Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,029 members, 7,803,462 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... (60279 Views)

Senator Ben Murray Bruce Withdraws From Senatorial Race / Ben Murray-Bruce Welcomes Saraki To PDP / Ben Murray-Bruce: Poverty Is The Fastest Growing Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by brodalokie: 9:39am On Jun 02, 2018
seguno2:

Do you have what God can use to beat those who have given corruption bigger muscles?
Do you have your PVC ready as well as your family and friends

I have Jesus. He is the only person who can wound the snake (dragon, beast, satan). Follow me

Someone told me last week through chat that it is certain, the Christian faith will be defeated. The man had always quoted the Bible and I thought he was a Christian until I tried him with a few scriptures.
Pagan Rome becomes Papal Rome and the Dragon deadly wound was healed. Jesus is specialized in bruising the dragon's head. So it is Jesus to call unto. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principality and powers, spiritual wickedness in high places and rulers of darkness of this world. The matrix
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by LIFEisSIMPLE: 9:40am On Jun 02, 2018
Lol. You are a fool grin
Jones4190:
After what RAMOS did to SALAH I now understand why RAMS are killed during SALLAH�
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by malware: 9:42am On Jun 02, 2018
zomoears:

If you are familiar with taxes in the UK, you will know why it costs that much.

If produced here in Naija, would have cost far less than that. Plus the immense benefit to the local economy. Plus the infusion of skilled manpower in that area. So many pluses if it was produced in Naija.

Lets not miss d opportunity to learn from this.

What about cheap production cost, occasioned by constant electricity and proximity to raw materials in the UK compared to Nigeria?
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Ikpongiton: 9:43am On Jun 02, 2018
dominique:
Nonsense tweet. So Nike that paid good money to sponsor the super eagle's kits should now allow aba tailors sew the jerseys? What will be Nike's gain then? Aba tailors should go and sponsor the Super Eagle naa. Someone that didn't publish his own book in hisnon country is now calling out a foreign brand for doing their business in their country. Hypocrite senator
it will also be non sense if nike have it's production plant in aba.another nonsense comment
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:44am On Jun 02, 2018
dominique:
Nonsense tweet. So Nike that paid good money to sponsor the super eagle's kits should now allow aba tailors sew the jerseys? What will be Nike's gain then? Aba tailors should go and sponsor the Super Eagle naa. Someone that didn't publish his own book in his country is now calling out a foreign brand for doing their business in their country. Hypocrite senator

1. If Nike can sew the jerseys in the the Philippines or wherever, they can contract them to be sewn in Nigeria as well.

2. It is not the role of Aba tailors to sponsor the National Team.

3. That Ben Bruce is guilty of double standards does not negate the truth of his assertion.

3 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Afamed: 9:47am On Jun 02, 2018
ednut1:
How can ur nickname name be common sense bt u no get sense lol. The hype nike created self no nigerian firm/aba can
Ignore him, he is always on twitter to appeal to the gullible ones. Bruce is one of the hypocrates around us

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by uuzba(m): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2018
plaetton:

All these dummys castigating Ben Bruce seem to have comprehension problems.
It simply amazes me that all you guys all seem to think in one direction only.
I wonder why it appears so difficult to understand the very very important point that he is making or trying to get across.

The issue here is not about branding, but about the actual manufacture of the jerseys. After , Nike Does NOT manufacture anything. Nike contracts the manufacturer of all their products to sweatshops in Third World (shithole) countries in Guatemala, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc. A lot of Nike's products have been found to be made by child labor in slave like conditions in these countries.

The point the Ben Bruce is asking is that why shouldn't Nigerian labour, ABA manufacturing prowess to be specific, not have been considered for the manufacturer of Nigeria's official Jerseys, an enterprise that would have created jobs and $100m into our national coffers ?
Isn't such that one of the functions of a government ? To woo and encourage foreign investments , especially in an area in which we have local talent has been proven to be abundant ?
Are ABA manufacturing prowess not ripe or good enough for international manufacturing contracts from the likes of Nike and other sports wear brands ?

Isn't this where a responsible government that wants to create jobs come in and play a role ?

Ben Bruce is not criticizing Nike's branding or marketing rights. He is criticizing all of us, all Nigerians , our small mentality, our inability to think beyond the periphery.

Don't mind the "importation drunk" Nigerians we have here. In close contact, they would have thrown a tyre around Bruce's neck and burnt him alive without understanding the point he was making.
One needs to tread carefully in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by bobbiiee: 9:52am On Jun 02, 2018
I suggest that Mr Ben should only show movies made in Nigeria, and he should stop selling Coca-Cola which is sold for N100 at shoprite, N300 in silverbird galleria, and start selling Zobo and Kunu.

1 Like

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by omooba969(m): 9:53am On Jun 02, 2018
DaBullIT:
Sense has since departed from him

My only wish is that if 3M were made in Aba, they should be branded Aba made , if the quality is good and stuffs, someone might poke his nose into the business and start a deal

No sir! 'makes more sense to be branded Made in Nigeria. cool

1 Like

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by SIRTee15: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2018
SalamRushdie:

The jerseys were still sewn by sweat shop tailors in Vietnam ...I think y'all are getting the senator all wrong, he is saying Nike should have used local Nigerian tailors to fulfil some the production quota of the jerseys ... Even though it's wishful at this stage it's not bad to explore such in the future because Nigeria's 180 million population is greatly being underutilized

Nike brands are produced in shithole countries but with Nike specification....
Nike will not just outsource it's products to some unknown n untested tailors....
Now what's stopping nigerian textile industries including aba tailors partnering with Nike to convince the latter outsource his production to nigeria....
If Nike knows they got the skill n resources, they will come to nigeria....
That's what i expect the Twitter senator to be discussing....
Those guys get paid so much, they should get working....

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Johnrake69: 9:54am On Jun 02, 2018
Mynd44:

It is bad that Ben does not understand economics.

He does not understand that the hype around the jersey was sponsored by Nike. The only raise the jersey is getting huge ratings is because of the advertisements and not the jersey it self.

And then Ben Bruce is misinformed as Nike have come out to say that the 3 million preorders is actually not true

Wow... How can Nigerians be thinking like this? Is Nike more popular than Nigeria with a population of over 180million people. Since Nike is so popular why are they not promoting the Malaysian Jersey this world Cup year?

In reality Nigeria does not need Nike, its the other way round. And the terms of engagement should be to enrich our economy. Both the original and pirated are made in Asia. So what are we benefiting economically from qualifying for the world Cup?

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by afas7(m): 9:59am On Jun 02, 2018
Mr Senator no go school

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by SalamRushdie: 9:59am On Jun 02, 2018
SIRTee15:

Nike will not just outsource it's products to some unknown n untested tailors....
Now what's stopping nigerian textile industries including aba tailors partnering with Nike to convince the latter outsource his production to nigeria....

We are saying the same thing bro.
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by DaBullIT(m): 10:01am On Jun 02, 2018
Good point , I was focused on Aba rather than Nigeria
omooba969:

No sir! 'makes more sense to be branded Made in Nigeria. cool

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by omooba969(m): 10:04am On Jun 02, 2018
SIRTee15:

@bolded,

That's the job of our dumb polithiefcians, the governors, senators & HoReps liaising with the likes of Ministry of Trade & Commerce + Foreign Affairs Ministry in order to lobby these international big boys for the sake of National interest.

It's usually a combined effort to pull this off, not a child's play coz India, Vietnam, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the likes are not sleeping nor folding arms. cool

1 Like

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by brodalokie: 10:05am On Jun 02, 2018
bobbiiee:
I suggest that Mr Ben should only show movies made in Nigeria, and he should stop selling Coca-Cola which is sold for N100 at shoprite, N300 in silverbird galleria, and start selling Zobo and Kunu.

The kunu produced and packaged by me of course. I am the one with the patent for it
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by robosky02(m): 10:08am On Jun 02, 2018
Mynd44:

It is bad that Ben does not understand economics.

He does not understand that the hype around the jersey was sponsored by Nike. The only raise the jersey is getting huge ratings is because of the advertisements and not the jersey it self.

And then Ben Bruce is misinformed as Nike have come out to say that the 3 million preorders is actually not true
its business the price can't rise if the artificial scarcity is not created
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by lartexbarnty: 10:09am On Jun 02, 2018
Jones4190:
After what RAMOS did to SALAH I now understand why RAMS are killed during SALLAH�

Rams are killed during sallah, but Ramos killed Sallah. get it right.
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by theoldpretender(m): 10:16am On Jun 02, 2018
seguno2:

Chinese people were using their local low quality items instead of selling themselves cheap to oyinbo imports.
Are we superior to the Chinese

China's football kitmaker is the same Nike.

Your points are in order though.

1 Like

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by ollah2: 10:18am On Jun 02, 2018
plaetton:

I wonder why it appears so difficult to understand the very very important point that he is making or trying to get across.

The issue here is not about branding, but about the actual manufacture of the jerseys. After , Nike Does NOT manufacture anything. Nike contracts the manufacturer of all their products to sweatshops in Third World (shithole) countries in Guatemala, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, etc. A lot of Nike's products have been found to be made by child labor in slave like conditions in these countries.

The point the Ben Bruce is asking is that why shouldn't Nigerian labour, ABA manufacturing prowess to be specific, not have been considered for the manufacturer of Nigeria's official Jerseys, an enterprise that would have created jobs and $100m into our national coffers ?
Isn't such that one of the functions of a government ? To woo and encourage foreign investments , especially in an area in which we have local talent has been proven to be abundant ?
Are ABA manufacturing prowess not ripe or good enough for international manufacturing contracts from the likes of Nike and other sports wear brands ?

Isn't this where a responsible government that wants to create jobs come in and play a role ?

Ben Bruce is not criticizing Nike's branding or marketing rights. He is criticizing all of us, all Nigerians , our small mentality, our inability to think beyond the periphery.

The simple fact is Nike has been kitting Nigeria for God knows how long and they have their manufacturers where their products are manufactured. Secondly, why didn't he propose this idea when PDP was in power from 1999 to 2015?

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by SIRTee15: 10:19am On Jun 02, 2018
Johnrake69:

God bless you for this. When are we going to start protecting our interests? Nigeria first! If Nigeria hadn't qualified for the world Cup will Nike be promoting the Jersey? It's sad that even us the masses have relegated the interest of Nigeria to the background while supporting a brand that doesn't give a shi.t if we have jobs or not.

Until we come to the realisation that we have all we need to emerge a top economy, we will be selling our birth rights for a pot of porridge.

If we don't know that Nike needs Nigeria more than we need them then, we are all ignorant.

How can a nation of about 200 million people, with youth unemployment of about 60% keeps exporting jobs that it doesn't have and yet, we are so comfortable with the status quo.

All these clueless Nigerians throwing tantrums at the Senator will still go to church on Sunday to pray for divine intervention for them to secure jobs as if jobs fall from the sky. Sad!

S

Nike is not under any obligation to produce its jerseys in nigeria....
Even American flags n jersey are produced in China.....
Nike has no factory rather it outsource her merchandise to tested n trusted textile manufacturers......
What have nigerian tailors n the textile industry done to market their skills n convince global designers to outsource their products to nigeria....
Nothing....
Sitting down n expecting manna will fall from heaven.....
We are in the era of globalisation, nobody owes u anything...
It's either u are competitive or u are cut out....
Nothing like entitlement mentality, Nigerians better wake up to the reality....
We must work hard for every single job we want to bring into this country....
Asians are mean, they want everything for themselves.....
And senator Ben should be ashamed of himself.....
What effort has he made to help nigerian textile industries become competitive in the globalised textile industry....
We are tired of words, what we need is action.....

4 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Sanchez01: 10:21am On Jun 02, 2018
Esseite:

You are obviously a shallow thinker..
Was the bargain ever made available to internal makers?

So now that we have millions pirated and sold to Nigerians what has the govt earned from it? Hope you

You see why you people are clowns and would never be taken seriously? Could you mention JUST ONE POPULAR BRAND NAME IN ABA OR NIGERIA THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONFIDENTLY TAKEN UP THE CHALLENGE?

The problem with you lot is that you would gladly choose emotions over common sense.

Producing pirated copies is all Aba folks would ever attain as their highest achievement until they learn to think the brand way.

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by BlackBaron: 10:22am On Jun 02, 2018
Mr Ben displays a shocking lack of knowledge which for an established business man concerns me.
Producing the jersey or anything is all about economics. Nigeria would probably have greater costs of production for NIKE if citing lack of electricity, amenities and accessibility to raw materials.

Also, we don't know if its produced in house or not by NIKE. If contracted out, the garment manufacturer may only get $7-$15 per jersey considering economies of scale and such.
There are many other variables involved...,(laws, ease of business, bureaucracy) it is not by mouth that big manufacturers would come to site factories in your country.

Instead, he should start exploring ways to make business environment less stressful than spending his time chatting shite on twitter, Dumb ass!

3 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by seguno2: 10:28am On Jun 02, 2018
brodalokie:
Common sense will tell you that we are by design. Apart from agriculture and bamboo houses, what have we discovered again? There's an intelligence running the globe which can not be ignored even if we wanted to. What started in the middle east is settling in the west coast...

You need to read up on your own history.
The Yoruba word, ERO means machine, which is not in anyway derived from English or Arabic. Don’t you have a similar word in your language?
I also know that we have traditional blacksmiths.

Ofodirinwa:

Old Testament era iron smelting site in Igbo land.

Archaeological investigations at the prehistoric iron smelting site of Lejja, Nigeria, made possible the study of some large scale iron smelting debris – evidence of a once thriving iron smelting community. The main village squarein Lejja, contains over 800 slag blocks weighing between 34 and 57 kg. Furnaces, tuyères and slag are visible on the surfacein many places. The site has been radiocarbon dated to approximately 2000 BC. Iron smelting is currently extinct in Lejja,and there are no active iron smiths in the entire community.

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/130348433827/iron-smelting-in-leja-northern-igboland-4000
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 02, 2018
plaetton:

big thinker, is any of the material being sewn by the amazing aba tailors maufactured in nigeria?

if that was really a concern of murray bruce, what has he done to promote textile mills that can produce the fabric?

or do you think the entire supply chain of nike jerseys begins and ends with copycat tailors?

2 Likes

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by zomoears(m): 10:36am On Jun 02, 2018
malware:

What about cheap production cost, occasioned by constant electricity and proximity to raw materials in the UK compared to Nigeria?

In the end I am looking for what will benefit Nigerian economy. Those factors can be worked around.

Atleast now we are discussing and not just outrightly condemning the Senator.
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by 9gerian: 10:40am On Jun 02, 2018
grin That's the point. In life everyone is right in his own eyes, that is until there is disagreement, engagement, deliberations and a more mutually benefiting compromise is reached. Critique, engage, brainstorm and reach a workable strategy!!!

We will get there!

malware:
So Aba would produce that Jersey and sell it N41k to Nigerians ba, who go buy? ....
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by Montana83: 10:41am On Jun 02, 2018
Alejoc:

Madam you go school and sense full your head! I cannot agree more!
the prob with we nigerians is that we don't try to understand some messages .....He said firm his point is that if nigeria government were good in utilising talent in this our country that places like that aba where most of the low quality stuff we use come from ...By now u will have bIG companies investing in them and make millions...Which they might actually use and sponsor our super eagles ...Am not a fan of any politician in nigeria buh I got his point .....just imagen if this young men and women in aba and other part of nigeria were sponsored well by nigerian govt ...They will bring about big companies and investors ....
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by brodalokie: 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
seguno2:

You need to read up on your own history.
The Yoruba word, ERO means machine, which is not in anyway derived from English or Arabic. Don’t you have a similar word in your language?
I also know that we have traditional blacksmiths.

Forget that thing jare... Na stone Yoruba take dey grind. Joke
Okay let's say we have ero, what else?

1 Like

Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by neutrotoba(m): 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
Esseite:
He made a valid point.... we obviously cant pirate pirated..
Export it to the world from Nigeria... its a world cup, their is a ready market, the more your players advance, the more your internally produced jerseys are going beyond even if they are not the tagged "Nigerian original".

Its gives the local brands an international name..
It gives your local online market proceeds..
Nigeria has the population for internal purchase as well as affordable and availble..
The international markets are regulated and can stick to a sole distributor agreement..

Ben is obviously too advanced for Nigerian mentality..

The only reason 3million people bought the jersey is because of Nike's exquisite design.
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by seguno2: 10:48am On Jun 02, 2018
brodalokie:
Forget that thing jare... Na stone Yoruba take dey grind. Joke
Okay let's say we have ero, what else?

What else?
Google, go to a library, visit the history department of a university and educate yourself.
Cheers.
Re: Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba... by gurnam: 10:51am On Jun 02, 2018
plaetton:

All you have written is rubbish as business decisions are not done that way, NIKE can decide to make the jersey where they know have the capacity to handle such jobs!

All you are saying is that govt should force NIKE to contract out the sowing of the jerseys to your tailors in Aba..gibberish go say the least

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

List Of States Yet To Get Ministerial Nominees / Osinbajo Ignored Goodluck Jonathan’s Call – Femi Fani-Kayode Reveals / Boko Haram Members Observe Eid Prayers In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.