Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke (733 Views)

How I’ll Handle Nat’l Assembly If Labour Party Is Not Controlling It – Obi / Don't Run Against Me In 2019 Election, Buhari Begs Nigerian Youths / See What Buhari Is Taking With Him To Daura If He Loses 2019 Election - Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by Famocious(m): 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2018
Former Governor of Cross River State, Donald Duke, says Nigeria’s economy has to grow at least 15% annually for 10 years “to recalibrate the system.”

Duke, who made this comment during an interview with Deutsche Welle Africa on Friday, June 8, 2018, revealed that to achieve this he will take a two-pronged approach that will involve lowering interest rates and exploring alternative energy options.

Asked how he will do better than Buhari, 56-year-old Duke said, “Creating jobs, jobs, jobs. Boom the economy. I’ll take two simple items”.

The presidential hopeful said: “First of all, you can’t grow your economy with the type of banking system you run where the interest rate regime is in the upper 20s.

You need to have affordable credits and that will enable the small and medium scale businessmen borrow and expand their businesses. Thousands of businesses have closed down because they can’t afford their interest rate regime, and this is self-inflicted.

“Nigeria grew faster when we had some form of regulation on interest rates and the interest rates were in the single digits. Our economy did a lot more better than it is doing today.

“Here you are flaring about 2 to 2.5 billion cubic feet of gas daily and we’ve done this for about 30 years. That’s equivalent to about 25 million litres of diesel that we burn on a daily basis. Now, all you need to do is clean up that gas, have a network, pipe it throughout the length and breadth of this country and make it available to industry.

“That’ll free electricity on the national grid for residential and domestic use but let the industry, particularly the baked energy consumers, be on gas. And hey, you’re flaring the gas, give the gas for next to nothing.
You can give it up for free because you’re flaring it anyway. That will be our subsidy due to industry. That will catalyse growth in the economy. That will create jobs for folks. That’ll pay itself back because your taxable return will be much higher than it is today.

“We import literally everything, we need to substitute. The things we can make here, we make them here but that would only happen if you have affordable credits and energy and of course the right policies”, he said.

Despite his opposition of Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, the former Governor supports his administration’s ban on rice importation, noting that it doesn’t benefit Nigerians in any way.

“We shouldn’t import what we can easily provide. We’re developing the economy, we need to create jobs and importing rice is just creating jobs overseas at the expense of our people”, he said.

Source :https://aledeh.com/2019-election-how-ill-save-nigerias-economy-donald-duke/

2 Likes

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by CodeTemplar: 7:53pm On Jun 09, 2018
Makes sense but implementation is always a challenge.
Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 7:56pm On Jun 09, 2018
Cc: lalasticlala
Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by ProjectNaija(m): 7:58pm On Jun 09, 2018
CodeTemplar:

Duke is tested and proven, implementation should not be a problem.
Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by bymigokeph: 8:24pm On Jun 09, 2018
This Nijeria not Cross Rivers State. Here they don't need brains to lead them
Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by LRNZH(m): 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2018
I hope he aligns properly with other opposition forces to create a formidable front.

2 Likes

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by magoo10(m): 8:50pm On Jun 09, 2018

You need to have affordable credits and that will enable the small and medium scale businessmen borrow and expand their businesses. Thousands of businesses have closed down because they can’t afford their interest rate regime, and this is self-inflicted

Meanwhile one of buhari's hardcore zombie was arguing that the fact that people are getting poor and busineses closing down proves that buhari is truly fighting corruption and I was like what kind of animal will vote a dullard that will make his people poor in the guise of fighting corruption.

Goodluck to you duke in your quest of making the lives of the people better.

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by DeOTR: 9:25pm On Jun 09, 2018
I'm voting for this man if he appears in the ballot.
He was supposed to be Yar Adua's Vice instead of Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by e7ejinima: 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2018
Balderdash! Same way he rescued Cross River and gave it the worst debt profile in the country. Cross River became the only State that AMCOM had to intervene in their debts because it couldn't pay failed Tinapa debts.

Bros, Parke well dia!

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by Famocious(m): 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I agree with you . The system of governance we practise will tell how successful he's going to be.

He can change Nigeria alone...

1 Like

Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by jumpandpas(m): 4:32am On Jun 10, 2018
Pls promise them more, they will vote for you.
They're too gullible.
Re: 2019 Election: How I’ll Save Nigeria’s Economy – Donald Duke by Cornerstone2020(m): 6:24am On Jun 10, 2018
No to Duke. I am only worried he will help Buhari win by the time he divides the votes against Buhari.

(1) (Reply)

OAU Sacks Professor Over Sex For Mark Scandal / How True Can This Be? / Akpabio’s Wife Donates House To Widow (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.