Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% (19368 Views)

Onne Port vessel traffic improves - Bello-Koko, MD NPA / Calabar Port Berths 190-Metre Long General Cargo Vessel / Ben Ayade Kept Vigil At Calabar-Itu Boundary Between Akwa Ibom & Cross River (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front4line: 4:36am On Jun 02, 2018
Anna Okon

The number of vessels calling at Calabar Port has increased by 40 per cent since the end of the first quarter of this year.

The Port Manager, Calabar Port, Mrs. Olufunmilayo Olotu, disclosed this to our correspondent on the sidelines of a quarterly stakeholders’ forum organised by the Nigerian Ports Authority on Thursday.

She said, “The liquid bulk has increased due to the fact that for now, Calabar becomes the only outlet to make distribution to other locations that are connected to this axis. Ours is the only port that opens to the North East of Nigeria; so they are using Calabar as a base to distribute petroleum products.”

According to her, consultations with port management and investors had resulted in the exportation of 54,530 metric tonnes of cement from the Calabar Port to the Port of Tema in Ghana by Lafarge Africa in the fourth quarter of 2017.

She added that the voyages had been consistent, with an estimated 100,000 tonnes of cement expected to be exported from the Calabar Port every quarter.

She said, “We have been able to address the challenges. We are working on the harbour craft, the channels, port access roads and security.

www.punchng.com/vessel-traffic-at-calabar-port-increases-by-40/

4 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front4line: 4:38am On Jun 02, 2018
It seem only Igbos are left in the quagmire of not being able to make their port functional in Nigeria.

14 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by LaudableXX: 4:41am On Jun 02, 2018
Na wey dem dey? shocked All those that keep wailing that it is Lagos ports that want to kill the SS/SE ports, where are they to come and read this piece of news? So Calabar port is operational? You don't mean it! cheesy Amazing! This must be a miracle!

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by maisauki: 4:46am On Jun 02, 2018
Buhari at work
God bless PMB
God bless NPA
God bless federal Republic of Nigeria

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by justtoodark: 4:46am On Jun 02, 2018
igbos should stop all this noise,stay in their area and develope it....

how many calabars were online shouting upandan....??...they were busy building their house....now see.....

you develope other peoples areas and then complain...how is that gonna work.......??

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Alejoc(m): 5:20am On Jun 02, 2018
We are getting there angry!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 02, 2018
maisauki:
Buhari at work
God bless PMB
God bless NPA
God bless federal Republic of Nigeria

For oil vessels?...

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 5:58am On Jun 02, 2018
ANOTHER DIVIDEND OF DEMOCRACY
GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS PMB1523
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by CodeTemplar: 6:03am On Jun 02, 2018
Ewu . . . dis one na silent progress o. . . .

9 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Throwback: 6:25am On Jun 02, 2018
LaudableXX:
Na wey dem dey? shocked All those that keep wailing that it is Lagos ports that want to kill the SS/SE ports, where are they to come and read this piece of news? So Calabar port is operational? You don't mean it! cheesy This must be a miracle!

I often laugh when I read statements from Igbos lumping the SS with their SE problem of no port or low port patronage.

I know for a fact that Onne port in Rivers State is ever busy, despite the dip that was due to the reduced oil and gas industry projects owing to the oil price slump. The port is available for those who claim they want to deny Lagos IGR, as though it is Lagos state that is operating the federal ports there.

Ignorant people just love to make fallacious assertions having observed same fallacy regurgitated by many.

It is only in Nigeria that we believe every state or tribe must have international airport, or that every coastal state must have sea port. Even those landlocked from the sea are claiming that they must have riverport, and that the sea port in Lagos is the reason their goal to have a river port has not garnered any traction.

Most countries in the world barely have more than 2 or 3 international airports.

Most of our WestAfrican neighbours only have 1 international airport. Yet we have people that lament that Lagos and Abuja have international airports, as though it was not due to their capital status, and then claim they are being marginalized and deliberately underdeveloped.

Nigeria also operate international flights from international airports in Kano and Port Harcourt. So are those 4 international airports not enough for this country, and are they not evenly spread enough, or international airport must also be a federal character principle?

How viable have those other international airports been when they were eventually upgraded to assuage tribal parochialism?

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:30am On Jun 02, 2018
cool
Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Blue3k(m): 6:33am On Jun 02, 2018
She said, “The liquid bulk has increased due to the fact that for now, Calabar becomes the only outlet to make distribution to other locations that are connected to this axis. Ours is the only port that opens to the North East of Nigeria; so they are using Calabar as a base to distribute petroleum products.”

According to her, consultations with port management and investors had resulted in the exportation of 54,530 metric tonnes of cement from the Calabar Port to the Port of Tema in Ghana by Lafarge Africa in the fourth quarter of 2017.

Interesting its the North East states driving demand. Quick recovery to them so they can patronize Ibom Deep Seaport. The port is also doing nice in exports.

7 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by clarocuzioo(m): 7:59am On Jun 02, 2018
When I read people's comment on this forum, I weep for the future of this country. People will stay in Lagos say what they know nothing about.
The issue of ports and borders has been on for discuss for so for some time now and I have seen people commenting ignorantly. Am sure a greater percentage of them have not really imported any thing to understand the mechanism, technicalities and systematic politics associated with these ports.
First, I want to remind people of a comment Fashola made when Dangote was about to start the reconstruction of Apapa road where he said other ports in the country should be used. It's no disputable fact that over 80% of imports through sea in this country comes from Lagos,thus making Apapa local government one of the richest local govt because of its revenue generation.

Not until recently, activities in Onne port was brought to ground zero, my family is into importation business in Aba and I know the systematic politics that plays out. There was a time importers in Aba has to contribute over #170m for sorting for them to resume their businesses. There will be a time that no goods will be cleared for over one month, imagine the demurrage that will accrue.
Clearing in Onne seaport is so tedious unlike In Apapa as we have used the both ports. Go and check it most cars are always cleared in Apapa, even the cars that will be used in the south south and South east region.

The transport minister once said that insecurity is why the reason why ports in the south south are not functional. First this is an admittance that the ports in South south are not functioning optimally, yet it is also an indictment on the government for not providing enough security as it is the government's primary responsibility.

If we really want to move on as one, we have to stop these petty politics.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front4line: 11:03am On Jun 02, 2018
clarocuzioo:
When I read people's comment on this forum, I weep for the future of this country. People will stay in Lagos say what they know nothing about.
The issue of ports and borders has been on for discuss for so for some time now and I have seen people commenting ignorantly. Am sure a greater percentage of them have not really imported any thing to understand the mechanism, technicalities and systematic politics associated with these ports.
First, I want to remind people of a comment Fashola made when Dangote was about to start the reconstruction of Apapa road where he said other ports in the country should be used. It's no disputable fact that over 80% of imports through sea in this country comes from Lagos,thus making Apapa local government one of the richest local govt because of its revenue generation.

Not until recently, activities in Onne port was brought to ground zero, my family is into importation business in Aba and I know the systematic politics that plays out. There was a time importers in Aba has to contribute over #170m for sorting for them to resume their businesses. There will be a time that no goods will be cleared for over one month, imagine the demurrage that will accrue.
Clearing in Onne seaport is so tedious unlike In Apapa as we have used the both ports. Go and check it most cars are always cleared in Apapa, even the cars that will be used in the south south and South east region.

The transport minister once said that insecurity is why the reason why ports in the south south are not functional. First this is an admittance that the ports in South south are not functioning optimally, yet it is also an indictment on the government for not providing enough security as it is the government's primary responsibility.

If we really want to move on as one, we have to stop these petty politics.

Some of you Igbos are as brain dead as Zuma rock. With all you foolish clearing difficulty claim in Onne.

Do you know shipping lines have designated route that are economically viable and will definitely prefer that to new route just like airline ?

Do you know you can not fly directly from anywhere in Nigeria except to Joburg even though many airline offers that option. Same thing London USA etc.

Clearing in Onne is tedious so Yoruba should come n clear the difficulties for you ba ?

Why is the insecurity not affecting the 40% increase in activities just discovered in the port ? The thing is a FAILURE that you are will always seek excuse for it’s foolishness. That resonates among some many of your Igbos. Quit making excuses n if you can not stop being a kill joy.

No one will make Anamabra port or Enugu port functional for you. Your lazy ass kinsmen will have to get the bigoted lazy ass up and do the math to ensure it’s functional just like Elrufia did with Kaduna dry port. Move jobless Ipob to site instead them waste their pathetic lives away. That should help.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by CSTR1003: 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2018
And this would have been a nice thread to brainstorm on the politics and economics of ports.

But the OP and his fellow Yoruba idiots have wrecked it with tribalism , and with zero knowledge of the core issues in port business and importation.

I am out of here.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by LaudableXX: 1:07pm On Jun 02, 2018
CSTR1003:
And this would have been a nice thread to brainstorm on the politics and economics of ports.

But the OP and his fellow Yoruba idiots have wrecked it with tribalism , and with zero knowledge of the core issues in port business and importation.

I am out of here.
You chaps keep giving the rest of us from minority ethnic groups, a good laugh. cheesy So you could not see the Igbo idiots that also joined to wreck the thread with tribalism and zero knowledge of the ports, ba? Or you just decided to develop selective amnesia when it came to their antics?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by CSTR1003: 1:09pm On Jun 02, 2018
LaudableXX:

You chaps keep giving the rest of us from minority ethnic groups, a good laugh. cheesy So you could not see the Igbo idiots that also joined to wreck the thread with tribalism and zero knowledge of the ports, ba? Or you just decided to develop selective amnesia when it came to their antics?
no be only ethnic minorities.

Igbos are importers and exporters . There is nothing in the Nigerian port business we don't know about.

When we talk, shut up and listen.

Mr ethnic minority.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by LaudableXX: 1:12pm On Jun 02, 2018
CSTR1003:
no be only ethnic minorities.

Other ethnic tribes including Igbos are importers and exporters. There is nothing in the Nigerian port business we don't know about.

When we talk, CSTR1003 shut up and listen.

Mr ethnic minority.

Fixed!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by markfemi1: 1:12pm On Jun 02, 2018
[s]
front4line:

Some of you Igbos are as brain dead as Zuma rock. With all you foolish clearing difficulty claim in Onne.

Do you know shipping lines have designated route that are economically viable and will definitely prefer that to new route just like airline ?

Do you know you can not fly directly from anywhere in Nigeria except to Joburg even though many airline offers that option. Same thing London USA etc.

Clearing in Onne is tedious so Yoruba should come n clear the difficulties for you ba ?

Why is the insecurity not affecting the 40% increase in activities just discovered in the port ? The thing is a FAILURE that you are will always seek excuse for it’s foolishness. That resonates among some many of your Igbos. Quit making excuses n if you can not stop being a kill joy.

No one will make Anamabra port or Enugu port functional for you. Your lazy ass kinsmen will have to get the bigoted lazy ass up and do the math to ensure it’s functional just like Elrufia did with Kaduna dry port. Move jobless Ipob to site instead them waste their pathetic lives away. That should help.

[quote author=justtoodark:
igbos should stop all this noise,stay in their area and develope it....

how many calabars were online shouting upandan....??...they were busy building their house....now see.....

you develope other peoples areas and then complain...how is that gonna work.......??
audableXX:

[/s]

17 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by CSTR1003: 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2018
LaudableXX:

Fixed!
Where are you from, Mr ethnic minority?
How many of your people are into the import business?

Look at the first comment on this thread. Who made it tribalistic before others continued on that path?
I am sure you can see and read.

Even the OP that created the thread is a Yoruba scumbag that created his own thread for bigotry.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by clarocuzioo(m): 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2018
front4line:

First of all I made my points without insulting anybody or tribe, but you choose to insult the entire Igbo tribe when it's absolutely not necessary, it goes to show how a low life you are I won't go down to your level.
In your bid to defend the indefensible, you only succeeded in making a fool of yourself. I never complained about the shipping lines, there's no issue with the shipping lines, after all after the bribe has been paid by Igbo traders in Aba, goods are now coming in showing that there's no issue with the shipping lines but pure politics is what that has grounded it.

The shipping lines are not economically viable for goods to come in but are viable for crude oil to leave the region? Also go and check when these ports in South south were built, you will know that they are not new ports, a lot of them have been functioning optimally and excellently before unnecessarily politics started playing out, do a little research to update your outdated and ignorant brain. My dear are you not seeing your foolishness?

I never mentioned the Yoruba in my comment even though I called Lagos, it's not only Yorubas that are working in Apapa wharf, I wonder why you choose to personalise it as a Yoruba man.

Now talking about inland ports by El-rufai, we saw a report recently of a concluded inland port in Onitsha which is about #4b investment and that place is lying fallow since, just for the government to appoint a concessionaire, that place with the infrastructures there are wasting, a place that is supposed to be generating revenue for the government especially as this government is talking about diversification. So my dear you see that you are hypocrisy personified or you are and ignorant non entity.

The insecurity comment was made by the transport minister himself, on the 40% increase it talked mostly about cement.

You called the Igbos lazy? I can't believe you are this foolish. We know the lazy tribes in this country, I don't want to mention names.
Besides its not only in Nigeria that Igbos have excelled, so even if those ports don't work, the Igbo nation will move forward. I don't want to confuse your little brain.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Anambralstson: 2:14pm On Jun 02, 2018
clarocuzioo:

First of all I made my points without insulting anybody or tribe, but you choose to insult the entire Igbo tribe when it's absolutely not necessary, it goes to show how a low life you are I won't go down to your level.
In your bid to defend the indefensible, you only succeeded in making a fool of yourself. I never complained about the shipping lines, there's no issue with the shipping lines, after all after the bribe has been paid by Igbo traders in Aba, goods are now coming in showing that there's no issue with the shipping lines but pure politics is what that has grounded it.

The shipping lines are not economically viable for goods to come in but are viable for crude oil to leave the region? Also go and check when these ports in South south were built, you will know that they are not new ports, a lot of them have been functioning optimally and excellently before unnecessarily politics started playing out, do a little research to update your outdated and ignorant brain. My dear are you not seeing your foolishness?

I never mentioned the Yoruba in my comment even though I called Lagos, it's not only Yorubas that are working in Apapa wharf, I wonder why you choose to personalise it as a Yoruba man.

Now talking about inland ports by El-rufai, we saw a report recently of a concluded inland port in Onitsha which is about #4b investment and that place is lying fallow since, just for the government to appoint a concessionaire, that place with the infrastructures there are wasting, a place that is supposed to be generating revenue for the government especially as this government is talking about diversification. So my dear you see that you are hypocrisy personified or you are and ignorant non entity.

The insecurity comment was made by the transport minister himself, on the 40% increase it talked mostly about cement.

You called the Igbos lazy? I can't believe you are this foolish. We know the lazy tribes in this country, I don't want to mention names.
Besides its not only in Nigeria that Igbos have excelled, so even if those ports don't work, the Igbo nation will move forward. I don't want to confuse your little brain.
Thanks, many of them here are ignorant and bitter.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front2line: 3:17pm On Jun 02, 2018
clarocuzioo:

Firstly every opinion of any Igbo is a foolish one so my response is not to argue with you but to expose the foolishness of your Igbo n igbotic reasoning.

Concerning Igbo not being lazy, my brother selling hard drugs n fraud is not hard work. Claining that as hard not only expose the foolishness in the heads of lots of Igbo but butress the fact that millions of you are outrightly mad.

Insecurity problem should be solved by host community or state govt that is why we have democracy n federal system of government but being a DEAD brain Igbo like millions of your kinsmen you can't comprehend that. Lagos did it with Baddo, Oyo did too with motor park touts.

Elrufia did what he had to to ensure the dry port works what have your forefather n fathers being doing since most especially Jonathan was the president ? What on another lame excuse for the generational lazy Igbos, rnorons.

Lastly you do not have to call Yoruba before I can tell you exhibited the entitlement mentality like every lazy ass deranged Igbos. Was the problem you highlighted not there when your demigod the drunk one was the president ? Where did the entitlement of someone you never helped to the throne solving all your generational problem while that you chose yourseld could not solve a single one.

Furthermore, I am not sorry you are beating the brunt of what Ipob sow on NL. I care even less that u are not a member just in case you want to wail yourself to the grave on that. Like I said igbo opinion DO NOT COUNT.

Deal with any typo I do not have time to proofread shii to any of you lazy loudmouth wailing kinsmen.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by trapQ: 3:46pm On Jun 02, 2018
Stupid cunts saying thrash they know absolutely nothing about. My sister has worked in 2 shipping companies one in Port Harcourt and the other in Lagos and told me about some of the restrictions they face with their port Harcourt shipments. Sometimes in those countries they don't have port Harcourt on their list of destinations meaning those shipments must come in through Lagos.

Also most large ships cannot berth in Onne port as it
is obviously too shallow.

12 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by clarocuzioo(m): 4:07pm On Jun 02, 2018
front2line:

Firstly every opinion of any Igbo is a foolish one so my response is not to argue with you but to expose the foolishness of your Igbo n igbotic reasoning.

Concerning Igbo not being lazy, my brother selling hard drugs n fraud is not hard work. Claining that as hard not only expose the foolishness in the heads of lots of Igbo but butress the fact that millions of you are outrightly mad.

Insecurity problem should be solved by host community or state govt that is why we have democracy n federal system of government but being a DEAD brain Igbo like millions of your kinsmen you can't comprehend that. Lagos did it with Baddo, Oyo did too with motor park touts.

Elrufia did what he had to to ensure the dry port works what have your forefather n fathers being doing since most especially Jonathan was the president ? What on another lame excuse for the generational lazy Igbos, rnorons.

Lastly you do not have to call Yoruba before I can tell you exhibited the entitlement mentality like every lazy ass deranged Igbos. Was the problem you highlighted not there when your demigod the drunk one was the president ? Where did the entitlement of someone you never helped to the throne solving all your generational problem while that you chose yourseld could not solve a single one.

Furthermore, I am not sorry you are beating the brunt of what Ipob sow on NL. I care even less that u are not a member just in case you want to wail yourself to the grave on that. Like I said igbo opinion DO NOT COUNT.

Deal with any typo I do not have time to proofread shii to any of you lazy loudmouth wailing kinsmen.

I think I understand better, your deep hatred is obvious, I won't continue wasting time with you because your arguments are not logical, they are void of facts and does not in anyway sound intellectual but what we see is a flagrant display of hatred.
Let me tell you this,
the Igbo nation is blessed.
The Igbo nation is progressive.
With or without those ports or any help from the govt, the Igbo nation will survive and move forward more than some tribes that have enjoyed the federal govt. Priviledges, and the interesting thing is that a trillion times of your hatred will not stop them an inch from progressing.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front2line: 4:16pm On Jun 02, 2018
clarocuzioo:

I think I understand better, your deep hatred is obvious, I won't continue wasting time with you because your arguments are not logical, they are void of facts and does not in anyway sound intellectual but what we see is a flagrant display of hatred.
Let me tell you this,
the Igbo nation is blessed.
The Igbo nation is progressive.
With or without those ports or any help from the govt, the Igbo nation will survive and move forward more than some tribes that have enjoyed the federal govt. Priviledges, and the interesting thing is that a trillion times of your hatred will not stop them an inch from progressing.

And your brain finally works. so why were you wailing in your initial response instead of seeking to improve on the 40%. You thoughr the world will bend to please.

For every act of wailing by the Igbo it is a proven fact a sledge � to your medulla rather reasoning with you will solve the problem. Pyton dance comes to mind.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by front2line: 4:23pm On Jun 02, 2018
trapQ:
Stupid cunts saying thrash they know absolutely nothing about. My sister has worked in 2 shipping companies one in Port Harcourt and the other in Lagos and told me about some of the restrictions they face with their port Harcourt shipments. Sometimes in those countries they don't have port Harcourt on their list of destinations meaning those shipments must come in through Lagos.

Also most large ships cannot berth in Onne port as it
is obviously too shallow.

and wailing about the shortcoming is the remedy ?

Is the Apapa port not shallow compared to ports from neighbouring countries ? How does Lagos do it n not wail NL to death over it ?

What about the persistent grindlock n now complete damage of the port road ? Did the Yoruba wail Ebele to the grave when he refused to fix the road ?

Didn't they lick their wound n get someone that can do the job ? Why do your kinsmen believe those you hate deserve to fix your problems while those you love were never held accountable for not fixing the exact same problem ?

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by LaudableXX: 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2018
CSTR1003:
Where are you from, Mr ethnic minority?
How many of your people are into the import business?

Look at the first comment on this thread. Who made it tribalistic before others continued on that path?
I am sure you can see and read.

Even the OP that created the thread is a Yoruba scumbag that created his own thread for bigotry.
Why? Does my ethnic minority group, owe you anything? shocked

If you want to know how many of my people are into the import/export trade, just take a trip to the ports. A trial will convince you. wink

As for the OP that opened his thread, there was nothing tribalistic in his opening post, o! Are you sure you read it at all, before jumping up to throw a tantrum while making sweeping allegations? Can you tell us what was tribalistic about saying that the Calabar port witnessed a 40% increase in shipping traffic? shocked

Go back to the beginning of this thread and study the OP's post again. I am sure you can read..... undecided

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Blue3k(m): 4:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
Bring this debate to forefront once again.

Front Page: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by LaudableXX: 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2018
trapQ:

Also most large ships cannot berth in Onne port as it is obviously too shallow.

Onne is not too shallow. Please check. The Anchorage depth is 14m - 15.2m, while the draught alongside the quay is 12 metres, the outer channel is another 12.5m.

APM Terminals: Onne Port Welcomes Bigger Vessels (Nigeria) - The 4,500 TEU capacity Maersk Copenhagen called at APM Terminals’ West Africa Container Terminal (WACT) in Onne (Port Harcourt), Nigeria on December 3rd, becoming the largest vessel to visit the Eastern Nigerian port.

The port is located along the Bonny River near Port Harcourt in Rivers State, and serves major markets in East Nigeria and the Nigerian oil and gas industry. The Nigerian Port Authority was instrumental in making this a success, by widening the channel and removing some wrecks in the Bonny Channel.

The port call was a trial stop for Maersk Line’s weekly Far East-West Africa (FEW2) service, which is comprised of 22 West Africa-Maximum (Waf-Max) sized vessels that are equipped with on-board cranes and draft 12.5 meters (41 feet), are 37.4 meters (123 feet) wide, 249 meters (817 feet) long, representing the largest vessels that can currently be accommodated at West Africa’s major container ports. The weekly service links the ports of Busan, Korea; Shanghai, Ningbo, and Guangzhou, China and Tanjung Pelepas, Malaysia; with Walvis Bay, Namibia; Apapa, Onne, Nigeria; and Luanda, Angola.

“We are very pleased with the arrival of the first 4,500 TEU vessel size to the West Africa Container Terminal at Onne. We are investing USD 30 million in the terminal to serve our customers more efficiently and safely, while installing the essential port infrastructure necessary for Nigeria’s economic future,” noted APM Terminals’ Africa-Middle East Regional Head, Peder Sondergaard.

APM Terminals - The investment reflects the company’s overall West Africa port modernization plan, designed to serve the market’s demographic growth and expanding middle class. According to a UN report released this year, Nigeria’s population is expected to grow to 440 million by 2050.

WACT, which is owned and operated by APM Terminals, has a current capacity of 212,000 TEUs, and will handle some 210,000 TEUs in 2013. Volumes at Onne have tripled in the past five years. The facility is located within the Onne Oil & Gas Free Zone which was established in 1996.

In Nigeria, APM Terminals also owns and operates the country’s largest container terminal, at the Port of Apapa, investing USD 200 million in upgrades since the start of operations in 2006. APM Terminals Apapa handled 618,000 TEUs in 2012, representing West Africa’s busiest container terminal. The company is also developing a new deep-water mega-port at the Badagry Free Trade Zone, 55 km (34 miles) west of Apapa, which would be the largest port in Africa and serve Nigeria’s growing economy.

In West Africa, the APM Terminals Global Terminal Network has facilities in Monrovia, Liberia; Abidjan, Ivory Coast; Tema, Ghana; Cotonou, Benin; Douala, Cameroon; Pointe-Noire, Republic of Congo and Luanda, Angola. https://www.dredgingtoday.com/2013/12/19/apm-terminals-onne-port-welcomes-bigger-vessels-nigeria/

5 Likes

Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by Didi2d(m): 8:39pm On Jun 02, 2018
Ok
Re: Vessel Traffic At Calabar Port Increases By 40% by nabegibeg: 8:40pm On Jun 02, 2018
front4line:
Anna Okon

The number of vessels calling at Calabar Port has increased by 40 per cent since the end of the first quarter of this year.

The Port Manager, Calabar Port, Mrs. Olufunmilayo Olotu, disclosed this to our correspondent on the sidelines of a quarterly stakeholders’ forum organised by the Nigerian Ports Authority on Thursday.

She added that the voyages had been consistent, with an estimated 100,000 tonnes of cement expected to be exported from the Calabar Port every quarter.

She said, “We have been able to address the challenges. We are working on the harbour craft, the channels, port access roads and security.

www.punchng.com/vessel-traffic-at-calabar-port-increases-by-40/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Geoffrey Onyeama Test Positive To COVID-19 / Thugs Clash With Members Of Plateau State House Of Assembly (Photos) / Consumers Kick As FG Raises Prices Of Prepaid Meters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.