Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,938 members, 7,799,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal (6383 Views)

George Castro-Yankey Caught In Sex Scandal - VIDEO / Gen. Buhari Meets With The Archbishop Of Canterbury (Photo News) / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo Of COZA In Sex Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by OLULAW: 2:17pm On May 31, 2010
Archbishop of Benin resigns

May 31, 2010 1:46 PM | By Sapa-AFP

Pope Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of Irish prelate and archbishop of the Nigerian diocese of Benin City Richard Anthony Burke.

The resignation follows the prelate being accused of molesting a teenage girl. Burke, in a statement to the weekly Irish Catholic, voiced “deepest sorrow for my inappropriate, irresponsible and repeatedly sinful conduct,” but denied having abused a minor.
SOURCE: http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/article479693.ece/Archbishop-of-Benin-resigns

In spite of previous debates on NL (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-340156.0.html ), with some people claiming the innocence of Richard Anthony Burke when they neither went in and out bedrooms with him, nor stayed with him 24/7, 7-day p/week, and 367 days p/year, he has now, finally acknowledged his sinful, immoral act of sleeping-with women despite his oaths of chastity and celibacy. Should more women in Africa come out, heads would certainly start to roll, and the Catholic Church in Africa would begin to have its own share of the shameful clerical intimacy abuse and scandal rocking the Roman Catholic Church in other continents.

NIGERIAN/AFRICAN WOMEN, PLEASE COME OUT OF YOUR CLOSETS AND BLOW THE COVER OPEN. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE. IN FACT, LIKE IN USA, CANADA, EUROPE, AUSTRALIA, YOU CAN SUCCESSFULLY PROSECUTE THESE PRIESTS AND THE CHURCH, AND YOU MAY SMILE YOUR WAY TO AND FROM THE BANKS IN TERMS OF COMPENSATION AWARDS ACCRUABLE FROM SUCH PROSECUTIONS.
Re: Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by OLULAW: 3:22pm On May 31, 2010
THE GENESIS:-
I am writing this note concerning the past and present conducts of ArchBishop Richard Burke S.P.S of the Arch Dioceses of Warri and Benin in Nigeria a Irish citizen. I am a 41-year-old woman who has been living in Canada since 1995 with my husband and 3 children. In 1982 as a young girl from a Muslim home I began my journey into the Catholic faith and first met Father Richard Burke a Catholic priest at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Warri Nigeria. In 1983 when I was 14 years old, I became the victim of (what I now know to be) a sexual assault. When I was 14, I was sick in the hospital with a fever and Father Burke came to visit me. When he and I were alone in my hospital room, he touched and kissed me in a very inappropriate manner. During my teenage years, I suffered through the divorce of my parents, Richard Burke was there for me and the relationship between myself and he intensified. I became so attached to Richard Burke, that there seemed to be no one else that could be a part of my life, even though I knew that he was having relations with other young Nigerian girls. During the past 25 years I did not tell anyone of our relationship, because he told me not to talk about it to anyone no matter what and also fear of the negative impacts on him and the Catholic Church. Richard Burke left Nigeria in 1989 when he was sent to New Jersey in the USA and then back to Ireland with St. Patrick’s Society. In 1993 I met my husband, who was a Canadian volunteer working in Nigeria, while I was studying at University. My husband and I were married in 1995 in Canada and have had 3 children together. From 1989 to 1995 Father Burke and I continued communications by letters. When I told him that I was planning to get married in 1994, he became upset with me and told me that I should never tell anyone about the relationship between himself and I. Richard Burke returned to Nigeria in 1996 as Bishop of Warri Diocese. From 1996 to 1998, my husband and I left Canada and worked in Thailand. In 1998 Bishop Burke and I began regular communications by phone again. In 2000 while I was expecting my second child, Bishop Burke said that he would help get my youngest sister to come to Canada for a visit. I suspected that there was something not right when things did not work out and Bishop Burke began to take a keen interest in my youngest sisters well being. Once again, our relationship intensified with frequent amorous telephone conversations. In 2005 I found out that Bishop Burke had had a sexual relationship with my youngest sister. The “friendship” between Bishop Burke and myself began to deteriorate as, once again, I started to become aware of other young girls that he was molesting. In fact, I suspect that Richard Burke has molested or sexually abused hundreds of young Nigerian girls during his time as a priest and Bishop in Nigeria. I also know that he has taped past conversations that I have had with him and have told others, including his family in Ireland as well as my husband that I am obsessed with him in order to discredit me and make me appear to be crazy. Over a year ago, following a major dispute between myself and Bishop Burke, I confessed to my husband that I had had an intimate relationship with Bishop Burke. This was the first time that I had ever told anyone of this affair. Since my confession, my husband and I have gone to marriage counseling and I have taken private counseling to deal with the stress, trauma and confusion that I have had to deal with over the past 26 years. Following my counseling sessions, I have learned that a man that I though had loved and cared for me has in fact manipulated and controlled me. I know that Richard Burke is self-serving and that he does not serve the Church. In fact the Church serves Richard Burke by providing him access to the young girls that look up to him and then become his victims of unwanted sexual advances. I believe now, that Richard Burke is a craddle-robber I have been corresponding with St. Patrick\\\'s Society since 2007 about this and have shared with them taped conversations that I had with Richard Burke in the past where he admits to having inapproprite sexual relations with young girls, married women, religious sisters and love-peddlers. I have saved notes letters and emails that Richard Burke had sent me in the past, which I have shared with those of St. Patrick\\\'s that are \\\"investigating\\\" him. I know that Richard Burke was sent for an assessment at St. Luke\\\'s in Manchester in March of this year, and that Richard Burke is continuing with his public ministry in Nigeria and is having access to young girls in Nigeria. I do not beleive that St. Patrick\\\'s Society in Kiltegan County Wicklow, Ireland has taken my complaints seriously. I do not trust them, and believe that they are trying to help Richard Burke escape prosecution and justice for the crimes he has committed.
http://www.catholicreport.org/comments.php?cID=5650
Re: Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by OLULAW: 10:07am On Jun 01, 2010

When this beast and wolf in shepherd's clothing have, to quote Dolores Atwood who let the cat out of the bag, "inapproprite sexual relations with young girls, married women, religious sisters and love-peddlers," any wonder Edo girls and women constitute the largest group of Nigerians in the oldest trade in the world - p.r.o.s.t.i.t.u.t.i.o.n?
Re: Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by OLULAW: 10:08am On Jun 01, 2010
[img]http://www.thevanguard.ca/media/photos/unis/2010/04/02/photo_653953_resize_article.jpg[/img]
Dolores Atwood, the Edo woman who brought to light ArchBishop Richard Burke's affairs (http://www.catholicreport.org/comments.php?cID=5650)
Re: Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by Jenwitemi(m): 10:23am On Jun 01, 2010
Whiteman's religion isn't so clean, afterall. We are being taught a hard lesson here. More to come. . .
Re: Archbishop Resigns Over S-e-x Scandal by Abuzola1(m): 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2010
pedophiles and their evil religion

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? / I Really Pity Christians / Is It A Sin To Burn A Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.