Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 (81914 Views)

He Changed The Currency In 1984; He Is Changing It Again In 2022 - Shehu Sani / Asari Dokubo Steps Out With Armed Men (Photos) / General Buhari And Ibrahim Gambari In 1984 (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by three: 1:45am On Jun 04, 2018

On 4 September last year (1984), minutes before leaving the country for an extensive tour of the US, Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested at the airport of Lagos due to an attempt at smuggling foreign currency out of the country. “He who emanates greatness, carries death in his pouch and cannot die” is what this controversial African musician called himself. But the Nigerian authorities took this for granted and took him to court for the 451st time in ten years.

Fela was supposed to have carried 1600 English pounds with him instead of the maximum amount of 50 that one person is allowed to take out of the country. An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50. This did not impress the judges who sentenced Fela to five years imprisonment. When he has served this sentence he will be 51. But if the man will survive the circumstances

and treatment in a Nigerian jail remains doubtful. It appears his health has deteriorated frightfully in the last three months.

http://www.afrobeatmusic.net/html/fela_s_pre-conviction_intervie.html

Even Oyinbo Newspaper remember Buhari, na Naija peepo no dey remember history,

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/apr/01/nigerias-new-president-muhammadu-buhari-is-the-man-who-put-fela-kuti-in-jail

Plus this Nairaland thread that rehashed the issue...

https://www.nairaland.com/2116222/fela-kuti-charged-armed-robbery

24 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by sarrki(m): 1:50am On Jun 04, 2018
I see Chief wailer in person of fire fire about to spew normal the....sh

12 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by three: 1:54am On Jun 04, 2018
sarrki:

I was thinking about you and a multitude of others when planning to do a thread on Maximilien Robespierre

look him up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilien_Robespierre

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Kundagarten: 3:21am On Jun 04, 2018
Same Buhari refused to allow governor Ambrose Alli to seek treatment. He dealt with Ajasin, Awolowo and most politicians except the ones from Katsina state.
Locked up vice president Ekwueme but left President Shagari.

131 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Nobody: 4:14am On Jun 04, 2018
So the ancestor is replaying a part of his ancient tricks again. Dejavu and his zombies are all hyperventilating, like we don't know these happenings were commissioned by their "ancient of days" and transmissioned to the semi-illiterate IGP. I just hope zombies are saving their stipends should incase their dull one miscalculates and things start going downhill for him. Atleast niger republic residency for zombies shouldn't be hard to afford.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by CarGuidNG: 5:50am On Jun 04, 2018

3 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by chriskosherbal(m): 5:55am On Jun 04, 2018
Deja vu.......repeatee

Ooooooh not again ...

God have mercy on this Nigeria and Nigerians.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Metuh: 6:00am On Jun 04, 2018
Buhari is so dull

19 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by 2016v2017: 6:22am On Jun 04, 2018
Kundagarten:
Same Buhari refused to allow governor Ambrose Alli to seek treatment. He dealt with Ajasin, Awolowo and most politicians except the ones from Katsina state.
that's who he is,a bloody tribalis and ethnic bigotory.

62 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by 2016v2017: 6:25am On Jun 04, 2018
FreddyKruger:
So the ancestor is replaying a part of his ancient tricks again. Dejavu and his zombies are all hyperventilating, like we don't know these happenings were commissioned by their "ancient of days" and transmissioned to the semi-illiterate IGP. I just hope zombies are saving their stipends should incase their dull one miscalculates and things start going downhill for him. Atleast niger republic residency for zombies shouldn't be hard to afford.

7 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by DaBullIT(m): 7:06am On Jun 04, 2018
According to the writeup , Fela was guilty of the offence , You all think Buhari should have looked the other way , But in reality it was court that sentenced him , so what's wrong with people ?

All this pea brained eidiats mentioning me up and down, did Fela have to keep all the monies on him ? a law is a law if he had given each one of them their 50 each , he wouldn't have been arrested

Did Buhari put the monies in his pocket ? why is everyone saying Buhari arrested him for being a critic , Shey Buhari used JUJU to keep all the money in Fela's hands ? bunch of nincoompoops

HiddenShadow

three

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by tunjiajayi: 7:11am On Jun 04, 2018
Kundagarten:

Do you know that the so called Umaru Dikko that was crated to be shipped back to Nigeria from the UKafter absconding due to government's funds mismanagement was Buhari's in law?

That's who Buhari is.

On Fela's matter.
He clearly flouted the law, the money should have been on those people individually. A glimpse to Fela's megalomania.

While Fela had a message to share and preach.
Fela wasn't practicing most of his preachings.

Kalakuta republic wasn't democratic either, Fela was a god on his own that couldn't be questioned,he had people beaten for talking back at him on stage as per " yabbies""
He harboured drug dealers, users, gangs of assorted criminals and flouted national laws and even more cultural laws and precepts of smoking Igbo and prostitution.
Fela can aptly be described as a love-vendor!

Yes his legacy lives on in his words, but for his practice , the Yoruba people from 3 decades ago have literally stop naming their children Fela.
Check that out!

So Fela could be charged a criminal by association!

" Teacher don't teach me nonsense"

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Paperwhite(m): 7:12am On Jun 04, 2018
The real Buhari have been manifest from antiquity. Nigerians who knew Buhari from his military days can't make a mistake about his identity.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by three: 7:16am On Jun 04, 2018
DaBullIT:
According to the writeup , Fela was guilty of the offence , You all think Buhari should have looked the other way , But in reality it was court that sentenced him , so what's wrong with people ?

For your benefit....

"An accusation that Fela’s defense did not deny but explained by pointing to the 45 people in the retinue of the musician. And 1600 divided by 45 is nowhere near 50. This did not impress the judges who sentenced Fela to five years imprisonment."

He was travelling with a retinue of 45 people, each entitled to 50 pounds

45 x 50 = 2,250

he had 1,600 pounds on him

Next...

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by dlondonbadboy: 7:20am On Jun 04, 2018
This is Buhari...He deceived you zombies. He told y'all he is now a repentant democrat...but negodu Mr SaiBaba...lol

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by IJOBA2: 7:21am On Jun 04, 2018
sarrki:
IMAM SARRKI I EXPECTED YOU TO ATTACK THE MESSAGE INSTEAD OF THE MESSENGER

28 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Kundagarten: 7:22am On Jun 04, 2018
tunjiajayi:

Do you know that the so called Umaru Dikko that was crated to be shipped back to Nigeria after absconding due to government funds mismanagement was Buhari's in law?

That's who Buhari is.

On Fela
You're quoting urban legend. For me to know who Buhari is, I only have to see the likes of Babachir, Amaechi, Burutai and other accused people Buhari have refused to prosecute.
Bros stop telling fairy tales.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by HiddenShadow: 7:25am On Jun 04, 2018
DaBullIT:

That is why you failed maths and ended up studying marketing.

Divide 1600 by 45 and see if it is up to 50 pounds per person

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by tunjiajayi: 7:28am On Jun 04, 2018
Kundagarten:

You're quoting urban legend. For me to know who Buhari is, I only have to see the likes of Babachir, Amaechi, Burutai and other accused people Buhari have refused to prosecute.
Bros stop telling fairy tales.

I just told you an instance about Buhari that you can verify, I was around, reading and listening to the news then.
A legend to you, a reality to me.
Please check up.

On a lighter note.

Sho mo age mi ni? grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by saaron(m): 7:34am On Jun 04, 2018
A vindictive govt like buhari always end badly. This govt will destroy itself by itself.

16 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by HiddenShadow: 7:34am On Jun 04, 2018
DaBullIT:

All this pea brained eidiats mentioning me up and down, did Fela have to keep all the monies on him ? a law is a law if he had given each one of them their 50 each , he wouldn't have been arrested

Did Buhari put the monies in his pocket ? why is everyone saying Buhari arrested him for being a critic , Shey Buhari used JUJU to keep all the money in Fela's hands ? bunch of nincoompoops

HiddenShadow

three

What is wrong in holding the 1600 pounds for everyone.

You see why Awolowo's free education ended up making more illiterates than educated people.

37 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Kundagarten: 7:36am On Jun 04, 2018
tunjiajayi:

I just told you an instance about Buhari that you can verify, I was around, reading and listening to the news then.
A legend to you, a reality to me.
Please check up.

On a lighter note.

Sho mo age mi ni? grin

What you quoted was what sold Buhari to a lot of people. People actually thought the man was credible.

If you were around during Buhari's first stint, you'd have been aware of his unfairness of the past. The youths brought Buhari to power. Most Yorubas in their 50s knew how high handed Buhari is.

Why do you think Buhari didn't garner up to 10% of votes in the SW, SE or SS prior to 2015? Buhari was refined by Tinubu and painted by Akande and then sold as a saint.

19 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 04, 2018
This is Nige-eria, everybody be Krimina

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by tunjiajayi: 7:38am On Jun 04, 2018
Kundagarten:

What you quoted was what sold Buhari to a lot of people. People actually thought the man was credible.

If you were around during Buhari's first stint, you'd have been aware of his unfairness of the past. The youths brought Buhari to power. Most Yorubas in their 50s knew how high handed Buhari is.

Why do you think Buhari didn't garner up to 10% of votes in the SW, SE or SS prior to 2015? Buhari was refined by Tinubu and painted Akande and then sold as a saint.

Your view, your prerogative.
Use your PVC.it counts!

1 Like

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Kundagarten: 7:40am On Jun 04, 2018
tunjiajayi:

Your view, your prerogative.
Use your PVC.it counts!

I definitely will. Have a good day sir.

8 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by tunjiajayi: 7:41am On Jun 04, 2018
Kundagarten:

I definitely will. Have a good day sir.

Thank you.
You too, have a beautiful day.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by mercyway: 7:43am On Jun 04, 2018
sarrki:
You are kid, ask your father to tell you what happened those years to have knowledge about the person of buhari.

19 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by emmykey0128(m): 7:46am On Jun 04, 2018
Chai so this man mumu no be today o o o anyway my pvc is intact, can't wait for 2019

7 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by DaBullIT(m): 7:50am On Jun 04, 2018
What is wrong is that the Law then stated one person should not hold more than 50 are you dumb ? A law is a law
HiddenShadow:

What is wrong in holding the 1600 pounds for everyone.

You see why Awolowo's free education ended up making more illiterates than educated people.

3 Likes

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:05am On Jun 04, 2018
Baba 70
Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 04, 2018
The media particularly nairaland is doing so well in drawing our attention away from the main issue why he was arrested and making us believe he doesn't have a case.

Though it's might appear to be witch hunt.. he still has a case to answer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fela Charged With Armed Robbery By Buhari Government In 1984 by Nonnyflex(m): 8:06am On Jun 04, 2018
Well... This is nigeria... Anything and everything is possible

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Featured On Israeli National TV, Reveals What He Told FG. Photos / O.K Ugba's House, Cars Burnt In Abia. IPOB/ESN Accuse Him Of Installing Cameras / Idara Gold: Lady Celebrates Her Birthday In Biafra Outfit, Gets Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.