Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,083 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News (34158 Views)

Police Salaries In Major Countries Of The World. / IGP To Banks: Stop Delaying Police Salaries / Arbitrary Deductions From Police Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by selingel: 9:45pm On May 28, 2010
FG to increase police salaries
Latest News May 28, 2010

The Minister of Police Affairs Alhaji Adamu Wasiri has disclosed that the Federal Government is considering an increase in the salaries and allowances of officers and men of the Nigerian Police.

He stated that the government will also soon embark on the massive facelift and rehabilitation of Police barracks and offices across the country.
The Minister who stated this in Makurdi while fielding questions from newsmen informed that the move is part of the new welfare package being put in place and aimed at boosting the moral of men and officers of the Police Force in order to elicit greater efficiency from them.

Alhaji Wasiri who regretted that dilapidated condition of most Police barracks in the country opined that the condition of most police barracks in the country has become a source of worry for the government.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/28/fg-to-increase-police-salaries/
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by selingel: 9:47pm On May 28, 2010
Will this reduce corruption in the force? undecided
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On May 28, 2010
It is hightime the government looks into doing away with the Barracks model . .  have more of these policemen live among the population. That will help inject more respect into some of them.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Seun(m): 10:00pm On May 28, 2010
Do Nigerian policemen live in barracks? If that's the case, that should be changed. They need more empathy.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by ToToChoper: 10:03pm On May 28, 2010
selingel:

FG to increase police salaries
Latest News May 28, 2010

The Minister of Police Affairs Alhaji Adamu Wasiri has disclosed that the Federal Government is considering an increase in the salaries and allowances of officers and men of the Nigerian Police.

He stated that the government will also soon embark on the massive facelift and rehabilitation of Police barracks and offices across the country.
The Minister who stated this in Makurdi while fielding questions from newsmen informed that the move is part of the new welfare package being put in place and aimed at boosting the moral of men and officers of the Police Force in order to elicit greater efficiency from them.

Alhaji Wasiri who regretted that dilapidated condition of most Police barracks in the country opined that the condition of most police barracks in the country has become a source of worry for the government.

-http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/28/fg-to-increase-police-salaries/

Are you kidding me--------"considering?"-----obviously a dog and pony show for the press conference.

Who knows how long the FG would be considering this for, prolly till the next administration
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 28, 2010
As if that will stop them from collecting their normal #20 buck.abeg make i comot here jo
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On May 28, 2010
Come to think of it. . . didn't the same government deal with this same last year, and the year before that, and the year before that? ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Nobody: 10:36pm On May 28, 2010
^^^election is coming.what do you expect from a govt that needs the police to coordinate the rigging/ ballot-snatching by political thugs.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by redsun(m): 10:44pm On May 28, 2010
Seun:

Do Nigerian policemen live in barracks? If that's the case, that should be changed. They need more empathy.

I don't get u.Don't u live in nigeria?Abi u just dey crack joke?
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by bibiking1(m): 10:46pm On May 28, 2010
well the extra thousand from 8500 to 9500 would serve well in acquring an extra plate of okporoko peppersoup, a chilled bottle of lager and a few sticks of cigarette to wash it down! And of course if there is a spare 200 left in it the prostitute at the corner gets it! Nah!!! I know what you're thinking, ,,,,,,the wife gets nothing, and life continues!
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 28, 2010
bibiking1:

well the extra thousand from 8500 to 9500 would serve well in acquring an extra plate of okporoko peppersoup, a chilled bottle of lager and a few sticks of cigarette to wash it down! And of course if there is a spare 200 left in it the love-peddler at the corner gets it! Nah!!! I know what you're thinking, ,,,,,,the wife gets nothing, and life continues!
i guess the men in black can also do with more children,
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by bibiking1(m): 11:08pm On May 28, 2010
Seun:

You are very correct!!!! Infact they should be moved into the Inner Chambers of the house of Assembly and fed five times a day! oooh! where did good men like you go to? i bet you also would suggest the soldiers be immediately shown 'empathy' and never be sent to the war fronts again! You are such a realistic individual! sad
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by sjeezy8: 11:12pm On May 28, 2010
good
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Fhemmmy: 1:16am On May 29, 2010
This is a good news, hope the effect will be good as well.
Or will it be more money for the CHief to freeze in an account for like 3 months before paying the cops?
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Hardtalk: 9:30am On May 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

This is a good news, hope the effect will be good as well.
Or will it be more money for the CHief to freeze in an account for like 3 months before paying the cops?

In Nigeria, everything impossible is possible grin.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by redsun(m): 12:47pm On May 29, 2010
Maybe it will boost the morals of the demoralized nigerian police.Police in the real world are relatively well off and well respected individuals,but in nigeria,they are riff raffs,scums that can easily be used by nefarious leaders for their nefarious activities.

Incentives can go a long way in bringing the best out of people but in nigeria,who knows?it could make matter worse,it could mean more money for more alcohol and 24/7 drunken police officers melting more havoc.

It is only in nigeria that a drunk police officer on duty hugs a very drunk driver,collect egunje(bribe) and let him or her continue with the driving.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Otobroto(f): 2:40pm On May 29, 2010
redsun:

Maybe it will boost the morals of the demoralized nigerian police.Police in the real world are relatively well off and well respected individuals,but in nigeria,they are riff raffs,scums that can easily be used by nefarious leaders for their nefarious activities.

Incentives can go a long way in bringing the best out of people but in nigeria,who knows?it could make matter worse,it could mean more money for more alcohol and 24/7 drunken police officers melting more havoc.

It is only in nigeria that a drunk police officer on duty hugs a very drunk driver,collect egunje(bribe) and let him or her continue with the driving.

Indeed, but the case in Nigeria is different.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by hackney(m): 3:34pm On May 29, 2010
It is good news that salaries are to be increased for the police because they are human beings too.
However, i don't think that it will enhance the efficiency of the police.

The Nigerian society is unique in the sense that the problems therein have no solution.
A well paid police man in nigeria is less likely to risk his life fighting crime hence the pot bellies
on the well paid ones.

On the other hand, a poorly paid police man does not see why he will risk his life for peanuts.
This sort of situation is only found in Nigeria.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Theblessed(f): 3:45pm On May 29, 2010
[b]And you think this would solve the problem? Inasmuch as I support Police salary increment, it doesn't really matter how much and how often the increments are made.  You see, Nigerian Police will always find a way to take bribe.  Remember, as long as corruption exist in this country and people are prepared to feed it, in order to achieve their ambitious aims/goals in life, police will always demand bribe. 

You can pay them a billion Naira a month or put them on the same salary scale as their Uk and American counterparts are right now, Nigerian Police will still need bribe - if not for themselves/immediate family, it must be for a distant relative some where. 
Reason being that, Nigerians are very ambition and highly competitive people who are never satisfied or contented with the little they have.  We have to have what our neighbours have got even though we don't really have the means i.e. money and don't really need it. We have to catch up with the Joneses and sure we will, come rain and high mountains - that's the issue. 

Listen, don't you want your own 4 x 4 or Rolls Royce?? Well, Police do too and, that's where the problem emanates! grin grin grin grin grin

Again, it doesn't matter how big their salaries, still do it though!
[/b]
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Oboma1(m): 4:54pm On May 29, 2010
Theblessed:

[b]And you think this would solve the problem? Inasmuch as I support Police salary increment, it doesn't really matter how much and how often the increments are made.  You see, Nigerian Police will always find a way to take bribe.  Remember, as long as corruption exist in this country and people are prepared to feed it, in order to achieve their ambitious aims/goals in life, police will always demand bribe. 

You can pay them a billion Naira a month or put them on the same salary scale as their Uk and American counterparts are right now, Nigerian Police will still need bribe - if not for themselves/immediate family, it must be for a distant relative some where. 
Reason being that, Nigerians are very ambition and highly competitive people who are never satisfied or contented with the little they have.  We have to have what our neighbours have got even though we don't really have the means i.e. money and don't really need it. We have to catch up with the Joneses and sure we will, come rain and high mountains - that's the issue. 

Listen, don't you want your own 4 x 4 or Rolls Royce?? Well, Police do too and, that's where the problem emanates! grin grin grin grin grin

[/b]

That thing called bribe, can never be taken away from NPF even if they are earning N100,000 as the least salary.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by philip0906(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2010
@oboma1
GBAM!!!!
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by location(m): 5:30pm On May 29, 2010
i think its a great achievement for the police force. hope this will stop the twenty twenty naira bribe on nigeria's high way shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by shollyboy2: 5:58pm On May 29, 2010
its every year that we hear that they increase thier salaries,yet that does not stop them from collecting 20 naira at check point, its now even 50naira
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Unclekiss(m): 6:42pm On May 29, 2010
is ok.fg go ahead to do it.i love naija.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by redsun(m): 6:47pm On May 29, 2010
The only way nigeria can take shape is if we have credible judiciary and police force,right now,they are non existent.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Jeboy(m): 6:51pm On May 29, 2010
Dont know why 90% Nigerians are saddist. There is nothing the govt. will do that someone will not read wrong motive into.If Police salary is very small u ll accuse FG of not taking care of them while allocating most of the resources to themselves. Do a research and you ll find out Nigerian Police are one of the least paid in the world and that is why FG is trying to make it a worth while career so that people can be encouraged and boosted. Also caution that u re likely to lose a good job when they start disciplinary measures in the force.

The bottom line is to whom much is expected, much should be given.Left for me I ll support FG paying the least officer 50k then I ll now do a campaign of anti-corruption on them.

To my dear nairalanders, let us not be too pessimistic about issues, its true the way our leaders have ruled in d past has made us super biased but even many of us wouldnt have made a difference if given opportunity. please lets grow up.One love
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Oboma1(m): 6:54pm On May 29, 2010
Jeboy:

Dont know why 90% Nigerians are saddist. There is nothing the govt. will do that someone will not read wrong motive into.If Police salary is very small u ll accuse FG of not taking care of them while allocating most of the resources to themselves. Do a research and you ll find out Nigerian Police are one of the least paid in the world and that is why FG is trying to make it a worth while career so that people can be encouraged and boosted. Also caution that u re likely to lose a good job when they start disciplinary measures in the force.

The bottom line is to whom much is expected, much should be given.Left for me I ll support FG paying the least officer 50k then I ll now do a campaign of anti-corruption on them.

To my dear nairalanders, let us not be too pessimistic about issues, its true the way our leaders have ruled in d past has made us super biased but even many of us wouldnt have made a difference if given opportunity. please lets grow up.One love

Just like many others here, no one is against this increment, but will it stop corruption in the force? That is the issue.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 29, 2010
@Post
I support this.

Maybe this eventually reduce their wiliness to collect bribes along the road side. Or even stop them from thieving.
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 29, 2010
Theblessed:

[/b]

Or maybe not lol
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Oboma1(m): 7:06pm On May 29, 2010
FL Gators:

@Post
I support this.

Maybe this eventually reduce their wiliness to collect bribes along the road side. Or even stop them from thieving.

grin grin
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by redsun(m): 7:22pm On May 29, 2010
Nigerian politicians would be the last people that will improve the standard of nigerian police because if they do,it will turn against them,police will begin to do their work and start asking questions instead looking the other way.They don't want that,they want subdued and demoralized police that they can easily manipulate,unless of course jonathan is truely humane and up to something good,he may probably be another Idiagbon in agbada
Re: Fg To Increase Police Salaries - Latest News by Rastamann: 7:24pm On May 29, 2010
This is kobo wise naira foolish! Corruption is in their blood, so no matter the amount of increasement, the police will still have illegal road blocks and kill innocent civilians over as little as five naira. Corruption flows in their blood.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fresh Crisis Hits APC, Deputy National Publicity Scribe Asks Chairman To Resign / View Of BIAFRA From An EDO Perceptive / INEC Postpones Edo Election By Two Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.