Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,298 members, 7,780,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:57 PM

Are The Political Parties Ready? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Political Parties Ready? (984 Views)

16 Political Parties Endorse Shift In Election Date / INEC Rejects Governorship Nominations Of Parties In Seven States / Nigerian Political Parties At War Over US Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are The Political Parties Ready? by McKren(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2007
It has become fashionable these days to ridicule INEC, politicians when they want to be seen as democrats (going by Nigerian definition of the word) adopt the slogan "INEC is not ready for election" or "INEC is not serious". This slogan has become more common with the exclusion of some candidates from list of contestants in accordance with the provisions of the constitution.

Virtually every politician and political parties know better than INEC how to conduct elections. The AC is engaged in everyday unpaid lectures to INEC on how better to do its job, NDP has recently initiated a court case against INEC for ill-preparedness.

But what I find very disturbing is that less than 30 days to election most of these parties have no well thought out programmes to revamp the economy, Nigerians have no clue what their programmes are. The thought of classifying them leftwing, rightwing or center relative to their programmes  is such a wild dream.

Orji Kalu of PPA came up with an old fashioned doggy manifesto, some of his campaign promises include "free education" (that promise dates back to Tafawa Balewa era ), "Reclaim Bakassi from Cameroun" (God knows how he hopes to do that? Maybe promising the Country WAR if elected grin).

Buhari on the otherhand is planning to restructure and stabilize Nigeria. As if we are still fighting Civil War, may be needs to be reminded this is 2007 and not 1967. lipsrsealed
No clear economic programme to re-engineer the economy.

Then I like to ask, should'nt these parties spend more time telling Nigerians about their well thought out economic pragrammes and canvassing for votes than being paranoid about the electoral process?

I don't know about you but for me the question should be "How ready are the Political Parties" and not INEC.
Re: Are The Political Parties Ready? by azorjiu(m): 9:54pm On Mar 19, 2007
I even read 24 presidential candidates were qualified. The question is: who are these people? What is their intentions? lipsrsealed
They have populated against INEC, the scape goat who would bear their many post-election grudges.

Orji Uzor's best promise so far is that nigeria would win world cup under him as president. What a failure he portends.

In their preparedness for the general election, Orji Uzor scores 2%, Pat Utomi 49%, Buhari 52(1/2)%, Yar Adua 70%, who else is contesting? ok lets give them (others) 1%.

Let them leave Iwu alone. He is more prepared (seemingly) than the political parties based on what is evident as at today.
Re: Are The Political Parties Ready? by McKren(m): 7:55pm On Mar 20, 2007
spot on wink

(1) (Reply)

Election Go Hold So? / Ptdf, What About Others? / 2007 Candidates Profiles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.