Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! (8415 Views)

Reporter Removes Clothes While Reporting On Ronaldo / Ethiopia Deny Attack On Nigeria Team Bus / Biased Reporting On London Meet -no News On Okagbare Win On Bbc,cnn,diamond Leag (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2010
[size=14pt]Please review this page and see how BBC has linked '419' to Nigeria's world cup campaign.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8670323.stm

Make sure you leave a complaint on their website[/size]
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by honeric01(m): 2:47pm On Jun 01, 2010
Una don suffer sad sad sad sad sad

illusion2:

World Cup 2010 team guide: Nigeria

OVERVIEW
World Cup guide: Nigeria

World Cup guide - Nigeria

Nigeria left it late to qualify for the World Cup - an 81st-minute winner against Kenya in the final qualifier seeing them through - and their preparations for South Africa have been similarly last minute. The decision to sack coach Shaibu Amodu following their third-place finish at the Africa Cup of Nations meant his replacement, Swede Lars Lagerback, effectively has just three weeks with his squad before the tournament. The Nigerian Football Federation has been fined by Fifa after changing their World Cup base late in the day, and there has also been confusion over the venues for their warm-up matches.

And while problems before the 1994 and 1998 World Cups did not prevent them from impressing in those tournaments, this squad does not contain the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha, Daniel Amokachi and Sunday Oliseh. John Mikel Obi is their only stand-out player, and he is recovering from a knee injury, while a squad that boasts plenty of pacey forwards also lacks quality midfielders.

Aim: The Nigerian Football Federation is targeting a semi-final place. That looks unlikely, but the side will be under pressure to reach the last 16 given the tournament is in Africa.

THREE KEY PLAYERS
Peter Odemwingie

PETER ODEMWINGIE A pacey right winger who can also play up front, Odemwingie was born in Uzbekistan to a Nigerian father and Russian mother and was rated by some observers as Nigeria's best player during the qualifying campaign.
John Obi Mikel

JOHN MIKEL OBI Nigeria's star player was named in the squad despite doubts over his fitness because of a knee injury. Usually a holding midfielder for Chelsea, he often plays further forward for Nigeria.
Vincent Enyeama

VINCENT ENYEAMA A veteran of the 2002 World Cup campaign, when he kept a clean sheet in the final game against England, the keeper scored nine penalties for his Israeli club this season.
World Cup photo album
THE MANAGER
Lars Lagerback

LARS LAGERBACK The experienced Swede, who took his home nation to the last 16 of the previous two World Cups, beat off competition from Sven-Goran Eriksson and Glenn Hoddle to land the job in February.

ADOPT THEM BECAUSE,

The Super Eagles are good for your inbox. Each year Nigerian fraudsters send millions of emails in an attempt to con people out of money, but World Cup success should distract them.

HOW THEY QUALIFIED

Yakubu

Nigeria's World Cup qualifying highlights (UK only)

W 2-0 South Africa (H)
W 1-0 Sierra Leone (A)
W 1-0 Equatorial Guinea (A)
W 2-0 Equatorial Guinea (H)
W 1-0 South Africa (A)
W 4-1 Sierra Leone (H)
D 0-0 Mozambique (A)
W 3-0 Kenya (H)
D 0-0 Tunisia (A)
D 2-2 Tunisia (H)
W 1-0 Mozambique (H)
W 3-2 Kenya (A)
Qualified top of group

WORLD CUP BEST

Reached last 16 in 1994 and1998. On their debut in 1994, they were leading Italy 1-0 with two minutes remaining before Roberto Baggio equalised and then scored an extra-time winner from the penalty spot to send his side into the quarter-finals.

Written by Tom McCoy
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 3:06pm On Jun 01, 2010
honeric01:

Una don suffer sad sad sad sad sad

World Cup 2010 team guide: Nigeria

OVERVIEW
World Cup guide: Nigeria

World Cup guide - Nigeria

Nigeria left it late to qualify for the World Cup - an 81st-minute winner against Kenya in the final qualifier seeing them through - and their preparations for South Africa have been similarly last minute. The decision to sack coach Shaibu Amodu following their third-place finish at the Africa Cup of Nations meant his replacement, Swede Lars Lagerback, effectively has just three weeks with his squad before the tournament. The Nigerian Football Federation has been fined by Fifa after changing their World Cup base late in the day, and there has also been confusion over the venues for their warm-up matches.

And while problems before the 1994 and 1998 World Cups did not prevent them from impressing in those tournaments, this squad does not contain the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha, Daniel Amokachi and Sunday Oliseh. John Mikel Obi is their only stand-out player, and he is recovering from a knee injury, while a squad that boasts plenty of pacey forwards also lacks quality midfielders.

Aim: The Nigerian Football Federation is targeting a semi-final place. That looks unlikely, but the side will be under pressure to reach the last 16 given the tournament is in Africa.

THREE KEY PLAYERS
Peter Odemwingie

PETER ODEMWINGIE A pacey right winger who can also play up front, Odemwingie was born in Uzbekistan to a Nigerian father and Russian mother and was rated by some observers as Nigeria's best player during the qualifying campaign.
John Obi Mikel

JOHN MIKEL OBI Nigeria's star player was named in the squad despite doubts over his fitness because of a knee injury. Usually a holding midfielder for Chelsea, he often plays further forward for Nigeria.
Vincent Enyeama

VINCENT ENYEAMA A veteran of the 2002 World Cup campaign, when he kept a clean sheet in the final game against England, the keeper scored nine penalties for his Israeli club this season.
World Cup photo album
THE MANAGER
Lars Lagerback

LARS LAGERBACK The experienced Swede, who took his home nation to the last 16 of the previous two World Cups, beat off competition from Sven-Goran Eriksson and Glenn Hoddle to land the job in February.

ADOPT THEM BECAUSE,

The Super Eagles are good for your inbox. Each year Nigerian fraudsters send millions of emails in an attempt to con people out of money, but World Cup success should distract them.

HOW THEY QUALIFIED

Yakubu

Nigeria's World Cup qualifying highlights (UK only)

W 2-0 South Africa (H)
W 1-0 Sierra Leone (A)
W 1-0 Equatorial Guinea (A)
W 2-0 Equatorial Guinea (H)
W 1-0 South Africa (A)
W 4-1 Sierra Leone (H)
D 0-0 Mozambique (A)
W 3-0 Kenya (H)
D 0-0 Tunisia (A)
D 2-2 Tunisia (H)
W 1-0 Mozambique (H)
W 3-2 Kenya (A)
Qualified top of group

WORLD CUP BEST

Reached last 16 in 1994 and1998. On their debut in 1994, they were leading Italy 1-0 with two minutes remaining before Roberto Baggio equalised and then scored an extra-time winner from the penalty spot to send his side into the quarter-finals.

Written by Tom McCoy

Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by semid4lyfe(m): 3:59pm On Jun 01, 2010
The writer dey craze. Wetin concern Super Eagles with 419? undecided Na thunder go fire that Tom McCoy yansh.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by bawomolo(m): 5:38pm On Jun 01, 2010
lol that was uncalled for and a cheap shot
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by illusion2: 7:59am On Jun 02, 2010
You guys should email BBC and complain about this nonsense
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by hollandis(f): 8:04am On Jun 02, 2010
Why does BBC like rubbishing our good image cool
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by davidif: 8:22am On Jun 02, 2010
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 8:45am On Jun 02, 2010
another slowpoke who calls himself journalist

i dont know how hes different from the 9ja journalists

what in Gods name does he want to achieve with his 419 spat?

writing for BBC doesnt mean shi.t
These guys arent intelligent afterall. I doubt if he went to a good school cos his IQ reads between 80-89 circa

what a doofus
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Sagamite(m): 9:26am On Jun 02, 2010
I have repeatedly written BBC about the conntinuous decline of the quality of journalists they hire into their rank.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Abuse: 11:34am On Jun 02, 2010
Lets call a spade a spade.We don't have good image.If you must complain about linking football to 419 then remember that even the NFF are also involved in 419 activities.They booked the worst hotels in Durban and again the booked a cheap flight that would have killed all the players because they wanted get kick backs.I am glad BBC are doing what they know best, which is ameboooo!!!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lexxwiz(m): 11:38am On Jun 02, 2010
Really,na Ogun go kill dat writer, I rilly dont see d connect with 419 n dat Story, Im nigreen 4 life,i no send BBC.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by lexxwiz(m): 11:41am On Jun 02, 2010
come @abuse; we all know dat an average Nigreen can con Jesus,why u dey sound like mumu, D players tell u say dem complain guy take time.
wen we all knw say we no go carry anytin come back so we start from d scratch dey save our money nah. jooor ooh
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dominique(f): 11:51am On Jun 02, 2010
Abuse:

Lets call a spade a spade.We don't have good image.If you must complain about linking football to 419 then remember that even the NFF are also involved in 419 activities.They booked the worst hotels in Durban and again the booked a cheap flight that would have killed all the players because they wanted get kick backs.I am glad BBC are doing what they know best, which is ameboooo!!!

is any country perfect? why there's fraud in other countries including the UK but it may not rampant like here.
imagine he was writing about his own country will he the racial killings to the national team? the guy is a bloody fool. our government should not let this slide. they must demand for an apology.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tmoni(m): 11:53am On Jun 02, 2010
The guy is a nonense reporter

not one of the favourites at beeb, he is an idiot

is there any way we can complain about this article

It was a foolish,  unsolicited and crass attempt at light humour

Very very disappointed, make my peeps for office no read that page sha
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Ben13: 11:53am On Jun 02, 2010
BBC won't stop this their HATE on Nigeria.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 02, 2010
Well if he smoked koro before he wrote that trash you cant blame him.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Sagamite(m): 12:05pm On Jun 02, 2010
Abuse:

Are you retarded?

Do you represent a nation with the activities of less than 1%?

Do you represent Britain with the utterances of BNP?

Or USA with KKK?

How do you know the flight was cheap? An assumption and stupid conjecture because you head it had a fault?

All these self-digenirate foools.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Abuse: 12:08pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Sagamite: I am very sure you are one of the fraudulent NFF officials. Have a glorious day with BBC.British man.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2010
British imperialism at play.can someone call dora's attention to this cuz i like to see what the federal govt would do about it.rubbish
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Mobinga: 12:13pm On Jun 02, 2010
dats so stupid,
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dominique(f): 12:29pm On Jun 02, 2010
i hate the BBC with a passion. i never watch their channels, listen to their radio or visit their website. but this useless article made me do the unthinkable; complain in their website. excerpts of my complaint.

the world cup overview article written on Nigeria by Ton McCoy is absolutely uncalled for and biased. the statement he wrote goes thus;

if that is not IGNORANCE i don't know what it is. Nigeria is a country of over 160 million people and a very low percentage of them may indulge in some fraudulent activities. that should give him no right to involve it in his write up.
It's so hard being a Nigerian nowadays because the likes of him always want to think the worst of us and the truth is that, most Nigerians have never conned anybody in their lives (including myself). It's absolutely unfair tagging an entire population of a crime committed by only a percentage of it. Will it fair if i tag the Brits with racial bigotry and go ahead to reflect it in an article? NO because, i know a few racists live amongst you (including Mr. McCoy). subscribing to stereotypes is absolutely immature, ridiculous and for a so-called journalist; unwise.
I'm speaking for millions of Nigerians by saying this; it will be greatly appreciated if that comment is removed from the article. if he doesn't have anything to put in the "adopt them because" segment, he should leave it blank.
thanks.

T. A
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by shotuns: 12:33pm On Jun 02, 2010
That, Toy mc+con man[/b]. or what did he called himself, is a damn fool, anyway, he is trying to do some advertisement, or probably having a personal dislike for this great nation (NIgeria) I guess also he has been a victim of fraud because he is greedy himself,  Just neglect him . CNN said more than that, we are still standing and living, A fool at 40 will always be a fool.
  Shame to you  Toy mc+con man[color=#990000][/color][b]
!
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dominique(f): 12:35pm On Jun 02, 2010
Abuse:

@Sagamite: I am very sure you are one of the fraudulent NFF officials. Have a glorious day with BBC.British man.

you don't have to post when your thinking faculties are not intact.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by tkb417(m): 12:38pm On Jun 02, 2010
Nice post Dominique

ill try to post mine later
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Tmoni(m): 12:58pm On Jun 02, 2010
@ dominique, maybe i should also send in my contempt for that article
how do u complain

meanwhile, just a quick glance at some of the other "notorious" (gang related, fracas driven) countries i.e the mexicos, brazils, north koreas

the stupid reporter tells you to adopt them for "good" reasons when you can clearly state the obvious e.g

Adopt them because:-

Mexico ---  Production and distribution of hard drugs (cocaine) might reduce as Capos, El Jefes and[i] tooties [/i] will be busy catching up with the latest scores and maybe give the workers the day off. Kidnapping and murder of state officals will subside due to the togetherness of a country during sporting triumpths. Might be the best time for the president to grant amnesty to sub lieutanats.

Brazil - Ongoing gang wars WILL stop as the whole country watches a Kaka mesmerised goal. Best time to broker Truce between rival gangs as the joy of steamrolling Portugal gets into the nations head. Extradition of the notorious kingpin can be easily done by denying him access to TV or sateliite signal.

North Korea - as a Korean war is looming in the background, this tournament can prove to be the calm before the storm for Koreans. More Humanitarian Aid can get to the Koreans as countries in their group will want to repay the Korean favour of loosing gallantly and allowing them progress to the next stage. We might even get an unfamilar sight of "Our Dear Leader" in a jubilant mood (not always in his GB face). What the hell, North and South koreans may see "eye to eye" on the same pitch for the first time in decades without UN acting as a refreee.

Nigeria - too much enjoyment people. Almost the whole nation have second teams which they support tongue. They recently lost their president and one of their greatest music stars who might have penned a world cup theme for them. That gives dem motivation to win the cup. They will prolly be the country with the most government officials in SA tongue tongue

Just Kidding on naija sha but seriously, BBC and western world as a whole need to stop bashing Nigeria.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by nearest(m): 1:08pm On Jun 02, 2010
BBC? forget them, some of these writers or journalists don't understand nigeria at all. First it was lord Trisman or whatever his name is that said Russia and Spain are planning to bribe officials at the world cup, now this mukite of a journalfool leaves football and takes a cheap shot at nigerians, should nigeria get to the second sound, they will start writing we've bribed our opponents.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by kooltoo(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2010
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by wirinet(m): 1:24pm On Jun 02, 2010
I do not mind Journalist writing about the 419 phenomenon in a related story, my only surprised was how the bbc journalist was able to link the profile of the Nigerian National team to 419. It is completely out of context.  It looks as if a different story was mistakenly inserted into his main story without the knowledge of the writer.

Every country has issues it is grappling with, like North Korea, Greece, and even Columbia. I do not see what an article on the Greek economic crisis would be doing in the middle of the profile of the Greek national team.

BBC seems to have lost it lately.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by Princek12(m): 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2010
I don't think the BBC writer meant that 419 represents most Nigerians, but rather that the 419ers will be busy watching the Super Eagles, a time during which they will refrain from sending scam emails to their targets, effectively reducing the amount of scam emails that will be received in the inbox of targets. While this may be true, I think anyone who is offended by this email has every right to complain against BBC, for BBC's stories about Nigeria lately are edging around outright disrespect to Nigerians.

Again, this story should send to Nigerians a message that we should self police ourselves and  try to stop all these 419 and deceptive activities so that other countries will not continue to ridicule us. Note: If you are a 419er you have no right to complain.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by dominique(f): 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2010
@Tmoni
you can contact them through this link
it's a tedious 5 step procedure but i just couldn't hold back.
Re: Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !! by wirinet(m): 1:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
Princek12:

I don't think the BBC writer meant that 419 represents most Nigerians, but rather that the 419ers will be busy watching the Super Eagles, a time during which they will refrain from sending scam emails to their targets, effectively reducing the amount of scam emails that will be received in the inbox of targets. While this may be true, I think anyone who is offended by this email has every right to complain against BBC, for BBC's stories about Nigeria lately are edging around outright disrespect to Nigerians.

Again, this story should send to Nigerians a message that we should self police ourselves and  try to stop all these 419 and deceptive activities so that other countries will not continue to ridicule us.

Mr prince, that section of the article is totally flawed and out of context, it reeks of malicious intent. If you have a basic knowledge of how the internet works, you would know that spam mails are not manually, it would be impossible to send thousands of span mail without the use of software - Email extractor and emailer. And these software work automatically, with very minimal human intervention. These emailers send mails to thousands of people day and night.

So i do not see how watching a few 90 mins football matches for a one month period can significantly reduce spam mails from Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rashidi Yekini Immortalized By Kwara State Government / Blessing Okagbare Wins 100M In Monaco Diamond League / Reward Me Here On Earth! Obuh Demands Coaches Be Honored While They Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.