Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria (18641 Views)

FOI: Nigerian Universities Ignore Enquiries On Sexual Harassment Cases / How Federal Polytechnic Idah Spelt 'Acknowledgement' And 'Confirm' On Its Portal / How Federal Universities Are Covering Up Corruption And Sexual Harassment-SERAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by adekunlebaj: 11:47am On Jun 05, 2018
EXPOSED: How Nigerian Federal Universities Completely Ignore Email Enquiries

EDUCATION in Nigeria, from primary to tertiary, has for a long time suffered neglect. Budgetary allocations to the sector have been abysmal for decades ― compared to what operates in other countries, and the infrastructural needs of schools. However, the problem bedevilling schools goes beyond lack of adequate funding by government. There are administrative challenges that require little or no funding, but greater attention to the quality of services is lacking in most Nigerian colleges.

One of such challenges is the lip service paid to information management and communication technology. Processes of fee payment, of communication, of services and so on, are still carried out in analogue way in many Nigerian institutions of higher learning. A number of federal universities had sometime received donations of magic, electronic boards, but the equipment remain unused till today. Undergraduates, especially fresh students, are subjected to long hours of school fee payment, course registration and medical tests every session. It is a routine to see students on campus jumping from one queue to the other and from one office to the other at the beginning of a semester.

Despite having departments of computer science and engineering, most tertiary institutions do not take advantage of ICT resources provided by these departments.

To observe how frequently Nigeria’s federal universities use their official email addresses as listed on their websites, the ICIR sent mails to 28 addresses belonging to 15 universities on April 30, and filled three online contact forms. A reminder was sent on May 11, nearly two weeks after.

The email, titled “Enquiries on Post Graduate Programme and Financial Contribution,” requested for the university’s fee structure as well as unique benefits of enrolling in the post graduate programme. It also said the writer intends “to give a small donation to the institution to advance its research projects and ICT presence”, and asked for the best means to do this.

OUTDATED OR INCORRECT EMAIL ADDRESSES

As soon as the mails were despatched, a torrent of automatic “address not found” replies followed, though the websites from which the addresses were copied are active. The addresses include: dvcacad@unilorin.edu.ng, contact@uniabuja.edu.ng, admissions@udusok.edu.ng, info@udusok.edu.ng, vc@udusok.edu.ng, postgraduate@udusok.edu.ng, unaabamrec@yahoo.com, mediaresources@mail1.ui.edu.ng, registry@futa.edu.ng, and administration@futa.edu.ng ― in total, 10.

The addresses belong to: University of Ilorin (Unilorin), University of Abuja (UniAbuja), Usman Dan Fodio University Sokoto (UDUS), Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB), University of Ibadan (UI), and Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) ― in total, 6.

For others, such as University of Ibadan and FUNAAB, “the addresses not found” are the only visible ones on their website. There are no alternatives, which is especially puzzling in the case of the UI, the Nigerian premier university that has a documented Information Technology and Media Services Policy. Page 40 of the document is dedicated to electronic mail services, and item 3 states that “all electronic communications shall be acknowledged and responded to within 72 hours.”

CORRECT ADDRESSES, BUT NO RESPONSES ― AFTER A MONTH

A second observation made by the ICIR was that while some addresses are functioning and available to receive messages, the handlers hardly use them to attend to incoming correspondences. For a start, none of the official addresses was set to have an auto-responder, which assures the sender the message has been received and will be addressed shortly.

For up to a month, messages sent to the following addresses were greeted with deafening silence: info@oauife.edu.ng, vc@unilorin.edu.ng, registrar@unilorin.edu.ng, dvcadmin@unilorin.edu.ng, webmaster@abu.edu.ng, dua@abu.edu.ng, customerservices.registrar@unn.edu.ng, benjamin.ozumba@unn.edu.ng, informationunit@unilag.edu.ng, centralinfo@noun.edu.ng, vc@buk.edu.ng, info@uniabuja.edu.ng, registrar@udusok.edu.ng, info@nda.edu.ng, registrar@unical.edu.ng, and info@unical.edu.ng ― making a total of 16.

The universities in question, therefore, include Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), University of Ilorin (Unilorin), Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), University of Nigeria (UNN), University of Lagos (UNILAG), National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), Bayero University Kano (BUK), University of Abuja (UniAbuja), Usman Dan Fodiyo University Sokoto (UDUS), Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) and University of Calabar (UNICAL) ― a total of 11.

This figure will however rise to 12 if we include University of Jos (UNIJOS), which has no official email address listed on its website but instead provides a contact form.

In all, the ICIR received only two responses. One was from the Registrar of University of Nigeria (chris.igbokwe@unn.edu.ng), who had apparently sent the enquiry to the Dean of the Post Graduate School (dean.spgsunn@unn.edu.ng). The Dean’s response was then forwarded to this reporter by the Registrar: “Dear Adekunle, Thank you for your mail and your interest in our University. Just read the mail and will get back to you with desired information soonest. I would like to know if you are an alumnus of the university. Thank you. Dean, School of postgraduate studies.” It was sent on May 3, four days after the original email was delivered.

The second response came from Olufunke Sarumi, Software Engineer at the office of the Vice Chancellor, Federal University of Technology Akure (vc@futa.edu.ng). It read: “Dear Adekunle, I hope this mail finds you well. Please be informed that FUTA does not offer courses in Humanities, Law and Social Sciences. Thank you.” It was sent on May 14, three days after the reminder was delivered.

A COUPLE OF HITCHES TOO MANY

Asides the problem of unreachable addresses and unheeded messages, for some of the websites, these addresses are either difficult to extract, or totally invisible. On BUK’s staff page, for example, only the Vice Chancellor has an official email address that does not function, others from the Deputy Vice Chancellors to other staff members only have ‘@buk.edu.ng’ as their address. The website, in fact, does not have any ‘contact us’ page.

UNIJOS’s website has neither a phone number nor an email address through which enquiries or complaints can be made. Messages through the contact form also are not responded to. Additionally, the social media links are empty and redirect student to the home page of the social media platforms.

Another striking example is the website of FUNAAB. Firstly, the contact us page is not functional and is the same as the home page ― ditto for the social media links. What does have a contact page, however, is the university’s Agricultural Media Resources and Extension Centre (AMREC); and, for them, the provided email address is registered wit Yahoo: unaabamrec@yahoo.com.

Furthermore, while many of these schools (such as ABU and FUNAAB) claim to have an OpenCourseWare on their websites, they merely serve as links to those of foreign institutions like Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University.

DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, DIFFERENT REALITIES

In contrast to the pattern exhibited by their Nigerian counterparts, foreign universities respond swiftly to electronic correspondences. A number of certificate scandals have either originated or been doused through online communication between individuals or journalists and such universities.

When doubts were raised, for instance, on whether Muhammadu Buhari’s Cambridge West African School Certificate was authentic, all it took was an email sent by Sodiq Alabi. Less than three hours after he mailed archives@cambridgeassessment.org.uk, he got a response: “Dear Sodiq Alabi, According to the Regulations of 1961, African Language papers, were set for West Africa School Certificate.”

Similarly in 2017 when Dino Melaye was on the hot seat, what finally cleared the air on his claim to graduating from the London School of Economics (LSE) was an email sent to Sahara Reporters. “We have checked our records and can find no evidence of Dino Melaye having any degree qualification from the London School of Economics and Political Science,” Candy Gibson, a Senior Media Relations Officer at LSE, had written.

Apart from this, it is noteworthy that many universities in the world have what is known as an email policy that guides their staff. The University of St. Andrews in Scotland had, as far back as 2005, drafted an 11-page email policy, introduced with the words: “Email is an important method of communication for University business, and carries the same weight as paper-based communications.”

Northumbria University in England also has one wherein it says: “Staff will normally respond to student queries via email within 72 hours between Monday and Friday. Where staff know in advance that they will be unavailable to respond to student emails within this timeframe, they will set up an ‘out-of-office’ reply to indicate their anticipated period of absence, their anticipated date of return and who else to contact in their absence.” It also covers email signatures, virtual alternatives to physical meetings, provisions for unavailability, and so on.

Checks revealed that Harvard University, University of Massachusetts, Yale, University of Arizona, University of Bradford, University of Ghana, among many others also have official electronic communication policies which guide them.

WE NEED POLICY CHANGES, EXPERTS SAY

Speaking to the ICIR, ICT experts and ‘techpreneurs’ who have experience working with the educational sector have shed more light on the problem and proffered solutions. Idris Ayo Bello, co-founder of Wennovation Hub and award-winning strategist and global thought leader, said that those are paid to solve the problem are in fact afflicted with the same problem.

“One of my American partners just yesterday expressed surprise at receiving an official email from the Permanent Secretary in the Nigerian Ministry of Trade and Industry and the email was sent on yahoomail!,” he said.

“Any email sent to OAU, Ife, usually gets undelivered. You have to send to their yahoo address even for the VC. It all goes back to leadership. If it’s broken at NUC and VC level, I wonder who will enforce the policy.We need policy changes and then a lot of incentives to implement the changes, and understanding the importance of this in this new age, not just paying lip service and awarding bogus IT contracts.

“Also, pre-qualify a finite set of IT companies that will meet a minimum criteria in terms of features, security, and experience, to do the implementation, otherwise you will have novices like my former lecturers at OAU claiming they can do it all (yet they can’t automate academic transcript or even use official email).

“We need to take the small things seriously if we are to move forward as a country. If the VC at my alma mater, Oxford University, were to send an email for partnership to that of a Nigerian university and there was no response, you can only imagine the lost opportunities.”

Also speaking to the ICIR, Habeeb Kolade, Growth Manager at Insight Africa and Co-founder and former Head of Marketing at LLH, a company that leverages existing technologies to improve learning in Africa, said the problem is not peculiar to universities, but is general especially among the older generation.

​”Unsolicited mails are barely opened,” he said. “There is a lack of urgency attached to emails and more, nonchalance towards unsolicited mails. It is worse when emails are not the primary way of communicating in an organization, as you find in many universities, thus responding to external mails becomes difficult.”

“I don’t think this is a technical problem, rather a culture problem which can be solved using two tools; education and technology. People need to learn that mails are just as urgent as calls or text messages and should be treated as such.”

Oluwaseun David Adepoju, Lead Facilitator at TECHmiT AFRICA, said no individual or organisation should have an excuse for not using a 46-year-old technology and said the email culture in Nigerian universities remains a matter of concern.

“From my recent experience with a public university in south west Nigeria, I discovered that the university had all the corporate emails on the university website for the sake of just having them listed,” he recounted. “I sent mails to three of the addresses on the website and all of them bounced back to me as mailer daemons. This situation is an indication the mails have not been used in a long time.”Many university graduates have lost postgraduate admissions abroad because their university in Nigeria could not reply the mail sent from these universities abroad to confirm their documents. What a sad reality.

“​The ICT unit of the universities can assign a number of email accounts to each individual working in the unit for easy and prompt responses. Their roles will necessarily be to respond to the mails and forward them to the appropriate quarters for attention. This will add immensely to the image the university has in the international community.”

The National Universities Commission’s Director of Press, Ibrahim Yakasai, could not be reached for comments through a phone call. Also, a text sent to him was not replied and a mail to his hotmail address “could not be delivered”.

ICIR also sent a direct mail to the Executive Secretary of NUC, and received a message from Directorate of Corporate Communications, days later:

“Thank you for your mail. It has been forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration and treatment.”

Source: https://www.icirnigeria.org/exposed-how-nigerian-federal-universities-completely-ignore-email-enquiries/

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2018
It's not just schools even banks and other Nigerian organisations are guilty of not replying emails sad

23 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 05, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
It's not just schools even banks and other Nigerian organisations are guilty of not replying emails sad
For banks I disagree. Many banks now reply emails but not all banks

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 5:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
Interesting! I will like to see a similar test for private and state owned universities. Federal Uni enjoy the highest external funding in Nigeria.
Cc : HigherEd.

6 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 2:12pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalasticlala, a good thread is wasting here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Blue3k2: 2:49pm On Jun 06, 2018
I can agree these public instutions bearly respond. I can admit that I had my question answered promptly by OGFZA regarding status about Akwa Ibom OGFZ. That's one of few good government interactions I had.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by skyhighweb(m): 6:51pm On Jun 06, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Lalasticlala, a good thread is wasting here.
theres no snake involve

8 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by rozayx5(m): 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
There is no world class university in Nigeria

What we have are just poultry houses

Producing CV hawkers and paper carriers

undecided undecided

Shitholian republic

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nigeriabiafra80: 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
Ok
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by connectikut89(m): 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
Thank you for bringing this up OP. I sent an enquiry e-mail to my alma mater, Uniben, since last year. I'm yet to get a response till date. Highly irresponsible!

22 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by OboOlora(f): 6:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
When they tell u to attend good schools like Unilag, U will carry ur big head and be attending OSU, Lautech and unaab where the head of records still rely on files and cabinets!

7 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by seunmsg(m): 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2018
This is not peculiar to Nigerian universities o. Almost all public institutions in Nigeria are guilty. They hardly reply their email. I once requested for an infirmation in 2016 from international standard organization and standard organization of Nigeria vide email and I got a reply from ISO after about 15 minutes. I am still waiting for SON's reply till today.

12 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by AwolowoAssLicker(f): 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2018
Blame Bughari

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by obajoey(m): 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2018
rightly said.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by bigerboy200: 6:54pm On Jun 06, 2018
Everything is wrong with that country maaan..

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by ademoladeji(m): 6:55pm On Jun 06, 2018
Well, I know that UNILORIN responded to the mail I sent requesting for my transcript.

Also, UI also responded before my masters programme

6 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by chuksjuve(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lemme tell you a joke.

Nigeria is the giant of Africa

Funny right ?

That's the situation we have found ourselves ..

Let's pray

7 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by seguno2: 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Those who are PAID to respond are busy on nairaland or fcvking students for grades.

4 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by MOHE: 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
God bless the OP. I'm happy to be reading this kind of post. I've also made enquiries through some of these channels and was dissapointed. It's so disappointing. One will now have to think; what's the essence of those mail addresses if mails will not be responded? This is gross neglect. We claim World class when we can't manage something as simple as this. I hope this gets to the right persons for change.

11 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nairalandmentor(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
grin
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by chiscodedon(m): 6:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
I swear down, We're yet to know the essence of Electronic mail in Nigeria, until you Waka come office come join queue, Na then you will get answer.. I could remember when I was registering for my Post graduate, I sent more than 8 mails to the School, they never deem it fit to respond, even had to check there staff email contact, forwarded mail upto 5 of the staffs, none responded... We still 9 miles afar in naija

10 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nbote(m): 6:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
Our universities dat are still stuck in stone age. They haven't finished responding to admission na enquiries dem go respond to..

6 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Speakdatruth: 6:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
That's a thorough finding

7 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by seguno2: 6:58pm On Jun 06, 2018
chuksjuve:
Lemme tell you a joke.

Nigeria is the giant of Africa

Funny right ?

That's the situation we have found ourselves ..

Let's pray

Pray for what to happen exactly?
Pray for you to realise that you have to work so others can see you and be encouraged to also work?
What do you want to pray for

3 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jun 06, 2018
Abeg, someone that read the epistle should quote me and summarize it grin grin
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by seguno2: 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2018
Speakdatruth:
That's a thorough finding

.....from dedicated, systematic work

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by charlesu49(m): 7:00pm On Jun 06, 2018
Uniport and most of its lecturers make use of their corporate mails.

2 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by paparazzi1987(m): 7:00pm On Jun 06, 2018
Expecially those applying for WES credential evaluations...Really a pain in the ass.

3 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Lexusgs430: 7:00pm On Jun 06, 2018
How many public/govt parastatals respond to emails?
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by sean079: 7:02pm On Jun 06, 2018
Nigeria is a destiny killer and destroyer. That was how futa refused to respond to mail from Norway about certificates confirmation. And you see them shouting investors up and down

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / My 2015 Admission Testimony - Share Here / Ozofor Ikenna Henry: UNIZIK Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.