Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,844 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? (20832 Views)

Poll: Which practise is more important?

Tithing (God 'commands' it): 33% (22 votes)
Giving to the needy (more helpful): 66% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Asks Church To Return His Tithes Or Face Court Action / Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Benefits Of Paying Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by adconline(m): 2:53pm On Mar 20, 2007
I had an argument with a friend who felt that it be would better to give to the church than to needy. I believe that I should give to needy before church.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by naijacutee(f): 12:18am On Mar 21, 2007
I'd rather give to the needy too, even though I will gladly give to the church. I guess Jesus said when we do things for the needy, we are doing it for him so it shouldn't really matter how we give - Just as long as we do follow our hearts and give. (If that makes any sense)
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by monshege: 1:38am On Mar 21, 2007
adconline:

I had an argument with a friend who felt that it be would better to give to the Church than to needy. I believe that I should give to needy before church

give to ceaser what belongs to ceasar and to God what belongs to God. dont use Peter to pay Paul. in Malachi 3:8-12 talked about robbing God in our tithes and offerings. it is good to give to the needy "1Timothy 5:8 talked about providing for our families and relatives that may be in need. Jesus also talked about what you do to the least of the brethren, thats what you do unto me. if you help the needy, you are helping him (Christ)
in other words, it is good you give to both the church and to the needy, however if you wanna choose between the two, i would say church cos church in return will provide to the needy by doing the work and will of God. so one way or the other, it will still come back to the needy. you may ask, why not give it directly to the needy? because by receiving from the church, a soul may be drawn to Christ, but by receiving from you, they put it and put into their pocket without yu pasing a message across. grin cheers
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 5:01pm On Mar 21, 2007
@topic,

Here is what Jesus has to say: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TV01(m): 5:09pm On Mar 21, 2007
TayoD:

Here is what Jesus has to say: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Correct, he also said this;

Luke 5:14 ~ And He charged him to tell no one, "But go and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering for your cleansing, as a testimony to them, just as Moses commanded."

And underwent this;

Luke 2:21~  And when eight days were completed for the circumcision of the Child, His name was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.

The Lords mission would have been aborted if He broke the law, or was party to any one else breaking it.

Don't let anyone bring you into bondage through the law of Moses. In Christ we have liberty.

God bless
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 5:17pm On Mar 21, 2007
@TV01,

And what law of Moses are we talking about here?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 21, 2007
you two again cry cry cry cry
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 11:52pm On Mar 21, 2007
Tithe is unneccessary under the new covenant.  however, we are admonished to give to the needy, and to give cheerfully in general.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by monshege: 12:48am On Mar 22, 2007
trini_girl:

Tithe is unneccessary under the new covenant. however, we are admonished to give to the needy.

@Trini_girl shocked where did you get that quotation under the new covenant?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 1:45am On Mar 22, 2007
monshege:

@Trini_girl shocked where did you get that quotation under the new covenant?

If you're asking if that statement is in the new testament. Obviously not.
My questions to you is, where are we admonished to pay tithe in the new testament.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by monshege: 2:09am On Mar 22, 2007
@trini_girl
New Testament and old testament are still part of the bible and we ought to abide by what they say, however focusing on tithing based on New testament, read Mat. 23:23 "Jesus admonished the Pharisees and teachers of the law to practice justice, mercy and faithfulness without neglecting tithing"
read Hebrews 7; if tithing wasnt important, we wouldnt have been reminded that Abraham gave his tithe to Melchizedek who represents Jesus .
having asked just about New testament, i take it that you realize the mention of "tithe/offering" in couple of places in the old testament especially in Mal. 3:8
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by IBEXY(m): 9:38am On Mar 22, 2007
I would rather make an annonymous gift to the needy than make those get rich quick pastors richer. Face reality and you will see. Majority of the churches are just businesses preaching nothing but prosperity and "get rich or die trying" doctrines.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by ayomajek(f): 9:48am On Mar 22, 2007
If you read the majority of the letters in the new testament we are constantly reminded that the apostles need financial support to continue their work and that the church needs donation to cater for the needy, the widows, fatherless etc etc.

Originally the whole point of the tithe was to pay the expenses of church officials i.e. rent, feeding allowance, living allowance (and not mansions and expensive cars and other frivolous stuff!) and for the church to spend whatever is left over on the needy. This is still practiced in the older churches like Catholic/Anglican/Methodist. Out of the tithes and donations the priests are paid a salary sufficient for a reasonable lifestyle and the rest is spent on feeding the homeless, visiting people in prison etc etc.

So when you paid your tithe, you knew the church and the needy would automatically get their share.

I understand that in many pentecostal/newer churches, tithes are spent on lavish decorations for the church buildings and other luxuries and a lot more is spent on recruiting new (wealthy) members than on ministering to poor folks.

In any case, if placed in such a situation I would rather give directly to the needy, but God sees the heart and he knows your intentions when you are giving so its all good.

Any members of these churches please enlighten us as to how it works.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by tenhap(m): 9:56am On Mar 22, 2007
Truth be told,
Try this:
Pay ur tithe every month for a year, observe the status of ur finances
Next do not pay at all for the very next year, observe the difference
I guess u would be in a better position to tell urself the truth.

Give to the needy, we should. But this in no way should substitute ur tithe, which DOES NOT belong to you, but GOD!!

1 Like

Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Maneater1(f): 10:00am On Mar 22, 2007
i do both. God commandede us in the bible, (somewhere in corithians) that it is compulsory to pay ur tithe.

And those who give to the poor and fatherless, have the blessings of the lord. It wont kill u to give God a mere 10% of your earnings and it wont kill you to be compassionate and help the less priviledged.

Give and it will come back to you.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Ndipe(m): 10:06am On Mar 22, 2007
We should pay our tithes, and at the same time, give to the needy. We should not bypass one for the other. Both of them are essential commandments for Christians. One question though, are we Christians obligated to donate 10% of our earnings as tithes, or there is no just fixed limit?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Grouppoint(m): 10:21am On Mar 22, 2007
tenhap:

Truth be told,
Try this:
Pay your tithe every month for a year, observe the status of your finances
Next do not pay at all for the very next year, observe the difference
I guess u would be in a better position to tell yourself the truth.

Many back home have paid tithe for 10 years, but their finances have gotten worse.

Your financial status is a combination of many factors, of which tithing or giving is a small part of. Otherwise, how can you explain Arab billionaires, Russian tycoons, American Magnates, who neither pay tithe nor really believe in the existence of the Most High God?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by rowlandwhy: 10:41am On Mar 22, 2007
the bible says in Malachi 3:10 that we should bring all tithes into the house of God.
I dont see any reason giving the needy in place of tithe payment.
First of all pay tithe and also reserve for the needy too if you feel like giving to the needy, but God's own should be first.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by ishmael(m): 11:14am On Mar 22, 2007
rowlandwhy:

the bible says in Malachi 3:10 that we should bring all tithes into the house of God.
I don't see any reason giving the needy in place of tithe payment.
First of all pay tithe and also reserve for the needy too if you feel like giving to the needy, but God's own should be first.

Does God spend money?? STOP decieving yourself that you are giving money to God; you give your money to your Pastor (Man Of God).
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Kinsh(f): 11:19am On Mar 22, 2007
Do y'all know what we call TAX?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Kinsh(f): 11:29am On Mar 22, 2007
It is a certain % of ur income deducted by the government. They know that if they do not deduct it b4 u recieve ur income wohwohwooo cheesy No way!!! they'r gonna get it back wink HELL NO!!!! 4 real!!! cheesy. Aint givin no1 my hard earned money.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by rowlandwhy: 11:41am On Mar 22, 2007
ishmael:

Does God spend money?? STOP decieving yourself that you are giving money to God; you give your money to your Pastor (Man Of God).

Ishmeal, I guess u ar not a christian and u dont know what i am talking about ,
so i think it is better for you to keep quiet than to speak condemnation unto yourself.
Christians in the house can reason with me.
thanks
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Kinsh(f): 11:56am On Mar 22, 2007
[b]I think that's what should b done to everyone before we get our income. The "Tithe" should b deducted from our wages by the church. It is a COMMMANDMENT. " Bring ye all tithe and offering, " Its not a "would you like" affair or a pleading thing. ITS IS OBLIGATORY. So no controversy. It must be paid. Even God answered the people when they ask "Where have we robbed you" he said "in tithe and offering". Not just "in tithe". Offering to the needy is also a way of giving to God. We all know that. But giving the needy and not paying your tithe and using the fact that u give the needy as an excuse you are decieving yourself. Well you can't force people to do things especially when it comes to money. But if u don't pay your tithe wait,  READ THIS!!!

7 "Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to   
    me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
8 "But you ask, 'How are we to return?'
   "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
   "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
   "In tithes and offerings.
9  You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me.
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the
     LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing
that you will not have room enough for it.
11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty.
12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

Malachi 3 vs 7 - 12
"Robbing God"

Giving is for your own sake. "Give and it shall be given unto u". Tithe is also for your own sake to cause the blessing of God upon you. It is a commandement with a promise. Proving God to test. What do you think made God say "prove me to test",  I'll advise you to do so in the right way. He is a merciful God and also a consuming fire.[/b]
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by brownbaby(f): 11:57am On Mar 22, 2007
U've all spoken well.

But Mal.3:10-12 "[i][/i]Bring ye all tithes to the house of the lord, "

This is God's commandment to us and this is the only place where god said we should put Him to a test, I so much honour that request from God and He has not failed in his promise that follows that request (Take time to read that passage). I went ahead to really put Him to test by increase the 10% and asked Him in return to suprise me as I fulfill my part of the bargain, lo and behold, i got a change of Job with double the salary i was getting, later I got a car with little of my money in it.

Dont wanna know if the pastors feeds from it or who spends it, as long as i'm blessed in that church , i pay my tithe according to the word of God and i tell you he blesses me in return.

I think giving to the needy is just normal when you have the means, and there is no specified amount, but since tithe giving is a commandment with condition and promise it is quite important, just see it like the whole money (Ur Income) is not urs but Gods and He dashes u 90%  shocked so just take the 90 and return His 10% simple.

Note: 10% the bible says, could be more bt not less to achieve the result. Also remember ur financial status is a combination of many factors, so balance all other equations.

Try it, challenge God. cool

1 Like

Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Ebunwumike: 11:59am On Mar 22, 2007
Tithing and giving to the needy are two different things entirely. The bible says in malachi chapter 3, pay ye all your tihe to my house so that there may be meat in my house and see whether i will not devour the devourer for your sake. One tenth-tithe  of our income is very necessary for us to pay.

Giving to the needy is a voluntary thing, when you love, you will give. Love ur neighbour as yourself. You dont give to man what belongs to God.  Their is nothing bad in giving to the needy. Tithe and Giving to the needy are important. Remember you give to ceasar what is ceasar and give to God what is God. BOTH ARE VERY IMPORTANT BUT ALWAYS CONSIDER GOD FIRST.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by gospelman(m): 12:09pm On Mar 22, 2007
Hello everyone.
First,I would want to assume that everyone that commented is actually born again.Otherwise,you are not qualified to comment on tithing.
Now,I would like to say a big thanks to Tenhap,Monshege and Man-eater.
Tithing is compulsory if you are born again.The one who benefits in the end is the tither not God.So,I really think it is up to you to decide which direction you want to go.
We tithe because God said to tithe.Only the dishonest starts to debate about tithing:that by tithing you are enriching your Pastor.To the Christians in here,read Tenhap's post:that's just the botom lime.

Now,someone mentioned the Arab billionaires and stuff.You only did so because you do not know the scriptures.The Christian is wealthier than those guys you mentioned but because you are looking at the outward appearance,you think otherwise.Even some christians do not know this:there is he that is rich but makes himself poor.
The bible says God gives to the wicked anguish to labour and heap up wealth for the righteous.So if you know what time it is in the spirit,you will those guys are fulfilling scripture.For most of us who are enlightened spiritually,we do not get jealous,we thank God for them because the wealth is ultimately going to be transfered to us.

You may want to know how.But let me ask you,how did Celtel acquuire Vmobile? etc.So be smart and do what God says.
What God tells you to do may sound ridiculous,but if He said it,do it and don't argue because you are being trained to handle financial authority.By the time that happens you'd be glad you did.Then those who are arguing and complaining will still be the ones  arguing and complaining then.

Be wise.The devil does not want you to prosper,so he comes up with that thought in your heart.If you give to the needy(which is scriptural),you will get the blessing that comes from giving to the needy.And if you pay your tithes(which is scriptura and compulsory) you'd get the blessing too.
Note that not giving your tithe is equal to robbing God.Not giving to the needing is not robbery:you will just get the reward of not doing that.

PEACE!

1 Like

Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by IBEXY(m): 12:23pm On Mar 22, 2007
Why are all references here being drawn from the bible? is tithing only for christians? What happens to those pastors who specify what currency you should appraoch the altar with durring offering?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by richylaw(m): 1:00pm On Mar 22, 2007
@ ibexy, those ones are not pastors they are wolves in sheep skin, which kind thing be dat.? na in get my hard earn currency for me? " I reject satan" smiley

On a more serious note tithe and giving to the needy are two different entity and both needs to be done as a Christian. Your tithe is more mandatory because the needy will / may benefit from it if your church is not gluttonous.
Remember your mind is your belief and develops your faith to serve God in the right way He has commanded.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by ishmael(m): 1:21pm On Mar 22, 2007
rowlandwhy:

Ishmeal, I guess u ar not a christian and u don't know what i am talking about ,
so i think it is better for you to keep quiet than to speak condemnation unto yourself.
Christians in the house can reason with me.
thanks

May shango fire you for saying that i'm not a christian. How do you know who a christian is?? I became a christian even before you; you hear?? nonsense. Ok i'm a juju worshipper!!
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by rowlandwhy: 1:46pm On Mar 22, 2007
ishmael:

May shango fire you for saying that i'm not a christian. How do you know who a christian is?? I became a christian even before you; you hear?? nonsense. Ok i'm a juju worshipper!!

LOL Ishmeal,
U atitude didnt still justify u as a christian as u can see i christian (born again) cant curse like this,
Anyway, I still stand on my word.
@ topic; u can see that the atmosphere has been favourable to the christians as in tithe paying been ok.
regards,
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 1:54pm On Mar 22, 2007
@monshege
@trini_girl
New Testament and old testament are still part of the bible and we ought to abide by what they say, however focusing on tithing based on New testament, read Mat. 23:23 "Jesus admonished the Pharisees and teachers of the law to practice justice, mercy and faithfulness without neglecting tithing"
read Hebrews 7; if tithing wasnt important, we wouldnt have been reminded that Abraham gave his tithe to Melchizedek who represents Jesus .
having asked just about New testament, i take it that you realize the mention of "tithe/offering" in couple of places in the old testament especially in Mal. 3:8

The Old Testament also says and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. It also says that the high priest needs to make sacrifice to atone for our sin. I thought Jesus is not our great high priest who died for all. And I'm quite sure he is the better covenanat. Why then did He die? I'm not going to get into another long religous debate over this since it has been covered at least 3 times on this forum. 

If you consider yourself a Pharisee, according to the scripture you chose, and if you choose to live under the Law of Moses, and not by the grace of God for which Jesus suffered die and resurrected so that we might enjoy, suit yourself. Those who live by law, will also be judged by the law.  Just remember if you follow one, you have to follow all.  Continue to live in bondage if you please.

Tithe is a noose around every christian's neck.  A scheme manipulated and perpetrated by religious institutions to fatten to pockets of church leadership.  IT IS NOT FOR TODAY'S BODY OF CHRIST!

Perhaps later if I feel like it I'll set you straight with the relevent scriptures. But I have to work now. grin
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 2:08pm On Mar 22, 2007
Points to note

1. Tithing was never money, it was food.
2. Tithing was for the tribes of Israel
3. Tithing was under old testament law.
4. We no longer live under law, but under the dispensation of grace.
5. We are admonished to give, give cheerfully out of love on another and for God, whether it's 5, 10, 15 or 50%
6. The death and resurrection of Jesus has given us a wonderful, better NEW covenant, that replaces the covenant
    of law and judgement with mercy and grace.
7. Nowhere in the new testament is there scripture that supports the giving of 10% of you salary to a religous 
institution
8. Nowhere under the new convenant does it make tithing a mandatory pre requisite for being a "member" of any religous institution.
9. Religion has used this lie for their own personal gain and is totally contrary to the teachings of Christ.
10.  The tithe (food) in the old testament was never used for the church building, but kept in a storehouse so that those in need, in times of drought can be fed.
11.  The principle of the tithe is the same principle in the new testament.  Give and it shall be given back to you, sow and you shall reap harvest. Both substantially and spiritually.

We need to get out of this "my pastor said" mentality of christianity.
Read your Bible!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lust Is the Problem, Not Nudity, For Without Lust, Nudity Is Nothing / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.