Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics (62947 Views)

FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy / HND Certificates’ Long Road To Obliteration / 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by frisavic(m): 8:04am On Jun 06, 2018
The major difference is B.Sc Eng is more of scientific principles and RESEARCH. more of research than practical while the other emphasises more on using those principles in a more practical way-industries. I.e "iDesign and construction"
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by greggng: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2018
Implementing things in this shithole is always a problem. I 've been hearing this for donkey years
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by directonpc(m): 8:06am On Jun 06, 2018
sureteeboy:
If not for the fact that the Nigerian educational system is in such a precarious position with zero or no support for scientific researches. Why should engineering be rated higher than those pure sciences in the first instance
that's the sad truth.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Kennethblake: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2018
That's very good but I hope it will work not only meeting sake.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Mintek: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2018
Yankiss:

Rated higher than B.Sc. by who?? Say what you know. I obtained B.Sc. Engineering in five years.

That's a fact, bro.
B. Tech takes 5years and has a far wider study scope than BSc.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by pedrilo: 8:06am On Jun 06, 2018
Firmjudge:

All Federal University of Technology issue a B.tech certificate which is usually or often rated above Bsc.
I guess you never knew.

Lesson 1: Don't ever rush to comment.
stop this unnecessary rating pls. Education is the vehicle that transfers knowledge from one generation to another in different fields. Are u an illeterate?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Viergeachar: 8:10am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:
So, what's the difference between B. Tech and HND.
We can just simply say, certificate changed name.
So, it will still face the same discrimination.
Do you remember when NEPA was changed to PHCN?
What's the difference between the two?

The existing federal universities of technology award B.Tech.

This a welcome development.

However, entry requirements for those who want a B.Tech will be same as the university.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by generalorot(m): 8:10am On Jun 06, 2018
And besides.. This news is fake.. Nothing of such has been debated.. I don't know where op got his info from.. And we should be careful of what we move to the front page..
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by SEALL(m): 8:11am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:
it simply means there wont be any discrimination btw the B.sc(Bachelor of Science) and the B.tech(Bachelor of Technology) and HnD holders anymore because all course will now be governed by the respective university, like an external campus or so
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Viergeachar: 8:12am On Jun 06, 2018
Yankiss:

Rated higher than B.Sc. by who?? Say what you know. I obtained B.Sc. Engineering in five years.

Come on. B.Sc is a little lower than B.Tech and B.Eng.
B.Eng is the standard degree of a graduate engineer.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by vince01: 8:15am On Jun 06, 2018
THIS is a fake news. ..ignore it[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by janeobasi24: 8:17am On Jun 06, 2018
Firmjudge:

All Federal University of Technology issue a B.tech certificate which is usually or often rated above Bsc.
I guess you never knew.

Na true my brother..... To obtain B.Tech no be moi-moi

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mapet: 8:18am On Jun 06, 2018
kazyhm:
Confused state of Nigeria.

What problem is this going to solve ?

instead in my opinion for them to reduce the number of conventional Universities and strengthen Universities of technologies and Polytechnics to empower the middle class and drive the country through technological innovation and development.

well, they've actually succeeded in demoralizing polytechnic graduates from now henceforth..........and i doubt if this myopic reforms will hold water.

You alleged myopic reforms, yet you gave opinion that is just a concoction of flowery words. Reduce the number of conventional universities? how? Cancel or withdraw license? outright close-down? or what exactly? How exactly are Universities of Technology and Polytechnics going to empower middle class?

My tots are that you do not understand this intiative, what intent it was to serve and how it ties into aspiration to properly integrate polytechnic graduate correctly into the "system". What I see you do is an attempt to denigrate this initiative with a rather confusing/confused submission.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by topaz321: 8:19am On Jun 06, 2018
Firmjudge:

I guess you never knew.

You are the one rushing to comment here. Not all the Federal University of Technology issue B.tech my friend. What happens to B.eng? Make your findings well before coming to comment.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by luckyogor(m): 8:21am On Jun 06, 2018
New wahala loading.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Udyawanga: 8:21am On Jun 06, 2018
Old news with few editing. Let d students not being deceived
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by blackgold2018(m): 8:22am On Jun 06, 2018
Yankiss:

Oga it's B.Eng( Bachelor in engineering) and not B.Sc. Engineering. Nnawah o.. Graduate.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by janeobasi24: 8:22am On Jun 06, 2018
Throwback:
In SouthAfrica, B.Tech is what we know as HND.

As for those claiming all Federal Universities of Technology award B.Tech, does FUTO award B.Tech too?

Yes dear..... FUTO awards B.Tech and B.Eng( Engineers)
I am a FUTO graduate
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Yankiss(m): 8:22am On Jun 06, 2018
Viergeachar:

Come on. B.Sc is a little lower than B.Tech and B.Eng.
B.Eng is the standard degree of a graduate engineer.
Yup. Unilag awards B.Sc. (Eng.)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by Yankiss(m): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
blackgold2018:
Oga it's B.Eng( Bachelor in engineering) and not B.Sc. Engineering. Nnawah o.. Graduate.
You wouldn't fault a degree I obtained. Unilag awards B.Sc.(Eng.) not B.Eng. directly. Now, you know?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by israelmao(m): 8:25am On Jun 06, 2018
Long-awaited reform.
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mapet: 8:26am On Jun 06, 2018
CChillz:
Nice move by the FEC because the kind of discrimination polytechnic graduates face in some private establishment is really alarming. The problem now might be that it will become hard for those that have gotten their OND to get admitted to further in the B.tech category. Let hope this reformation in the tertiary institution works for the best.

The reform itself should be all encompassing. It is also about redesign and restrategising the curricular of Poly education for better fit into technology drive in the govt and private sector. I noticed some interesting things in the report

1. All non-Technology based courses will be scrapped
2. Polytechnic will now become campuses of proximate universities. The VC's will then appoint Rectors - This potentially slippery but will be interesting how this pans out. Will the B.Tech then be awarded by the proximate universities or the Polytechnics?
3. Current HND certificate elevated to same levels with B.SC. Private sectors are not obeying this rule
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by mapet: 8:28am On Jun 06, 2018
Nedfed:
I was in my ND1 in 2006 when they came with such promises of scrapping HND and adopt B.tech but all was false. After my ND programme with a year Industrial Training (IT) I crossed to the university to further my studies. My people this is 2018 (12yrs after) I av banged Degree, Master's Degree and also running some professional programs yet Polytechnics have not stop awarding HND to their products. Am not here to discriminate cos polytechnics still stand has a gateway to my success but just that don't be deceive by this so called useless govt of our country. Believe in yourself and what you have and I see will all achieving our DREAMS.

Lemme guess,

1. You didn't read beyond the headlines
2. You just want to "vent" your pain.....
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by airsaylongcon: 8:30am On Jun 06, 2018
Galadimat:

how can u compare B TECH with HND. It takes good 5 years to obtain the former in any university of technology and its rated higher than BSC.

I disagree that B. Tech is higher than a B. Sc for the same course. I'm a Computer Science B. Sc grad and in no way see no value addition why someone from say FUTA will spend 5 years in uni studying the same course and get a B. Tech. It's exactly the some course content whether in a Tech U or regular Uni
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by CSTR1003: 8:31am On Jun 06, 2018
sureteeboy:
If not for the fact that the Nigerian educational system is in such a precarious position with zero or no support for scientific researches. Why should engineering be rated higher than those pure sciences in the first instance
Because without Engineers, your science would remain in the laboratory and remain of very little use to the world.
Adapting laboratory models to Industrial and large scale applications is where the value is.

Engineers can be scientists on the basis of their basic training .
But It will take a higher level of training and education for scientists to become Engineers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by EMINIBLAIT(m): 8:32am On Jun 06, 2018
Jackossky:

guy no mind them !!!
most of them that went against your comment are polytechnic graduates or undergraduate that are happy to hear they rebranded HND certificate.

they know deep theres no where or no way b.tech can be rated ahead of bsc . university engineering takes 5 years to complete gets B.SC
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by janeobasi24: 8:33am On Jun 06, 2018
iAlex:
Believe this at your own peril.

Lol
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by brenister10: 8:34am On Jun 06, 2018
Galadimat:

how can u compare B TECH with HND. It takes good 5 years to obtain the former in any university of technology and its rated higher than BSC.

BTECH rated higher than BSC, which school you go sef? Your certificate and capability has to be examined and well tested by a competent authority
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by yourstar: 8:36am On Jun 06, 2018
Biko unu hapukene ndi HND and B. tech no be today we begin hear the story..pls connect me with any optometrist in U.S I will appreciate
Re: Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics by gaventa: 8:36am On Jun 06, 2018
old news. Same news we jubilated on way back 2010...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Universities With Terrible Postgraduate Programmes / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / Course Rep Accused Of Stealing Phone At Lead City University (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.