Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List (38285 Views)

Garba Lawal Tackles Rohr Over World Cup List / Agu & Aina dropped from Nigeria's final World Cup list. / Aftermath Of Super Eagles World Cup Qualification: 10 Funny Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Uranus1: 12:50am On Jun 08, 2018
With many players hoping to play a part on football’ s biggest stage , heart breaks, disappointment and a fair bit of tantrum follows the announcement of the list of players heading to the World Cup. For the Super Eagles Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr worked his list from 30 players , trimming five players before he dropped another two before he named the final 23 players . But are they the best selection of players to Russia? Here are five players who should have made the list .

Junior Lokosa
The Kano Pillars forward earned an invite to the Super Eagles after he had scored 18 goals in 20 games in the Nigeria Professional Football League . Lokosa was dropped after Gernot Rohr trimmed the 30 -man list to an initial 25 players before the final 23 - man list . Lokosa got very little in the way of proving his mettle in the Super Eagles setup before he was cut - off. He made his debut on the bumpy Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium against DR Congo in an unfamiliar role on the right side of attack and lasted only 73 minutes . Lokosa is currently the highest scoring Nigerian player in the World and he could have offered his goal -scoring touch to a misfiring attack.

Kelechi Nwakali
Nwakali showed in the match against Atletico Madrid , he will not be out of place in the Super Eagles at the World Cup. The Arsenal midfielder played with a maturity that belied his years and curled an unstoppable strike past Jan Oblak for good measure . With dissatisfaction with the Super Eagles midfield distribution , the intelligent Nwakali would have ensured that feeling was eased if he was invited to the initial 30 -man list. Asides his impact on the field , the youngster touted to play a key part in the next generation of Super Eagles , would have gained valuable experience being at the World Cup rubbing shoulders and learning from John Mikel Obi . Rohr missed a trick .

Ola Aina
Ola Aina didn ’t get a fair run in the Super Eagles stuck out on the left side of the defence. Predominantly a right back but also comfortable on the left , Rohr should have taken the player to the World Cup as his versatility could prove useful . Though he didn ’t do enough to convince and his tugging of Issama Mpeko probably sealed his exclusion . Still , Aina , who was dropped as part of the final two players to be excluded would have properly contested with Bryan Idowu for a place in the starting line- up .

Mikel Agu
First perceived as a Rohr favourite all to be let go at the final juncture , Agu ’s disappointment would have been immeasurable. The midfielder would be particularly miffed after he was dropped In place of Joel Obi . Joel Obi was deplorable in the game against England before the final list was announced and has gotten far more chance to prove himself than Agu. Agu has been limited to cameos off the bench , which wasn ’t enough time to showcase his talents .

Henry Onyekuru
Onyekuru ’s case has a bit of misfortune about it, his long term injury scuppered his chances for the World Cup but there was a sliver of hope to be had . Onyekuru worked himself back to fitness to be in contention for a World Cup spot but didn ’t feature for Anderlecht with the coach Hein Vanhaezebrouck claiming he wasn’ t ready to play from what he had seen in Onyekuru ’s stints in the reserve games . Onyekuru ’s pace and dynamism on the wings would have infused much needed creativity to the Super Eagles front line. His goal scoring threat threat would have also been an addition to Nigeria at the World Cup.

https://www.nigerialog.com/sports/five-players-who-should-have-made-super-eagles-world-cup-list/new/#new

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Mariangeles(f): 1:02am On Jun 08, 2018
Obafemi Martins should have been included in the list also...

28 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Diegostan(m): 2:01am On Jun 08, 2018
Garbage in, Garbage out.

No need for long talk...
Let's just go and show the world we can wear fine jersey in Africa.

I pity the elderly that tunes to naija match

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by AK6464(m): 2:08am On Jun 08, 2018
You guys don't know Stephen Exempt, sorry
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by MANNABBQGRILLS: 2:56am On Jun 08, 2018
MOVE ON.............

FORWARD EVER....
BACKWARD NEVER.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by dlaw70(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2018
Somebody sat in a bear palor and said ogenyi onazi is the best thing to happen to super eagle,my people,if una c d kind beaten wen drunkers give am

as i d type right now,d man has gone blind,deaf and dumb

russia2018 is a joke with onazi

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by femi4: 7:42am On Jun 08, 2018
Simon Moses

4 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by CaptainGOOD: 9:49am On Jun 08, 2018
The case of HENRY onyekuru pained me.
For those that havnt seen him play just check him out one u tube..
I have not seen a fast dribbler like him.
At least not in Africa no jokes.
He has a very high and fast dribble with quick ball control.

12 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by kpaofame: 9:49am On Jun 08, 2018
smiley

Onazi Out

Joel Obi out

I clearly did not see any impact they bring to the games they played after qualification...

Moses should be benched sef, no zeal and hunger for him in SE Jersey anylonger (we need more people like Iwobi, Oyibo wall who have a personal drive to excel in our colours)

Nigeria Midfield is in Shambles...A grandfather like Okocha can even earn a place in that midfield...

Lets hope a fit Ndidi will bring some stability to that midfield when the mundial commence

15 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Eberex(m): 9:49am On Jun 08, 2018
Ebere Alexander

2 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by elgramz: 9:50am On Jun 08, 2018
Ola Aina has no business in the world cup team

3 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Aieboocaar(m): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2018
Same old crappy players,

2 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by sunnyworld2love(m): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2018
Mariangeles:
Obafemi Martins should have been included in the list also...

Obafemi Martins ke...... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

5 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by YINKS89(m): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2018
With den included re we still going to advance to d round of 16 , if yes den our loss ,if no den why disturbing ur self.

1 Like

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by theoldpretender(m): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
Whatever the list...that is football,

In 1958, the coach of a South American country, much to the anger of the fans, brought in an unproven 17 year old into the national side, instead of an established striker from one of the big clubs. To make matters worse, the 17 year old got a small injury.....but once he recovered, said 17 year old went on to score two goals in the final of the World Cup. His name...Edson Arantes dos Nascimento, aka Pele....

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Felixalex(m): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
The Coach has made his choice, he can't go to Russia with everyone you think is good enough to go.

If Leroy Sane could be dropped then who are these people you mentioned?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by FunmyKemmy(f): 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
hmmm
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by oshe11: 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by slawomir: 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
ok
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by abeliver: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2018
Still wondering what Ighalo and Onazi are doing in this squad...

Anyway #ThisIsNigeria whr our oga at d top is allergic to talent

4 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by Speakdatruth: 9:53am On Jun 08, 2018
Dis players have lots of chances ahead of dem, no need to rush things
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by mysteriousman(m): 9:53am On Jun 08, 2018
Onazi doesn't have any business in the world cup

7 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by damosky12(m): 9:53am On Jun 08, 2018
Don't put your money on the failure of this team. They have the potential of getting seven points from that group.

Save this post.

1 Like

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by oyatmicah(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2018
wait, am I d only one hoping dat d super eagles have been playing like that cos they are afraid to get injured b4 the big games and care little or less about the pre world cup warm up matches cos even if na me, ordinary hard kicking of d ball i no go do am o, i cnt let somebody come and "Sergio Ramos" me and i surely will cry like a Bush baby ni, wait for another 4 year? never, me no blame them jare

7 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by obaataaokpaewu: 9:55am On Jun 08, 2018
We are about 180 million in the country, if everybody is asked to pick his team, we will have about 180 million list. Gernot Rohr has been put in charge, so we will go with his list

12 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by zombieHUNTER: 9:55am On Jun 08, 2018
Fit onyekuru could have lightened the world

Onazi is old and tired

2 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by theoldpretender(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
CaptainGOOD:
The case of HENRY onyekuru pained me.
For those that havnt seen him play just check him out one u tube..
I have not seen a fast dribbler like him.
At least not in Africa no jokes.
He has a very high and fast dribble with quick ball control.

As the article says..long term injury plus not playing for his club much this season reduced his chances. Coaches prefer to select players partly on how many times they played for their clubs the precceding season.

1 Like

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by redangel2017: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
Come my village .. U will see players that will bring back that cup jejely angrylol

4 Likes

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by sodiqapril(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
h
Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by ofuonyebi: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
This postmortem is needless now...let's not crucify anyone yet until we see the result of those the coach took to russia...all they need now, is our

support...whether they are good or not is a story for another 4-yrs world cup...

1 Like

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by nephemmy(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
if onazi made it then I should be first in the list cos I'm far better than that thing called onazi..anyways we'll just play our 3games and come back home..no hard feelings, it's the truth though

1 Like

Re: Five Players Who Should Have Made Super Eagles World Cup List by nephemmy(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
if onazi made it then I should be first in the list cos I'm far better than that thing called onazi..anyways we'll just play our 3games and come home..no hard feelings, it's the truth though

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chified Shows Off Her Muscles / Super Eagles Take A Walk In Tanzania (Photo) / 80% Of Barca Members Want Valverde Sacked And Prefer Klopp Over Koeman & Pep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.