Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club (744 Views)

Wike Bans IPOB, Stanley Mgbere Declared Wanted, N50 Million Bounty Placed On Him / Court Awards N50 Million Against Senator Abbo For Assault / Boko Haram Beheads Lawan Andimi, Rejects N50 Million Ransom Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by DeepSight(m): 10:02am On May 29, 2018
Lagos State donates N50 million of your money to Boat Club.

Let us celebrate another milestone acheivement of Ambode.

Lalasticlala, Seun Front Page please.
Let people see that Lagos.is working.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by Nobody: 11:27am On May 29, 2018
To be honest, I can't completely fault these guys. Because they actually do things. . .the N50 million is just a symbolic gesture of acknowledgement because I bet most members have far more. Let me give an example.

The Ikorodu library is where I go to chill/study when I'm at home and don't really have anything to do. All the shelves, and MOST of the books on them were donated by the Ikorodu Lion's club. The computers, and some of the tables too. I think that library is heavily underfunded and without the support of the Lion's club, it would probably just have to shut down. I can't say for other clubs but this is one I know of. I learned some members also make effort to tar local roads in some communities (the LGA Chairmen are practically useless, its clubs like this that do their jobs).

So if I were to see a memo where the state government gave N50 million to the Lion's club, I wouldn't feel cheated because I know those guys are doing far more.

I can't speak for others but this is a first hand experience of mine.

cc Mynd44 Lalasticlala Seun

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by Omeokachie: 11:35am On May 29, 2018
Pursue taxation like agbero chasing danfo.

Increase land use tax like a glutton at a buffet.

Only to waste it all like the prodigal son.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by DeepSight(m): 11:59am On May 29, 2018
AnonyNymous:
To be honest, I can't completely fault these guys. Because they actually do things. . .the N50 million is just a symbolic gesture of acknowledgement because I bet most members have far more. Let me give an example.

The Ikorodu library is where I go to chill/study when I'm at home and don't really have anything to do. All the shelves, and MOST of the books on them were donated by the Ikorodu Lion's club. The computers, and some of the tables too. I think that library is heavily underfunded and without the support of the Lion's club, it would probably just have to shut down. I can't say for other clubs but this is one I know of. I learned some members also make effort to tar local roads in some communities (the LGA Chairmen are practically useless, its clubs like this that do their jobs).

So if I were to see a memo where the state government gave N50 million to the Lion's club, I wouldn't feel cheated because I know those guys are doing far more.

I can't speak for others but this is a first hand experience of mine.

cc Mynd44 Lalasticlala Seun

Lions club like Rotary is.a global charity worthy of support. Boat Club is a small elitist enclave with no charitable or public support aspect to it.
Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by aribisala0(m): 12:06pm On May 29, 2018
With 50 million you can start a Lagos State league for Chess or Draughts

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 29, 2018
aribisala0:
With 50 million you can start a Lagos State league for Chess or Draughts
I have a friend that plays for the Lagos State team at state level. He said at the last tournament they won, they were given chess boards, t shirts (in essence, worthless gifts). Chess tournaments in Nigeria are also heavily underfunded. Its so bad that the NCF (Nigerian Chess Federation) has been abandoned and is left to the FG as a source of looting money, while the real organisation, CPAN (Chess Players Association of Nigeria) which was formed by some well meaning, skilled chess players, is left to do all the work.

DeepSight:

Lions club like Rotary is.a global charity worthy of support. Boat Club is a small elitist enclave with no charitable or public support aspect to it.

If the above is true, then it's shameful, considering how much there are other programs that need the money.
Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by aribisala0(m): 3:59pm On May 29, 2018
AnonyNymous:
I have a friend that plays for the Lagos State team at state level. He said at the last tournament they won, they were given chess boards, t shirts (in essence, worthless gifts). Chess tournaments in Nigeria are also heavily underfunded. Its so bad that the NCF (Nigerian Chess Federation) has been abandoned and is left to the FG as a source of looting money, while the real organisation, CPAN (Chess Players Association of Nigeria) which was formed by some well meaning, skilled chess players, is left to do all the work.

If the above is true, then it's shameful, considering how much there are other programs that need the money.

That is not the fault of government but chess players who need to learn from Boat Owners and organize themselves differently
Re: Lagos State Donates N50 Million To Boat Club by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 29, 2018
aribisala0:

That is not the fault of government but chess players who need to learn from Boat Owners and organize themselves differently
I don't think you're getting me right. The NCF is a federation just like the Nigerian Football Federation, Nigerian Basketball Association, etc. They couldn't even sponsor the national team to participate in the World Chess Olympiad, CPAN had to be soliciting for funds from different donors and sponsors. The Lagos state branch is also worthless because they loot the money meant to pay the athletes (and give them cheap 'gifts' instead), and they get away with it because nobody seems to care about chess.Can you imagine Nigeria qualifying for the world cup (football) and getting soccer balls and jerseys as "gifts"? What I'm saying is that the N50 million naira given to this Boat Club could've been used to sponsor a chess tournament, like you said.

(1) (Reply)

See Who Initiated The (MKO Abiola) June 12 Democracy Day - Picture + Video / BREAKING: JUNE 12!!! Olusegun Obasanjo, Ibrahim Babangida, Dump President Buhari / Edo Man Calls Out Afonjas For Betraying The South And Their Yoruba Brothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.