Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,075 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:28 AM

So You Think You Are Not Corrupt? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / So You Think You Are Not Corrupt? (454 Views)

Roman Abramovich: New Evidence Highlights Corrupt Deals / Is It True Jerry Rawlings Invited Ghana's Corrupt Leaders And Bombed Them All? / Watch As Ghana President Goes Under Cover To Burst Corrupt Police Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

So You Think You Are Not Corrupt? by Damdeyz(m): 8:38pm On May 29, 2018
SO YOU THINK YOU ARE NOT CORRUPT?
Nigeria, my lovely Nigeria, my very own fatherland whose blood courses through my veins, blessed with abundance of minerals, unimaginable wealth and human resources. Nigeria my motherland, my very own birth land, Giant of Africa, giant of corruption, dwarf of transparency, midget of equity, equality and scrupulousness. A country plagued with, ethnocentrism, unfettered corruption and prebendalism; where government officials see public funds as perquisites and entitlements, siphoning gargantuan sums of money to feather the nest of they and their ilk.
Yes Nigeria tops the chart of the five most corrupt countries on the face of the earth, yes our leaders are perfidious. However, while not trying to call bluff the obnoxious money laundering and racketeering of our leaders, I say enough of the crucifixion! It is time for a bitter introspection, to stop pointing accusatory fingers and scrutinize our very own souls and decipher where we’ve played a role in the many intricacies of this corruption quagmire.
So here I have a question for you, yes you, you who are quick to hurl assaults and to make statements laden with contempt about the ever-thieving politicians, you who looks to extricate the toothpick in the leaders’ eyes, but is oblivious to the pole embedded in your eyes.
Mr. Lecturer, you who whine about your withheld entitlements by the government but mandate the sales of your archaic, outdated handouts for exorbitant prices, with brazen threats in the event of failure of purchase by your students. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Prof, you who go on ceaseless, intermittent strikes due to the corrupt government yet you have ladies willy-nilly sleep with you against their volition or they never pass your course. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Oga manager, with the deft scrawl of a fountain pen you add zeros to the accounts and divert such fictitious funds to your coffers and fire those who do not cooperate in your machinations. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Mr undergraduate guyman, you falsify the school fee and extort more than required from your dad to propagate your riotous living. You who ‘sort’ lecturers for grades. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Beautiful slay queen, you collect sums for ‘DIC’ ‘TION’ and ‘ARY’ textbooks from your parents to advance your slaying quest. You who pawn your body for A’s and B’s. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Mr business man ,you who order for importation of fake and substandard drugs for avaricious profits to the detriment of human life. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Oga police, san sir! No automobile can get past you without furtively handing you crumpled ‘wazobia’. If not, you delay them indefinitely until they yield or better still, blow their fuse―a perfect alibi to detain and milk them of more money. You who won’t move as much as a muscle until you collect ‘roja’ money from a victim before inspecting a case. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Fuel attendant, you fidget with the dispenser and fob customers off; you put the nozzle into the fuel receptacle to sell ‘air’, you pool a wool over customers’ eyes by the accurate data on the counter. So you think you’re not corrupt?
Secondary school house captain, you conjure ten non-existent names and have the house master obliviously allot these names to dining tables; where you and your cohorts share ten ill-gotten extra plates of food. So you think you’re not corrupt?
You didn’t find a question that pertains to you? Ask yourself where possibly you might be contributing your own insidious quota to the corruption spree.
Is it true that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and that we are all chips off the old block? Could it be that the genes of my motherland have sown inextricably in me, that I can’t but step into the smelling shoes of my predecessors that have been trodden deep in putridity? Am I ineluctably bound to enact the same wanton disregard and flagrant flouting of the rule of law that I’ve witnessed for two decades and counting?
Remember the words of Swiss psychiatrist and founder of analytical psychology “if there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could be better changed in ourselves”, and now I say “if there is anything that we wish to change in our country Nigeria, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could be better changed in ourselves” everyone thinks of changing Nigeria but no one thinks of changing himself. We must be the change we want to see in our Great Nation. Only by doing this can we begin to attenuate this dire retrogression we’ve wind up in and redeem our country from this Dark Age.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Royal Navy Sack Top Carrier Captain For 'Using Official Car At Weekend' (Photos) / Spanking Your Child At Home Is Now Officially Illegal - South African Court Affi / President Trump's Tweet: Something Big Has Just Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.