Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan (3453 Views)

Breaking: Court Urged To Stop Jonathan From Running / BREAKING NEWS: NANS Backs Jonathan’s Second Term / Court Refuses To Stop Jonathan’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by onelink205: 5:38am On Jun 01, 2010
2011: Aondoakaa backs Jonathan
Cover Stories May 31, 2010
Mr. Michael Aondoakaa, SAN
By Emma Ujah, Abuja Bureau Chief
ABUJA—FORMER Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Michael Aondoakaa, SAN, weekend, described the controversial zoning arrangement of the Peoples ‘Democratic Party, PDP, as a distraction and unconstitutional.

Aondoakaa, who returned to the country from Rome on a United Nations’ assignment since leaving government also urged Nigerians to rally round President Goodluck Jonathan to enable him deliver dividends of democracy to the electorate, stressing that Jonathan remained the most appropriate candidate to ensure peace and stability.

The top loyalist of the late President Yar’Adua who described PDP’s zoning policy as discriminatory, argued: “Fundamentally, a zoning policy of any political party is a sort of an agreement which appears to be in conflict with the provision of the 1999 Constitution.

“If you zone the Presidency to a particular zone, it means you are creating discrimination, which is fundamentally a violation of the 1999 Constitution which gives the right to any Nigerian who is qualified to contest.”
Zoning infringes Jonathan’s rights

Asked to be specific on whether President Jonathan could contest the 2011 polls, Aondoakaa said it would be unfair for anyone to ask Dr. Jonathan not to run on the basis of an unconstitutional arrangement by a political party.

He said: “Well, if it is on the basis of the zoning that they are talking, they will be unfair to ask him not to contest and will be infringing on his constitutional right. It is a right given to him by the Constitution which he has a sole discretion to exercise.

“And ideally, political parties should not come up with guidelines and policies that directly infringe on the Constitution. Honestly, the issue of zoning is a distraction and unconstitutional. Nigerians at this stage should be talking of credible elections and free participation. Credible people should be allowed to participate in the election.

“I come from Tiv, a minority tribe, and if we start talking that the minority cannot have their way, we will be creating a bigger problem for this nation. The moment we allow everybody to contest, the issue of settlers or non-settlers will stop. I think we are on course. The choice of who should be elected as President should be left to the electorate.”

Aondoakaa added that if the late President Umaru Yar’Adua was alive, he would have run on the same ticket with Dr. Jonathan and that from a rational viewpoint, as well as international best practices, nobody should stop the President from seeking re-election, next year.

He stressed that PDP should allow President Jonathan to pursue the seven-point agenda enunciated by Yar’Adua to a logical conclusion, given that appreciable progress had already been recorded in some key areas such as the resolution of the Niger Delta crisis, electricity supply and electoral reform.

Aondoakaa said: “In America, an incumbent President can only be denied the right to contest Presidential Election only if there is glaring evidence that he cannot carry out programmes of the party.

And over the years, incumbent American presidents always had the right to seek re-election.

“The most rational thing which Nigerians and even members of the PDP should consider is that PDP government came in 2007 with a seven-point agenda that could deliver dividends of democracy and between 2007 and till ex-President Yar’Adua died in 2010, President Goodluck Jonathan was the co-pilot of the agenda.

“He appears to be in the knowledge of the seven-point agenda more than anybody. He also participated in the implementation of the seven-point agenda with Yar’Adua more than anybody.

“And the actual implementation of the seven-point agenda has commenced with the Amnesty Package in the Niger Delta; enhanced security; power; electoral reform and food security. All these have taken off in the last three years. One would expect that a person who will ensure the full implementation of the seven-point agenda should be the President in 2011.

This is the naked reality and we must accept that naked reality because Nigeria has suffered from so many abandoned programmes and we must ensure stability.”

The former AGF who was seen as one of the greatest obstacles to Dr. Jonathan’s ascension to the position of Acting President at the peak of Yar’Adua’s ailment, said all Yar’Adua’s loyalists should support Jonathan.

His words: “Anybody who was loyal to ex-President Yar’Adua and genuinely felt that his programmes were good for this country should give support to Jonathan to ensure the full implementation of the seven-point agenda. That is the only way to pay tribute to the late President.

In other words, any other person, who was a supporter of Yar’Adua and has moral conscience should leave politics aside and look at the naked reality of who is in a better position to implement the seven-point agenda and bring peace.

“If anybody really loved Yar’Adua and cherished the seven-point agenda, I believe it will be unwise to work against President Jonathan because he is the one implementing the seven-point agenda. I am talking of what I feel.

My passion is that the ideals that were conceived by the late President and his co-pilot should be fully implemented. Except someone has his own private motive, President Jonathan should be allowed to continue.”

On his political ambition, Aondoakaa said he won’t contest Benue State governorship election, come 2011, as according to him, he had confidence in Suswam.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/05/31/2011-aondoakaa-backs-jonathan/

Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Osama10(m): 5:40am On Jun 01, 2010
This guy is just a foolish and useless SAN talking with both sides of his mouth.

Must he talk.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Beaf: 5:43am On Jun 01, 2010
[size=27pt]Aondoakaa is a fool![/size]

Uncle Joe does not need his double faced support. Can the man not just be jailed like yesterday?
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by newmaster(m): 5:54am On Jun 01, 2010
wonder why press gave this stupid idiot , this kind of publicy, this a sycophant, was not him that refused to recognized jonathan as acting president after he was sworn in , he was referring to him as VP. dont think we are fools. Honestly his type should be cooling in prison 4 turning our constitution up side down. for his selfish egois. MR president beware of this basket mouth aondoakaa,
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Nobody: 6:03am On Jun 01, 2010
Beaf:

[size=27pt]Aondoakaa is a fool![/size]

Uncle Joe does not need his double faced support. Can the man not just be jailed like yesterday?
in politics,there is no enemity;just permanent interest.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by jumobi1(m): 6:07am On Jun 01, 2010
If zoning is part of pdps unwritten constitution, j-Dogg should respect it and run under another party since he has a right to exercise.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by princekevo(m): 6:21am On Jun 01, 2010
Oh C'mon I give up with Nigeria. Someone who caused so much damage to Nigeria and the constitution are being welcome with a press conference. I though this idi.ot would have been apprehended by EFCC for abuse of Nigerian constitution once he stepped into the country. No wonder!!!
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 01, 2010
jumobi1:

If zoning is part of pdps unwritten constitution, j-Dogg should respect it and run under another party since he has a right to exercise.
[color=#990000][/color]
i doubt if he would win under any other party even if the election is free and fair
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by 4tune1(m): 6:58am On Jun 01, 2010
Hmmm, if you can't beat them you join them. Trying to play a smart one, yeye man.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by kosovo(m): 7:19am On Jun 01, 2010
Typical of Nigeria Politics, cheesy
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 01, 2010
This guys talks from all d compasses of his mouth. Or how did Kongi put it self.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Sonofpeace(m): 9:10am On Jun 01, 2010
Another frustrated embelic favor seeking retard speaking. This Aodooka or whatever is really a bleeping foolish sycophant.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by jamace(m): 10:21am On Jun 01, 2010
Politics, Politics. I laugh in WAZOBIA! grin grin grin
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by desgiezd(m): 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2010
Who really needs the opinion of Aondo[b]w[/b]anka
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Gekko(m): 2:00pm On Jun 01, 2010
~Bluetooth:

in politics,there is no enemity;just permanent interest.

Truetalk

men are so simple, and governed so absolutely by their present need - Niccolo Machiavelli
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 01, 2010
desgiezd:

Who really needs the opinion of Aondo[b]w[/b]anka

I wonder?
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Kx: 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2010
Typical nigerian politician,
no ideology.anywhere belle face
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by isimili: 2:18pm On Jun 01, 2010
Again looking at the picture it may be that we need to bear with him. He has got lice which may have been eating into his brains then and therefore did not allow him the opportunity to read and understand the constitution before all the gaffes he came up with. Jonathan be careful. A big confused psycho is about. He did not do the last regime any good and therefore likely to do you any good. keep well away from him and if possible send him back to his little shack of an office in Gboko.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 01, 2010
I have said it b4 Aondoakaa is a disgrace and shameless, inspite of all he did to frustrate president Goodluck ascendancy to power hes now trying to play the saint like his brother IBB. He should be prosecuted for his ignoble roles stalling prosecution of corrupt politicians while in government as AGF.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by nethacker(m): 2:27pm On Jun 01, 2010
i knw he will soon be jailed sha embarassed embarassed
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by tempest01(m): 5:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
Kx:

Typical nigerian politician,
no ideology.anywhere belle face
Na so
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by otokx(m): 8:31pm On Jun 01, 2010
Another candidate for the Psychiatric hospital in Rumuigbo, Port Harcourt.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by ADint(m): 9:24pm On Jun 01, 2010
Another 'repentant' and 'very wise man' grin. . . obviously not too keen on going to Dubai.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by OAM4J: 9:33pm On Jun 01, 2010
I though he will be telling us how Yaradua can rule from heaven.

Yeye man!
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by ayo84(m): 12:22am On Jun 02, 2010
AONDOKKA AGAIN!!!!
this guy shld shut up and bury his head in shame, the money he don chop never do am
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by canuck(m): 1:12am On Jun 02, 2010
@OP

LOL! See sucking up of the lowest order! grin
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by master2(m): 1:15am On Jun 02, 2010
sad( sad sad sad grin God is great! He's making all the once powerful people in this nation  to look and sound foolish e.g Aondoakaa ,IBB etc
  :At least the ''God dey'' prayer of a typical nigeria is not in vain
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by philip0906(m): 1:30am On Jun 02, 2010
@OP
it seems dat aondoakaa retard still hasn't gotten over from his fever, bloody RoosterDrinker undecided
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by nat138: 1:32am On Jun 02, 2010
I laugh in my language o, so this man is still walking about as a free man when he should probably be roasting in his village or one of those God forsaken islands in southern Africa, kai! people are so shameless, so he still has the guts to come up on the pages of news paper to open his wide mouth and talk, anyway sha I can see he has started his lobbying very early, well if he succeeds, maybe Uncle Joe may just make him CJF, God forbid bad thing o.
Aondoakaa, please  go and rest. Use the money you were paid/stole when you were in that Turai cabal to at least dig a borehole in your village.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.  
angry
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by edoyad(m): 1:40am On Jun 02, 2010
Nothing suprises me in Nigerian politics anymore. I believe there are absolutely no principles in that realm and the actors have absolutely nothing to do with integrity. Even if Aba Ruma comes out to lobby for the VP position i wouldn't be suprised, not even Farouq Mutallab coming back to lobby for US ambassador would suprise me, absolutely nothing.
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by na2day(m): 1:42am On Jun 02, 2010
why are we wondering why nigeria is the way it is now with men of such questionable character still roaming free, even working for UN, UN?
Re: 2011: Aondoakaa Backs Jonathan, No One Can Stop Jonathan by McCoy91(m): 6:18am On Jun 02, 2010
sycophant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Final Burial Rites Of Ojukwu To Begin On Saturday 11th February / Gbenga Obasanjo FB Chat With Gumsu Sani Abacha / Onitcha Gra I And Gra Ii

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.