Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,547 members, 7,809,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? (684 Views)

Who Can Solve This Maths? / Help,solve This Maths. / Great Mathematicians Help Me Solve This Maths Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Mustiboy(m): 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
I don't understand why 6mn-4m... changed to 6mn+4m...
This same thing happened here. When + was added to -3 Why are the multiplication signs changing?

Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by chicoMX(m): 7:12pm On Jun 01, 2018
Everything inside the bracket was multiplied by negative sign outside the bracket. That's why 6mn changed to -6mn, and subsequently -4m^2n^3 changed to 4m^2n^3
Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Techcrunchng(m): 7:14pm On Jun 01, 2018
- x - =+
- x + =-
Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Mustiboy(m): 10:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
chicoMX:
Everything inside the bracket was multiplied by negative sign outside the bracket. That's why 6mn changed to -6mn, and subsequently -4m^2n^3 changed to 4m^2n^3
thank you so much. I never knew that. Now, I understand. God bless you
Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Mustiboy(m): 10:04pm On Jun 01, 2018
Techcrunchng:
- x - =+ - x + =-
yes, I understand now God bless you

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Mustiboy(m): 6:55am On Jun 02, 2018
chicoMX:
I understand the upper one now as the result came by multiplication.
What about this one I just highlighted? No multiplication took place here, yet (-3) was bracketed and a summation + sign precedes it. Where did the "+" come from? Can u explain the whole highlighted aspect in red, please?
I'm really sorry for the questions. I just started studying mathematics by myself the previous month (with no idea of any calculations before) , and I've been doing quiet well even in some more complex topics but this particular one I'm yet to understand.

Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by chicoMX(m): 8:34am On Jun 02, 2018
Mustiboy:
I understand the upper one now as the result came by multiplication.
What about this one I just highlighted? No multiplication took place here, yet (-3) was bracketed and a summation + sign precedes it. Where did the "+" come from? Can u explain the whole highlighted aspect in red, please?
I'm really sorry for the questions. I just started studying mathematics by myself the previous month (with no idea of any calculations before) , and I've been doing quiet well even in some more complex topics but this particular one I'm yet to understand.
After multiplying out the bracket
You collect like terms, -3+6=3
If you multiply +(-3+6) you will still get -3+6
Nothing has taken place, it's just for convenience
Re: Can Somebody, Please, Explain This Maths To Me? by Mustiboy(m): 1:48pm On Jun 02, 2018
chicoMX:
After multiplying out the bracket
You collect like terms, -3+6=3
If you multiply +(-3+6) you will still get -3+6
Nothing has taken place, it's just for convenience
oh! Beautiful! I wouldn't think of it that way if I wasn't thought. Thanks, bro.

(1) (Reply)

Study On Free Tuition In Germany At Universities Of Bremen Goethe / Despite My Age I Still Want To Study Medicine / Hostel Accommodation(eksu Freshers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.