Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had (535 Views)

Remembering Nigeria’s AFCON 1994 Super Squad / Iwuanyanwu Nationale 1994 Plane Crash: The Untold Story / Bonfrere: Westerhof Sold Nigeria’s Game Against Italy At USA World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 03, 2018
It's 24 years but the memories still remain fresh when Nigeria qualified to play in the World Cup for the first time after CAF was given 3 slots in the WC.
Alhamin didn't witness these games live but Dad and my Islamic tutor told me a lot about this tournament. The 1994 World Cup happens to be the last WC to feature 24 teams and it's also important I add the fact that our favorite slang "ESCOBAR" used when a player scores own goal is the name of a Colombian national team player "Andres Escobar" who scored an own goal against the host (USA).

For many of us that didn't watch the games live, and those that have forgotten the moments. Let me take you through the memories of the USA 1994 and why those set of players happens to be the best Nigeria ever had.

Our first match in the history of the World Cup was against Bulgaria and this game remains fresh in the memories of Nigerians. One of the most prolific strikers of the moment in person of Late Rashidi Yekini (May his soul rest in peace) tapped in the ball into the net at exactly 20mins 23 seconds into the game to give Nigeria an edge. Late Rashidi Yekinis goal happened to be Nigerias first goal in the World Cup tournament.
Daniel Amokachis Dance step after his 42mins 3 seconds goal has been on replay on my phone.(I wish I could learn those steps, I don't just know how to dance) Emmanuel Amunike 54mins 19 seconds header sealed it for the Eagles as we strolled away with 3 points and 3 goals...

Straight into the second match for Nigeria on the 25th of June, we face Argentina. The team with one of the best player across the globe in person of Diego Maradona.
7 minutes into the game, Samson Siasia nutmegged an Argentine defender and struck the ball into the net. Samson Siasia lone goal couldnt secure victory for Alhamin's dear team as Claudio Cannigia scored twice to steal away three points for the Argentines. God knows I still can't forgive the referee because I need an explanation for cannigia's second goal.
Fact: Nigeria has been in the same group with Argentina 4 times out of the 5 World Cup we have qualified for.

Our last group stage match was against fellow freshers Greece and Alhamin's very own Finidi George gave us the lead late in the first half of the game. (I think finidi George owes me an explanation for his crawling Jubilation)

Few minutes into the end of the game, Daniel Amokachi scored the goal that happens to be Alhamin's best goal in the World Cup tournament. The only place I have seen such goal is when I play my PES game.

Zoooom, we are into the Knock out stage and we will be facing Italy.
Nigerians were so happy to hear that Italian prolific attacker Roberto Baggio is injured and he won't be playing in the KO stage.
The story changed when Roberto Baggio was spotted on the pitch.
Emmanuel Amunike got his name on the scoreline for the second time in the competition exactly 25 minutes into the game. The game will be coming to an end in few minutes and Nigerians were so happy.
Deadly Roberto Baggio restored that hope of the Italians with the late Equalizer and the match went into the extra time.
It's a penalty for the Italians and Roberto Baggio beats the ball past Peter Rufai and Alhamin's most loved team was sent out of the tournament with a dubious penalty as I will call it.

You may wonder why this team happens to be the best so far. It's so simple, this set of player played for Nigeria with their hearts. They were the best set of players but the least paid (Sunday Oliseh).
This same team with the inclusion of likes of Kanu Nwakwo and others went to represent the Giant of Africa at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics in the United States and brought home the Gold medal.

One of my wish as a Nigerian is to meet these Icons to let them know how much I love them.
Pending the time I will be chanced to meet you aIl i wil continue to pray to the Almighty to bless you all for Making Nigerians proud, you were our football militants that fought for our freedom.

God bless Peter Rufai
God bless Wilfred Agbonavbare
God bless Alloysins Agu
God bless Augustine Eguavoen
God bless Micheal Emenalo
God bless Ben Iroha
God bless Stephen Keshi
God bless Chidi N'wanu
God bless Uche Okafor
God bless Ucke Okeducki
God bless Mutiu Adepoju
God bless Efan Ekoku
God bless Emeka Ezengo
God bless Jay Jay Okocha
God bless Thompson Oliha
God bless Sunday Oliseh
God bless Daniel Amokachi
God bless Emmanuel Ammunike
God bless Finidi George
God bless Victoria Ikpeba
God bless Samson Siasia
Rest in peace our Hero Rashidi Yekini.

You all were the best, Alhamin loves you all and will continue to love you. Our current super Eagles need your blessings.
I also pray that Genert Rohr and Mikel Obi take out team to the dreamland.

This may not be the best piece you will come across because I am not the best Pundit or Analyst. I am Adenekan Al Amin Adedeji, a sport lover and a die hard supporter of the National team. I believe Nigeria will be great.
God bless Nigerians
God bless our current set of Players .

Adenekan Al Amin Adedeji (Alhamin)
adenekanalaminadedeji@gmail.com

Re: USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by Smellymouth: 3:34pm On Jun 03, 2018
Nostalgia is a powerful thing.It enables us to remember incidents in the past with longing...
I remember when my dad woke me up early in the morning for us to go watch the Nigeria vs Bulgaria game. The place we trekked to watch it was already fully packed when we got there but the memories of that game and the other games are still on my head..
That USA 1994 squad, they put smile on our faces with their superb display..

Rufai,Eguavoen,Yekini(RIP),Iroha,Siasia,Amokachi,Keshi,Okechukwu ,Finidi,Okocha,Amuneke,Oliseh,Emenalo,Uche Okafor (RIP)etc..

1 Like

Re: USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by Anigreat: 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2018
shocked

When we have great players!

Sad i was only ****years then, i didn't know what football was all about.. i prefer cartoon then, to football.
Re: USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by Smellymouth: 3:41pm On Jun 03, 2018
....:
Re: USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by BiafranBushBoy: 3:55pm On Jun 03, 2018
cry cry cry
Re: USA WORLD CUP 1994: The Best We Ever Had by Amacaco: 5:30pm On Jun 03, 2018
You wrote all this beautiful piece without mentioning the great coach that qualified Nigeria for the World Cup and took the team to USA 94, the hardworking Clemence Westerhoff and his assistant Bonfre Jo. The story of USA 94 is incomplete without the entire team. May God bless them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Did Nike Producs 2 Jersey Grades?? / Russia 2018: Team-by-Team guide to all 32 Countries / For Sport And Prediction Click Here 100%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.