Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! (42566 Views)

Oyinbo Baby Relishes Eba & Okro Soup (Video, Photos) / Okro Soup And Fufu To Calm Your Nerves. / Russians Eat Okro Soup And Eba For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:
Kilode grin

na d work wey we dey do oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy...

I Neva spoil ur show shagrin grin

1 Like

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 9:40pm On Jun 06, 2018
majorbravo:

OP, washing raw meat before cooking is not recommended. Just thought I should point that out to you.

Nice presentation btw.

Bro, when u read something from internet, try n relate it to Oyinbo ways not ours. I'm sure the writer will be referring to beef/meet u buy in ASDA, Sainsbury, Coop or Tesco... Those meat including chicken comes neat n sealed. Not the ones u buy at mile 12 that all the flies in the world would have perched on it.

3 Likes

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Akpacha(m): 9:43pm On Jun 06, 2018
Switup:
seriously cus im going on google right away
na everything una de Google? So if person no tell u, u don't know u are suppose wash ur meat b4 cooking?
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Simplybami(f): 9:45pm On Jun 06, 2018
emelda86:

Person go chop poison one day all in the name of soup

I swear.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 9:45pm On Jun 06, 2018
emelda86:

My darlyn truth be told Op tried but all this ingredients for okra soup issa no no for me

My list:
Okra
Crayfish
Mangala fish
Oil
Maggi
Salt
Water
Ugu
With this I'm good to go

Op no vex ooo...
Which one is Mangala again? Na Zabaleta u go see. Women and wahala

1 Like

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by manuel4real(m): 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2018
majorbravo:

OP, washing raw meat before cooking is not recommended. Just thought I should point that out to you.

Nice presentation btw.
can u explain more
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Lalas247(f): 9:54pm On Jun 06, 2018
Randy91:

na d work wey we dey do oooo cheesy cheesy cheesy...

I Neva spoil ur show shagrin grin
Lol e no go better for that work grin
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Lalas247(f): 9:55pm On Jun 06, 2018
manuel4real:

can u explain more
Thanks for asking o... shocked
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Lalas247(f): 9:56pm On Jun 06, 2018
N0favors:
yes, the toy grin

U got jokes grin
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Lalas247(f): 9:58pm On Jun 06, 2018
ranmoor:

Bro, when u read something from internet, try n relate it to Oyinbo ways not ours. I'm sure the writer will be referring to beef/meet u buy in ASDA, Sainsbury, Coop or Tesco... Those meat including chicken comes neat n sealed. Not the ones u buy at mile 12 that all the flies in the world would have perched on it.
It’s gotten from the butchers ... like u have in Naija
Flies are here too don’t get it twisted ... it’s just better to wash it just in case ...especially if you’ll be using the water stick from the meat ..
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:
Lol e no go better for that work grin

hahahahahahaha... Lmao....
chaiii chaiii....

Anywayz,send my own portion even though I'll give it to my dogsgrin grin..
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Switup: 10:03pm On Jun 06, 2018
Akpacha:
na everything una de Google? So if person no tell u, u don't know u are suppose wash ur meat b4 cooking?
stay off my mentions!!!
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 10:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:

Flies are here too don’t get it twisted ... it’s just better to wash it just in case ...especially if you’ll be using the water stick from the meat ..
I've actually seen some of my oyinbo flatmate during school days not washing, they just open and use.. Me that I buy from normal Moor/castle market, I know I have to wash well well, esp. my favorite pork!
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 06, 2018
majorbravo:

I am actually suprised at the number of people on this thread that actually think its safe to wash their meat.

Any professional chef that washes meat ought to be fired.

Use google if you aren't aware.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/never-wash-raw-chicken/
Oga, you don't buy meat from a typical Nigerian market after all the flies must have perched on it and not have to wash it. If I'm buying a neatly packed meat from a mall, I may not wash it.

Lalas247, Okra soup is one of the easiest soup for a Nigerian to cook. No biggie! grin
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by teepain: 10:07pm On Jun 06, 2018
ranmoor:

The very reasons why you are advised against washing raw meats are very present in the Nigerian meat markets. Infact, you can argue that it might be safer to wash meats from Costco, ASDA, WholeFoods and the rest because the meats would have been cleaned partly before you buy them.

Unfortunately, because of the unhygienic handling of meats in our markets, most of the meats will be germs ridden. Since, you will be washing these meats with only water (i.e. without disinfectant) there is a high risk that droplets of water with germs will splash and infect places in the kitchen. Getting in contact with such water droplets afterwards can be very risky.

cc majorbravo
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 06, 2018
Octaves:
with all germs accumulated in the market, all the people wey touch am, all the flies that perched on it, you will just cook it like that.
hmmm pls I'll pass
As in eh! You didn't include dust. He'll be poisoning himself if he tries it. grin

1 Like

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Switup: 10:08pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:

honestly
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 10:12pm On Jun 06, 2018
teepain:

The very reasons why you are advised against washing raw meats are very present in the Nigerian meat markets. Infact, you can argue that it might be safer to wash meats from Costco, ASDA, WholeFoods and the rest because the meats would have been cleaned partly before you buy them.

Unfortunately, because of the unhygienic handling of meats in our markets, most of the meats will be germs ridden. Since, you will be washing these meats with only water (i.e. without disinfectant) there is a high risk that droplets of water with germs will splash and infect places in the kitchen. Getting in contact with such water droplets afterwards can be very risky.

cc majorbravo
Are u kidding, because of the risk of contaminating the kitchen that will still be cleaned, I should contaminate my stomach? My bro, outside is tougher than inside oo

1 Like

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by mhisbliss(f): 10:13pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:
Hi All!

Back again with my quick and easy OKRO SOUP recipe.
So I felt like having some swallow today and thought why not make some okro soup accompanied with either Garri (eba) or Pounded yam (my fav)

Ingredients;
Beef( lamb)
Smoked Turkey
Cow skin (just like ponmo)
Large Smoked prawns
Palm oil
Boullion cube (maggi/knorr)
Onions
Crayfish
Scotch bonnet pepper
All purpose seasoning
Spinach /Ugu leaves
OKRO

cheesyCorrect wifey material, me love this fa
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by teepain: 10:17pm On Jun 06, 2018
ranmoor:

Are u kidding, because of the risk of contaminating the kitchen that will still be cleaned, I should contaminate my stomach? My bro, outside is tougher than inside oo

The scientific rationale for the advice of not washing raw meat is that washing with water will not kill those germs that you fear but you would have handled those germs in their unattenuated form.

Boiling the raw meat will however kill those germs.

1 Like

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by N0favors: 10:18pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lalas247:

U got jokes grin
grin
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 10:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
teepain:

The scientific rationale for the advice of not washing raw meat is that washing with water will not kill those germs that you fear but you would have handled those germs in their unattenuated form.

Boiling the raw meat will however kill those germs.
U know those oyinbo don't use "omi eran" to cook...
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 06, 2018
majorbravo:

I am actually suprised at the number of people on this thread that actually think its safe to wash their meat.

Any professional chef that washes meat ought to be fired.

Use google if you aren't aware.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/never-wash-raw-chicken/

You're right, meat is ideally not supposed to be washed. But it best only if the animal was freshly killed in your presence under good hygienic conditions.

Imagine, in this Nigeria, that our market is in an open space, flies perching on them occasionally, different customers touching the meat to 'sample' their choice, the meat itself also displayed on tables that the meat sellers do not even wash regularly.

My brother are you telling me that even under these unhygienic conditions you will not wash it?

Or I guess you're living abroad in one of the developed countries.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by teepain: 10:26pm On Jun 06, 2018
ranmoor:

U know those oyinbo don't use "omi eran" to cook...

They do and that is what is called meat stock.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Sonaike03: 10:27pm On Jun 06, 2018
We supply white Garri & yellow Garri.

Nationwide delivery available.

+2347066880314

We are ready to do business with you.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by ranmoor: 10:28pm On Jun 06, 2018
teepain:

They do and that is what is called meat stock.
OK ooo, I rest my case ooo. I know little abt food, I'm just a consumer..
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by teepain: 10:30pm On Jun 06, 2018
kimbraa:
As in eh! You didn't include dust. He'll be poisoning himself if he tries it. grin

To get rid of the dust you mentioned, you may parboil the meat before washing so that the germs would have been killed before handling. The risk in handling fresh meat is high. With salmonella, e coli and the rest.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by teepain: 10:34pm On Jun 06, 2018
ranmoor:

OK ooo, I rest my case ooo. I know little abt food, I'm just a consumer..

No wahala my brother. You may parboil before rinsing just to be on the safe side. I used to share your sentiments but my interactions with some USDA officials and exposure to some research findings showed that USDA and other national food regulatory agencies had a basis for the recommendation.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by enemyofprogress: 10:40pm On Jun 06, 2018
Nonsense! The soup is not even sweet. Mtcheeeeeew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 06, 2018
teepain:

To get rid of the dust you mentioned, you may parboil the meat before washing so that the germs would have been killed before handling. The risk in handling fresh meat is high. With salmonella, e coli and the rest.
Nay, I wash before parboiling.
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by Daniel058(m): 10:49pm On Jun 06, 2018
Mcy56:

Search not further bros. Ready to carry you next week. Pray tell what you are bringing to the table.
Lest I forget, hope your own monthly take home is 3M tongue
Na you go marry me nah.. mua.. Can you let me have ur 11 digit biko tongue
Re: Quick And Easy OKRO Soup! by badboyharmony: 10:55pm On Jun 06, 2018
SamuelAnyawu:
sad Pix of Nairalander
she may be ugly asf

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Breadfruit: Hate Or Love? / Post Your New Year Food Here Let's See / N8000 Food Shared By Bayo Omoboriowo, Buhari's Photographer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.