling the heat from FPI withdrawals since February. Nigeria just started feeling it last month. The naira is now falling on the I&E window even with increasing reserves, which is unusual.
We don't hear South Africans or Argentinians playing politics with simple international economics. It's stupid Nigerians that always turn something so simple upside down. Are you telling me that out of 180million Nigerians, nobody opens Bloomberg.com or watches CNBC? Or even CNN money? It's just shameful!

Guy, I am not like the rest. Guy, there are Nigerians who know the markets more than you even. I know the day you speak of. I made upwards of 3x my cash on the day American yields were flying. Anyways, for what it's worth, I thank God for people like you who understand the role of the markets in the global economy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Patent Registered / I Am Investing 1-10 Million Naira Every Month In Persons With Bright Ideas / UBA Re-admitted Into Forex Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.