Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,333 members, 7,780,871 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? (8259 Views)

Mbu Deployed As AIG In charge Of Lagos, Ogun States / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / ACN, CPC, ANPP And APGA Merged Officially? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by wirinet(m): 11:55am On May 31, 2010
ode remo:

do you guys think running a state is like managing your private company where accounts a merged for consolidation?
why should state be merged,. for a minute i thought OGUN was so viable the IJEBUS cant wait to slide out of the state. merge ko , merge ni.
OGD, just go jejele.

I think the Yorubas should lobby for the merging of Lagos and Ogun States. That would be of immense benefit to both states, and these are my reasons why?

1. Merging up the two state would half the recurrent expenditure of the two states and leave more money for capital projects.

2. The boundary between the two states have merged anyway in that most time you cannot tell if a boundary town is in Lagos or ogun, Examples are Agbara, Akute, Ogijo and Isheri, etc.

3. Lagos is too small (too narrow), the distance from the Atlantic to the northernmost boundary of lagos, i.e Odogunyan, Isheri or Alagbado is less than 40kms, and besides all these border Local government areas were taken from Ogun State.

4. The people in border towns have the same sub ethnic grouping on both sides of the state, ie Ikorodus are Ijebus, while Alagbados are Egba.

4. Merging the two state would make the new state a very powerful economic force in Africa. The combine economy would rival that of the whole of Nigeria.

5. Merging them also would give Lagos the opportunity to create new maga city centres as the present ogun has lots of land instead of choking up the already scarce land available or spending billions reclaiming land from the Atlantic.

6. The new Lagos would have enough arable land to provide agriculture to feed the new mega cities.

If two countries - East and West Germany could merge after being separate for more than 40 years, why can't Lagos and Ogun that had been separated for less than the same 40 years.

The process of merging is easy, A referendum by the people of the two states can be held, and if it is voted for by the peoples of the two states, the proposals can be passes as a bill at their respective national assemblies. And once it becomes law, it only needed to be vetted by the National assembly. (that is if they are ready to do their job).

Even Europe is gradually merging, why are we always going in the opposite direction?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by ziga: 1:58pm On May 31, 2010
@post
Brilliant suggestions, progressive thinking.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians and politicians are too selfish in their thoughts and ways for this to be achievable.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Fhemmmy: 2:13pm On May 31, 2010
There are lot of states that i think should merge.
Nigeria as a nation dont even need more than 15 states.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by yemmight(m): 2:27pm On May 31, 2010
That cannot happen in Nigeria. When Mark is planning to be the next govenor in his state after creating new one and OBJ is planning to install his daugther and Bankole. They will share them in newly created states in Ogun (Ijebu and Abeokuta) Creating new states will never solve our problems.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 2:37pm On May 31, 2010
Correction: Ikorodus are NOT Ijebus.

I seriously doubt the people of the two states would ever really vote for such a move. I know I would't.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by SapeleGuy: 2:44pm On May 31, 2010
When you look at the respective budgets, Lagos N420 billion versus Ogun N100 billion, Greed will kill this idea stone dead.
Will Ogun on the other hand be prepared to share their mineral wealth with Lagos- I think not.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by asha80(m): 3:21pm On May 31, 2010
Food for thought.However is a well known fact that a lot of states in the country now are just not viable.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by presido1: 3:24pm On May 31, 2010
This is a nice idea but have you forgotten that 10 more states was approved by our useless politicians. Maybe Ogun will be divided further to achieve their selfish aim.

Blame Gowon for all these nonsense. Nigeria is better of in Regions.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by skfa1: 3:30pm On May 31, 2010
presido1:

This is a nice idea but have you forgotten that 10 more states was approved by our useless politicians. Maybe Ogun will be divided further to achieve their selfish aim.

Blame Gowon for all these nonsense. Nigeria is better of in Regions.

Where is your hand, abeg shake me.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by otokx(m): 3:33pm On May 31, 2010
We can revert back to the 6 zones structure with the states as local councils.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by wirinet(m): 3:38pm On May 31, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Correction: Ikorodus are NOT Ijebus.

I seriously doubt the people of the two states would ever really vote for such a move. I know I would't.

Why would you not vote for such a move? I thought you are an advocate for good and effective governance. But at one time the whole of the south west except lagos was under one government, was it a terrible thing then. Were the Yorubas not more united then. was the government not far more efficient then?

SapeleGuy:

When you look at the respective budgets, Lagos N420 billion versus Ogun N100 billion, Greed will kill this idea stone dead.
Will Ogun on the other hand be prepared to share their mineral wealth with Lagos- I think not.

Yes there is a huge disparity in budgets now, but if money form the joint state is used to rapidly expand and develop new areas, in no time the the Internal Generated Revenue of the  Ogun section will also increase appreciably.  The revenue generating potential from the ports, airports and other infrastructure far outstrips any mineral wealth that Ogun has. besides Granite, i do not know which other mineral is being exploited in Ogun right now.

Sapeleguy, how would you see a merged state of OGUN/LAGOS with an annual revenue of close to N600 billion but with a recurrent expenditure of less than N100 billion. The state would be world class in less than 5 yrs, if the money is not stolen.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On May 31, 2010
I am an advocate for good and effective government for sure, but in this case, I do not find anything wrong with the existence of the two states as they are.

Ogun has great potential, and in my opinion can do so much more than it has in the past, if only it got the right set of leaders. Lagos, as a result of good governance, has been able to produce so much from the limited resources available to it. I don't see any need for such a move. That does not in anyway mean Ogun is lower than Lagos or can never compete. With about 1/5th of Lagos State's population, I really see no need for a merging of the two states.

If Ogun WANTS/NEEDS a Mega-city within it's territory, it can embark on one all on it's own - it should take the time to woo investors and invest in much the same way that Lagos has chosen to. It is not Ogun's place to provide for Lagos's dream.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by SEFAGO(m): 5:26pm On May 31, 2010
I like the OPs argument
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by sjeezy8: 7:15pm On May 31, 2010
Ogun wont do it. They are starting to discovers other natural resources-

$7 bllion Olokola Liquefied Natural Gas-
Large reserves of Bitumen -
Commercial quanity in Oil- possibly more
Free Trade Zone probably the most important- sea port which will serve both Ogun, Ondo,neighboring states

- So Ogun is ok and can stand on its own- they wont do it. and neither will Lagos no matta how small it is.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 31, 2010
^^^ , how does ekiti come into this again? Why dont you focus on lagos and its many problems
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by sjeezy8: 7:19pm On May 31, 2010
thats why i change it
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by doyin13(m): 7:37pm On May 31, 2010
It will not happen though it makes a lot of sense.
Governments grow bigger not smaller.

But there is still significant scope for cooperation
especially in transportation.

The light rail planned for the old National Rail Corridor
should include Ogun State as originally envisaged although
it seems to have been shelved since the exit of Obj.

Housing and agriculture are also two other areas where
cooperation should be actively sought.

Ogun competing with Lagos on economic terms is a total mismatch.
The best it can do is to tailor itself to provide services to the needs
of Lagos and its populace, while expanding the industrial capacity it
is building over the past decade.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by oderemo(m): 7:43pm On May 31, 2010
@doyin 13 , that put the record straight you are totally right. there shou;ld be aconomic link and not merge.
@kobo, who told you korodus are not ijebu.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by otawa: 7:50pm On May 31, 2010
1. Merging up the two state would half the recurrent expenditure of the two states and leave more money for capital projects.

and ofcourse neglect of more communities.

2. The boundary between the two states have merged anyway in that most time you cannot tell if a boundary town is in Lagos or ogun, Examples are Agbara, Akute, Ogijo and Isheri, etc.

this is no reason to merge. rather Ogun state should take advantage of that to grow. this will further
reduce 'load' on Lagos

3. Lagos is too small (too narrow), the distance from the Atlantic to the northernmost boundary of lagos, i.e Odogunyan, Isheri or Alagbado is less than 40kms, and besides all these border Local government areas were taken from Ogun State.

Lagos is not too small rather Lagos has too many people. It has 15million people. Norway is only 7million.

4. The people in border towns have the same sub ethnic grouping on both sides of the state, ie Ikorodus are Ijebus, while Alagbados are Egba.

I guess Benin Republic should merge with Nigeria.

5. Merging them also would give Lagos the opportunity to create new maga city centres as the present ogun has lots of land   instead of choking up the already scarce land available or spending billions reclaiming land from the Atlantic.

Ok, so they should merge for benefit of Lagos? this is already dead on arrival

6. The new Lagos would have enough arable land to provide agriculture to feed the new mega cities.
Another self serving. Why should the new name be Lagos if they merge. why cant it be Ogun?

If two countries - East and West Germany could merge after being separate for more than 40 years, why can't Lagos and Ogun that had been separated for less than the same 40 years.

You got this wrong. Please visit Berlin to under-stand that scenarios is way-off with Lagos and Ogun. Go again and read your history.

Even Europe is gradually merging, why are we always going in the opposite direction?

where is merging in Europe? having 'schengen area' is not same as merging that Ogun has to loose its identity for Lagos.

How greatest problem is CORRUPTION which is an after effect of the fact that we hate ourself as AFRICANS.

It is only people that self-hate, will still their family MONEY and go and give to neigbour to keep for them.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Abagworo(m): 8:12pm On May 31, 2010
imao.lagos and ogun should be merged.and a whole lot of other states.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 31, 2010
kobojunkie wan start another thing for here.

ikorodu and epe are (were) ijebu towns. They broke away and later became part of lagos but that doesnt mean they arent ethnically ijebu.

if you have evidence to the contrary then post it.

current agitation for an ijebu state includes ikorodu as an important town there.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by oderemo(m): 8:31pm On May 31, 2010
and what of that ascent, the deep surface ijebuish they speak.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 31, 2010
I love the way everyone has presented their arguement without resolving to abuses. Which all threads could be this.
As for the merger, think it is politically impossible, as long as we continue with our 'contorted federalism', economically it sounds interesting (synergy). Can't wait to read more pro and con arguments
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by oderemo(m): 8:48pm On May 31, 2010
I love the way everyone has presented their arguement without resolving to abuses
just wait till the igbo wade in, then you will see fireworks. grin grin
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Akanbiedu(m): 8:50pm On May 31, 2010
Great idea though. But a state by the nigerian constitution has only three senators. hope the new state will have six.

The problem really is that states are basically created in recent times with a view to sharing the national income from Oil. That is the reason people fight over number of states,number of local government in each state, the number of representatives and many more. A good federal system will reduce the tendency to create more states.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 10:18pm On May 31, 2010
ode remo:

@kobo, who told you korodus are not ijebu.

I know this to be the case because I spent quite a significant portion of my life in the one, and spent some years schooling in the other- long enough to understand there are differences between Ijebu folks(both those who live in Ijebu itself and those who live in Ikorodu) and the Ikorodu ijinles in Ikorodu.

Here is a piece on the history of the town
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/282631/Ikorodu
town, Lagos state, southwestern Nigeria. It lies near the Lagos Lagoon, on the Bight of Benin, 14 miles (23 km) northwest of Lagos. A traditional settlement of the Awori people (a subgroup of the Yoruba), it became important in the mid-19th century as a trading post of the Remo (Ijebu-Remo) kingdom on the trade route from Lagos to Ibadan. During the Ibadan-Ijaiye wars (1860–65), the Ikorodu traders, encouraged by both Ibadan and Lagos, decided to break from their Ijebu overlords and smuggled arms across the Ijebu-Egba blockade to Ibadan (58 miles [93 km] north-northeast). In 1865, when the Egba decided to punish Ikorodu, British forces from Lagos intervened and decisively defeated the Egba army in a battle at Ikorodu.

Modern Ikorodu is a collecting point for locally produced fish, poultry, cassava (manioc), corn (maize), vegetables, palm oil and kernels, okra, cabbages, tomatoes, pineapples, and bananas that are shipped to Lagos. Many truck farms are located in the vicinity of the town. The commercial manufacture of pottery is a significant local industry. The town is served by highways between Lagos and Shagamu and between Lagos and Epe. Pop. (2006) local government area, 535,619.

Even the dialect is quite different.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On May 31, 2010
otawa:

this is no reason to merge. rather Ogun state should take advantage of that to grow. this will further
reduce 'load' on Lagos

Lagos is not too small rather Lagos has too many people. It has 15million people. Norway is only 7million.

Another self serving. Why should the new name be Lagos if they merge. why cant it be Ogun?

I like this!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Rastamann: 10:42pm On May 31, 2010
The whole entity called Nigeria must be merged into six states namely North Central, North East, North West, South East, South West, and South South states.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Omolulu(m): 10:57pm On May 31, 2010
otawa:

reduce 'load' on Lagos

You got this wrong. Please visit Berlin to under-stand that scenarios is way-off with Lagos and Ogun. Go again and read your history.

where is merging in Europe? having 'schengen area' is not same as merging that Ogun has to loose its identity for Lagos.

How greatest problem is CORRUPTION which is an after effect of the fact that we hate ourself as AFRICANS.

It is only people that self-hate, will still their family MONEY and go and give to neigbour to keep for them.
good argument
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Musiwa13: 10:59pm On May 31, 2010
what
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by hob(m): 11:00pm On May 31, 2010
its a lofty idea,but i dont think the power gurus in da country would allow 4 diz, they are always looking 4 way 2 expand their corrupt pockets,
Long live Nigeria angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by TheClown: 11:03pm On May 31, 2010
good one.
my one suggestion is;
why not take the Idomas from Benue State and the Igalas from Kogi State and merge them to become one state? These two people profess brotherhood to each other so much that you cannot readily differentiate an Idoma Man from an Igala man. Most timeS they understand each other and bear the same names. Why leave the Igalas with the Okuns and Igbiras with whom they have close to nothing in common? Again, why leave Idomas with the Tivs with whom they practically have nothing in common? And the case is, why the Idomas are practically diminished unto in existence in Benue State, the Igalas are excessively exerting to the point of arrogant dominance in Kogi State, bringing to mind the notion that they are making up for their brothers' predicament in Benue State. PLEASE MERGE THEM AND CREATE ATMOSPHERE FOR PEACE. Kogites, what do you say?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gani's Chambers To Shut Down Jan 15 / Reps Move Against Medical Tourism / Buhari, Sultan, Sanusi Speak On Nigeria’s Unity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 1
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.